JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

;) 4. What place do praise and thanksgiving have in Simeon's and

Anna's lives?

This is their life.

What does this say about them?

That they are fully dedicated to the Lord.

How do we nurture these in our lives?

By following the Lord.

Why does our culture see long periods spent in

prayer as wasted?

Never heard of a wasted prayer, prayer is a means of communication with the Lord how can this be wasted time.

What place do praise and thanksgiving have in Simeon's and Anna's lives?

That was the first thing they ever did ...

They realised that they were dependant on the only living God, in His care and couldn't be or recieve anything if it was't for (from) Him. They probably also learned to have joy in all circumstances. (I'm reminded of Phil 4:4)

It's a decision ... it's a filling our ears and minds with Godly things ... it's to draw aside and seek God's perspective when we face difficult times ... it's actively praysing Him always & everywhere!!!

Why does our culture see long periods spent in prayer as wasted?

We are doers ... we don't want to wait ... we want to see results (answers) yesterday.

The church (in general) has for a long time prayed selfish prayers and not prayed in Spirit and truth and therefore not according to God's will and have seen little of these answered in ways that they expected.

So why bother?

They have not experienced praying on the Father's lap yet ... in His presence

We don't lead prayerful lives - we don't know what it means ... aren't continuously in His presense and in conversation with our Friend as it should be.

How did Anna see it?

This was her calling ... this was her purpose for existing (as it should be ours)!

ALL praise and honour and glory and strength be to our God! :lol:

Simeon is described as just and devout, the text doesn't indicate how much time he spent on prayer and worship but to develop such a reputation it must have been a significant amount. And when he offered his "psalm" of praise to God it flowed out of him so naturally which indicates he was no stranger to praising God. Anna is remarkable--she "did not depart from the temple but Served God with fasting and prayers night and day". Certainly prayer was no waste of time for her. This lifestyle is not for everyone, certainly the special circumstances of her life led her to this type of service, but it challenges all of us to think of how we could devote more of ourselves to God. I also identify with Anna as a single person--without the demands of family she had the freedom to devote her time to God in this way. I can also use my time as a single person to devote myself more to God--though it's not easy. ;) Today far too many other things strive for my time and attention.

• 1 month later...

I believe that praise and thanksgiving in Simeon's and

Anna's lives had priority one in their daily lives. Their faith, hope, patience and obedience proves that. In my own life I can say that I not always have been thankfull to what Jesus has done for me, and I try every day to thank Him for saving me from eternal death. I think that we should thank Him more often and dedicate more time to spent with Him.

I think that the culture in US somehow has departed from the first love, material things have replaced Christ in many families, the rush to live our lives is an example of that, fewer people stop to take time to enjoy God's creation (flowers, a beautiful sunset, the change in stations, spring, winter, birds singing, etc). Churches have been replaced by TV preachers, more and more people are spending Sundays home.

For the contrary Anna and Simeon spent all day long in the temple worshipping God and waiting patiently for the answer to their prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

These were the things they lived for and spent their time on. I think that we admire people who devote long periods of time to fasting and prayer and may even expect our pastor's or spititual leaders to do it but we don't take time to arrange our lives so that we have time for extended times of prayer and worship. we are missing out on a great experience with God and I feel like many of us, myself included, don't know what we are missing by not giving Him more of our time.

• 2 months later...

4. What place do praise and thanksgiving have in Simeon's and Anna's lives?

The amazing facts about Simeon and Anna

• 7 months later...

Verse 25 - 26 says: And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghose, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ. Verse 36 - 37 says: And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of the Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser; she was a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. Verse 38 says: And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

They were devoted, loyal believers of God and obedient.

• 4 years later...

Praise and thanksgiving were Simeon and Anna's main priority in life.

They were devout.

We nurture praise and thanksgiving in our lives by giving God time in our lives every day. Our journey started with one step and each day we draw closer. The journey will end in Heaven if we remain faithful and obey, praising and thanking God for who he is and what he does.

Our culture is based on worldly wisdom and not on the power of prayer.

Anna saw prayer as most important.

• 3 months later...

Their lives were spent in Prayer and praise to God. This was the most important part of their Lives in the temple.

We are always rushing and tearing about, never spending a lot of time in prayer, we must try and slow down and spend time to pray. not only to pray, but to open our minds and listen.and make a space for the Holy spirit to come into our lives.

• 2 years later...

Q4. What place do praise and thanksgiving have in Simeon's and Anna's lives?

Praise and thanksgiving kept both Simeon and Anna in the temple doing the same day and night, looking forward to the fulfilment of the promise.

This attitude of worship says that they both lived devoted lives and kept worship as priority.

We nurture these by intentionally presenting ourselves befor God and offer praise and thanksgiving. This offering can be done anyplace and at all times.

Why does our culture see long periods spent in prayer as wasted?

Our culture see long periods spent in prayer as wasted because we dont appreciate the power of prayer and the presence of God which we have when we are in focused communion with God.

How did Anna see it?

Anna saw it as her life long service to God; to her I don't thing anything else counted.

• 7 years later...
On 11/30/2002 at 10:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

4. What place do praise and thanksgiving have in Simeon's and Anna's lives? What does this say about them? How do we nurture these in our lives? Why does our culture see long periods spent in prayer as wasted? How did Anna see it?

Both Simeon and Anna were devout to God’s laws and doctrines.  They spent a lot of time in the Temples of God worshipping and fasting waiting for the salvation of the Lord.  They were God’s people, following His commandments and full of expectation of His salvation through Christ.  A lot of time people pray but lack the faith to have the things they ask for to come to pass.  God is capable of giving every prayer ever said to come true, but many times we don’t receive because God is saying I have something better for you.  He see’s the whole picture and He loves when His children have faith.  Anna saw being devoted to God to be her duty and to see the Christ child the one who would redeem Jerusalem and eventually the entire world.  

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2002 at 10:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

4. What place do praise and thanksgiving have in Simeon's and Anna's lives? What does this say about them? How do we nurture these in our lives? Why does our culture see long periods spent in prayer as wasted? How did Anna see it?

Here is an interesting thought. Simeon's name means "harkening" or listen. When the Holy Spirit had revealed to him that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ, He listened. Then he listened when the Spirit told him it was time to go to the temple. Then he gave something for the Child's parents and all to listen to.

Anna, her name means grace. And that is exactly what she received and dispensed as she told all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem. For how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.

Our Culture? O Lord have mercy. We are so self sufficient that we have no need to humbly kneel and seek him who is our daily bread.

• 4 years later...