JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Outside the City

Q4. Three times in these two chapters, John stresses that those who continue to practice sin will not enter. Read Revelation 21:8, 27; 22:14-15; and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. What things in these passages point to salvation by the grace of God rather than mere salvation by right living? In what way is holy living important to salvation? Why is holy living important to God?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I was saved I lived like 1 Corinthians 6:9. Whether actually commited or not these things were in me. There is no right living except by the grace of God. To me the desire for holy living and the ability to perform are the result of salvation and the power of the Holy Sprit to lead guide and convict. Even though I had the desire before I was saved I had not the power to perform. Now I can confess and be cleansed by Him whereas before I could not cleanse myself.

Holy living glorifies God.

I still have a long way to go but He has promised to complete the good work He started in me.

God Bless

Jen

We see that there are many sins listed in the scripture of which we are not able to let God see or we cannot go to where he is. He is not able to look upon sin. We are seen by God only through the blood of Jesus with him coming to earth as a baby preaching the word, dieing on the cross and rising again on the third day we would never be in the presents of the Amighty God. To live Holy and Rightous is important to God because he cannot look upon sin and we want to see him face to face and worship him.

We have a choice to serve God or not that is free will. He gave that to us and we are blessed if we keep his commandments and we shall eat of the tree of life and we know that God can't look upon sin that is why he send Jesus to die for our sins he does not see them through the blood of his son. Nothing we can do would hide the sin from God only what Jesus did for us will let us enter into the presence of the Almighty God. Living right will not get you to heaven many people have been raised with good morals and do what they think is right. If they do not except Jesus as their Lord and Savior they too will be cast down for work will not get your name in the Lamps book of Life. Holy living is important to God because he can't look upon sin and we are to live holy and righteous before our God. He is worthy of all we do to Praise him and lift him up. Glory to God. :D

1 Those who are washed, sanctified, justified( I Co. 6:11); pure, who doesn't do what is shameful, or deceitful, those who have names in the book of life(Rev. 21:27); those who have their robes washed, the have the right to the tree of life, and can go thru the gates into the city. (Rev. 22:14).

2 Holy Living is a sanctification that is brought about by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Sanctification means be set apart for God.

3 When we live Holy before God, He wants us. So we can experience life more abundantly (John 10:10). He wants us to go deeper into the Holies of H :unsure: olies

"Be wholly as I am Wholly"

Powerful statement from God

this is not to take lightly, instead

we must take this to heart and see

how powerless we are without Him

by myself I can only do a little whith

Him I can do all things that are right

and bring peace and joy in peoples lives.

John drives the point home several times

for those who did not hear the first time become

aware the second or third time. God loves his

children and through His grace we are alive today

and through his mercy we have been forgiven and

brought to a new way of living. Living by the Word

of God.

We are not wholly yet, instead we keep making

mistakes to santifie our lives so we can become

wholly as He is so we can enter the gates by His

grace and our faith.

Faith without works is dead

By faith I show you the works of my Savior

Christ Jesus and invite you to pray in thanks given

for His blessings for this forum.

Your brother in Christ Jesus. Jesus A.

Salvation has always come from faith, our faithful God. The covenant was stated way back in Genesis 15:17 - - when God showed Abraham, that this covenant was made by God to man. Abraham was justified by faith, not by the law.

The instructions/torah of God show us how to live bountifully on this earth and prepare us for a life in heaven. When we fall in love with God, we want to do everything to please Him, it is not about our works making us perfect, it is about our heart attitude that desires to be perfect for Him. It is only by God's strength that we can perform. Ezekiel 26:26 - God says "A new heat I will give oyu, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you and make you follow my statues and be careful to observe my ordinances."

It is quite simiple, we are obedient to God's instruction because we are saved by grace and God puts His Spirit within us and writes the laws on our hearts and minds, causing us to obey.

The practicing of sin is habitual sin - - an attitude of sin - - knowingly choosing the wrong way consistently.

Why important to God - - because we were created in His image and for His glory, by obedience, we honor HIm - - we reflect Him so others can see Him through our life.

Glory to God - :rolleyes: " He has given us everything pertainint to life and Godliness."

Salvation is a free gift from God through the blood of His Son Jesus Christ.

However, it is our responsibility to live in obedience to God's will and change our lives. This is what God expects and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit reminds us of.

Those who chose to go on in sin will ultimately pay the price.

susan

;) Those who have not accepted Christ and His offered salvation will not be a part of this "new creation". They will be lost forever. Holy living is a part of accepting Jesus just as acccepting a person or an idea affects your natural life. No one contnues in a way of life that is offensive to a truly loved friend and no one will refuse to follow the standards of living a Godly life once they accept His gift of salvaiton.

Q4. Three times in these two chapters, John stresses that those who continue to practice sin will not enter. Read Revelation 21:8, 27; 22:14-15; and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. What things in these passages point to salvation by the grace of God rather than mere salvation by right living? In what way is holy living important to salvation? Why is holy living important to God?

What things in these passages point to salvation by the grace of God rather than mere salvation by right living? 1 Cor. 6:11 But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Christ is the way, the only way. If we repent and turn to Jesus our sins have been washed away by His sacrifice. And because of this God has accepted us and we are set apart for God

Jesus paid the price for our sin. Only by faith can we accept Jesus' sacrifice upon the cross. None of our works can get us into heaven, only faith in Jesus and accepting Him as our Savior and Lord.

Holy living is important to salvation because sin and righteousness cannot mix. God is holy, He hates sin and won't co-exist with it.

Holy living is important to God because it pleases Him.

These things point to salvation by the grace of God rather than mere savation by right living are being washed of their sins, repentence and faith. Holy living is important toGod because it shows Him that our hearts are seeking Him and His glory. Although as sinners we are not perfect, our intentions are what God is searching.

Reading these passage states several characteristics of unbelievers. This doesn't mean that the ones practicing this will automatically and inevocably excluded from heaven. Those that sin in the ways stated in the different passages can have their lives changed by Christ. He came and gave his life that we might be saved.

Holy living is important to salvation because God expects his followers in any age to have high standards. God is holy, so we should be holy(live holy lives). Holy living is important to God because holy living shows that we belong to God. We should let our light so shine before man that they might see our good work and glorify the Father which is in heaven.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus paid the price for all our sins. Therefore, we must believe and live the way God wanted us to be. Believe in Him and His word.

:P I Corin 6:11 " and that is what some of you were. But you were: 1) wahsed 2) sanctified 3) justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the spirit of our God. "

We were sinners but we are redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus Christ, into holy living. We

have been shown the WAY, to live a holy life wothy of the calling and the promise we have in Jesus Christ. So let us be watchful every moment and continue to run the race till the Lord takes us into His eternal kingdom.

We can all point to times when we have been in these horrid categories, in thought if not in deed! Therefore everyone of us must wash robes in Jesus righteousness (blood) without which we can have no part of Him. In the washing we are sanctified (made holy). and justified (given the garments of righteousness which we can by no means make for ourselves, our righteousnesses being filthy rags compared to the good works He has prepared for us to walk in.

Rev 21:7 promises this heritage to "he who conquers". Our hearts must be in the right place, deeply seeking relationship with God, with obedience. This is the only way God can see that we value the relationship - we put everything into it, as indeed God already has done. This is the only way to have communion with Him. This is how the relationship becomes mutual, how we can become friends of God.

You have to believe,and accept Jesus Christ as your Savior,believing Jesus died for your sins,covering you with His blood,all your sins are forgiven by the grace of God.Like the women at the well,Jesus told her to go and sin no more.That is what we are to do.We are to love God and seek out the things he wants us to do.Learn to hear his voice.Pray for God to lead ,guide and direct you through a narrow path.I believe God will lead you to your calling,and you will know what to do.All of the works we do for God is from our hearts,not from the flesh, seeking out glory for yourself,Then your works are in vain,or you could call it sin.I believe when you accept Jesus salvation,you change,you want to change for the good of your soul.You want to live a holy life.Your only "Hope" is Jesus Christ.We are not perfect,we are human,"but I believe through Jesus Christ we will do all we can to live a holy life."Grace ,Grace,and More Grace",Amen!

• 1 month later...

Q4. Three times in these two chapters, John stresses that those who continue to practice sin will not enter. Read Revelation 21:8, 27; 22:14-15; and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. What things in these passages point to salvation by the grace of God rather than mere salvation by right living?

1. Those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

2. Blessings, rights, transportation through the gates of heaven for those who are washed by the blood; those who wash their robes.

3. Sanctification, justification, and walking in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God (Holy Spirit).

In what way is holy living important to salvation? Why is holy living important to God?

God wants us to be holy for God is holy. So it is important to God that we become holy. And by his grace in us we change. We work out our salvation and repent to become like the image he wants us, holy and pure. For God is pure and all in His Kingdom will be. For we are to become like Him. So we practise now and prepare and he sees our willingness and helps us along the way.

We are asked to be faithful and true to obey the word and do what is asked, his will. That means to live lives of pureness. To live like Jesus did as example. For this will be how we are to be in the kingdom, like Jesus. What is asked, we do practise so when we enter the gates with thanksgiving and praise it will be walking into a life of holy living forever.

So, we are becoming and how else do we become but, by noting changes to be made and ask for his help to make the necessary changes. His grace in us helps us to do all things and to live life in pureness, holiness, not by our will but by His will.

• 1 month later...

Q4. Three times in these two chapters, John stresses that those who continue to practice sin will not enter. Read Revelation 21:8, 27; 22:14-15; and 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. What things in these passages point to salvation by the grace of God rather than mere salvation by right living?

He wants us to live right, but that alone will not be enough. We must accept the sacrifice that Jesus made for us before we will be redeemed. It tells us that those who deny Him will face His wrath and judgment and nothing unclean will enter Heaven. If we are not cleansed by the blood of the Lamb we will be judged as unclean.

In what way is holy living important to salvation?

Because God says that He wants us to be holy and live holy lives.

Why is holy living important to God?

Because God expects complete obedience from us. He is holy and He wants us to be like Him. If we are to be obedient to Him then we need to lead holy lives. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the Tree of Life..."

This is telling us that salvation is through Christ' shed blood. Holy living is important because others are watching. Also it will determine what gifts we'll receive in heaven. It is important to God beacuse it shows him we are serious.

• 1 month later...

The whole Word is about Salvation by the Grace of God and it is exciting to find Jesus through out the Old Testament as well (Hidden Manna), when The Holy Spirit points out things that were at one time not obvious because of looking for specific answeres or referencing scriptures back & forth for clarity on a specific answer. All of the sudden He show's you more, in that I find it amazing that for the most part, I already knew what He has showed me, or rather Reminded me of :D

If we are not living Holy Lives, and we are trying to get to Heaven, then we are trying to sneak in some other way, and that's not happening!!!

• 6 months later...

Even after baptism, acceptance of Christ and confirmation into the church etc., human beings are fallible, and will sin. It will usually be small sins, because hopefully, we are living holy lives to the extent that we can. The important thing is intent. First, we have a duty to avoid temptation wherever possible, then if we do sin, to acknowledge it, and ask for forgiveness immediately. If we stay out of selfishness, and act for the good of other primarily, then we should be fine because of the Grace of god AND salvation by right living.

In what way is holy living important to salvation?

By keeping a clean life to the best of our ability we are setting an example on the good life that is available to those who want it, thereby setting up an attraction to goodness and compassion, bringing more people into the service of the Lord.

Why is holy living important to God?

Because it is the Holy that perform good acts for others here on earth

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Rev 22:14 - 15 Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

1Cr 6:9 - 11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Those who do not and will not repent of their sins cannot be washed in the blood of the Lamb for it is only in such acts that we are made perfect and whole through Christ our Lord and the Spirit that dwells within us. Living righteously means knowing that anything not done in faith is sin - and we cannot possibly begin to comprehend that all things we do are in total faith, therefore as we are humble and unknowing, surrendering our own flesh and pride, we admit that we cannot possibly know the extent and width of our sins and therefore repent of the same knowing that our God knows our heart true. When we place our sins under the blood, we are washed and made new through Christ our Lord - there is no record kept of our sins when we repent. They are gone.

Living righteously means repenting of our sins and acknowledging that we are nothing but in Christ we are made new. By our acts we cannot win salvation, it is only by faith - lest we boast.