JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Laughter at Isaac's Birth

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

Q1. (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

She is full of joy because her arms are full of the son God had promised her! It just bubbles up our of her--as well as gratitude to her Lord who had so blessed her. Before, her laughter had been mocking that she could possibly have a child in her old age. :rolleyes:

Abramham's laughter was now joy. His beloved Sarah had borne him the promised son! It must have deepened his love and dependence on God, knowing now that surely He could be trusted to do what He promised!

God surely does have a sense of humor. Just looking at some of the animals and plants He has made shows us that--aardvarks, wildebeasts, playful seals and other such. And, above all, the things that He has revealed to me as I sometimes pray stupid prayers--and He answers them! Sometimes, I think I can hear Him laugh--not in derision, but in joyful enjoyment of the beings He has created! Especially, I think He joys in us when we get an "Ah-hah!" moment and understand something He has been trying to teach us! :wub:

Sarah's laughter earlier was kind of a derisive laughter because of the seemingly absurd thought that she could bear a child at such an advanced age. Now Sarah's laughter is a laughter of joy. It show's us God has a sense of humor. It's kind of like saying "See? Previously you laughed at me! Now you laugh because of me!"

1a.) (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17?

1a.) Laughter of celebration and thanksgiving and praise. I think their laughter before the promise being fulfilled in Isaac was a laugh of skepticism.

1b.) (21:5-7) What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

1b.) I don't know if you could say anything about God's sense of humor. I do believe that he loves to please us, as if we are a toddler standing before a Christmas tree with the anticipated excitement of opening the presents. The LORD speaks through Isaiah: "and his understanding no one can fathom.." (Isaiah 40:28c)

Sarah's laughter in Genesis 18:12-15 was of unbelief, she thought it was incredible that she would have a child in her old age. Abraham's laughter in Genesis 17:17 was a delightful laugh at the impossibility of a son for him in his old age.

Sarah's laughter now that Isaac is born is full of joy and realization that GOD keeps His promises. Isaac's birth was miraculous and his parents realized that and believed that GOD was with them and that He would always do what He said He would do.

. When Sarah received the promise, she laughed with distrust and doubt.

When God gives us mercies we begin to despair of, we ought to remember

with sorrow and shame our sinful distrust of His power and promise when we were in pursuit of them. Now it is with joy and wonder.

. Maybe in Abraham's case, this laughter of his may be toward himself as

he clearly was told that the child of promise would come, and now laughs

at his own efforts to concieve a child as per his own personal plan instead

of holding on to God's promise.

. God's favours to His covenant people are such as surpass their own thoughts and expectations.

Comparatively, Sarah's laughter is pure ecstacy and joy unspeakable. Previously she laughed derisively out of sheer unbelief but now she is laughing along with others at the promised son that was given to her.

God's sense of humor is practical in this case. He wanted Abraham to name his son Isaac (he laughs); the very name intended by God is a source of joy. God wanted the laughter of Abraham and Sarah to be practical. Derisive laughter turned into pure joy and thanksgiving. :D

Sarah's laughter now is pure joy, compared with the laughter of cynicism of before. Abraham's laugh also was unbelief beforehand. She was also embarrassed that the angel's knew her laughter, even though it was not outward, but in her heart.

God's sense of humour is deeply sweet, and is only about giving joy. My experience is that God has the most wonderful sense of humour, or sense of fun, which He loves to share among His children. Hi Dad, love you!

In chapter18, Sarah laughed because she was beyond childbearing years, and prior to that God had told Abraham that Sarah would be mother to many nations and that King's would come from her. Nothing is impossible for God, so never laugh when God tells you something that you think is impossible. God has a great sense of humor and loves it when we marvel and laugh at His doings.

I know I am behind on the lesson, and as I was trying to catch up, I was reading in my Bible instead of the text and saw that Chapter 22 has Abraham and Sarah moving away from the stinky area after the destruction of Sodem and Gomorrah. He told the local king they were bro and sis so God closed up the wombs of all the women until God revealed to the king in a dream that Sarah was a wife already. Claiming inocence before God having not touched her God also said I kept you from her because her husband is a prophet, then he released Sarah to her husband and offered anyplace they wanted to live with gifts and the LOrd opened all the wombs again so they bore children, as he did to Sarah as well. So, she had to be there with the grand womb reopening to Glorify God in the whole process. AB wasn't so aweful for the deception because it really did give glory to God in the process. Many were in fear and reverent then in this process. Surprise to me. this should be inculded back with the other discussions we had on Ab being chicken about other kings decieving them as being sister and bro, not married.

Sarah's laughter now is filled with joy and happiness.

Earlier it was the laughter of unbelief.

I think God wanted Sarah and Abraham to remember that they had doubted Him when He said they would have a son. Isaac's name is a reminder of that.

:D

The first laugh was due to unbelief ("yeah, right") the second was due to being overjoyed and probably unbelief mixed in ("I can't believe He did this!") God has a great sense of humor. I love that He does things no one would ever expect, i.e. walls of Jericho, tax money in fish's mouth..beware of the leaven of the Pharisees (knowing they didn't have bread)..just to name a few examples. Also, the Jewish people I have encountered all have a great sense of humor - it seems innate.

Sarah's laughter was from God, a joyous laughter. Before, she laughed because of lack of faith and unbelieving. God did not bestow laughter upon her before. Abraham's laughter before was because of disbelief of Sarah and his age. Now his laughter is of joy. God has a great sense of humor and its filled with joy and love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sarah previously laughed in disbelief but now laughs with joy. The same I believe with Abraham.

God's sense of humour always seems to border on the ironic to me, but it is also always gentle and with the promise of blessing when it is extended to his worshippers.

Sarah's laughter was rather different. When Abraham laughed at the idea that he would have a son in his old age it was because the idea seemed impossible. When Sarah laughed originally, there was some unbelief or cynicism about having a son in her old age. But the laugh when Isaac was born was pure joy, remarkable in its lack of bitterness over the childless years.

God's sense of humour comes from giving joy which produces laughter. It is very gentle, with a sweetness born of love. It exudes fun at no expense to the one who laughs. It is pure and holy.

Lesson 9 Q1

(a) Sarah's laughter now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17 is a laughter of surprise and joy. Both of their laughter before was unbelief that they could have a son in their old age.

(B) This tells me about God's sense of humor is anytime we think a situation is impossible, but in spite of it continue to obey, we will see God doing the impossible. I believe God's sense of humor is doing the impossible in spite of our doubts. Because of our doubt, worry, and fear we forfeit the peace we could have in God's wonderful promises to us. God never stops showing us He can do the impossible and we never stops doubting. That is humor!

• 7 months later...

The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

I sense Sarah may have laughed hoping to make a joke out of a painful part of her life in not being able to bear a child. We sometimes when we doubt God but want it so badly hinder our receiving the answer in a timely matter by making excuses why it has not happened.

Sarah now laughs with joy and maybe a little repentence at her doubt.

Abraham laughed due to the time in life that God choose to do this, he had seen God do all he had promised and beleived he could do this but maybe laughed at why now in their old age.

God's humor isn't a sense of humor like things are funny but humor that man that he created in his image is so far from the image he was created in and needs so much humoring on Gods part to get him to the point of the image of God.

• 4 weeks later...

Sarah laughed with joy and belief. This is the first time we see Sarah actually recognizing and crediting God for anything. When God heard her laugh before, her laugh was in unbelief. It has taken this miracle of giving Sarah a son to bring her to her belief. Aren't we all like that to some extent? We must see God working in our own lives before we accept Him on a personal level. Don't you just love God's sense of humor?! Most of us have had at least one punster friend in our lives where we learn to groan as soon as he opens his mouth and before he can make a play on words. It's fun here to see God as the Ultimate Punster in establishing Isaac's name. :P