JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Scripture is God-Breathed

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:16) If Scripture is "breathed" by God, how can it help us draw close to God? Why do you think God's Spirit (pneuma, "breath, wind") so important in helping us understand Scripture?

A breath indicates life. The Word of God is not only FULL of life but brings life to those who read and understand it. The Spirit is God's tool/gift for us to interpret the scripture and help us to understand what God ia trying to speak to us through his word.

Christina Ingraham

We draw close to God because we are moved by the Holdy Spirit and we know that the words of the Bible are inspired by God and he does not lie. The Bible is a book a nothing but the truth.

Profitable (benefical) for doctrine (teaching), for reproof (reproving), for correction ( setting things straight), for instruction (disciplining) in righteousness.

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:16) If Scripture is "breathed" by God, how can it help us draw close to God? Why do you think God's Spirit (pneuma, "breath, wind") so important in helping us understand Scripture?

May we become willing to 'listen' to The Holy Spirit reveal God's Word to us. Both Prayer and Meditation are avenues that God uses to reach us. If we avail ourselves of this opportunity daily we will be indeed 'Practising HIS Presence', and HE will help us understand all things.

To become a Christian we ask God to come into our lives. He then comes and lives in us.

It's like we begin again where God breathed Life into Adam (as in - something the animals did not have!) He put eternity into our minds! Being born again gives us a whole new dimension we can experience no other way. We have LIFE We are able to concieve of God, and relate to Him intimately! It is the gift of God and cannot be earned or achieved! His Spirit can now drive us, rather than our own carnal nature, our minds can become like the mind of Christ. Everything that God "breathes on" (namely scripture) is united with the Spirit we have in us! We have the capacity to become sons of God, born of the Spirit and therefore one with God, His Spirit dwelling in us.

The scripture is written by the Spirit of God, through various people such as Moses, Paul etc. who love God and allow this to happen. Without the Spirit we can never understand scripture because the unity is missing!

If Scripture is "breathed" by God, it can help us draw close to God by making it come to life for us. I think God's Spirit (pneuma, "breath, wind") is so important in helping us understand Scripture because He reveals His truth to us when we need it and helps us to apply it to our lives.

God breathed into man's nostrils and he became a living being. God's breath made us living. The 'Scriptures' were breathed by God. They were breathed into living. That's why through centuries, His Word has remained true to its promises. Since we have the same spirit of God in us, we are in close bondage with Him. When we realise this fact, we automatically draw closer unto Him as if we are blood relations. It adds a semblance of relationship with God the Father.

Because the Spirit of God (pnuema) was in the given Word, that same spirit guides us to understand it better if we allow the Holy Spirit of God to open our spiritual mind to understand His word. It is very essential that we open up our minds to the Spirit of God to reveal His secrets embedded in the Scriptures. Otherwise it will be futile attempt on our part to read and go on without adding anything to our spirituality.

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:16) If Scripture is "breathed" by God, how can it help us draw close to God?

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness with this being said, then we draw closer to God because we have His Spirit. He lives directly in us; He is our breath of life. Because we have His Spirit we desire to grow and be connected to Him by reading His Word; and by its teaching, correcting, rebuking and training.

Why do you think God's Spirit (pneuma, "breath, wind") is so important in helping us understand Scripture?

John 16:5-15 in this verses Jesus tells us He must go but He will send the Helper (the Holy Spirit) and when He the Spirit of truth has come He will guide you into all truth for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever he hears He will speak and He will tell you things to come.

Looking for inspiration for this answer and for my day. C U L8R

O. K. I am back

I went to a site that I go through to pull up an Oswald Chambers daily devotional and all of the page was there except for today's devotional. In it's place it said "error ()." So I clicked on a link that was to get to devotionals not ordered by date then maybe another link and then a link that said success which brought up a varity of devotionals on success and I clicked on one. I read it and extremely enjoyed it. I wish I had been there to see Peter walking on the water or that it was even as real to me as the idea of Harry Potter catching a train by running into a wall at platform eight and a half. When we fail to minister God uses rocks. So any way I finished reading it and thought how much more approprite the scene of Peter walking on the water was to my daily life in opposition to drawing strength from a movie of unknown origin and over on the left was a link to go to todays devotional and I thought I would read it too so I clicked on it and up popped the devotional I had just read. God is so good to give us what we need and to create ministers in so many places who breath in and breath out.

Randy

The Bible is not a story book or a collection of ideas for us to read and to digest. It is the inspired Word of God written by men through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Because the whole Bible is inspired it becomes the first text book to seek the divine will of God for our lives.

Through the Holy Spirit God revealed to certain belivers who wrote down his message for his people (2 Peter 1:20,21) and to us today.

Thus, the Scriptures are totally trustworthy because God was in control of the writings. So when we read and obey the Scriptures we become partakers of His divine nature 2 Peter 1:4 and thus, escape the corruption of this world.

Holiness 1 Peter 1: 15 becomes a way of life and we live according to God's will and not our will. Obedience to God and His word is better than any sacrifice. As we understand the trustworthyness of God's Word we will be more open to reading it and appropriating it in our lives.

In order for anyone to understand the Bible and understand what God is saying, the Spirit of God has to be there. We must be filled with the Holy Spirit. Jesus told Nicodemus when He was speaking about being reborned; That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6).

It is very important to pray before we read the Bible or study the Bible or teach the Bible and ask God for His Holy Spirit to guide us and give us understanding.

Pray for me as I strive to do the will of God in my life

(servant4life)

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

Scripture is inspired of God. This implies men wrote the Word under power granted by God. Just as the Spirit granted those who designed the tabernacle, etc, in similar way, the Spirit enabled humans to put the mind of God on written bible. The Word is therefore perfect and has tremendous power.

When God 'breathes' on us, we get alive, remember Genesis and creation, this helps us to recognize the truth and turn back to God. The Spirit imparts the truth in us. We become alive. Our spirits which were dead, comes back to life. We get convicted and repent, turning away from iniquity and become alive to God.

Cleophas

Because the Scriptures are produced by the very breath of God, the Spirit of God, they are useful to us. They can teach us what the problems are as well as the divine solution. They teach us how to live a life pleasing to God and what we are to believe. When we get off track, the Scriptures rebuke us and correct us and show us the way to repentance. God is training us in His Word so we will be suitable vessels for His work. The Word of God gives us strength to minister and live for the Lord. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8 Our Father has left to us this wealth of divine knowledge specifically to draw us near to Him, so He can be near to us. I have never felt closer to God, than when I began to read Scripture and to apply it to my daily life. I think in terms of what Scripture says. In this way I am thinking, what would the Lord have me to do.

I know that the Spirit of God uses the Word to strengthen and encourage us. The Spirit of God directs us. It seems so hard to explain something so ethereal. I know that I have prayed for God to create in me a clean heart and for a hunger for the Word of God. God has answered my prayer and the Holy Spirit is guiding me in realizing what I

The scriptures refers to God, The scritures is the word of God by studing the word we begin to know God and become closer to Him.

For the Holy Spirit is God and without the Holy Spirit we would know no Truth for God is Truth, the Holy Spirit is who lives in us and teaches us.

4a.) (2 Timothy 3:16) If Scripture is "breathed" by God, how can it help us draw close to God?

4a.) THrough our reading and study of Scripture, we can know God and have trust that all Scripture is trustworthy.

4b.) (2 Timothy 3:16) Why do you think God's Spirit (pneuma, "breath, wind") so important in helping us understand Scripture?

4b.) Paul tells us: "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1 Corinthians 1:18. ;)

Q4. (2 Timothy 3:16) If Scripture is "breathed" by God, how can it help us draw close to God?

I believe that scripture is the breath of God. It is God revealed to mankind. What God wants us to know of Him, He has breathed into the Holy Scriptures. When I read the word, I ask God to open up the eyes of my understanding to know Him more. The more I know Him the more I desire to please Him and be what He desires me to be.

Why do you think God's Spirit (pneuma, "breath, wind") so important in helping us understand Scripture?

Without God's Spirit living in us the awesomeness of His word would be beyond our comprehension. Remember it is by God's design that He filled us with His Holy Spirit. God knew and knows exactly what we need to bring glory and honor unto His name. Nations will rise up and call you Holy. That only happens when God is in control

IF WE HIDE IT IN OUR HEARTS WE WILL BE BREATHING THE VERY WORDS OF GOD. WHEN WE STUDY SCRIPTURE, IF WE ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT TO GIVE US THE UNDERSTANDING OF THEM, HE HELPS US TO UNDERSTAND. HE WILL DIRECT US TO USE IT TO TEACH, REBUKE, CORRECT, AND TRAIN US IN RIGHTEOUSNESS.

SCRIPTURE IS THE LIFE THAT CHRIST LIVED AND WE SHOULD PATTERN OUR LIVES AFTER IT.

GOD BREATHED INTO US AND GAVE US LIFE!!

God's Spirit put the messages of God into His human "transcribers", who in some instances admitted they did not understand what they had written--because the Holy Spirit was not yet given to be within mankind. :unsure:

But God knows what He has said, so since Christ died for us, He has given His Spirit to indwell us. the Holy Spirit opens the Scripture to us, enabling us to understand God's meaning--if we are living in Him and have accepted Him as our Savior and Lord! :)

Since the holy Scriptures are "breathed" by GOD they are the very words that He has spoken. They will draw us closer to Him if we read and obey them. The Scriptures set us on the right track in our walk with the LORD.

Without the presence of GOD's Holy Spirit we cannot understand what we are reading. GOD's Holy Spirit opens our spiritual eyes of understanding.

When we can break free from the debate about just who authored th books of the bible, and begin to understand that the Word is the breath of the most high God himself, we see that the Word is all about Him!Daniel is not about Daniel, nor Matthew about Matthew-they are about the God that called these people to His service. We should, then, take His Word very seriously.

When God breathed scripture, He breathed or gave life to His Word causing it

to be active to the believer to equip us for the ministry God has called us too.

Through His Word we are able to hear His voice and follow His plan for our

lives.

God's Spirit is important for us to understand scripture because Jesus said

"Without Me , ye can do NOTHING'". We are TOTALLY dependant upon the

Holy Spirit to know God's will, to help us pray and to give us strenght in our

daily walk with the Lord.

HOW DOES A "BREATH" AFFECT YOU?

I come close enough to my husband to feel His breath...I LOVE HIM INTIMATELY.

I was near my Grandmother and "shared" in her dying breath...I WILL NEVER FORGET.

If someday I am attacked by someone and feel his breath of my face as he threatens me...I WILL BE DEEPLY AFFECTED.

**If I absorb myself in the very BREATH of God, I will LOVE HIM INTIMATELY...

If I live and die by the very BREATH of God, I will NEVER FORGET...

If I take the very "BREATH of God seriously, I will BE DEEPLY AFFECTED!

What better way could God employ to bring His desired response of LOVE, REMEMBERANCE and AFFECT?

Christina A. Ingraham

If Scripture is God-breathed and we have the breath of God in use by being born again then we have the Holy Spirit illuminating God's word to us because He is The Pneuma.

Without the Spirit of God within we cannot understand the Scriptures because they are spiritually discerned. :( Without the Spirit we are dead in our trespasses and sins and literally we are in spiritual darkness and cannot understand Scripture. :(

I once heard a minister equate the Scripture as God's love letter to His children.

So if we are His children and have been born from above we have the Holy Spirit within us to guide and teach us God's love letter. We get to know our Father and His Son by studying His Word. When we get to know someone, then we become closer to them. :)

Just my thought!

Sassyblue8

God's word is living and active and will not return to Him empty. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. His words do a work in us that nothing else can do. His Holy Spirit will remind us of the truth, if we don't read we have nothing to bring to remembrance. If we read, the Holy Spirit will teach us, guide us and convict us. To read His word is to come to know Him who inspired it. To know Him is to love Him. The Holy Spirit takes you through the process of transformation that the word brings. It is necessary that the Spirit reveal God's truth in His words because our fleshly minds cannot comprehend Spiritual truths.