JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Angel Tells Hagar to Return

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah? Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

The Lord knows our whereabouts and wanderings. He asks Hagar to show that he cares for her personally and she should not be in a place where she is not supposed to be. He asks the question to emphasize Hagar's responsibility.

The angel sends Hagar back to Sarah to enable her to finish her responsiblities towards here mistress. Her duty is at her mistress's side. She should not neglect her job, however hard and difficult it is. Makes us wonder how we sometimes run away from our problems instead of facing them with the help of our Lord.

Yes, quite a few times. But the Lord is gracious and kind in rebuking me kindly and making me come back to His paths.

2a.) (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

2a.) To give her a chance to reflect, now that her emotions have cooled down and her reasoning may be more logical.

2b.) (16:7-9) Why does she send her back to Sarah?

2b.) That is where the LORD wanted Hagar.

2c.) (16:7-9) Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

2c.) Yes.

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah? Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

I believe the angel asked because of confession. It made Hagar stop and reflect to see where she was coming from - to do a self evaluation - - perhaps confession of any sin that may have been in her heart that could have added to the trauma of the situation.

God made Himself known to Hagar and now by sending her back to Sarah perhaps he is showing her His plan for her to bring her closer to Him. He is making her humble to realize that God's plans are not always our plans - there are consequences for doing things out of God's will. Although Sarah is the one that manipulated and tried to force a son for Abraham, Hagar was also a willing person in the process. There are consequences for disobedience and I believe God sent her back so she could repent and be restored back to her place with God.

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows?

To show her He knows her. He sees her real situation -- and cares for her.

("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

so she could examine her self, and her purpose

Why does he send her back to Sarah?

To fulfill her calling

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

Yes, but you can run but you can't hide; God finds you if He wants to use you.

I think we all have tried to get out of uncomfortable situations at one time or another in life. However, I have and still am learning that the only way out is through. If I run from a trail or test, I

The angel asks Hagar where she is going and where she has been so that

Hagar make take a proper assessment of her situation. Sometimes we are

in a place of blessedness with God and are not aware of it. Through trials

there is a tendenancy to run away from them instead of learning from them.

With Abraham, there was the presence of the true God, but fleeing back to

Egypt was to return to the old sinful life with its idols. This was made evident

when she received a visit from the Angel.(which some believe was Jesus).

v.10 I WILL MULTIPLY.....

The angel sends her back to Sarah because that is the rightful place for her

to be, in a home where God is head. After the visit from the angel , she has

more understanding of the dilemna created through the plan of Sarah. And

besides that , she now returns to the home of Abraham witha PROMISE from

God of being blessed-how can she do otherwise.

I would have to believe that probably more times than I know I walked in

the wrong direction through ignorance and disobedience and maybe through

a willful act to avoid the consequences of my actions.

((((Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows?

To show her He knows her. He sees her real situation -- and cares for her.

("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

so she could examine her self, and her purpose

To fulfill her calling))))<<<<This section is a copy of what "ccs" said. I apologize you all for taking that short cut. And actually everyone said what I would have. I usually post my answer first and then read the other posts, but so far this week I haven't. I don't know what it is, I'm just feeling kind of tired, but not sleepy.

I have reacted to many of situations and got out of em. I got out of them though because I don't think that's where God wanted me. I just can't see God wanting me to stay in an abusive situation, and although some were not directly abusive to me. God was being slandered and I just cannot tolerate that and won't stay near a group of people doing it or accepting it. If that makes Lisa all alone (with out another physical being hanging around me) then so be it. I would rather be alone, with God & His Angels then be around people trying to drag me down or worse yet saying anything bad about my Abba.

There are things God has placed on my heart to do, or rather my love for God propells me to do, and I did what I could to get the ball rolling, and it came to a stand still, so I am waiting and staying in His Word in the mean time. Although I haven't been reading my Bible to much lately. Hardly at all. But I do talk to Him daily & often daily. I think I'm at a resting point, because I Love the Word Of God & that's where I want to be - in God always.

God Bless You All & Thank You!!!

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

To establish communication and relationship, trust and understanding of her actions. We do not know that she acknowledged or understood who she was talking with at the time, but that an angel is who she was told to have spoken with in the recording of the story. She had been with Abraham and Sarah long enough to know what is going on, she may have understood the whole thing. She did not feel justified to endure Sarah's humiliation.

Why does she send her back to Sarah?

She needed to humble herself

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted yo

Most of us are out of God's will regularly because we have not trusted in our relationship with HIM. We do not learn to hear him speak to us, wanting smoking pots and flaming torches to make it more provable we have heard from, him rather than the quiet still and gentle voice he often prefers to use with us since he wants us to be near him, to seek him, to want to listen and to share as a father and HIS child.

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from and where are you going")?

The Lord asked Cain a question He already knew and I think He does it to get a response from us. We are either going to tell the truth or try to color the details or flatly deny are own part in the matter. God is looking for character in all of us and we don't move beyond that point until we face where we are where we have come from and where we are going? In the case of Cain Matthew Henry says " He asks him that He may draw a confession from his crime, for those who would be justified before God must accuse themselves, and the repentant will do so. In the case of Hagar he says her answer was honest and a fair confession.

Hagar was running away from a difficult situation that might have put her in more grave danger. Matthew Henry says here that God will meet those with mercy who are returning to their duty. Psalm 32:5.

Have you ever reacted and gotten yourself out of the place God wanted you?

Yes and the consequences have been terrible but mostly in feeling like I have let my Savior down.

God Bless,

Jen

Numbers 6: 24-26

To get her to articulate what she has done and to consider why she has done it. Also, to make her think of what the consequences of her actions will be.

The angel sends her back to Sarah because that is where the Lord wants her and she can only be protected from death by remaining there until she gives birth and her son is old enough to travel safely.

Yes I have. He has been gracious enough to turn me around and lead me back to where He wants me to be. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak can be applied to me as easily as to anyone else.

God wants us to acknowledge our situation and face it. There are time when we feel we have to run and sometime not knowing where. He sent her back to face the situation that she find herself in. In the midst of our discomfort, God has a plan for our life.

(i) the angel wanted to remind her who she was - Sarah's maid.

(ii) It is necessary for her to make the statement about what she is doing. It helps her define for herself what she is doing. Most of what God (angels etc) ask us to do is for our own good, not for His information! It is we that need to verbalise true statements.

The angel sends her back to Sarah because she is Sarah's maid until such time as Sarah cuts that cord.

Yes, I certainly have got myself out of the place of God's calling, and I hate the thought that ever I might slip like that again. It was a very severe lesson!

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

I think the angel asked Hagar these questions to possibly get her to say or admit her own situation. Sometimes when we stop long enough to evaluate things, we realize how hasty we've been. That would be very understandable in Hagar's situation.

To fulfill God's plan.

Yes I have. I'm reminded of one situation in particular and it took me forever to get back to where I needed to be.

To see if Hagar would tell the truth to God because the angel is his voice.

To have Hagar humble herself to Sarah.

Always tried to stay righteous and true but there's one time when my congregation was not totally righteous that I left and never went back nor went back to any other congregation because I felt that all were the same.

THE ANGEL OF THE LORD KNEW HAGAR AND HER SITUATION BUT WANTED TO SEE IF SHE WOULD ANSWER TRUTHFULLY. GOD HAD A DEVINE PURPOSE FOR HAGAR'S LIFE AND IT WAS TO GIVE ABRAHAM AN HEIR AT THAT TIME. SHE WAS SENT BACK BECAUSE SHE WAS OUT OF GOD'S WILL FOR HER LIFE. GOD CALLED HER TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR HER WANDERINGS. GOD'S PLAN FOR HAGAR WAS VERY DIFFERENT THAN SARAH'S FOR HER. HAGAR NEEDED TO HAVE THE FAITH OF ABRAHAM.

YES, BUT I SOON LEARNED WHOSE WAY WAS THE CORRECT WAY. HE WELCOMED ME BACK WITH OPEN ARMS TOO.. THANK YOU JESUS!!

I have found that sometimes we don't really KNOW something until we hear it, and then we realize we knew it all along. Case in point....I was in a longterm relationship with an alcoholic, who I loved dearly, but wasn't the man for me. The final straw was the night he asked the question "If you can't trust me or depend on me, then why are you with me?" I told him that was a question he probably shouldn't have asked. I already knew the answer. I guess I just needed to hear it. I think a lot of times God works like that with us. Hagar was so caught up in the heat of things she wasn't really thinking, just reacting, and needed to hear it spelled out.

The angel sent her back because it was the only place for her (God's place) and Hagar knew it.

Oh ya, I have gotten myself some kinda lost in the wild wilderness......Let's not be going there again, eh!

The angel asked Hagar the question so that she would realize what she was doing in that she was trying to make such a long journey across desert. She and the child probably would have not survived.

Hagar was sent back to Sarah because that is where GOD wanted her. He had a plan for her life as well as Ishmael's.

Yes, I have reacted an gotten myself out of the place GOD wanted me but He has never let me go.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

I think it is because the angel is trying to bring Hagar back to reality, and to show her that your problems won't go away by running from them.

To allow God's plan to be completed.

On more than one occasion. When God brought me back to where He wanted me, I was quickly reminded of how God has a perfect plan, and how God can use "the bad that we do" and turn it to good for the Glory of Him and His Church.

It must have been for Hagar's benefit because there's nothing new for God to learn. Hagar tells where she came from but does not say where she is going. For her to hear herself speak may have caused her to realize she did not have a plan. Hagar is sent back to submit. As pride is a downfall that can banish us from eternal life with God, God offers her the opportunity to get back into the flock by submitting. God wants all of us to learn submission to His will. It's our only way back into the flock.

Unfortunately, I have wandered far from the flock. Thank and praise God, he brought me back!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the angel asks Hagar what he already knows to show that the Lord is interested in Hagar as a person. It is obvious that she is on her way back to Egypt. By asking her where she is going, the angel isn't just asking about her present destination. He probably wants to know what her future plans are as well.

Hagar is sent back to Sarah because she needs to learn to have a humble and submissive spirit. If she would of been allowed to go back to Egypt,she would of gotten involved in idol worship again. By returning to Sarah, she would learn of the One True God and eventually become a believer herself.

As for myself, I have gotten out of the place God has wanted me more times than I can count. However, He is always gracious and willing to forgive when I finally come to my sense.