JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Walk Before Me and Be Blameless

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since God knows us better than ourselves, it stands to reason He is not requiring moral perfection.

To be a blameless person is one who "shuns evil" and "walks according to the Laws of the Lord".

For Sunday School, the memory verse is Psalm 119:11 (I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.) That Psalm also starts out with "Blessed are they whose ways are blameless,

who walk according to the law of the LORD . " Just so, rereading this Psalm is like reading the "blamelessness" God is requiring of Abraham. A whole-hearted sell-out to God and God alone. He is the one and only Authority in Abraham's life. His laws (His Word) are surpreme. This doesn't mean that Abraham will be perfect in upholding the Lord's commands, laws, decrees, precepts.... but verse 10 of this Psalm says: "I seek you with all my heart". I believe this focus, this faithfulness, this desire to serve only the One True God is blamelessness before Him. Abraham kept a "short account" with God. He was transparent before Him.

I believe God expects the same from Christians today. The New Covenant presents us righteous before the God but we are not then left to our own devices as to how we act, what we do. We are called to serve him blamelessly, to forgive and be forgiven, to make God "CEO" of our life.

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection?

God expects Abraham to live out his side of the covenant wholeheartedly and honestly . . . but not perfectly. . . if any of us were perfect then Christ would have died in vain.

What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

God expects Abraham to be established in the faith living a righteous life of sincere service without offense and in devotion to Him.

Heb. 13:21; Make you compete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight

Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

I think he expects the same... only now we have the Holy Spirit within us to help . . .

God telling Abraham to be blameless does not mean that Abraham is to be

100% moral perfection, because God knows that we are just flesh and subject to our old nature, but God is asking Abraham to be obedient and in submission to the will of God.

The blamelessness that God requires is that Abraham walk before Him with a

clean heart and a strong desire for the living God, with such sacrifice God is

well pleased. I believe that God expects Abraham to be a model of a godly

man of God and an example to the people around him.

Under the New covenant, God expects nothing less but for us to walk in righteousness and holiness , without which no man will see the Lord. And to

show service and devotion in our daily walk.

1a.) (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection?

1a.) No.

1b.) (17:1-2) What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

1b.) I think Hebrews 11: 11 answers this: "By faith Abraham, even though he was past age--and Sarah herself was barren--was enabled to become a father because he considered himself faithful who had made the promise." By faith.

1c.)Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

1c.) "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9) The same.

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

I think God is requiring faith and trust and to walk with a focus on Him as the standard instead of a manmade standard. That's why God said "Walk before me and be blameless" instead of just "Be blameless".

When GOD told Abraham to "Walk before Me and be blameless," He was not telling him to be morally perfect. He was telling Abraham that He wanted him to surrender his heart to Him and walk uprightly. If he was seeking to walk with the LORD he would seek to do that which was right.

Ephesians 5:15, 16, "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." We have the written Word and GOD's Holy Spirit within us so we should walk in fellowship and obedience with our LORD. We still have the sinful nature so it depends on which nature we feed as to how faithful we are to our LORD.

When God tells Abraham "Walk before me and be blameless" is he requiring moral perfection?

I believe God is requiring moral perfection. If Abraham fails he will be forgiven and he can't do it under his own strength but I think at this point God has built up Abrahams character and faith to a point that He can require it. One definition of moral is 'capable of recognizing and conforming to the rules of right conduct'. I believe at this point Abraham was capable of moral perfection in not blatantly sinning. It didn't mean that Abraham was to be sinless. He couldn't be as he was born with a sin nature but we do not have to give in the the sin nature. 1 Cor. 10:13 No temptation has over taken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure.

Does He expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

I would hope He expects as much or more. We have the whole Word and the Holy Spirit indwelling us to help us. But we all have our growth that needs to take place to get to that point. In other words we all have to go through the same process as everyone else to grow and learn what God expects of us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

[I]God is not asking for moral perfection from Abraham. All that God is asking Abraham and us too is that we walk before Him. Walking before someone who is watching from behind puts us in a moral fort. We feel that since God is watching our every move, we have to behave ourselves. In another way, we are assured that since God is watching us from behind, He will take care of us even if we trip and fall. God is always there around to lift us up. That should give us comforting thought that we need not fear any circumstances as God is right behind us to take care of things

.[/i]Obedience to God's laws is what God desires from each of us as He desired from Abraham. As long as we try to obey God, we will be blameless.

As Christians under the new covenant, God expects more from us as we have the presence of the Holy Spirit within us. Abraham didn't have this continous support, that's why he went astray because God's promise didn't materialise as he expected soon. We haver much more responsibility and much more guidance. So naturally, God expects more from us.

Abraham is expected to live righteous before God. He expects Abraham to be true to the covenant. We are not perfect in the flesh but are complete in the spirit because of our relationship with God through Jesus Christ. We are declared righteous because of our faith in Christ. God expects the same from us today under the new covenant.

This is an interesting question because Scripture has not at this stage given any moral code like the ten commandments. God refers in Revelation to the whore who is unfaithful. I think God wants the relationship that has developed between Him and Abraham to have top priority with Abraham as it has with God. I think God does not want to feel jealous that Abraham trusts some other thing or person more than He trusts God. He called Abraham "the Friend of God", and maybe it is this relationship that God wants protected. Adam's sin was to believe not God, but another, as if the other was wiser or greater. It would seem as if God had found another "Adam" with whom He could walk in communion, and was delighted with him. However often Abraham heard from God, there seems to have been this deep trust between them. I believe that relationship was inviolate to both God and Abraham. It was certainly tested when Abraham was asked to sacrifice Isaac, having already lost Ishmael (as God lost Adam), and (painfully) his foreskin. How precious it must have been to God that Abraham continued to trust Him, in the face of all that!

I believe God is still looking for this same relationship with men, with modern Christians. We do have a lot more information in Scripture as to what this means, and how Father God has secured it for us in Christ Jesus, the price that He was prepared to pay to secure this relationship for us. But He has an ask of us that there was not with Abraham, that we should tell the whole world about Jesus, even if it costs us our great prosperity, such is Father's desire to embrace them all. With Abraham it was "Leave your homelands and go to a place I will show you + prosperity + costs" With us it is "Go ye into all the world....... take nothing....... Lay up for yourselves treasure in Heaven......" We are indeed invited to embrace God's eternal view of life, to have the mind of Christ, to soar on the wings of an eagle, to see this life as a passing phase in eternity, to share with God His vision. How few of us rise to this! How few of us are really alive with Christ! How wildly exciting it is to know someone who is! How well do we treasure them? How well do we support them?

If what you mean by "Moral" is upright and sincere, then Yes this we must be in order to be blameless in our Walk with God!!!

Malachi 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not;......

Eph. 2:8-9 For it is by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.

1 Co. 10:31-32 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God

Ro 2:14-15 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: which shew the work of the work of the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

With theses scriptures in mind, no, God is not and does not require moral perfection. Even more, I think He takes great joy in using a "faulty" person for His work and to His glory. I think the blamelessness required and that pleases God is the simple faith: that He is God Amighty and will sit as the Judge. He has given every man a conscience to bear witness within him, whether aware of the law or not.

God does not change, so I don't believe His expectations can. So He expects the same now--to be blameless in our faith and faithfulness to Him. I think He expects and always has expected of His own is to earnestly seek Him and His will (follow your conscience), and earnestly seek to be at peace with all men (which entails giving no offense--live in love).

We are now blessed with the Word to guide us with what the heart of God desires for us, which is to live with Him in His fullness and hard won victory! I think if we can be faithful in/with His love, His grace will cover us as He grows us to be ever more like Jesus.

GOD EXPECTED ABRAHAM TO LIVE A RIGHTEOUS LIFE BEFORE HIM. HE EXPECTED HIM TO LIVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY AND HONESTLY AS A VASSAL KEEPING TO HIS SIDE OF THE COVENANT. BEING THE SEED OF ABRAHAM WE ARE EXPECTED TO THE SAME KIND OF BLAMELESSNESS AND TO LIVE RIGHTEOUS AND HONESTLY. IT IS AN EVERLASTING COVENANT FOR GENERATIONS TO COME. GOD NEVER CHANGES OR CHANGES HIS MIND.

• 2 weeks later...

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection?

No, God is not requiring moral perfection because He knows no man was or ever would be perfect except for His Son Jesus.

What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

I believe God required Abraham to keep the covenant, to raise His sons according to them, to keep his household a Godly household and for him to live a Godly life....to love God with all his heart, all his soul and all his mind.

Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

I think perhaps that God expects more of Christians since we have experienced the love of Jesus the Messiah whom God promised to send.

Abraham works where righteousness to God and he did not expect anything more than to obey the GOD of his life and he knew. He had to walk in what he was shown. We today are so blessed to have the word of God before us to read and learn. We will be responsible for all that is in the Bible and it is not worse for us it is a blessing to be able to read and let the word be opened to us.

Q1= GOD WAS NOT EXPECTING MORAL PERFECTION FROM ABRAHAM. ABRAHAM AND SARAH TRIED IN AN EARLIER ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN THE PROMISE OF AN OFFSRING FROM GOD BY USING HAGAR, SO WHEN GOD SAYS "WALK BEFORE ME AND BE BLAMELESS" HE IS SAYING DON'T DO THINGS OF YOUR OWN ACCORD BUT TRUST MY WORD AND HAVE FAITH. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT HE IS SAYING TO BELIEVERS TODAY!

Abraham is to live out his side of the covenant by being obedient and submissive to God's will. He is to be establishe in his faith by living a life of devotion to God. This doesn't mean that God expects complete moral perfection from Abraham since Abraham is still subject to his sin nature.

God does expect him to fulfill his side of the covenant honestly and wholeheratedly.

I think God expects more from Christians under the new covenant because we have been given the Holy Spirit to help us.

I believe God is commanding him to walk in faith, to trust and love God and to love others. If we walk this way, we obey all the laws and the prophets. Moral perfection is impossible with humans. Our entire walk is a striving toward perfection but perfection cannot be obtained on our own as we are all sinful dirty rags but it is by our faith in Christ, who is our perfection. Praise God!