JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Homosexuality

Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It disgusts God to be homosexual it is a sin.I do think though that God loves sinners and wishes them to repent,and would forgive as He forgives all our sins if we come to Jesus.I think the church needs to feel unconditional love towards homosexuals but in love let them know they're sinning towards God

Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

[

Edited by PressThrough

It isn't easy, especially in our society today that considers any discussion about things that God's word teaches is sin as a sign of being narrow and judgemental--for today, the prevailing thought is: whatever I want to do, I should be able to do, and be praised for doing it!

We must say that this is sin, for God says it is sin. The church cannot be silent--but, we must also recognize all of us sin in one way or another. None is without sin. We must love the sinner but hate the sin and pray that our neighbor or friend will be touched by God and saved from his/her sin--just as we pray that each of us is saved by Him!

I am unsure what "balance" means when it comes to this topic.

Plan and simple, homosexuality is a sin unto death for any and all who practice it.

Even if the preposterous idea that homosexuality may be genetic were true, I'd say so what. The tendencies of the flesh(ie **** greed gluttony etc) are present in all of us from birth. If we purposely rebel against God in continued willful participation in them, the pursuits of the flesh, we are headed for hell.

I do not understand this tone of near reverence when we are addressing this issue (on the part of some). On more than one occassion, God chose to look sinners in the eye and say "brood of vipers". His goal was simple. There should be no waffling on the issue of willful sin against Christ and His dictates.

When it comes to the message, we should be clear. When it comes to delivering the message, the target audience should leave the sermon, conversation, debate, knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the person delivering God's Word (me, you or any Christian) loves them as Christ loves us.

1.) (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

1.) Dear friends, this behavior is not natural. In a wonderful book by Dr. Jeffrey Satinover called "Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth"; he addresses this subject and how the radical lobby hijacked the American Psychiatric Association and had this behavior removed from its list of treatable behaviors. In fact, there has been movements to keep those who wish to be healed of this compulsive / addictive behavior from getting help from psychiatry with threats of malpractice to those doctors who reach out. Despite overwhelming medical and scientific evidence of its harmful effects to those caught in its grip.

Why does God list this as an abomination? Well read what Dr. Satinover reveals: "..the gay male life span, even apart from AIDS and with a long term partner, is significantly shorter that that of married men in general by more than three decades. AIDS further shortens the life span of homosexual men by more than seven per cent" (Page 69)

Dr. Satinover reflects: "Thus the compulsions are neither simple choices nor true illnesses. They are a category unto themselves that includes elements of both choice and disease. They are a process, a way or path by which life--a free, moral life--is progressively, not all at once, undone. It is this erosion of moral capacity that makes these preeminently spiritual conditions. For if there were no morality to consider, what difference would it make what a man did?" (Page 176)

Just like anyone of us that is dealing or has dealt with a sin that seems to rear its head from time to time until we eventually gain victory through the power of the Holy Spirit, and Lord Jesus Christ; so do those dealing with the complexity of this behavior. We need to reach out with the message of freedom from the bondage of this behavior through Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul delivers sobering words to those who do not repent and wonderful words to those in Corinth who have been delivered: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-11) Great news for all of us!! :lol: Let others know it waits for them too!

**Dr. Satinover addresses this issue from the psychiatric, medical and spiritual points in this well written book that the radical lobby would like to see fade into oblivion. A must read if you wish to help those who need help.

I don't go out of my way to be harsh to people that do homosexuality, but I don't sugar coat the truth either.  I let people that have confronted me with this know that I have nothing to do with that lifestyle, and that it is an abomination to the Lord.  I also let them know that I am willing to be their friend (the friendship I offer is conditional, it is according to God.  Where He said do not walk, stand, or sit, then I go. I'll leave em right there and not partake in any mischief) I'll study the Bible with them, but they have to accept me for me, that I love God in all of His Majesty, and that I am not going there.  Does that sound harsh of me?  Maybe it is, but people who pretend to want to be my friend, make it to where I have to accept them for them, so why can't I?  huh?  I can.  And I do have conditions for friendship.  Out Of Love, according to God!  Well they usually don't try to get around me after that, unless I have something they want, and then they'll be around for as long as it takes to get it, even if it were I who offered it (*[/size]cheesecake, etc.) so they could enjoy it too, and know that I only have their best interest at heart.  So yes it is possible to be loving and compassionate toward sinners, as you reach out with the Truth, which doesn't always feel good.  But after so many times of someone rejecting the Truth and or trying to make it a lie.  There comes a point when you just have to walk away.  I think its after the third rejection.  Once a person rejects Christ for the 3rd time, then they are given up & over to a reprobate mind.  Do not pity them and move on.  They made their choise.  Don't tolerate somebody trampeling Jesus Blood underfoot infront of you.

There's an extremely fine line that needs to be trod here. It's one thing to say to a homosexual friend "I believe that when you practice homosexuality you are living a life that is completely unacceptable to God." That's a pretty cut and dried statement and one that has no sentimentality attached to it, either positive or negative. But one must ALSO say to this friend (or son or daughter) "I will love you unconditionally no matter how you choose to live your life." When we place conditions upon our love or our prayers we aren't walkiing the walk. If you truly love a person you will never put them out of mind or out of your prayers. And it's not necessary to pity them or to participate in their lifestyle in order to do this. Saying "Thank you for inviting me to your commitment ceremony, but you know that I cannot attend because it condones a way of life that I believe is contrary to God's will" is a perfectly loving response. So is gently refusing to meet a friend who is cohabitating at their home or even going out to dinner with that friend and their partner. But there's no reason why you should not meet that friend alone for lunch or invite him/her to an event. Your relationship is with your friend, not with his/her partner, and it's up to you to lovingly choose to keep it that way. Your friend may choose to take offense and storm off, but if you truly love him/her you will treat this as a temporary state of affairs and continue to pray and (if appropriate) to stay in touch.

Deciding that when someone rejects your statement of a biblical principle 3 times that you should give up is simply arbitrary and there is no support I can think of for making that kind of decision. There just isn't any option to walk away. The disciples were real blockheads sometimes, but I don't recall that Jesus gave up on them after 3 tries.

For a Christian to keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day we should be familiar with GOD's Word on the subject. He condemned it throughout the entire Bible. If one reads Romans 1:18 - 32 there is no way to get around this sin.

Yes, a Christian can be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals but we should tell them what GOD's Word says about it and we must pray for them.

No, the church should never be silent about homosexuality, the entire Word of GOD must be preached condemning all sin. It should be said from the pulpit and anywhere else where the opportunity presents itself.

We can keep a balance on the issue of homosexuality by reading the Word and understanding what God says about it and by understanding that it also says for All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

I think it is possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin by speaking the truth "IN LOVE". If we have the holy sprit in us by first confessing our own sin and asking God to Cleanse us and asking Him to fill us with HIs Holy Spirit we can do this. Without the Holy Spirit I find to often I am condemning and not remembering my own position in Christ and how I was and how it is I am in Christ today. The same as He did for me He wants to do for the homosexual. We can be loving toward the homosexual by silently prayng for them. I seem to love the ones I pray for. I understand them as God sees them. With a soul that He is not wanting to perish but to spend all eternity with Him who bought us with a price.

If the church is silent on the isssue of homosexuality what other parts of God's Word should we ignore. His Word is to be preached in its entirety.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day?

Walk in the truth of God

Christians can keep balance on the issue of homosexuality by STANDING FIRM

on the Word of God and offering no compromise . Let there be no misunderstanding, that those who blatantly practice such perversion will not

inherit the kingdom of God.

It is possible to be loving and compassionate toward practising homosexuals

because Jesus died for all men and for all types of sin. God is not willing that

any should perish , but that all men may come to REPENTANCE.

No. The church should take a stand against such a practice. It is abominable in

the sight of the Lord.

We should be saying it whenever we are approached on the subject for our

view of stand in this matter.

I have left churches that have made homosexuality too much of an issue. My heart goes out to those who have felt that they could not come into a church because the righteous Christians say they have to clean up their act before they should set foot in the door. How can they be expected to learn the Gospel if we don't allow them to come to church just as they are, if we don't show the love of Christ without judgment? The song says "Come just as you are". Jesus came to save the lost. I am confident that if He were here today He would be walking with the homosexual as He would with all types of sinners.

They are no different than the rest of us sinners except that they wear their sin on their sleeve. There is no one perfect. Not not one and I do not feel that we should judge homosexuals differently than other sinner. My pastor says he would welcome homosexuals to his congregation because it is not his church, but Christ's and he knows Christ would want it that way. He would not expect much from them at the beginning other than a desire to learn the truth. He would pray that as they learn about God's expectations and grow to a deep and personal relationship with Christ, that they would begin to shed their old selves and put on the new. He would encourage them to participate in the spirit filled life which does not condone homosexuality. By reaching out as Jesus would, we have a chance to change their hearts and lives.

I often participate in theatre where I meet many homosexuals. I have always made a special effort to be friendly and to be sure they knew that I was a Christian. None of them lived near my church so as of yet I have not invited them to church, but I hope eto someday have an opportunity to discuss Christ with them. But in order to do that they would have to trust me because they have been hurt so many times before by others to righteous to give them the time of day.

Christians have to take a stand against homosexuality. That is Biblical. But as God loves everyone, homos included, we should also love them as our neighbors. Condemn the sin but not the sinner. That is Biblical. That's the balance we can talk about in our days. Unless one is born of the Spirit, we cannot do the works of the Spirit. It is possible to love the sinner and hate the sin, if the Holy Spirit lives in us and takes control of our actions in our day to day life. :rolleyes:

The church should never be silent in this regard. The topic should be addressed openly. Some may get hurt and disgusted but the truth is there for everyone to see. Bush won the electoral platform because he condemned the gay marriages, one of the electoral issues. Church should condemn this sin from every platform but allow the participants to come to the truth and change for the better. God and Bible condemn this behaviour and so the church should follow suit. But love should never be extinguished just because of this behaviour. :o

Sin is sin and it ALL leads to death. This truth is evidently manifested in our lives by the destruction and unhappiness reaped by those that have not been set free. Even Christans can struggle with the bondages of it and only the Lord's grace keeps us from receiving the full harvest. Homosexuality is a sin comparable to a drug or alcohol addiction. How could we withold Christ's love from any of those so obviously broken and in desperate need of it. To hold homosexuality to a higher standard of sin is just not true justice. They are a people bound to death, just as every other lost soul.

It takes a true work of the Holy Spirit to balance the love with the condemnation of sin, and it's my opinion that it's only the agape love for a lost brother or sister that can convey that message.

No, the church should not be silent about it, as it should not be silent about any other sin. And those churches that condone it by allowing church leaders to be practicing homosexuals are going to have a rod of iron to answer to soon enough. We should be saying it how ever, where ever and when ever the Holy Spirit guides us to do so, and only then.

By not exposing our families to it. We can love the sinner and hate the sin. The church should preach it from the pulpit. It is a sin and condemned in the Bible. It is an abomination. Sin is sin and the church should be preaching on it just like they do anything else.

Enough said!!

Christians can keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day is to realize that we all have some sort of sin to deal with and that their sin is just as wicked as ours. It really is possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin, especially when they are in your family. You love them, so it makes you aware that they are human, just as we are. The church should not be silent about homosexuality. They should make members aware that it is a sin just as alcoholism, adultery, murder, etc. This should be taught at the church to the youth, to the congregation, and the church's position should be stated in any paraphenilia stating their beliefs.

I loved Pastor Ralph's suggestion that homosexuality is no more or less evil than adultery etc. I believe we can keep balance on this issue today, and the above comment is the key.

There are many sins that prohibit leadership in the church. Homosexuality is one. Adultery, fornication, stealing, murder, lying, drunkenness are others. The trouble with sexual sin of any kind is that once sexuality is opened up, (whether within marriage or not) it is a very forceful part of human nature. God's intention is that it be opened only in marriage for the sake of children who need safe marriages, fathers and mothers if they are to become stable adults. When sexuallity is opened up outside of marriage it is still a forceful part of human nature and will require outlet. However, this is ungodly right from the first time it was undertaken. It is ungodly because it nurtures ****, whether for the same or for the opposite sex. ****, given the opportunity, brings about sexual addiction (whether for same or opposite sex), and sexual addiction is very difficult to deal with, as is any other addiction. Sexual addiction is a misuse and abuse of sexuality, and a very difficult habit to break. So homosexuality is like any other sin - anathema to God and to His people. Still God wishes to save every man who will truly repent including the homosexual person whom He (and we by imitation of Him) loves.

The church must treat homosexuality just like any other sin, proclaiming the deleterious effect on society. We need to preach about sin a great deal more than we do, because people lack proper fear of God these days. God is not mocked!

If we put homosexuality in the same box as adultery and fornication we can preach against it everywhere. It violates the family which is the core of society. It is not the best that can be given to children and children should not be submitted to it or to any other unsavoury practice.

Remember that his immoral act existed in Biblical times and considered as one of the many sins and they were dealt with accordingly by God.

It is possible to have unconditional love for the person but still the act itself is a sin.

I have to be totally honest to say that it is very hard to accept the person while condemning the act but the Bible teaches us to love one another and because we are imperfect we have no right to judge one another.

Should the church be silent? No. The church should not be silent. We should go to the person(s) and go to the Bible and read the passages about sins and what happens when man lay down with man and woman lay down with woman. In discussing the matter with the person it should be done in a private meeting with the person and elders, overseers or minister.

Remember that his immoral act existed in Biblical times and considered as one of the many sins and they were dealt with accordingly by God.

It is possible to have unconditional love for the person but still the act itself is a sin.

I have to be totally honest to say that it is very hard to accept the person while condemning the act but the Bible teaches us to love one another and because we are imperfect we have no right to judge one another.

Should the church be silent? No. The church should not be silent. We should go to the person(s) and go to the Bible and read the passages about sins and what happens when man lay down with man and woman lay down with woman. In discussing the matter with the person it should be done in a private meeting with the person and elders, overseers or minister.

This is easy to say, but not very practical. Assuming that you're of a mind to speak to this, the situation where a homosexual acquaintance is a member of the same church that you belong to is probably uncommon. There won't be any church elders to help out: it's up to each individual to decide how to deal with the situation. None of us are any less "the church" than a minister or elder, so this makes perfect sense. And that takes us back to what you suggested in your first paragraph: love the person while you hate the behavior. It's not as difficult as all that on this or anything else for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day?

By knowing what scripture says about it. God condems homosexuality in both the old and new testaments. It is not an alternative lifestyle but an abomination against God. Someone isn't born gay. They consciously choose that lifestyle. I don't think God would of destroyed Sodom if the homosexuals in it had been born that way.

Is it really possible to be loving and passionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin?

Yes, I believe you can show love and compassion toward a gay person, yet condemn the sin of homosexuality. Jesus is our example in this. He didn't condemn the woman who had been caught in adultery. At the same time, He told her to 'go and sin no more.'

Should the church be silent about homosexuality?

Absolutely not! We don't need to go all fire and brimstone, but at the same time it is important for pastors and preachers to let their congregations know what the Bible says about homosexuality. God condemns it, it is an abomination to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also sinners, so we must have compassion on others, believers and non-believers alike and not judge lest we be judged. As God demonstrated His love for us sinners with His Son's blood, we must also have love for all. We can condemn sin but we too fail sometimes, for no one is perfect, we're all as filthy rags, so it's important that while we condemn sin we don't do it in a judgmental fashion but in a loving and compassionate way. We should act out the "I love you, but I hate what you are doing. If the church was silent it would then be condoning this abhorrent behavior and saying to God - we value what men think more than what You think, God. The church would then be subject to God's judgment. We should be saying what the bible says: God hates homosexuality and in no way is it acceptable. God also hates lying, stealing, etc. The church's responsibility is to lay out God's law and obey it being a model for the secular community to look up to. We should be saying it in our daily lives-everyone, the pastor and congregation. We should all live like lamps lighting up the darkness. which means living in total obedience and having compassion on those who don't because we too are subject to falling and temptation and judgment.

• 4 weeks later...