JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Abraham's Rescue Mission

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham's military expedition shows a high degree of organisation, great loyalty to family (Lot was his only blood relative), and complete lack of fear here. In other places he had reason to fear, but here he did not. Therefore one might assume that he was a good judge of the strength of the other man.

He was not a man to be messed with and had an army to say so, not double minded - a decision was a decision, a clever strategist (his plan against the kings went smoothly and effectively).

With neighbours he was a most reasonable man - until they crossed him. Then they knew all about him, that he didn't put up with fools lightly.

We need to value family as highly as Abram, even to the point of putting life at risk. We should be well organised in our own lives, and be able to see clearly what we are up against - assess the risks. We need to be of one mind, decisive, and to have strategies to accomplish all we set out to do. We should not put up with foolish behaviour, even though we love our enemies.

Abraham's rescue of Lot reveals to us that he is a man of integrity. Even though Lot, of his own accord, took the best of the land (which was Abraham's first choice), Abraham valiantly set off with a small band of men to

rescue his kindsman , and put aside any petty grievances he might have had.

I also believe that Abraham knew that God would give him the victory, inasmuch as he was not going into battle in his own strenght.

Abraham must have set a good example of a neighbour, in that he gained

the favour of Mamre, Eshcol, and Aner to join him in pursuing after his nephew's captors and regain what was lost. And then he was sought by

the King of Sodom that he might reward him.

As Lot chose the choice piece of land , which through his greed brought

his enemies upon him, we also should be careful what we set our eyes upon,

as it may not be the best thing that God wants for us.There are those who would take advantage of us , but if we keep our eyes on the Lord , He will

see to our best.

Q2. (14:13-16) What does Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character?

To me it shows that Abraham was showing his faith in God more than he did in last week's lesson. It shows that even though Lot had chosen the fertile lands for himself, he was still family and Abraham carried no grudges against him in his time of need.

About his abilities?

Because of Abraham's faith, he had great abilities that God allowed him.

The surprise attack at night shows what great strategy he could come up with.

About the way he deals with neighbors?

Obviously Abraham had the respect of his neighbors.

What is here for us to emulate?

That we should always reach out to those in need, even those who have wronged us. That is where our true Christian spirit shows.

Q2. (14:13-16) What does Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character? About his abilities? About the way he deals with neighbors? What is here for us to emulate?

Abraham is resourceful, thoughtful, and able to lead when he remembers that God can and does lead. He planned a quick, successful raid that accomplished his purpose to rescue Lot. Also, we see him as faithful--even to one who was selfish enough to demand the best-looking land for himself.

Abraham has lived in peace with his neighbors--they even join with him to rescue Lot. But with neighbors who viciously attack and carry off innocents, he takes his army and brings them to account.

We should live in peace with our neighbors "insofar as that lies within our powers." We should also go to God to ask His will in all matters that come up in our lives. The text does not say that Abraham prayed about his move to rescue Lot. But, it shows his concern for his relative as well as his ability to draw together several other leaders to aid him. And, from other texts of Abraham's life, we see that he is learning to trust God and to pray for guidance.

Q2. (14:13-16) What does Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character? About his abilities? About the way he deals with neighbors? What is here for us to emulate?

As I do this study, I have found out some things about myself....misplaced anger, fear, and my disobedience in putting off on the putting off of the **** of the flesh in a certain area. I praise God for revealing these things to me, and repent that as I tried to understand what was causing me to be angry, that I first tried to blame this anger on Abraham & Sarah. I was not upset with them in the past, and I am not going to try to find fault in them now. I also am not going to try and emulating them, although in a sense I do. It is Jesus that I am to emulate. God didn't say "be ye perfect as Abraham is perfect", He said "be perfect as I am perfect". And that's what has been bugging me about this particular study. Focusing on somebody else. Hey, I appreciate history, but if I follow history, then I'm just going to end up back there yet again. I'm following Jesus. With & In Love With Jesus, Lisa Amen!

Now I love finding the hidden manna through out the whole Word of God, in all of the examples that God saw fit, through the lives of many, to reveal His Glory, and I appreciate the time and effort put into creating this study, I just wish it was focusing on God Himself. I mean if I have to try and focus on and be like somebody else, then please Give Me Jesus!!!

14:13-16) What does Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character?

That he was a man of strength, integrity and faith, a man that was able to rise above the situation and take control, becoming a victor. Also that family was important to him so much that he felt a loyalty to them to continue to care for them.

About his abilities?

He was blessed with inner strength in as well as being able to be prepared and to prepare others in the pursuit of war, he had wisdom and made good decisions

He was a fair man, thus his neighbors wanted to help him. Also, he did not **** over what others had but wanted to see restoration.

We are to be happy and content with what we have, and are to love our neighbors in as well our God. To treat others with respect and use wisdom to protect what God has given us and we are to want the best for all and not just ourselves.

God blesses good intentions when they are not selfish and when we step out in faith; He will always give us the means and will to get any job done if it is according to HIs will.

2a.) (14:13-16) What does Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character?

2a.) Family members looked out for each other and Abram was loyal to this custom.

2b.) (14:13-16) About his abilities?

2b.) He utilized his gifts as given with the tactics used.

2c.) (14:13-16) About the way he deals with neighbors?

2c.) He shows integrity and a lack of selfishness. Maybe he knows that if it is all about "ME"; he would not get anyone on board. Hm-m-m-m, maybe a lesson there for us :unsure: .

2d.) (14:13-16) What is here for us to emulate?

2d.) Perseverance, courage, integrity, honesty, faithfulness.

Shows that Abraham was organized in order to gather up his slaves to rescue his brother Lot. Also shows that Abraham had brotherly love for Lot. He used the skills that he was blessed with. Abraham loves his neighbors as he loves himself. We must emulate brotherly and sisterly love to our neighbors and help them to the best of our ability. We must treat others as we would want to be treated.

His military expedition tells us that Abraham cared for his family. Even though Lot was living separately, Abraham wasted no time in going to war against the Mesapotamian armies and rescuing Lot and his family from them. This shows that Abraham was confident of himself and his strength unlike the previous episode where he hid behind the skirt of his wife. He knew exactly where he stood regarding his people and his own army. He knew within himself that the Lord would certainly help him defeat his enemies.

He was well respected among his neighbors. That's why the neighbors readily agreed to go along with him to fight for him.

Well, the lessons in this portion is that we should take care of our families, come what may. Use the talents God gave us and put them to good use. If we do not use them, the talents will die a slow death and then they won't be useful for anyone. We should be on good terms with the neighborhood. Who knows at what time they might come in handy! God loved all of us. We in turn should exhibit that same characteristic towards our neighbors, well wishers and the community in general. We are to be ready always for service, putting aside our own welfare on the back burner.

Abraham showed that he had his priorities in order. Lot received the choicest land. In Chapter 13 it says that he went back to where he had built the altar and worshiped God. So he sought God before parting from Lot. He was God focused first.

When Lot got into trouble - Abraham was famly focused second. He had his priorities in order and showed that God was with him in the battle because of the success.

Abraham also showed humility in the victory by refusing riches offered to him he refused. Abraham also showed obedience to Melchezidek by giving the priest 1/10th and taking care of others even after Abraham refused the riches of the victory.

Abraham always showed he was God centered - loving God with all

his heart soul and mind (keeping covenant) and loving his neighbor.

We should emulate the integrity, honesty, humility and priority setting of Abraham. Loving God, loving neighbor -- being obedient

ABRAHAM KNEW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE GOD TOLD HIM. ABRAHAM WAS ALWAYS IN COMMUNE WITH GOD THROUGH PRAYER. IT WAS HIS DUTY TO RESCUE LOT BECAUSE HE WAS A BLOOD RELATIVE. ABRAHAM HAD AN ARMY ALREADY TRAINED TO PROVIDE MILITARY ASSISTANCE. HE KNEW TO ATTACK AT NIGHT AND TO DIVIDE HIS FORCES FOR ATTACK SO AS TO SCARE THE SOLDIERS INTO FLEEING. ABRAHAM ONLY WANTED WHAT WAS HIS THAT THEY SEIZED. HE WAS VERY CONVINCING TO HIS NEIGHBORS, HAD A TREATY OR AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE NATIONS TO PROTECT THE AREA SO THEY JOINED HIM.

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBORS AS IF THEY WERE FAMILY.

Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot tells us that he loved his family and that he was willing to do all that he could to help them. It also tells us that he was a wise warrior and that he was respected by his neighbors.

Like Abraham we should love our family members and do all that we can to rescue them when they are in danger.

Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character that he is loyal to his family. About his abilities that he is intelligent and a good leader. About the way he deals with neighbors that he is respectful and knowledgeable about them. Some lessons that are here for us to emulate are to be kind and know your neighbors, to help your family in whatever ways you can, and to be personally responsible.

Q#2= ABRAHAM SHOWS US ALOT ABOUT HIS CHARACTER IN RESCUE OF LOT. HE IS COURAGEOUS, BOLD,FAITHFILLED, DETERMINED AND DECISIVE. HE HAD ABILITIES TO MAKE GOOD THOUGHT OUT PLANS. GIVING OTHERS CLEAR DIRECTION. NOT ONLY HAVING FAITH IN GOD BUT THOSE AROUND HIM. HIS INTENT WAS NOT BRING DESTRUCTION ON THE OTHER ARMIES BUT TO RESCUE OR "SET FREE" HIS NEPHEW THAT HE LOVED AND WAS COMMITTED TO. AS WE SHOULD BE TO OUR FAMILY,FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS. IF THEY DO NOT KNOW THE LORD THEY ARE PRESENT DAY CAPTIVES AND NEED TO BE RESCUED BY THOSE OF US WHO HAVE THE COURAGE , BOLDNESS, DETERMINATION AND FAITH TO DO IT!

Abraham was duty bound to rescue his blood relative, but I think he would of attempted the rescue anyway because he cared for Lot. Abraham apparently got along well with his neighbors since they agreed to join him in the pusuit.

Q2. (14:13-16) What does Abraham's military expedition to rescue Lot from the Mesopotamian kings tell us about his character?

It shows us many things about Abraham, such as the fact that Abraham is willing to help friends in need, and as he has proven before, willing to follow the guidance he receives from God, no matter what it is.

About his abilities?

That his abilities are given to him by, and from, God

Abraham is very peaceful and caring for his neighbors, and this is why they were willling to help him rescue Lot.

Everything...that we should follow the guidance we receive from God, regardless of the situation, that we should be open to hear God's direction for us, that we should treat our neighbors as God has directed, help them when they need help.

Abraham was a man with a good heart loyal to his family and one that would fight to keep them safe. He was a good neighbor and they where willing to help him. His help came from the Lord more than man.God is always willing to help us and if we would listen as Abraham did we would be a lot better off in this life.

• 2 weeks later...

He was interested mainly in rescuing Lot, Lot's family and their belongings. He wasn't interested in killing (revenge) or taking more materials. The fact that the plan was well thought out, well executed, swift and successful indicates that Abraham was wise and most likely was aided by God. He dealt very fairly by taking only what belonged to Lot. He took back what was stolen and nothing more. Abraham could have killed the enemy and taken all of their possessions, but he didn't let his anger or his ego take control of him. We could learn to treat others as we would like to be treated.

• 4 weeks later...

These incidents shows Abraham,s character to be full of courage that came from God.Facing the Mesopotamian kings he attacked.His abilities was being prepared.He had taken time to train his men for such times as these knowing there would be times they would have to fight.Abraham new what would happen to Lot if he didnt go rescue him.He new Lot would face torture,slavery,or death.

Abraham formed his men and he attacked at night,recovered all the goods and brought back his relative Lot,the women and his other people.

We also should be willing to act immediately when others need our help. We must act with the courage that is given to us from God.