JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doing What Is Just and Right

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" in the twenty-first century is to be in the world, but not of the world. This is difficult because there are so many destractions. This can also be easy because of the many sources for education and ministry. The special challenges this presents is using the world and reclaiming it for the glory of God.

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

Keeping the way of the Lord, which is right and just is a very challenging proposition for the 21st century individual. In no way can you walk the straight and narrow path except if you are in the Lord. There are turns and twists at every moment and its very difficult to keep to the correct track. Peter's advice to the believers in 1 Peter 5:8, be sober, be vigilant...has to be memorised and taken cognisance of. Unless we are aware of the devils traps, we cannot escape them. That can be done only with the Lord in us. He that is in us is stronger than he that is outside of us. Claim His promises and live the life according to His will. Only then can we adhere to keeping the lifestyle of the Lord.

Special challenges are in the field of Integrity, Knowledge of the Word of God, Loving our neighbors as ourselves, Practising a witnessing life and living in constant communion with the Lord. :rolleyes:

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century. In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

I see a falling away from The Gospel Of Truth. What it looks like is people deciding for them selves what is truth or not. If it feels good to them and or seems right then that's what they do. If they do not agree with Gods Word, then that which they don't agree upon, they say man wrote it and follow their own lusts. If a True Christian does come along, then that person is labeled intolerable, is rejected, & outcast (Alleluia Yeshua!!!)

This mindset of people's is difficult for them. Their loss. It's sad for them.

It is easy in the sense that you can see the adversary a mile away.

Special Challenges??? As far as history goes, just read Gods' Word and take a look around. It is challenging to reach these people with the Truth! They don't want to know. So Sad.

3a.) (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century?

3a.) Having a Biblical worldview of the issues of today. The sanctity of life. The honoring and protection of the sanctity of marriage. A lifestyle that is reflective of Christ; that glorifies God. Maintaining that their is such a thing as absolute truth, which is from the One True Living God. That there is only one way to God and that is through Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

3b.) (18:19)  In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

3b.) The very points I have mentioned above are contrary to a secular worldview. Hence, you have a tendency to irritate people when you intelligently confront them with the fact that their secular view is not correct. And of course that is not politically correct in these days. :ph34r: However, for the lost to be saved, there must be recognition of these unpopular truths.

In this 21 century it is hard for one to stay in the Lord. So much is going on in the world. And we find many who get caught up in the world. But in order to not to get caught up in this old world, we got to keep our mind on Him. I know it is hard, but let Jesus guide you. Trust me, He is there for you.

In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century.

It looks strange to others, yet at the same time appealing to those wo want what you have. It looks like the fruit of the Spirit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control

In what ways is this difficult?

It

Being a Christian in the twenty-first century sometimes seems little different from the early church described in Acts. Today Christians are persecuted, denigrated, mocked, scoffed at, and are viewed as intolerant, bible-thumping zealots.

Contemporary culture seems to take deliberate strides in to oppose Christian values in our schools, towns and courts. Displays of the Ten Commandments offend the public, while homosexuality is celebrated. Truth is subjective. Right and wrong are relative to the situation.

We

Pastor Ralph, you ask some pretty good questions. Thank you!

In the 21st century I beleive that becoming "separated unto Jesus", at least behaviourally, is the issue. Our society now has Christian roots, and because of that there are many good things in it. This is why humanists (who have benefitted from those traditions that come from Christian roots) think about the "essential" goodness! of human nature and think we can build a great society without God. However, there is so much subtle antichrist about now in every area, not to mention film, TV, music, school, business and other communities. Violence is beginning to frighten people in our western societies now, but we still present these terrible violent games, films etc to our children. We have to study everything to discover whether it will please Jesus and the Father, what effect it may have on the children,etc. Soon, very soon, we will need, like Lot, to stand alone and righteous in our neighbourhood communities. Satan has such a foothold with children through peer group pressures and consumerism. We must learn how to counter these things, and we will only do it through right-functioning families, in which the man takes his rightful leadership role, with his wife supporting him to do it, and showing the children the value of a godly lifestyle, and letting them experience it. But don't let it bore them to tears. Their lifestyle has to be exciting to compete with those of other children and come up shining! Otherwise they will get rebellious, and we are not to be so hard on them as to produce this, all the while disciplining them to become righteous young men and women.

There is so much to this, yet there are so few people in the churches interested in the children! Try and find men for the children's church! ouch! Yet there are so many unfathered children - boys, to teach, and they want to hear from MEN! O Father, please turn the fathers' hearts to the children! Godly family life that takes proper account of childhood curiousity (outside of "church" affairs) has a chance. God put us in families for a reason. We need to get back to where the family is more important than the peer group. As a child, you can't learn wisdom when you only meet other children your own age. You can't learn wisdom when you do not respect your elders, or when they are not inspiring to you.

To run a good family the marriage has to be right so that father and mother are not at cross purposes. Life has to be fun and exciting , and also challenging for children. Much time has to be given to family life, responsibilities and fun. There is so much competing for the attention of the children that families have to be spot on.

In other words, consideration of the needs of children has a lot to do with establishing the right lifestyle.

PROVIDING I UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION?

To keep the way of the Lord in the 21st century is to say the least,

A CHALLENGE, as being a christian is becoming more unpopular every

day with this secular-minded society in which we live. 2 Tim 4 describes

the kind of people there will be in the last days- lovers of pleasure more

than lovers of God, coveteous, blasphemers, unnatural affection etc..

The sad part is that even moral people are buying into this type of

lifestyle, and accepting it because it is politically correct.

It is difficult because more and more , Christianity is being attacked on all

fronts (while cults are embraced). In Canada , our motto WAS "God shall

have dominion from sea to sea": that is now a joke. I now can go to jail

for saying anything derogatory about the gay life style which is an abomination in the sight of God.

Being a christian is NOT easy, but knowing that we already have the victory

through Christ makes me press on, knowing that our labour is not in vain in

the Lord.

The special challenges involve standing fast in the Lord, when the way is

not clear; trusting God when there is no evidence that it is the right thing to do. Preaching the Word in a God-rejecting society

Prayer request: Please pray that I might know where God would have me

to minister this church year. Stand Fast, Grace.

I think if we love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind and strength, we will live a lifestyle of keeping the way of the Lord. This requires staying in is Word and prayer for we cannot even do this on our own strength even though we desire too. If we just obey Him it is easy. It seems when I don't obey it is not easy. There are many special challenges but distraction by many things seems to be a challenge to me and not living by faith but by sight.

God Bless!

Jen

Number6:24-26

God has given us His Holy Spirit to guide us to maturity in Christ. We should be developing an intimate fellowship with our Lord, daily. We should be seeking to shift our attention from self to others. Love of God must reflect itself in a concern for others. We must know when to work and when to wait. We should pray, knowing that when we are helpless, we are not hopeless. We should be developing thoughts like our Lords. If there are problems and circumstances that we cannot understand then we should rest in knowing our God is all powerful. If we employ justice, truth, mercy and love, as our Lord would, what a comfort we can know and share with others.

I don

Q3. (18:19) In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century.

Keeping the way of the Lord and doing what is right is a sign of a transformed mind and heart. You are free to choose how you react to all situations in this world. Therefore, when you are presented with something that goes against God's word you must make a decision. That decision may cause you to be fired, lose a relationship, or lose business opportunities, etc. The main factor is do you choose to lose your relationship with God.

At times people put more emphasis on what they will lose, or how they will look, or how they will be interpreted by others instead of facing what God will think. God knows us, He protects us, but we are also challenged. When we are, it is time to specify who we stand for, with and through. If we do not, can we say we are Christians? Can we claim allegiance to Christ.

Take a look at Billy Graham, he presents a lifestyle that shows what keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just in the twenty-first century looks like. At one time many like him claimed much, but over time they fell. Billy Graham still stands. I believe he is close to God and that is why he still stands.

In what ways is this difficult? In what ways is this easy? What are the special challenges?

I believe the greatest difficulties are presented to us via our faith. When we are presented with difficulties they tend to shake our faith and hope in God to care for us.

When my wife contracted cancer my first thought was why, my second thought was, how could God allow this, she is a good woman with a great heart for Him. I was mad, at God. When my daughter came down with cancer six months after my wife's ordeal was over I really got mad. I shook my fist at God. Neither of those two responses show a man who was living in a way that kept God first in his heart. Yet, that was the reality of my heart then.

In the last year and a half I have lost much. I have lost jobs, titles, savings and even for a short period, personal worth. Yet God never abandoned me, He never stopped loving me and He never stopped caring for me. He even made sure we had what we needed.

Today, I can say that my relationship with God is closer than it has ever been before. I can say that I feel secure; I can say that He is my rock which allows me to stand in the midst of all. I look to Him for everything and He continues to speak to me daily. Even right now as He guides me in this communication. Yes, I believe God influences me in all I do now because I am closer to Him and He is first in my life.

So, I guess when people look at me they do not see anything special on the outside beyond a smile a firm handshake. But, when they start to speak to me they come to realize that there is something different about me. Even when we eat lunch together and I thank God for His provision and ask Him to bless the food, they know something is different. It is really unique, it is a time when I can share a little seed and like a farmer watch the seed grow in God's garden.

Being right and just in the 21st century is no different than in any other century. Since God never changes, the way He expects us to behave never does. His Word always was and always will be. It is the guidebook for how to live in any century. Today I was reminded of that as I revealed some dissessions my care group was having to another Christian. Someone not even of my faith reminded me that the solution was so simple and she directed me to remember what the Bible says about such matters. I asked her what specific passage would help in this situation and she immediately came up with one. Suddenly the lightbulb went on and the solution seemed so simple.

The challenge in the 21st century is that there is so much going on in our lives everyday - the radio, the tv, video games so much noise pollution that it is hard to really hear God. We don't take enough time away from our busy lives to remember to listen to Him and to ask Him for things. When we do, it is amazing how He will direct us to the right answers right there in His letter to us.

I think it looks the same as in any other century. Living without offending others (1Co. 10:32) Living according to God's laws, with love, honor, dignity, respect, compassion, hospitality and generosity for yourself and those around you.

It's most difficult I think where the flesh is concerned (duh). When people don't deserve these things it really trys you to give it, but that's the whole point. If we loved only those who love and are nice to us we are no better than unbelievers. We must always remember that none of us without Christ deserve these things, and we too were once drowning in our sin.

The easy part? Knowing that HE first loved me! That is how I came to Him, and that is how the lost will find Him as well, by experiencing that love through us.

The most special challenge I think is overcoming all the false doctrine. Too many people think being right is being righteous. The word says the letter of the law brings death, but the spirit brings life (2Co. 3:6). Sinners can't be brought into obedience to the law until they first are transformed by the LOVE.

In keeping the way of the Lord as a lifestyle we must do what is right & just, we would love our neighbor as ourself, we would do unto others as we would like to be treated, we'd give more of ourselves and do the things that Christ did when He walked this earth. Just going to Church is not enough!! We must follow with actions as Christ did.

In such a corrupt evil world we must first go to God in Prayer and ask His guidance. To not go the way of the world is hard because we can fall if we don't stay prayed up and follow what is in scripture as a way to live.

It is not just reading the word but as I have said being a doer of the word and faith will spring up in you and God will use you. It looks different to us because we are not fully trusting in God for all things the way we should we need to have more of him in our lives and do what he has told us to do. Today it seems all are religious and not many really know who Jesus or God are it is the in thing at this time in life to be religious but it is not the in thing to serve the God of creation and to know his son Jesus personially and to follow in his work and word. Today all want to be christian or religious but most do not do what it takes to stay in the will of our Lord.

In your own words, describe what a lifestyle of "keeping the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just" looks like in the twenty-first century.

It's keeping the way of the Lord the same way it has always been, God never changes.

In what ways is this difficult?

It's difficult because although we are not of this world, we do live in this world.

In what ways is this easy?

It's easy when we keep in the forefront of our minds that God is always there, ready to help us, always leading when we let Him.

What are the special challenges?

I think the special challenges are that as time moves on, it becomes more and more difficult to raise children in a Godly home because of the outside influences they see. It's a challenge to stay married as so many Christian marriages are even breaking up as satan attacks our families. And, the world's goals are all about monetary success, whereas a Christian's goal is to please God and spend eternity with him.

Q3= A LIFE STYLE OF KEEPING THE WAY OF THE LORD IS ONE OF DISCIPLINE AND LIVING BY A HIGHER STANDARD THAN THAT OF THE WORLD. THE WORLD SAYS AND DOES EVERYTHING OPPOSITE TO THE WORD OF GOD. THE DOCTRINE OF THIS WORLD SAYS A LITTLE "WHITE" LIE IS OK, SCRIPTURE SAYS THAT GOD HATES A LYING TONGUE. THE WORLD SAYS IT'S NOT WHATS ON THE INSIDE BUT HOW YOU LOOK ON THE OUTSIDE THAT COUNTS, SCRIPTURE SAYS THAT GOD LOOKS ON THE HEART OF MAN TO SEE IF HE MEASURES UP(SPIRITUALLY). THE WORLD SAYS IF IT FEELS GOOD(AND DOESN'T HURT ANYONE) DO IT, JESUS SAID TO DENY OURSELVES, PICK-UP OUR CROSS AND FOLLOW HIM. IT IS NOT EASY LIVING IN THIS WORLD BUT TO DO SUCCESSFULLY FOR CHRIST WE MUST READ AND STAY IN GOD'S WORD FOR IN IT IS TRUTH, WISDOM, INSTRUCTION AND SAFETY.

Keeping the way of the Lord was never admired by the general community - in Noah's day, Lot's city, Adelaide at this point in time. It always requires a person to have a greater vision for life than those around him/her, and the strength of purpose to follow the vision and not be put off by people's comments. This is, and always has been, a great strenths, powerful determination, a matter of the heart and not of the mind. For in the world, out of the heart comes all manner of deceit. Yet for the spiritfilled man who loves his Christ, out of the heart comes a great passion for the Christ's lost which will determine his life, and everything in his life will be yielded to that purpose. This separates him out from the crowd - even the crowd in church, because in church these days everyone is searching what it has to offer themselves.

This is difficult if your heart is not right wih God. If your heart is right with God no other life is possible.

This is easy because in all circumstances joy will enthrall you, peace will direct you, Father will bless you and love will abound in you, and the relationships you share at the deepest level will constantly astound you!

The special challenges are to be on track with Father constantly, to read His Holy Spirit moment by moment, to kill off the carnal nature completely, to have total trust in difficult times, to remain loving and vulnerable when hurt, to be an open book for all to read.

Keeping the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just isn't easy these days. There are so many things the world,the flesh,and the devil use today to drew us away from our faith. We all know ***********,homosexuality, abortion, etc,are sinful and wrong. Yet there are so many shades of gray.

Is it ok for a Christian to drink? What type of music is ok for a Christian for a to listen to? What about Christian rock? Christian rap?

Is it acceptable or unacceptable for a Christian to read the latest bestselling novels. What about science fiction? What about murder mysteries?

In ways this is difficult because there is the pressure to be tolerant.

In ways,keeping with a Godly lifestyle is easy because we have the Holy Spirit to guide and direct us. Also belong to a local church or being part of a group of believers who will hold one accountable helps too.

• 2 weeks later...

Being honest and just means not taking anything (like supplies) from the office..a little here a little there doesn't SEEM like stealing, but it is. Copying music to cd's is another form of stealing. Telling little "white lies". A lie is a lie no matter how small it may seem or even if it doesn't hurt anyone it hurts the person doing it. As we continue doing these seemingly small things it grows and we become hardened so it really hurts us. It's difficult to maintain today because everyone does it and if we don't we stand out like a sore thumb and get labeled "miss goody two shoes" or something. In a society where everything and anything is acceptable and shock is a thing of the past, morals are a hard thing to hold onto. It takes conviction and strength and requires daily reading - for renewing our minds (cleansing it) and prayer for strength to overcome all these temptations that bombard us. In short, we have to separate ourselves and come out from among those who prefer to live in darkness. This takes strength that the Holy Spirit provides if we allow Him to, lest we be weighted by peer pressure and sink down into the crowd.

• 4 weeks later...