JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hagar's Pride, Sarah's Jealousy

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham? Why does she take her anger out on Hagar? Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault? In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault? What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham? Why does she take her anger out on Hagar? Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault? In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault? What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham?

Sarah was now feeling like she had failed Abraham which led to insecurity, jealousy and probably hurt . . . and hurt turns into anger when we do not know how to deal with it

Why does she take her anger out on Hagar?

Hagar got puffed up and prideful because she could conceive and Sarah couldn

Sarah took her anger out on Abraham because I believe you knew she had

taken steps in the flesh in going ahead of God, when they both were told

that Sarah would have a child.Fleshly wisdom puts us out of God's way. She

knew that they did not seek the Lord in this decision.

Sarah took her anger out on Hagar, because Hagar was now fullfilling the role that she knew was promised to her. It was also a type of curse for a

woman to be barren and unfruitful in those days, and she may have felt

ostrasized in the community to which she belonged.

Sarah is trying to cover up her sin, and would have it be that both Hagar and

the baby be cast out of her sight, both of which are a witness against her

for her indescrition.

Hagar's pride is Abraham's fault in the sense that , firstly, he knew the solemn promise of God that he and Sarah would have a child. He failed his

wife in not taking the spiritual leadership in the home in thus correcting his wife's wrong pattern of thinking. No doubt, Abraham was probably held in high esteem in the community, and this made Hagar proud that she was now

more than a servant in the household of Abraham.

Why does Sarai take her anger out on Abram?

I think Abram was convenient. She was angry that things weren't working out the way she planned and Abram was there. She knew she had done wrong (My wrong be upon thee) but Abram was wrong in going to Egypt in the first place where he got Hagar.

This was the common custom of the day but Sarah was probably not aware of the intensity of the emotions she was feeling about being barren and maybe the disappointment of having to wait. Sometimes when God promises we think its going to happen right away and that everything is going to be rosy and waiting produces some pent up emotions that we are not always aware of. Hagar was probably puffed up with pride and Sarai had to endure this on top of waiting and then realizing she had done wrong. Plus maybe Hagar finally thought things were going her way because she was bearing a child by Abraham and was just plain obnoxious instead of respectful. After all she was taken out of her home land as a maid. I don't know what status was given maids then. Plus I wonder how much Hagar knew of the promise God gave Abram and maybe she thought she was carrying the child of promise and not the child of the flesh and so very prideful. (Just a thought).

Is she trying to get rid of the Hagar or the baby?

Maybe she's trying to undo a situation that isn't working out her way and this is her way of doing it. It seems she understood it was a mistake ( My wrong be upon thee). Too bad we don't think before we act.

In what sense is Hagar's pride Abram's fault?

I think in the sense that Abram listened to Sarai he is responsible to that extent.

In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abrams fault?

Again he listened to bad counsel and I don't think he was behaving like the head of the household but just telling Sarai to do what she wants to Hagar.

Matthew Henry says "when passion is on the throne, reason is out of doors, and is neither heard or spoken."

What situation in your family does this remind you of?

It seems to me that this situation is pretty unique so there is nothing that I would directly equate to it but that we are all sinners and that what we do in private does matter no matter who you are.

God Bless!

Jen

1a.) (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham?

1a.) Sarai probably realized that Abram was not the fertility problem in their relationship. She was. Regardless of tradition, there had to be alot of hurt in Sarai because of Abrams impregnating of Hagar. Sarai's insecurity, maybe the concern that she maybe deserted by Abram because of her infertiity. Social ostracism that barreness implicated.

1b.) (16:1-6) Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby?

1b.) Both. Each are a reminder of her curse (in her eyes) of barreness.

1c.) (16:1-6) In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault?

1c.) Thinking that Sarai's plan to build the family through Hagar was God's plan.

1d.) (16:1-6) In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault?

1d.) His failure to exercise his leadership role in the famiy unit.

1e.) (16:1-6) What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

1e.) Really don't have one and if I did...it would be none of your business. :lol:

On Abraham due to misconception that he is the cause of her unhappiness and frustration.

On Hagar out of frustration due to Hagar's proud strutting around displaying her growing belly.

She doesn't want anyone reminding of her barrenness and infertility.

Abraham probably was too happy with Hagar's conception and might have given too much importance to her and ignored Sarah completely.

Abraham did not support Hagar when Sarah started mistreating her and left the choice with Sarah to deal with her as she pleases.

Situations like this are not common in our homes as we do not have two wives or concubines now. But comparatively our priorities change sometimes towards sports, TV, or even ministry of God. In the process we neglect our spouses creating a rift in the family atmosphere. We should take care to do the will of God together with the family. Then there will not be any friction in the family atmosphere.

To be simple and to the point we often take our frustration and anger out on those closest to us and the ones we love.

We never like to take the blame, we point the finger at others. When we accept the blame then we have to also accept the responsibility.

Hagar was in a position that Sarah so much wanted to be in. I can see Sarah thinking her time is running out or has already run out. Look where we find ourself when we don't wait on God and trust him.

It seem like she might be trying to get rid of both becasue at this time the mother is still carrring the child.

Seeing Hagar pregnant was a reminder of what she thought could not do and what she thought she could not have. How wrong can we be when God is in control.

Abraham seem to be between a rock and a hardside. With him being the head, he should have taken control of the situation from the start. Both of them should have trusted God from the beginning.

When we obey, it is better than a sacrifice.This is a good lesson for us not to take matters in our own hand.

Too often we refuse to accept the blame for our actions! If there is some possible way to push that off onto someone else, we do--so that we don't have to feel anger at our own stupidity.

Sarah would love to get rid of Hagar and her baby so there would be no conflict with the child the Lord told them she would have for Abraham. Also, she probably hates to see the evidence that Hagar has achieved what she has not been able to do. :(

Hagar is proud of being the mother of the coming heir to her mistress' husband. Abraham should have admonished her, reminding her that she is a servant, not his true wife. But Abraham backs off and does nothing to make Hagar realize that this does not change her position as a servant of Sarah. According to the tradition of that time, the child would be considered Sarah's child, and would be taken away from Hagar as soon as he could be weaned. And, if Sarah did finally conceive, Hagar's son would not be the son of promise, even though he would be the eldest son.

Hagar's affliction is due to Abraham refusing to settle the problem rather than telling Sarah that whatever she wanted to do to Hagar was ok with him! :huh:

There is no sense in striking out to publicly shame another, which discussing personal matters of this type would do. No matter what happens, we are to forgive AND forget. <_<

Ditto on what Helen Spaulding said. :D I couldn't say it any better or different. Thanks Helen :D.

God Bless You All!!! Lisa

Sarah takes her anger out on Abraham because she regrets that her idea worked, but not the way she wanted it to. She takes her anger out on Hagar because she is jealous and feels like her place in her house has been jeopardized She is trying to get rid of both. Hagar's pride is Abraham's fault in that he was so overjoyed to have a son, that he did not keep wife, servant-wife separated. Hagar's affliction is Abraham's fault because he did not force the two women to work out their issues and did not establish order in the house. A situation in my family this reminds me of is the animosity between my Mom and my Aunt.

Probably because Abraham may have been paying more attention to Hagar than Sarah at the time. I doubt that Sarah fully realized what this situation would be like once it came to be.

Probably because of jealousy.

Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby?

Hagar

In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault?

As I stated above, Abraham was probably paying a good deal of attention to Hagar, thus boosting her ego quite a bit.

In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault?

Abraham was probably not paying much attention to Sarah since Hagar was pregnant with his child. With this being Sarah's idea to start with, Abraham probably never gave it a second thought that this would cause bad feelings in Sarah toward Hagar.

Also, Abraham should have taken a stand instead of leaving it in Sarah's hands.

What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

As is true with anyone, we should be careful what we ask for....we might get it. I know I've said to my own grown children before, "Remember, this is what you wanted!"

Sarah became angry with Abraham because he had relations with Hagar and she became pregnant as a result but the anger was misplaced because Sarah is the one who put Abraham and Hagar together. It was also out of jealousy and embarrassment on Sarah's part because she could not give Abraham a child.

Abraham told Sarah that Hagar was at her disposal and to do what was good in her eyes and from there Sarah humilated Hagar.

Sarah is trying to get rid of Hagar.

In my opinion Abraham should have not taken up with Hagar regardless what his wife suggested. Knowing how his wife felt when Hagar became with child he did not take a stand on Hagar's behalf.

Because Abraham laid down with Hagar and she had feelings for Abraham and a baby was created through this action. He did not explain to her why he as with her.

Similar situation but there was not a child involved but the affections from the other woman was known but nothing was done about it from the mate's side and the actions from the other woman esccalated.

BECAUSE HAGAR GOT PREGNANT RIGHT AWAY, WHEREAS SARAH HAD NOT CONCEIVED IN ALL HER YEARS OF TRYING TO GIVE ABRAHAM AN HEIR. HAGAR FELT CONTEMPT WITH SARAH BECAUSE SARAH WAS STILL THE PRIMARY WIFE IN THIS SITUATION. SARAH WAS JEALOUS AND MISTREATED HAGAR AFTER SHE HAD CONCEIVED THROUGH ABRAHAM.

BECAUSE HE TOLD SARAH TO DO WITH HAGAR AS SHE SAW BEST. HAGAR WAS ONLY HER MAIDSERVANT.

I think she blames Abraham for accepting her suggestion of going in to Hagar. "He should have known better!"? cf Eve offering the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil to Adam, and, oddly enough, God held Adam responsible (God put Adam in dominion over the earth).

Hagar began to make fun of her mistress Sarah, a thing that made Sarah vey angry with her. So she began to 'punish" her.

I don't think she has necessarily thought of getting rid of Hagar at this stage, though maybe it was something beginning to happen under the surface (pre-conscious). She certainly was not content with this situation, even though she had set it up in order to produce the child that Hagar was now carrying. Prabably she had no idea of the power of the feelings that would surface, and need expression or acknowledgement, in both women in this situation.

Wisely or unwisely Abraham had agreed to go in to Sarah's maid Hagar. This was something she had not anticipated - having Abraham's baby, who might then reasonably expect to inherit his great wealth, putting her in a strong position within the family, and potentially giving her status even above Sarah. Abraham had not taken all this into consideration.

Abraham is responsible for the welfare (peace) of the whole household, (even if only for his own benefit) and it seemed he had failed this time, with very long-lasting consequences. This was not a fight that was going to go away with time. More likely it would be exacerbated with time. He was going to have to live with these fighting women.

My mother "adopted" my cousin's ex-wife and children as closer family to her than me and my children. I could never close the gap, no matter what I did. But I had done something pretty unwise, which made her mad at me, and which I could not undo. We had never been close, and she could not deal with it. I believe I have forgiven her.

Sarai presumed to know what was best for her family but Sarai found that her scheme had backfired. A child was born, but while loved by Abram, Sarai despised him. Ishmael had driven a wedge between Abram and Sarai, rather than drawing them together. Even the once loyal Hagar now despised her mistress. Abram had given Sarai what she had wanted, but now she insisted that he had failed her in doing so. In spite of all the pious words Sarai spouted, they did not cover her blame for what had happened. While Sarai was angry with Abram, she must have known that it was she who had made Hagar

• 2 weeks later...

Sarai feels like Abram is responsible for all the wrongs that she is suffering, that he is responsible for Hagar hating her.

Because she is jealous, and she feels that somehow Hagar has betrayed her.

Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby?

I think both of them. Getting rid of the baby would be getting rid of the mistake that she feels she made by giving Hagar to Abram, and getting rid of Hagar would possibly, in her mind, get rid of the jealousy she feels.

In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault?

Because Abram laid with her, and probably he was paying more attention to her than he was to Sarai.

What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

Jealousy. Both my wife and I show jealousy at times, and, at least in my case, I know I have no foundation whatsoever to have this feeling.

The possibility of a family was planted in her mind by Abraham. Even though it initially started with God she may have been too afraid to direct her anger at God. Her anger toward Hagar was initiated by Hagar's pride. Here Sarah couldv'e chosen to be angry with God because God allowed Hagar to become pregnant. She also must be angry with herself for being impatient and not waiting or listening to God that SHE would bear the child. She almost sounds like she's an impatient spoiled old brat. Abraham should've listened to God and not Sarah. (Like Adam listened to Eve).

We all grow impatient and want something now. We get in trouble when we don't wait for God's time as He works everything for good to those who love Him. When we put our will in front of His will we are being disobedient and must suffer the consequences.

Everyone in my family, including myself, are guilty of doing things our own way, not waiting for God and then suffering the consequences.

Abraham had told Sarah of the promise of God for his seed. She knew in her heart not trusting in God that she would not bare a child. She sent Abraham into Hargar and then it was confirmed that it was Sarah not Abraham that had a problem. She was angry with Abraham because he had done what she said yes and in a way that was her anger toward herself also. She got angry with Hargar because of the time that Abraham was spending with her and his son. Yes she did want to get rid of both of them I think.Hagar became prideful and boastful around Sarah. Abraham should have never agreed to Sarah

I think Sarah takes her anger out on Abraham because in a way she blames him for her inability to conceive. She probably figured if he could get Hagar with child,way can't he do the same for her.

Sarah takes her anger out on Hagar because Hagar was able to do what she couldn't, produce a male heir for Abraham.

Is Sarah trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? Tough question. I know she definitely wants to get rid of Hagar.

In a way Hagar's pride is Abraham's fault because he could of told her not to gloat over her mistress. He could of reminded her that by law she would be forfeiting her child over to Sarah to raise.

In a sense Hagar's affliction is Abraham's fault because he refused to get involved between the two women. He takes the easy way out by telling Sarah to do what she thinks best.

• 1 month later...

We need to remember that God puts more respnsiblity on men as heads of their house to make final decisions in families. (Feminist don't accept this.) As christian women we can accept this because we know God is just and in control of all things. Abram should have reminded Sarai of God's control and promise. All too often men and women have taken easy out.Woman-" I want it now!"Man- "Yes, Dear." Our culture is alot like theirs in acting on pure emotion instead of God's Word. Think of the possiblities if we just wait on the Lord! We would have alot more joy in the end without guilt and sorrow. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Its perfectly normal for Sarah to vent out such personal frustrations to the person closest to her, her hubby. She blamed Hagar because in her eyes, she's the source of the problem.

Not sure if she wants to get rid or her or the baby, because it was all her own (Sarah's) idea in the 1st place. Maybe at this point, she was not sure of what she wants, and was overcome by the consequences of her rash faithless decision.

Abraham shouldn't have complied with Sarah's suggestion but gently remind her to be faithful, though that's humanly difficult. His inaction put Hagar in her afflictions..but we know that's God's will.

In my fam, my mother vents her frustrations and worries to my dad...regardless of how he might interpret them. Sometimes he didn't take them the way she expected him to..but this is part of the intricate beauty of married life...2 diffrent ppl sharing their lives

I think that Sarai takes her anger out on Abram because she knows that she is the one not capable of bearing children. She also feels resentment against Hagar because of her own infertility. I do not believe that Sarai was capable of killing Hagar nor the baby. She just hated being considered useless. No doubt, Abram was happy that Hagar was pregnant and maybe made Hagar feel special. Sarai's position as the wife and mistress was questionable. At least in her eyes.