JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Significance of Circumcision

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sign of the covenant between God and Abraham and others and serve as a covenant to time indefinite.

Because the covenant begins with Abraham and men that follow.

That he is obedientto God and accept the covenant.

Circumcision signifies for Abraham, his household, and his descendents that they have confirmed their covenant with God. This kind of definite act on Abraham's part is important to confirming the covenant because it shows that the covenant is now two-sided. Each side now has an obligation to keep the covenant intact. Abraham's obedience on the very same day signifies that he was taking no chances on breaking the covenant with God.

Abraham was given a sign, that his flesh be marked, thus it was to him and his family a sign of a covenment between Abraham and GOD.. But where I am puzzled, is what, if any, sign do I subscribe too? If I read the NT correctly, circumscion avails nothing.... except that of the Cross, Tree.... and that by Faith I believe that Jesus is indeed the CHRIST... I could be of course, be missing the point of the question.. well cheers for now, gordon the kiwi kid

Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

It signifies that Abraham and all his household have fulfilled thier part of the covenant. Since this covenant is two sided, it is natural that God expects Abraham to do his part. It signifies that now Abraham and all his descendants are eligible for God's promises. :D

Abraham's part requires action to be taken on his part. He knows that and takes the measure required by God. He, along with all his household get circumcised immediately, in obedience to God's commands. :(

Abraham is all concerned that he should obey God. His obedience on the same day signifies his level of obedience. There is no hesitancy and dilly dallying. Often when we procastinate, we lose the importance of the event and ultimately we forget altogether. In order that such a situation doesn't arise, Abraham does the job immediately. :) Now he can rest assured that God is happy and he is assured of his promises by God.

2a.) (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents?

2a.) A visible sign and reminder of the covenant God had made with him.

2b.) (17:11) Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant?

2b.) Again, I believe that it was as a physical (painful :blink: ) reminder for Abram and his family; because men are quick to forget their commitments. Look at the litigious society we have now.

2c.) (17:11) What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

2c.) His entering in or agreement with the covenant. Like your signature on a contract.

Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? It

a. Circumcisn to Abraham signifies that He is in submission to A Holy God and that obedience should be the result of such a holy alliance. He also has been made aware that any blessings on him will carry down to his descendants, even to Christ and all those who will follow Him.

A definite act on Abraham's part is required because usually a convenant requires two parties to be in agreement with each other , as well as establishing responsibility by both sides.

Abraham's obedience the same day is important as Abraham is made aware

that some of his family,descendants can be cut off by God for not walking in

this step of obedience.

Circumcision for Abraham, his household, and his descendents signified they are members of the covenant people. GOD made the covenant and their circumcision was a sign that they were in that covenant.

Abraham's act did not confirm the covenant, GOD confirmed the covenant. Abraham's act showed that he was a member of the covenant that GOD had made.

Abraham's quick obedience showed that he believed GOD as the Scripture says.

I found this 3 point meaning of the covenant in Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible. I agree with it and hope that you don't mind that I included it here:

"1. It is established; not to be altered nor revoked. It is fixed, it is ratified, it is made as firm as the divine power and truth can make it.

2. It is entailed; it is a covenant, not with Abraham only (then it would die with him), but with his seed after him, not only his seed after the flesh, but his spiritual seed.

3. It is everlasting in the evangelical sense and meaning of it. The covenant of grace is everlasting. It is from everlasting in the counsels of it, and to everlasting in the consequences of it; and the external administration of it is transmitted with the seal of it to the seed of believers, and the internal administration of it by the Spirit of Christ's seed in every age."

I have no thoughts of my own to add here. Many thoughts go through my mind, but not in an order that I can readily convey. Also, I do not want to speak from my mind, so I will leave this response "as is" and so will wait on The Lord to reveal it to my heart. I will say this though; I am greatful that Abraham didn't waste any time on being obedient :) .

IT SIGNIFIES THAT HE IS A MEMBER OF A COVENANT PEOPLE AND THAT HIS HOUSEHOLD WAS UNDER THE SAME COVENANT. ALL PROMISES OF THE COVENANT BELONGED TO ALL OF ABRAHAM'S DESCENDANTS ALSO. IT WAS AN OBLIGATION UNDER THE COVENANT OUTLINED BY GOD FOR ABRAHAM TO SHOW THAT HE AGREED WITH THE COVENANTAND IT WAS TO SHOW HIS UNIQUE RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. ABRAHAM OBEYED THAT SAME DAY TO SHOW HIS FAITH. MY, WHAT FAITH IT WAS!!! TO SHOW GOD THAT HE TRUSTED HIM FULLY AND WITH HIS WHOLE HEART WITHOUT A QUESTION. HE SHOWED HIS LOVE BY ACTING THAT QUICKLY.

• 2 weeks later...

Circumcision was for Abraham and is to Jews today an outward sign of unquestioning obedience. By undertaking this painful procedure, Abraham was demonstrating the faith God knew he had that was so important in the role he is to play until eternity - the father of all nations. Abraham does not hesitate to perform this because he had come to trust in God and to know that what God said was in his best interests. Perhaps also he felt that by delaying it would further delay God's plan to provide him a son.

What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents?

Obedience to God

Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant?

He was showing again his obedience and his faith in God's covenant.

What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

That Abraham was anxious to obey God.

It shows Abraham obedience to God. No question ask he was going to do it right then. It was a reminder to Abraham of what God had promised him and his generations. Abraham faith was without dough it was shown by the way his obedience of the same day he was told to do it. We all need to do things when God speaks to our hearts.

Q2= CIRCUMCISION WAS A SIGN OF A PLEDGE, AN OATH , A TRUE COMMITMENT TO THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY. AND GOD HONORING THEIR PLEDGE "COMMITMENT" TO HIM WOULD HOLD TO HIS WORD AND BESTOW NOT ONLY THE PROMISED CANAAN LAND BUT THE ETERNAL CANAAN LAND. THIS ACTION OF ABRAHAM SHOWED HIS OBEDIENCE TO THE LORD. HIS EAGERNESS TO DO IT SHOWED THAT HE WAS NOT SLACKFUL BUT EXCITED AT THE WORD GOD GAVE HIM BELIEVING THAT IT WOULD COME TO PASS.

That they belong to God. A permenant sign in the flesh serves as a constant reminder of God's covenant with Abraham and his descendents. Abraham must be a willing participant in the agreement. Both sides must willingly agree for an agreement to be binding. Abraham's immediate obedience shows an eager attitude to serve God. It also shows reverence. Had he waited the next day it would have indicated pride or doubt and would have brought the same response from God that Cain did with his disprespectful offerings.

• 1 month later...

It is to signify that they are chosen by God for a very special purpose and have to be kept holy throughout the line for that purpose, that is the Lord Jesus.

It is to remind the generations of this covenant God made with their ancestor and that they honor it too, with the Lord who does not change.

It signifies his exemplary faith and obedience

• 1 month later...

:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

The circumcision signifies for Abrahm, his household and his descendents that they are set apart, God called to be His people.

A covenant (contract) requires two or more parties to meet in agreement of action. (Each to do his part) Abraham's was to show his obedience to God and his willingness to be set apart.

Abraham's obedience the very same day signifies to me, his absolute belief and love in God. He takes God literally at His word, (after one last offer to God to accepet Ishmael as the answer). When he knows absolutely that this is God and His will, he does not hesitate to get on with his obedience.