JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

If they had never seen the Messiah their devotion to God would have still been a witness to their community. Their lives of righteousness and their devoutness stood out as an example. They had developed reputations because of their lives, this would have inspired others to live lives of righteousness and devoutness as well. And their fasting and intercessory prayer would also have had an impact that only God may have truly known.

Our lives are important to God, our actions and words and example to others may touch them in ways only He truly knows. An elderly woman at church yesterday encouraged us by saying that she often gets comments from people who say that something she did or said years ago touched them. Often she doesn't even remember the instance but they did. So she encouraged us to remain faithful and to continue to try to be good witnesses to others.

;) Simon's piety would be an example to all who came to the temple. His years of faithful service would cause others to examine their own service to God. Simon portrays a faithful servant who has done what God asked him to do. He has done his part and God will do the rest. Anna's faithfulness also would be an example to anyone who frequented the temple. They lived knowing God would keep His word. My life should show to others that I depend on God and serve as an example of what a life led by God should be. I am the only Gospel many people read and my life should show clearly God's love and plan for them. I should be recognized as being different from the world and if I am not I am not living the life God wants me to.

• 1 month later...

I believe that their lives were an example of what believers life should be, trusting the Lord and obeying, but also be patient and wait for the promisses given by the Lord. I believe that they were an example for other jewish people at that time and and example for us today. Also I believe that we as believers in our Lord Jesus Christ should act the same way they did. We need to be an example in our communities and work of place, being patient and sharing with others our beliefs and hopes.

• 2 months later...

2. If Simeon and Anna had never seen the Messiah, in what ways might their lives have been important?

Clearly these two people were fully committed and completely faithful to God. Though many years had passed, they remained true to God and His promises made to them. If there is one way I believe we can actually spur God on to accomplish His will, it is through dedicated Prayer and Fasting. So much so, I

• 7 months later...

Their lives of dedication.

As believers and children of God, our lives are very important to God.

• 4 years later...

If Simeon and Anna had never seen the Messiah their lives would still have been a testament to the Lord. It would have shown their faith, just as our lives do today. They lived in faith believing the promises God had made to them as we do today. Our lives are important today because we are a light for God that others can see and be drawn to.

• 3 months later...

Simeon and Anna had spent years of their lives, working, and praying in the Temple.They had devoted there lives to God, Doing good deeds and helping visitors to the temple. and they knew that one day they would see the messiah. Their faithfullness and Faith had been rewarded. but even if they had never met Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Their lives would have been the same. They would still have Loved and served their God. That is what God is asking of us today, that we believe in him, and love one another.

• 7 months later...

I realize you have long since moved on from this study but I've just stumbled across this blog by accident and I'm leading a study on Luke right now and it took us one whole night to cover the story of Simeon! This is just such a rich story.

For me, Simeon and Anna represent hope. They were two of Israel's children, the result of many generations of hope and expectation for the nation of Israel. Their parents probably passed on many stories of the sufferings and trials of Israel's children from generations prior. Can you imagine how their entire lives were changed by the infant Jesus? My eyes tear up when I think of the image of an old Jewish man and an old Jewish woman, each holding their salvation in their very own arms, each realizing that God has once again delivered one of His promises. Yeah, I'd be praising Him too! Wow, what an experience that must have been! To me, they are the epitome of hope and devotion. They are well worn by life, just like the nation of Israel. They are seasoned by life's trials, by little everyday challenges we still face, they have crows feet on their faces from smiling and frown lines from the sad times. Christ gave each one of those wrinkles value :>)

"34Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."

The visual image of the Old ways of the Jews who lived by the law is representative by both of their ages. The image of Christ as a child of God, the Messiah, was representative of a new birth for the World. Otherwise they could have met Jesus when he returned to the temple at age 12. The contrast would have not been nearly as significant as it was with two aged people and an infant.

Would they have known and recognized this infant was the Messiah if they had not spent time with God? It's hard to say, I think maybe not but scripture also tells us that God brings the hearts of His people, we don't.

You question, "In what way might their life have been important had they not seen the Messiah?" That's a tricky question. For them, prayers and worship and praise was their job, they were simply being faithful and believing what they could not see. At their age, that's how they contributed to society and their community.

For us, my life is important because I know and love the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Without Him, I'm nothing. And, if I'm not praising, praying, fasting, and loving then I'm not doing my job ;)

• 2 years later...

Q2. If Simeon and Anna had never seen the Messiah, in what ways might their lives have been important? In what might your life be important to God?

Even if Simeon and Anna had not seen the Messiah their lives would have been important as they both availed themselves for God to use and speak to; they both allowed the Holy Spirit of God to impart to them God's word and they both believed. We too can be important in God's kingdom by availing ourselves for God's eternal will to be done through us.

• 7 years later...
On 11/30/2002 at 10:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

2. If Simeon and Anna had never seen the Messiah, in what ways might their lives have been important? In what might your life be important to God?

They were both devoted to God in all of His laws and doctrines.  Examples to all people to wait on the salvation of the Lord.  My life is important to God because I feel that He has plans for me, really He has plans for everyone who love Him.  However I’ve been in the company of enemies, bloodthirsty Satanist’s but they never overpowered me, I’ve prevailed over all of my enemies because of my faith.  I’m meant to work for God in some way, maybe by being a minister.  I have to be encouraged by God and quietly listen to Him for I don’t want to miss His plans for me.

• 1 year later...
On 11/10/2008 at 1:51 PM, susan@sonflowergifts.com said:

I realize you have long since moved on from this study but I've just stumbled across this blog by accident and I'm leading a study on Luke right now and it took us one whole night to cover the story of Simeon! This is just such a rich story.

For me, Simeon and Anna represent hope. They were two of Israel's children, the result of many generations of hope and expectation for the nation of Israel. Their parents probably passed on many stories of the sufferings and trials of Israel's children from generations prior. Can you imagine how their entire lives were changed by the infant Jesus? My eyes tear up when I think of the image of an old Jewish man and an old Jewish woman, each holding their salvation in their very own arms, each realizing that God has once again delivered one of His promises. Yeah, I'd be praising Him too! Wow, what an experience that must have been! To me, they are the epitome of hope and devotion. They are well worn by life, just like the nation of Israel. They are seasoned by life's trials, by little everyday challenges we still face, they have crows feet on their faces from smiling and frown lines from the sad times. Christ gave each one of those wrinkles value :>)

"34Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."

The visual image of the Old ways of the Jews who lived by the law is representative by both of their ages. The image of Christ as a child of God, the Messiah, was representative of a new birth for the World. Otherwise they could have met Jesus when he returned to the temple at age 12. The contrast would have not been nearly as significant as it was with two aged people and an infant.

Would they have known and recognized this infant was the Messiah if they had not spent time with God? It's hard to say, I think maybe not but scripture also tells us that God brings the hearts of His people, we don't.

You question, "In what way might their life have been important had they not seen the Messiah?" That's a tricky question. For them, prayers and worship and praise was their job, they were simply being faithful and believing what they could not see. At their age, that's how they contributed to society and their community.

For us, my life is important because I know and love the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Without Him, I'm nothing. And, if I'm not praising, praying, fasting, and loving then I'm not doing my job ;)

Thank you for your passion and insights. All so beautiful thoughts. My temperment is not so gentile and flowing. I wonder if you will ever get my post, but if you do can you respond to my thought on this question. I find it a silly question because my response would be, " I don't know in what way was Moses' or Elijah's life important because they did not see the Messiah?"

On 11/30/2002 at 10:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

2. If Simeon and Anna had never seen the Messiah, in what ways might their lives have been important? In what might your life be important to God?

It seems a strange question. On the surface everyone agrees their lives were important even before they met the Messiah. We only know of them though because of this Biblical record. Just as we know of Moses and Elijah. These men are the federal heads of the law and the prophets and yet they had never seen the Messiah with their own physical eyes. Would we dare ask in what way Moses or Elijah's lives were important since they never saw Jesus? I see in this Biblical record of Simeon and Anna another important fact of the testimony of two witnesses. They also speak of the judgement that Jesus would bring (being the flip side of salvation of course).