JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disciple Lessons from Hagar

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience?

That God is just and fair loving even those who seem to be the underdogs. And that people are human with shortcomings and that we are in the process of perfection with the help of God.

Even though there is impatience and a tendency to take matters into our own hands concerning the direction of our lives God does work matters out for the good of those who love Him, those who repent and are obedient to His commands.

Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

I think waiting on the call of the vision I have seen. I want it to take place now and it is hard for me to accept the place He still has me in. I want to run ahead of Him becoming anxious in which I have to repent. He in turn is developing patience with in me and that is difficult for a visionary to comprehend.

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

Hagar's tribulations are an eye-opener for every Christian.

Firstly, don't take God's promises lightly and go ahead with your own plans.

Second, don't ill-treat the working staff in your home.

Third, remember that God cares for you no matter what you do. Either good or bad, He still cares for you and is looking down on His children. 2 Chron 7:14

Fourth, don't get discouraged by trying circumstances. Go ahead and depend on God.

Fifth, strain your ears to listen to the voice of the Lord. God is always speaking in so many different ways. We have to tune our ears to received His word and obey it.

So far whatever God gave me to do, I have been able to do without much trouble. In future, I have to keep on the tracks as times are changing and my talents are also changing, taking different tasks. By the grace of God, so far I have not faced any difficult situations. But if the need arises, I am sure God will take care of the situation and make me victorious over the circumstances.

The lesson I am being taught out of Hagar's experience is maybe to be in

submission to those who have been placed in authority over me; to understand when desert times come into my life, that God has not forgotten me; to accept where God has placed me in the body of Christ.

A situation that God is calling me too is uncertain, but maybe it is waiting

on the Holy Spirit to receive from Him '"the power from on high" to do His

will, not knowing what is in my path to bring this about.

To submit fully to His will and to stay out of His way while He directs my life.

Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

A particular family situation that is taking place right now....too lengthy to go into. There is much pain over it and it's hard to be Christ minded through it.

Regardless of your feelings and affections about someone, you do not take up with someone else's mate but if it does happen you are to go and humble yourself to God and to the afflicted one.

To become more active in going to worship but working hard at it and praying for guidance and strength.

THAT IF WE OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS HE WILL BE FAITHFUL AND KEEP HIS PROMISES. WE HAVE THE SAME PROMISES THAT ABRAHAM HAD AND NO MATTER WHERE WE ARE IN LIFE GOD WILL KEEP THOSE PROMISES. GOD KNOWS US AND KNOWS WHAT WE NEED. WE DO NOT NEED TO RELY ON OUR OWN WILL.

MOST DIFFICULT TO TOTALLY SUBMIT TO GOD'S WILL FOR MY LIFE, BECAUSE NOT KNOWING IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND , THOUGH I KNOW THAT GOD KNOWS WHAT IS BEST. I DON'T LIKE UNCERTAINTY.

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

You know what. It wasn't even Hagar's fault that she became pregnant in the first place. She was just taken at somebody elses command. Then when she was with child, she probably gloated, maybe stuck her tongue out at Sara, because nananananana. But as I understand, she was still a child herself. I don't know where I got that, but I feel it's true. Anyway, Abraham & Sara didn't believe God, took the situation in their own hands, and then......Sara could have loved her even though she was showing off, and broke that cord of discontent, but either way, because of what they did & didn't do, Hagar's children were destined to rebellion, to being hated. I'm not trying to get down on anyone. Shoot, Adam had the chance to repent and turn it around, but chose not to and started the blame game instead. And now look what's happened. Mankind has sunk so low and not just now. Yet God still Loves us. That right there brings my motivation back to Christ!!! If these concubines & multiple wives was so acceptable & writen down in the law of man as okay, then why isn't it now. Praise God it's not! I see it over and over again though. Mankind is okay with some type of whatever and it's okay, until they decide it's not, and then it's not acceptable. Where's the heart through out history, through out the generations. On the sleeve maybe?

The thing that is most difficult for me to do, is being patient, although I thought I was a very patient person. I found out that I am not. I'm trying. I just have to get out of myself as I wait & do the things of God in trust, with humility and compassion in Christ. As He is compassionate for us, and has not given up on us. :) Actually for right at this moment, I think this particular Bible study is the hardest for me to submit to. I can analyse my anger all day over this, and what I find is me playing the blame game as I try to figure out what happened back then and what the purpose of it was. I don't even know why I got angry with this study. I thought I figured it out a few times, but none of that was it, because it's still there. I'm trying not to sin over it though. Maybe I'm feeling Gods anger.

4a.) What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience?

4a.) What ever we do in life, God uses it in His plan for good. No matter, how insignificant you feel; you are special in God's eyes. Created in His image to have fellowship and a relationship with Him.

4b.) Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

4b.) I am going to have to lean toward total surrender and submission. Being a former Marine and currently a cop for almost twenty five years; I am use to having the control...difficult; but with God all things are possible. Semper Fi! :rolleyes:

God does not like unfinished business. It is good to deal with situations, confront them and see what is really going on. Sometimes we need to repent, apologise, make amends, go back to a difficult situation and find the way through. In all that, God sees us, hears our cry, gives us the right path, and is our encouragement.

God is calling me back into schools at 63 years of age. This is not easy for me, but I can go with God and see what He does withthe situation! How exciting is that!

There are so many lessons to learn or to be confirmed in Hagar's experience. One is like the lesson Moses learned, that one burst of anger prohibited him from going into the promised land, and for Hagar the new habit of putting down her lord's wife because she could not have a child cost her dearly and she had to eat humble pie and return to the household in meekness and humility. Sin of any kind costs dearly. I've learned that even momentary giving in to my carnal nature has far-reaching consequences in my life. This knowledge, as much as any, puts me in holy fear of God.

It must have been incredibly hard and unjust for Hagar to be turned out of her decades-old security (Abraham's household) into the desert, there to find her own way after a lifetime of provision (even if she was a servant she was very well provided for). There is NO certainty of justice in this life. It didn't seem fair after all those years of service. There simply aren't any guarantees of security or anything else in this life, except for God's watchfulness over us and His provision for us, and our need to trust and obey Him. The rewards are in Heaven!

God is teaching me that jealousy can be a very detrimental feeling, and the consequences of this feeling can become a very sturdy wall between God and myself. He is teaching me to be totally dependent on Him, and to submit totally to Him and His wonderful guidance.

To totally submit my family to him, to understand that my family belongs to Him, and that they are just "loaned" to me. God created my family, not through anything that I did, or have done, but through His wonderful grace towards me.

That God forgives (Hagar's pride) if we repent and submit to His will no matter how humbling it may be. We must be humble to enter His kingdom.

I'm not sure at this point what God is calling me to do. However, once I am certain of His will, I would love to perform it.

Put my trust in God he never forgets he never stops doing what he says he will. If we keep the faith all the things he has promised to us will be ours. Praise the Lord.

• 1 month later...

God wants me to be submissive to His will and plan and not my own ambitions and yearnings..no, not right..He wants me to fashion my ambitions and yearnings in accordance to His will and plan. And when i in rebellion chose my own path, He stills loves me but i will suffer the consequences of my unbelief. Also, i must see everyone as equal in God's sight...overlooking their apparent social standing....for God loves everyone..so must i.

God is calling me to place my hope and trust in Him that He will provide for my future. Its' a hard thing to swallow for its humanly impossible to to comprehend how i can afford to carry on with such a huge financial burden (my course fees). Nevertheless...i will not turn away, and continue to be receptive to His voice in the desert.

The lesson that God is teaching me out of Hagar's experience is that I should submit myself to His will just as she did. I am sure that the Lord was there to protect her and made a way so that she did not have to suffer in excess. The Lord has good plans for us. He would not put us in a situation in which He would not give us help and a way out.

• 1 month later...

Advanced Member

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2

Hagar was treated unjustly in some respects. She didn't ask to become impregnated by Abraham and Sarah treated her harshly. However because of her attitude toward Sarah she wasn't totally blameless either. She "messed up" with her attitude. It was humbling to her to have to go back and submit to someone who treated her harshly. I have been in similar situations and it is so difficult to go back and submit but God never lets us take the easy way out when it comes to facing up to responsiblity.

The situation that is difficult for me to submit is staying at the job that I find so completely exhausting and that is where I have to head off to right now.

Lesson5 Q4

(a) The lesson God is teaching me out of Hagar's experience is God calls people that have a low status just as much as someone who is high in Society. God takes our mistakes and uses them to bring about His plans for out lives. Also this story of Abraham shows me that even though we are God's people we are still human with emotions.

(B) The situation God is calling me to that is hard for me to submit to is working in another denomination with young people and its blessing me, even though my denomination do not worship the same way. Sometimes it is hard to submit because I do not feel adequate to be doing what He is calling me to do because it is so very different. It is an awesome experience and it feels, oh so right and I feel so close to the Holy Spirit. Amen!

• 7 months later...

Even if people misunderstand you, are abusive, and mistreat you God still cares about you, He care what you feel, how you are treated, what you thinks and where you are going or where you been. The greatest of love in that He loved us while we were angry at Him, denying Him, refusing to obey, rebellious and wanting our own way.

I think for most christians the hardest thing to submit to is showing love and forgiveness to those in the house of God who have hurt you, talked about you and sometimes even refuse you efforts to show love and forgiveness.