JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God Offers His Only Son, Jesus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac helps me understand better Jesus' crucifixion in that it shows ultimate devotion and obedience to God. Abraham loved God more than any earthly stronghold, including his promised heir Isaac. God loved us so much that He sent His son Jesus to die for us to break our earthly strongholds.

God knew, when He asked Abraham to sacrifice his beloved son, the only son, that He would be doing that very thing because of His love for mankind. If mankind is to enter into the heart of God, we too must be willing to make sacrifice - whatever it takes to complete God's calling on our lives. We are to take up our cross and follow Jesus. King David would not make a sacrifice that had cost him nothing, even though the necessaries were offered to him. This would in no way give honour to His Name. Our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving must also be made of our substance. Words are only part of it. Our life is the other part of honouring Jesus and His Father.

Anyway, since God is the creator of all things, and makes everything work together for good to those who love Him, is not everything much better in His hands? As God put Abraham through this tough scenario so that we, later on, might understand God's gift of His Son, so must we not also be willing to let God achieve His purposes in our lives? There is great peace in this.

Q4. How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

The underlying principle in this episode is the love for God. Unless you love someone, you are not willing to sacrifice something for them. God loved us so much that He gave us His only son as a sacrifice for us. Abraham's love and obedience unto the Lord helps us understand this scene better. :rolleyes: Through Abraham's love for God, we also come to the faith that Abraham had in God. He positively knew that God would surely provide the sacrificial lamb. That's why he tells his servants WE will go there to worship and WE will come back. What positive frame of mind!!! God's plan for salvation is embedded in Jehova Jireh. What a great plan !!!

Q4. How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

Through understanding that the Old Testiment is a "Type" of the New Testiment.

How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

It helps us understand by teaching us the many lessons of faith, obedience, and the sacrifices of giving all of one's self in and because of love.

God calls us to give everything we have to Him -- and we must obey.

it all belongs to Him anyway; what we have is just on loan including our children.

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Where God requires of us, he also blesses us.

Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.[/i

When we trust him, God will provide for every need we have. He is "The Lord by God.

Matthew 6:25-34" Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? ...

God's love for us is so great, that he would sacrifice his only Son for our sins.

John 3:16:1"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

God wants us to trust Him with our most precious things

this to me is family and friends. And even the unsaved. It is about trusting Him to do what He said He would do and has always done

How can a parent kill his/her only son? I cannot imagine the horror of feeling you must do such a thing. And yet, Abraham, believing that if necessary God could resurrect his son, would to this in obedience to God's command! :o

This incident was a pre-figuring of the sacrifice of our Lord, God's only beloved Son, for our sins! If this would be abhorrent to a parent to do, how much worse for our Lord God to send His Son to earth to die for us--sinful creatures that we are! Yet He did this because this is the only way we could possibly be saved! That shows how much He loves us. Incredible! But a deed for which I am eternally grateful! Thank you Lord Jesus for being willing to do this for me--and all of your wayward children! :wub:

4.) How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

4a.) "CCS" had a great response. I am in a study of the book of Romans, and I have to share that this study has been a nice compliment to this study, since Abraham's faith is used as an example for the believers. Abraham shows complete and total faith in the promise of God by being willing to sacrifice his most precious son in total obedience. Lord Jesus, also showed complete obedience to His Father even during His time of deep emotional sorrow in Gethsemane before His arrest. Yet, the Father was willing to sacrifice His most precious Son for us. "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) Our God expresses his love for us, through the only way He can love: by "agape"- defined as "the deep constant 'love' and interest of a perfect Being towards entirely unworthy objects. Vine's Expository Dictionary

4.) How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

Personally I find great difficulty in comprehending how anyone can sacrifice their own flesh and blood in any cause.

I find it even more difficult to get my head around Jesus' sacrifice for me, but I rejoice that He did so, even though in my own unworthiness I don't 'deserve' it.

In all Christian Love JohnK-Cov

The near sacrifice of Abraham's son is a SHADOW of that which was to come.

As Abraham gave his best, God could do no less than offering His BEST, the

Lord Jesus Christ. Abraham knew that in Isaac nations would be blest, so

also in Jesus the whole world would be blessed . As the offering up of Isaac

pleased God as He seen Abraham's obedience, so also the offering of Jesus

Christ FULLY satisfied God the Father, in that it was full compensation for the

souls of men and women.

God used this incident on Mount Moriah to instruct the nation Israel. This event in the life of Abraham gave a much deeper understanding of the significance of sacrifice. They should perceive that sacrifice was substitutionary. But they should also perceive that ultimately a Son, an only Son, must come to pay the price for sin, which no animal can possibly do.

It is significant to me that God did not require Abraham to do anything that He Himself would not do. Abraham

Good answers everyone.

I want to apologize for bringing up that sad topic in my previous post on this question.

Edited by princesskitty

It took 40 years for God to bring Abraham to this place. Abraham now knew God's voice and his friendship with God was more important than his love for his long awaited and beloved son. It was an act of immediate obedience in that Abraham rose early in the morning so he must have had some time to anguish during the night at what he was being asked to do. In the same way Jesus was obedient to the cross knowing that this time the hand that slays would not be stayed but He would go through this to the end. His anguish was to the point of sweating blood. In the case of Abraham and Isaac God provided a ram and in the case of Jesus He provided for us eternal salvation by paying our sin price for us. None of deserve it but we have it because God sent His one and only begotten Son to redeem us.

God Bless you all!!

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

Abraham loved his son Isaac,yet he was willing to sacrifice Isaac because he loved God more and his faith in God was strong. He trusted in God's promise that Isaac would be his only heir and eventho he was asked to offer up Isaac as a sacrifice, Abraham felt confident that both he and Isaac would return from Mt. Moriah. Even so, it must have grieved Abraham to have to offer up Isaac as a burnt offering to God, even if he did have faith in God's promises.

God also loved His Son Jesus,but He also loved mankind enough that He was willing to sacrifice His Son Jesus upon the cross that we might be saved from our sins and eternal punishment in hell. Eventho God knew that Jesus would be resurrected from the dead, it still must have grieved Him to have to sacrifice His only Son because of the sins of mankind.

Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son for God to show him his obedience and faith. God sacrificed his only son in order that we could have everlasting life and to bring Satan to ruin.

• 2 weeks later...

We can identify more with Abraham's love for his son being human as he is and having children as he did. and that's a lot of love. However, where God is concerned, as His ways are higher than ours, His love is deeper than ours at an incomprehensible level. Jesus was the lamb caught in the thickets provided for by God on our behalf. We did nothing. The act was a free gift of love to anyone willing to accept it.

It helps us to better understand the sacrifice that God made when He gave His only Son to die on the Cross for us. Giving your child to be a sacrifice for others is the ultimate gift. How many people could do that? Abraham was ready to do just that, but how many of us would have been willing to go as far as Abraham did

• 3 months later...

Jesus was God's only Son, God considered Isaac, Jacob's only son, both were beloved. To me it is a picture of God allowing Jesus to be sacrificed on our behalf. It brings to impact that pain that the Heavenly Father felt in offering His only Son on our behalf and expresses His love for us.

Lesson 10 Q 4:

Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac helps me to understand better Jesus' Crucifixion by this story brings it to reality for me. Abraham, a mere man like ourselves is willing to sacrifice his only son, Isaac. I question my faith and wonder if I would go this far to take my only son, but that is what God did for us, took His only Son, Jesus (who knew no sin) and put Him on the cross to take away the sin of the world. What an awesome thing to do and Abraham's story brings Jesus' Crucifixion closer to home for me. Amen!

• 7 months later...

How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

The unconditional love Abraham had for God that caused him trust God so completely is only a small portion of the love God has for manking. God, The Word (who became Jesus in the flesh) and the spirit always were no beginning no end. It is impossible with our human minds to understand the love that God had when he sent the Word as His only begotton son to dies for our sins. We get upset when we give our kids everything and they don't seem to respect us or appreciate what we have done. How much more should God be upset with us and our lack of respect for His rules, lack of appreciation for what he has given us. We raise our kids and hopefully at 18 or soon thereafter we hope our teaching has helped them face the world. God is our heavenly father do we not think he feels the same way about us HIS CHILDREN.

• 1 month later...

Every time I read the story of Abraham's offering of Isaac, I cry...not for Abraham and Isaac, but for God's son who was the ultimate sacrifice to save my sorry soul. I can't remember how old I was, probably in my teens, before I read this scripture and connected it to John 3:16 which I had memorized earlier. From the word usage alone we hear God's prophetic voice. It's as though He is saying, "Remember how you feel about your son now so you will know how I feel as Mine is truly sacrificed." I especially lose it when Abraham tells Isaac that God will provide the lamb. All of us recognize from personal parent-child relationships that Abraham's mission was one that most of us would probably fail at. How far Abraham has come in his faith journey!! God grant that I, too, can make the journey of faith in all aspects of my life! Amen and amen.