JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Giving an Account

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think non-Christians and Christians alike don't like the idea of giving an account of their actions because we are ashamed our them. We know we've done wrong. Giving an account of our actions should inspire within us to do what is good and right. We should live with the attitude that God knows everything; what we do and what we think. We can hide nothing from Him and this should cause us to live in humble repentence and long to hear the words, "well done good and faithful servant."

They do not like giving account because they do not want to admit to their actions and they feel that their actions are justified, right, or just plain no one's business but their own. That we are giving an account of ourselves so that we may be judged accordingly. Our attitude must be serious and watchful in our prayers.

3a.) (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

3a.) "..since they do not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done." Romans 1: 28

3b.) (4:5-7) Why don't we Christians like it?

3b.) "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:5 We all like being our own Gods and always think we know what is best for us.

3c.) (4:5-7) What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?

3c.) "You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own." Leviticus 20:26 Living a life of repentance through the power of the Holy Spirit.

3d.) (4:5-7) With what attitude should we live as a result?

3d.) "Therefore my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2:12 Amen and A-A-A-men!

Q3. (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions? Why don't we Christians like it? What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us? With what attitude should we live as a result?

People today have been raised to believe that whatever they want to do, it's their business and none of any one else's! This attitude shows up in the anger at the idea that anyone--including Almighty God--would ever question what they want to do, or judge us for it! They do not submit to authority here on earth, so why do so to some hidden being that they don't even believe in?

Why don't Christians like it? We, too, like to think our little "mistakes" aren't important enough for God to do more than wink at. But, if we don't come to Him in remorse and confess, asking His forgiveness, we will one day kneel before Him in our filthy, sinful rags as He judges us. Give an account of our actions? Even those we would not admit to those around us? Horrors! That is why I try to keep close accounts with my Lord--going to Him as soon as I realize I failed again to obey His laws, and asking for His forgiveness--again. Then spending time thanking and rejoicing in His love that gave us Jesus as our Savior!!! :D

What should be our attitude? That of a sinner who knows we cannot keep from sinning in our own strength--that we must stay close to Him, in prayer, in thought, and action. Only the Holy Spirit active within us can warn us and give us the strength to avoid the temptations that satan continually puts in front of us, in his attempt to draw us away into his camp!

Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

Most likely for the same reason Christians struggle with "accountability" (see below) :unsure:

Why don't we Christians like it?

Typically it is the emotions that arise from reason and imagination that motivate our behavior. We "feel" the embarrassment and the "unpleasant sensation" of humiliation and all of the other emotions associated with imagining ourselves confessing our deepest darkest sins and fears to the very people we have represented ourselves to as "fine and dandy" and "blessed of the Lord" Sunday after Sunday. :(

What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?

Logically, we should be inspired to pursue accountability in the present, knowing that it will inevitably be thrust upon us. However we tend to be motivated in the moment by that which is most pressing, and the difficulty imagined in facing ones peers with an intimate confession is often far more "real" to us in the moment than the knowledge that we will be held accountable before God when the number of our days is fullfilled. :ph34r:

With what attitude should we live as a result?

It's been said that maturing spiritually is supplanting lies with the truth. We all must be willing to continually challenge our "vain" (profitless) imagination in obedience to The Word: "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2Cr 10:5).

Phl 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

E.g. Christ humbled himself and became the servant of ALL, being empowered by the knowledge of the Glory that awaited him in heaven.

Conclusion: Our attitude (the direction we lean in our minds) must be tempered by a constant awareness and continual remembering of the glory of our calling, Eternal Life with Christ, so that we may be filled with His perfect love (...perfect love casteth out fear: 1Jo.4:18) and "supplant" the lie that confronting our fears and imaginings in the moment is to much for us to bear.

2Cr 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding [and] eternal weight of glory;

Non-Christians don't feel accountable because morality (to them) is a pesonal matter - "what's right for you is not necessarily what's right for me" -one of the fall-outs of our post-modern times. Christians don't like it because we recognize sin and hate to admit that sin is in our lives. We need to confront sin, see it as contrary to what God wants for us (which turns out to be the bets possible way to live on earth) and recognize that we cannot live Christian lives without the empowering of the Holy Spirit.

Non christians don't like he idea of accountabilty for the simple reason of rebellion. The old saying no one will tell me what to do! That statement and the one if it feels good then it must be right. These kind of thoughts are simply not wanting to show accountabilty. When you have to be accountable for your words, action and deeds the old nature has to be reeled in. Most people have never liked being accountable to anyone not even christians. Even today there are christians that think theirs is the only way something can get done and their way is the only way to show how a christian should conduct themselves. Some even go so far as to think if you don't worship as I do you are dry bones. We need to account for our actions so we can stand in the presences of our Lord. Once you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior the meaning of being accountable takes on a whole new meaning to me. I want to be accountable and I want to be walking, talking and acting in a way that will bring glory to the Lord. My attitude is one of servant. Trusting in that Jesus wants only the best for me, even though sometimes I might not see it as the best right away. I trust in the Word and try to walk in the path set before me even when I stumble I know I will be forgiven. As Easter draws near one can fully appreciate what the cost was for our salvation and eternal life. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!!!!!!

Q3. (4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions? Why don't we Christians like it? What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us? With what attitude should we live as a result?

1.Why don't non-Christians like the idea of having to give an account of their actions. a) God made us as independent moral agents with freedom of will to choose. The realization of having to answer for one's choices makes us responsible for our actions. It means that there is a power outside of and higher that ourselves. If this is such then we are constrained to making a choice of agreeing with this higher power or acting in rebellion to it. It also means that if we act in rebellion to it we are setting ourselves up as that higher power IE saying "I will be like the most high". Every act of rebellion is rooted in self and is selfish. I suppose we could also say that "...men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." Jn 3:19-20 Also 2Cor 4:3,4 b)Non-Christians don't like this idea because in the hearts of all men God has placed a conscience that bears witness to the truth. Men intuitively know when they are in error and that sin is tangible and real. Romans 2:15 "Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another" There is therefore "...a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries." Heb 10:27 They know in their hearts they have an appointment they have to keep

2. Why don't Christians like this idea? a)I don't think we should use an encompassing "we Christians" to indicate that we don't like the idea of having to give account. Personally even though I feel totally unprofitable and in many ways feel I have let Him down, I still don't dislike the idea. The God I know is pitiful and loving, merciful and kind. He has a father heart toward His children and longs to give them the kingdom. What ever my reward in heaven, if any, there will be dancing and great rejoicing from the greatest to the least. Unfortunately there probably are some Christians who don't like it. a) They have a wrong conception of God. Who He is, His character, nature and heart. I would say they are ignorant of the Word. Perhaps they are babies and need to be taught the first principles of Christ again. b)They are holding on to some sin. In otherwords they harbour idols in their hearts. Regardless of your predestinary predisposition :) this is dangerous ground to tread upon. We won't go there. c)they don't like it because self and not spirit is doing the thinking. Self and its works are always in enmity to spirit and its works. I think that if you don't like the idea of accountability there is "something rotten in Denmark" :( and you need to examine yourself to see if you are in the faith.

3.The realization of accountability. a)The realization that we have not been living with this knowledge should lead us to repentance because we have been going our own way. 2 Corinthians 7:11 " For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, [what] clearing of yourselves, yea, [what] indignation, yea, [what] fear, yea, [what] vehement desire, yea, [what] zeal, yea, [what] revenge! In all [things] ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter."

b)It should inspire in us watching and waiting upon and for our Lord. The word wait indicates a servant who has hiseyes fixed upon his lord so that he can be ready to meet his every need. If we will wait upon the Lord we need to be ready with "...your loins be girded about, and [your] lights burning" Lk 12: 35-48 We also need to watch unto prayer. Especially that the eyes of our understanding would be opened so that we might know the hope of His calling and the greatness of His power to us-ward. Also "...be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord [is]." Eph 5:17 c)This realization will also instill in me i.the mind to be ethical and upright in all my dealings ii. to carefully watch my relationships with all people for I will also give account for this.

4. As a result the attitude we should have is one of the fear of God. A fear lest we allow ourselves to wander and our zeal to grow cold. Psalms 19:9 "The fear of the LORD [is] clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD [are] true [and] righteous altogether. :11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: [and] in keeping of them [there is] great reward."

Christian and non-christian don't like to give account of their sins because that would mean having to admit to them. When we actually admit them we know there is a responsibility that goes with it. WE either repent or keep living in sin. We would have to make a choice.

Knowing that we have to give an account of our action shoud inspire us to live the way God has told us to live. We should be alert and sober because Christ is to return and we need to live a life of obedience.

NON-CHRISTIANS LIKE THE IDEA OF NOT GIVING ACOUNT

(CONFESSING), BECAUSE THEY DO NOT BELIEVE AND HAVE

NO RESPECT FOR ANY OF THE LAWS WEATHER DIVINE OR

HUMAN.

NO RESPECT FOR GOD NOR FOR THIS COUNTRY, NOT FOR

NATURE, NOT FOR ANY FORM OF RELATIONSHIPS. THIS

PROBABLY DESCRIBES PRETTY MUCH OUR CONTEMPORARY

SOCIETY.

MANY OF US WERE TOLD THAT GOD IS A PONISHING GOD

SO WE DEVELOP THIS FEAR TO NOT LET ANYONE KNOW

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH US, MUCH LESS GOD.

THE REALIZATION THAT WE MUST CONFESS, INSPIRES ME

TO HAVE A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS, I OPEN

MY HEART AND HE COMES AND LIVES IN AN A WAY THAT

IS MIRACULOUS.

AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUD TOWARDS GOD, THE HOLY SPIRIT

AND THE SON CHRIST JESUS.

THIS WAY OF LIVING AS A RESULT OF HONESTLY CONFESSING

OUR SHORT-COMINGS, EXPRESSING OUR WEAKNESESS AND LET

GOD MAKE THEM OUR STRENGTHS.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU TODAY.

Non Christians don't want to be reminded of their wrong doings. We, as Christians, are the same -- We are also hurt that we have lowered ourselves of our expectations. We have not only hurt ourselves but also those around us and most of all our Lord who gave His life for MY sins. The realization that we must give an acoounting of our actions inspires us to want to bring our actions up to a level acceptable in God's sight.. To do this we must exert more self control of our mental and physical actions. As a result we should accept the attitude of being alert.

Because of their ego and pride. We don't like it because of the shame we feel because we should know better. We should be inspired to really think about what we're going to do and then don't do it if it's not in line with Christs' will. We should have the attitude of a humble servent as Christ did. Live an obedient life and don't be an offense or stumbling block to others (both believers and non-believers).

Nonchristians as well as Christians do not like the idea of giving account for their actions, for we are afraid we will receive just punishment.

This realization should make us want to live our lives according to God's standards.

We should live with an attitude of Love and Forgiveness. :D

No one likes to have their secret selves exposed to the light. We all fear looking in the mirror at our true selves. As true Christians, hovever, we must try to die to sin every day- and begin anew to lead as Christlike life that we can as we attempt to get thruogh each day.

Knowing that there will be an accounting should inspire us to admit our sins to the Father, and ask for cleansing through the blood of Jesus Christ. Every day should be lived as though it may be our last day, our last chance to "get right" with God.

Christians and non-Christians alike do many things with the rationale that "no one will ever know." I know - I've done it!

Often we think of "giving an account" as a bad thing, a punishment. And, depending on what we have to say, it may well be. But it also tells us something else: everything we do matters to God - nothing is insignificant. Knowing this will not only change our behavior, it will change our attitudes. Everything we do - even and especially those things that no one else knows about - everything is noticed by God. This is sobering but also encouraging.

Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions?

Non- Christians don't like giving account of their actions because many believe it is no one business what they do or they believe there is nothing wrong with their actions.

Also many just don't want to look truely at themselves for want they really are.

Why don't we Christians like to give account for our actions?

We don't like to give account for our actions because we don't like to admit we need help with our spiritual walk and we don't people know that there is something wrong in our lives. We want to put on a mask that everything is O.K. when it is not.

We don't like someone or even ourselves to look truely at our lives to see what is really

going on in our relationship with Christ.

Since we know that we must give account to God for our actions, we should be inspire to want to change our lives so we can be more like Jesus and that we are growing spiritual and wanting God and other Christians to hold us accountable for our actions or our inactions. The attitude we should live with is to be ready at all times to give an account of our actions and to live a life worthy of our calling of being a Christian.

B) MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL

No one likes to think about being judged wrongly for sins they commit. People only want to hear about a god who loves and forgives.

We should be inspired to repent daily for our misdeeds which, most likely, occur daily. We should be truly sorry to disappoint God out of love and respect for Him.

Our attitude should be mournful as it relates to mourning every time we sin. We should be truly repentent.

(4:5-7) Why don't non-Christians like the idea of giving an account of their actions? Why don't we Christians like it?

Because non-Christians think what they do is their business, and they don't have to answer to anyone. They don't pretend to believe in Christ, so their thinking is, "What right does he have to judge me?"

Christians don't like the idea of giving an account of their actions because they don't want others to know that they have done things that are not in a Christlike manner. They may think they can do things in secret and not be exposed; but sooner or later, they will have to face the judgment and give an account of everything they did, good or bad.

What should the realization that we must give an account of our actions inspire in us?

It should inspire us to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us in our daily walk, to strive to live in a way that would be pleasing to God, knowing that we alone are responsible for the choices we make.

With what attitude should we live as a result?

We should have an attitude of submission and obedience to God's will for our lives, and we should reach out in love and compassion to those around us who are in need, both spiritually and physically.

:rolleyes: In the present society 'accountablity' is one word nobody relishes. Eventhough we try to fix resposibility on politicians, company executives in a broader sense. Non-christians deceive themselves into the belief that they are not accountable for their actions to anybody let alone God in whom they do not believe and that nobody is going to question them, especially after they die.

Since we christians are fully aware of the judgement by Lord Jesus, we are simply ashamed of our shortcomings. If I sincerely repent and confess my sins to God and ask for his forgiveness and try to live a righteous life, setting an example both to believers and non-believers alike, I can face judgement seat with humility and assurance of God's grace.

People, Christian or non-Christian, don't like the idea of being criticised, or having their plans interfered with, or feeling guilty. All this can be neatly avoided if they are not answerable to anybody for their actions.

Having to give account of our actions should inspire complete integrity, both in financial matters (mammon), and in relationships (God affairs). We are to be sure that we enter into God's rest (Heb 4) which we cannot do if we are worried about disclosure of some secret sin.

We need complete integrity, honesty, love, self-sacrifice, wisdom, understanding, discipline, knowledge (of God and scripture), humility and all the other qualities that God approves, so that any criticism of us as Christians will come into the category of persecution, and many will be inspired by our lifestyle to check out Jesus for themselves.

BY GIVING AN ACCOUNT OF THEIR ACTIONS WOULD MEAN TO ADMIT THEIR MISTAKES. WE DON'T LIKE TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO OR THAT WE ARE NOT IN GOD'S WILL FOR OUR LIVES. IT WOULD MEAN LOSING CONTROL OF THEIR OWN WILL AND SUBMITTING TO A HIGHER ONE IN CONTROL.

OUR ACTIONS AS CHRISTIANS WILL RESULT IN WHERE WE SPEND ETERNITY.

TO LOVE EVERYONE FROM THE HEART.

I believe that Christians as well as non Christians don't like to give an account of our actions because we feel we should be able to do what we want. For a non Christian their attitude may be as long as what I do doesn't harm anyone I shouldn't be held accountable. A Christian may feel that if his actions are sinful he can always ask God for forgiveness or use the excuse of being a sinner saved by grace.

We should live with the attitude that Christ can come back at any time. <_<

People like thier independance. Nobody wants to listen and obey somebody else. Even kids don't like thier parents to tell them what to do. :rolleyes: In this scenario, people who are outside of Jesus, don't feel they are obligated to live under someone's dictat. They want to go on in life defying everything. There is no place for responsibility. Even Cain said am I my brother's keeper? :( We Christians live under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and so we feel that living irresponsible lives doesn't become us. We live in total surrender to the Holy Spirit. :D

That we are accountable in the day of Judgment should inspire us to be fruitful in our lives. Our lives are not complete unless we bear fruit for His Kingdom. That is the last commandment of our Lord and we have to be on our Lord's work till He comes back to claim us from this wicked world.