JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Happiness Because of Persecution

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As verse 14a says: "If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

When we are persecuted and do not sway from what we are suppose to do, He is glorified.

We must be viewed as one of them--worldly. That means Christ is not in us and we're fooling ourselves. Persecution is an opportunity to grow and be closer to Jesus. We also know we're on the right narrow road if we're persecuted for Christ's sake.

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

We must be viewed as fitting into the world view of "anything goes"! Christians are meant to be salt and light for the world, not just a "filler of space", or a person to make non-christians feel good about not being Christian! If we confirm them in their sinning, we don't make them "uncomfortable". So, they are happy to consider us "one of them!" :ph34r:

If we do, by our lives and our words confirm our belief in the Lord Jesus and His requirements for our lives, then they will turn against us--in many instances. Sometimes, we fear for our loss of "friendship" with the worldly persons that we like and want to know. What an indictment on our lack of boldness to stand up for Him! We should bow our heads in worship and thank Him--yes, give thanks!--when others are caught up short to think of their lives and whether they are living for Christ or for satan! :rolleyes:

When we face persecution--and we will--we grow closer to the Lord and grow in our faith and ability to know Him better, and serve Him better.

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

We must be viewed as fitting into the world view of "anything goes"! Christians are meant to be salt and light for the world, not just a "filler of space", or a person to make non-christians feel good about not being Christian! If we confirm them in their sinning, we don't make them "uncomfortable". So, they are happy to consider us "one of them!" :ph34r:

If we do, by our lives and our words confirm our belief in the Lord Jesus and His requirements for our lives, then they will turn against us--in many instances. Sometimes, we fear for our loss of "friendship" with the worldly persons that we like and want to know. What an indictment on our lack of boldness to stand up for Him! We should bow our heads in worship and thank Him--yes, give thanks!--when others are caught up short to think of their lives and whether they are living for Christ or for satan! :rolleyes:

When we face persecution--and we will--we grow closer to the Lord and grow in our faith and ability to know Him better, and serve Him better. Better yet, as one member stated, God is glorified!! :wub:

1. If we are never persecuted it would indicate that we are fitting in with the world around us. We must be walking in "..the counsel of the ungodly...". I would say that people view us a) as "one of the boys", a nice guy. B) as a religious person who is harmless, maybe somewhat of an oddity. Each to their own. c) a hypocrite. Some who know anything about the Bible would see the inconsistency between how we act and how we shoud act. The Bible says Matthew 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." I don't think that people in this case trod over the worthless salt because they have any particular dislike or contempt for it, but because they do not recognize it and there is no differentiation between it and its surrounding environment.

2.Persecution should make us happy because we are being identified with Christ. John 17:14 "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world." (also Jn 3:19-21) We have so much baggage that weighs us down, Mark 4:19 "And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful." I don't know but perhaps the amount of persecution we will see in this life has some ratio to the amount of victory we achieve over the world. Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." (Also Heb. 12:4) These ones such as Paul gave up everything " Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ" Phil 3:8. Hebrews 11:36-40 points out that the world was not worthy of these who gave up all to follow Christ. We wonder why we do not suffer persecutions? We should weep, and cry "woe is me!" We are consumed with this world and charmed by its sirens song.

Yes we should be happy and rejoice if we are "...counted worthy .. to suffer shame for his name." Acts 5:41

Even to the slightest degree we should give thanks and pray that we could continue to stand firm in the faith. Martyrdom? That is a very high calling, one which we here will likely never see.

I think if and when I am persectued by people then I must be saying or doing something right for Jesus. I don't spend a lot of time doing and being part of events that are not conected to learning more of Jesus. My husband and I limit how much we partake in things of this world. ( Weddings, anniversaries parties and other things along this line). We do come in contact with non-believers just in everyday life with out going looking for events that could cause some to doubt our dedication to following Jesus. We are not heads in the sand people, but spread the word of the Lord in many other ways. If we are persectued we count it all for good, knowing then we are pleasing to the Lord. Yes we are persecuted with words of being to sold out and being legal people, because we believe the scripture to be truth. I would count it pure joy knowing that through my being persecuted Jesus receives the Glory. Praise to our Lord Jesus through him all things are possible.

WE LIVE AN A ERA WHERE THERE IS NO PERSECUTION

BETTER YET THE AREA THAT I LIVE IN HAS NO PERSECUTION

WE ARE CHRISTIANS THAT ARE ACCEPTED AS SUCH

WHATEVER WE GO, WHATEVER WE SPEAK.

I AM JOYFUL TO KNOW AND PARTAKE OF JESUS SUFFERING

I AM GRATEFUL THAT I CAN SHARE MY VIEWS AND

EXPERIENCES WITH EVERYONE THAT I COME IN TOUCH WITH

I AM NOT SHIED ABOUT STAND AND SHARE MY FAITH WITH

ANY ONE

I HAVE NOT BEEN STOPPED BY ANY ONE OR I HAVE NOT BEEN

CALLED IN THE OFFICE TO BE TOLD TO STOP SHARING MY FAITH

AND I WORK ON A PUBLIC PLACE

I PRAY WITH OTHERS IN MY WORK PLACE AND NO ONE SEEM

TO BE OFFENDED, MUCH LESS TO WANT TO PERSECUTE ME

I BLESS PEOPLE WHEN I MEET THEM FACE TO FACE WHILE

WALKING "GOD BLESS YOU" INSTEAD OF "HAVE A NICE DAY"

DO I PERSONALLY GO THROUGH SUFFERING MOMENTS?

THE ANSWER IS YES AND I ALSO SHARE THESE MOMENTS

WITH OTHERS.

FOR ME PAIN IS NOT AN OPTION, PAIN IS THE SPIRITUAL

FUNDATION OF MY NEW STRUCTURE

I DO NOT ASK FOR PAIN TO COME MY WAY, BUT WHEN PAIN

COMES I OPEN MY HEART AND MY SOUL BECAUSE I AM AWARE

THAT FROM THERE GOD WILL HELP ME TO GROW

IT REALLY DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO ME WHAT PEOPLE

SAYS ABOUT ME OR WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT ME OR HOW THEY

VIEW ME.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS HOW I VIEW MYSELF IN FRONT OF GOD

"BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE PERSECUTED BECAUSE OF

RIGHTEOUSNESS,......."

THIS IS TO PREPARE ME WHEN THE TIME COMES FOR ME

GOD GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO PICK UP MY CROSS AND

FOLLOW YOU.

WHAT A JOY TO BE COUNTED IN THE SAME BREATH

AS THE PROPHETS.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

persecute: to harass in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief

I'm not sure we really know what persecution is. In the United States, it is very possible to live a faithful life and share Jesus without really being persecuted. And there are times when we bring the hassles on ourselves. Many employers have a very legitimate reason for wanting their employees to do their jobs and not preach (anything). Sometimes, Christians can be very obnoxious. I have a student who practices the Native American religion. Some of the Christian students have made her miserable with the way they attack her.

My point is simply this: be careful how you use the word "persecute" - take the term seriously.

Can I truly say that if we have never been persecuted that people don't see Christ is us. We have to think what we believe persecution to be. Some may see it as being great and severe. Then again some see it as being insulted, reproached, reviled or maybe even shunned because of Christ. I believe persecution comes in all these forms. So yes maybe at one time or another and in some way we all have been.

We can rejoice knowing that all this is temporary, taht one day we will be rewarded and live eternally.

:angry:

3a.) (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us?

3a.) If the people viewing us are fellow believers - then there should be none. I am lucky to be living in a country built on the Judeo-Christian principles. I know that this is changing as the secular viewpoint is slowly eroding our morals, our values, and seeping into the very congregations that are suppose to be proclaiming the Good News. I watch as my own denomination (UCC) continues to turn away from Scripture to embrace those sins that are clearly taught as sin for the sake of diversity. Jesus tells us, "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three." Luke 12:51-52 The very nature of the Gospel will bring conflict because its message is contrary to that of the world. If my views are lining up with the world, then I know I have a problem.

3b.) (4:14) In what way should persecution make us happy?

3b.) Jesus assures us, when he teaches: "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kind of evil against you because of me." Matthew 5:11 I pray that I will be worthy. :rolleyes:

As " members of the gang" "regular Joes" or "normal people" there is no reason to try to shame us. Why would the Deciever work on us? We are his already. It is by professing and practicing our Christianity that we come up on the radar as targets. We advance in our faith by overcoming our temptations, and passing our trials-being refined in the fire. As the level of spiritual warfare ramps upwe are beginning to eat the meat of our faith, leaving the milk behind. As we give our testimony to the world, we begin to give God the glory that is His due.

If we are not persecuted, then there are two reasons. The people must be Christians around, or that the people see no difference between them and us. If there is no difference between non christians and us in the kind of lives we lead, then there is something really wrong with us. Its not that every Christian has to be persecuted, but like in India, where Hindu militants target Christians, without provocation, persecution offers chance for dynamic witnessing in the form of practical Christianity. What a great privilege for us to bear scorn and shame for our Master who bore the brunt of wicked persecuction. Our lives should make people see that we are a different generation, loving and living for Christ. Persecution should make us happy that we will surely be compensated for the loss we suffer here on earth. And the reward will be much more in percentage than we suffer here. This is a great consolation for us that if we suffer, we suffer not in vain.

If unbelievers don't see any reason to persecute us, it must be because they don't perceive us as believing anything contrary to what they believe.

It should make us happy if we are persecuted for Christ's sake because it means we are "blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on (us)." Great will be our reward in heaven.

(4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

It has been quite a while since I have suffered any persecution for the cause of Christ and I consider myself fortunate to be around people who are like-minded Christians. Since I have retired from the workforce, I am not around a very large number of people except at church. However, the people I am around from time to time (outside the church) seem to understand my stand on Christianity and can recognize the love I have for my Lord and Savior. I am in no way ashamed of Christ;and if someone wants to persecute me for loving Him and serving Him, then so be it, because I know in my heart that Christ will be with me all the way.

Persecution should make us happy because we can experience just a little of what Christ went through when He was on the earth, and He will be with us through the rough times. We should look at these times of suffering as opportunities to grow closer to the Lord, and "It will be worth it all when we see Christ."

If there is a reason, why we aren't persecuted. There must be some things going on. One we work in a totally christian setting and there are no non-christians around. Two, we work with non-christians and there is no need for the persecution on the christians. Which means there is some sin with the christian.

Persecution should make us happy, when we give God the glory. When we know that Jesus is right beside us while we are going thru persecution. We should have joy inside us.

We are persecuted because of Jesus.We have changed and the people we know can see that.Some of the people we know, even ones we dont know want to shame us, or insult us for our faith.We as Christians have found a happiness in Christ Jesus.A happiness that is not found in worldly things we have let go of.Our life is changed.God has better things for us.Does it not make us happy to please God?You feel good inside.Thats the Holy Spirit that lives in you.God will give you the Holy Spirit to give you strength to be an overcomer.Happiness is with Jesus.Joy!peace!

Sometimes another person will grumble against us because they really want what we got"Jesus".So it is up to us to see and understand the person and how they feel.His or her unpleasant behavior,could be they have a problem that they are dealing with.Could be God put them in your pathway to help them.So be very careful in how you treat a person when they are grumbling about how you are living and how you have changed.

~~Now if we are never persecuted I believe I need to examine my life.They are not seeing a change in me.I must still be hanging on to some of the worldy things like a small drink here and there,or even gossip with a person who I enjoy gossiping with.Those things I need to change.I have to be more faithful to God than that.We have to pray to Jesus for help to change us ,to put our oldself out of the way.Amen.

In my opinion, suffering draws us closer to Jesus and makes us more empathetic toward others. Throughout His 3-year ministry on earth, the Savior showed his disciples how to love and have compassion on those who are going through humanly insurmountable trials in their lives by example.

For a world that desperately needs this kind of love, we as Christians it seems to me would be remiss if we failed to submit ourselves fully to obey God's will in this regard.

:rolleyes: When the world does'nt consider us worthy of persecution, means tha theyt do not see Christ in our actions and life style. The viceversa should make us happy, because they see that we are striving to standup for Jesus in this world and make a difference for good. Sometimes persecution comes in the form of discremination in small things and not necessasarily in bodily harm and incarcination. :angry:

I DON'T KNOW OF ANYONE THAT HASN'T HAD CERTAIN TRIALS TO OVERCOME. IF YOU ARE LOYAL TO CHRIST, YOU WILL BE STRENGHTENED THROUGH THEM. THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL BE PRESENT AND WORK THROUGH YOU,BLESS YOU, AND HELP YOU TO LOOK FORWARD TO HEAVEN'S GLORY. WITHOUT A TEST--- WE HAVE NO TESTIMONY!!

If someone is never persecuted for their faith, then I would say either they haven't really committed themselves to taking up their cross and following Jesus or else they are what I call closet Christians. In other words they keep their faith in Christ a secret.

We should rejoice in suffering because being persecuted is a sign that others have seen Jesus in us. The fact that we are being persecuted because our persecuters can see Jesus shining forth in us should bring us great joy. :rolleyes:

People would view us as being uncaring, self righteous, or looking out only for ourselves. If people persecute me for believing in Christ and working for a better kigdom on earth, then I have to be happy that because of my belief/work, I am causing people to look more closely at heir own lives. Persecution by others can also be a form of jealousy of my happiness and knowing that I am Loved by God.