JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Hesitating in the Face of Danger

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (19:15-16) Why did Lot and his family hesitate? Have you ever hesitated when you should have been fleeing a danger? What is the lesson for us?

It is hard to totally understand why someone else does anything. But, apparently, they were afraid of the unknown future. Where would they go? Are these men/angels truly from God? How could they be sure? The prospective sons-in-law laughed at the idea, so maybe they are being conned. They had to be forceably removed in order to save their lives--what God had promised Abraham. :o

Have I ever hesitated from fleeing danger? I've never been truly in danger of my life nor anything of any great consequence. It's hard to know what I would do if God told me to leave somewhere, but I am confident, knowing Him, that He would bring me to know His Will forcefully enough that I would have no qualms in obeying Him. At least, I hope that is so. In the past, when I have obeyed Him to go or do something, I have looked back on that action full of wonder at what God has done through that obedience!

When we feel God's guidance, we need to stop and consider the action: is it Biblical? Is the way open for us to do what we feel He is asking? and finally, does doing this bring a sense of peace in the midst of turmoil when we decide to do it. If all three things are present, we must obey at once. :lol:

(19:15-16) Why did Lot and his family hesitate?

Denial of the real circumstances, comfort in the dysfunction, Fear of the unknown

Have you ever hesitated when you should have been fleeing a danger?

Yes, at times when I have doubted the intensity of the danger and have tried to look for the good instead and at times when temptation was great . . . it takes great faith and strength in the Lord to overcome these dangers.

What is the lesson for us?

Do not quench the Spirit . . .listen to the inner voice inside of us; is it of self, Satan or God.

Q2. (19:15-16) Why did Lot and his family hesitate? Have you ever hesitated when you should have been fleeing a danger? What is the lesson for us?

The "sons-in-law" hesitated because they didn't believe Lott - I guess they were okay with the way things were.

It sounds like Lott hesitated because maybe he gave up on the idea that people anywhere could be good, and that he & his family was accepted in this wicked place, and possibly not bothered with more than he could handle himself (I'm sure there is more to it - The covenant - The Promise). There must have been some pretty bad stories about whom ever lerked there in those hills. That could have been lies from that city's folk to scare the people into acceptance and eventually submission into being like them. What get's me here is that they ended up going to where the angels told them to in the first place. Oh the lessons we learn.

As for Lotts wife I don't know why she looked back. Maybe she couldn't resist upon all the noise and out of instinct turned to see the place that was just there home, destroyed. That's an excellent lesson. Yeah, don't look back. Leave the past behind! It also tells me to not have pity on or for the rebellious/wicked ones. Just get out. Don't blend in.

Yes I am guilty of hesitating to escape danger. Sometimes I just thought I had to stay to prove Love (where it wasn't appreciated or wanted and or even that It wasn't being saught after). Sometimes it had to do with my own self worth (in which I had none because of my own sin), and sometimes because I thought I could change somebody elses mind into not hurting me or their self or somebody else with the face of Love. That is until I couldn't take it any more and I became offended to the degree that I washed my hands of any further trying. Then I would feel guilty for not remembering God in the situations. (I do remember God, it's more like I thought I had to endure such grief). I thought I could do it, anything in Christ who strengthens me. And I can, but the problem was/is that I take it on myself, and you know what, I am not that strong. I have a hard time letting go of people when I know I should because of my own sin, because I feel "what gives me the right". Uggg, don't look back, leave the past in the past.

So the lesson is "Let Go & Let God"! Don't get to comfortable, for our residency here is temporary. Study to know The Will of God (God Will). But not study only, but obey. Oh Praise God for his abundant Mercy.

I just confirmed lessons I've learned, but fall back into as although I know what to do, it's just not that easy. God is Easy & His Yoke Light. I make it hard on myself. I'm not trying to you all. Hopefully I don't need to keep learning these types of lessons. There is so much here I would like to talk about, but this isn't the place to do it, so please forgive my vagueness.

I just read the post's before mine, and thanks you all for the insight and clarification in what I was trying to say. Yeah, do not quench the Spirit! Yeah, and is it Biblical, the Way open, & Peace prevalent in the knowing!

Edited by PressThrough

I don't know why they hesitated. The Bible does not say. We can speculate but I think it better to look at what the Bible does say. It says "the men took his hand, his wife's hand and the hands of his two dughters, the Lord being merciful to him". They were saved by the complete total mercy of God the same way we are saved.

To me the lesson is we live by faith and not by sight and by the complete total mercy of God.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6: 24-26

[/b]2a.)[/b] (19:15-16) Why did Lot and his family hesitate?

2a.) I think this is a normal human reaction. When we are comfortable with our surroundings, our house, we don't want to leave the security. I look at the miracle healings of Jesus. Each person had to take a step in faith before there was healing. Sometimes literally. Lot needed to do this even though they were dragged for a bit, no doubt kicking and screaming. B)

[/b]2b.)[/b] (19:15-16) Have you ever hesitated when you should have been fleeing a danger?

2b.) In my job, that sometimes is not an option, but I try to carefully evaluate. As far as sin, the story of Joseph comes to mind when Potiphar's wife tried to seduce him. He fled from the temptation. That is what we are to do.

[/b]2c.)[/b] (19:15-16) What is the lesson for us?

2c.) God has given us two legs. They can walk away from or run away from situations of temptation. Use them. :)

Unbelief, attachments, satisfaction with the life in Sodom, could all have been the reasons that Lot and his family hesitated. Too much of the world was in his life and that is a lesson for us today, not to let too much of the world in our lives. We are in the world but we should not be of the world, we are to be set apart. I am not saying that we should be totally separate from all unsaved, how else could we tell them of Jesus? Rather we should live so as to please the One Who redeemed us and not join in with the lifestyles of those around us.

Because of natural tendencies. No one would leave the security, comfort and familiarity of home sweet home. But in spite of the Angels' warnings, Lot lingers behind. Ultimately, the Angels had to literally drag these four people out of the city. :rolleyes:

Many times I have succumbed to temptations, instead of fleeing them. Looking back, I see the mercy of God in not destroying me but having compassion on me. I thank God for that. :)

The lesson is that we have to obey the Holy Spirit's directives in our lives. No matter how secure we feel in our sorroundings, once the orders are given, we have to march. There is no other alternative. :(

There could be any number of reasons why Lot hesitated. Lot in his carnal state may not have been fully convinced of the certainty and severity of the judgment. He may have hoped by his delay, to stall for time, in order to preserve friends and family knowing that judgment could not come until he had departed. Lot was so attached to this

Lot and his family hesitated because they vexed their souls from day to day

living in Sodom's wickedness and ungodliness. If one runs with those who

run with the devil , they will soon be overcome. The result of lingering would

most definitely be their ruin.

I'm sure I have hesitated when I should have been on my guard against the

enemy's advances in my life.

The lesson learned is the result of that hesitation, which can be very costly

to one's spiritual health and fellowship with the Father. As the scripture states, "Be sure that your sin will find you out".

Lot and his family hesitated because they did not know where they were going and what lied ahead for them. I have hesitated when I should have been fleeing a danger because I was afraid of the unknown. The lesson for us is that judgment is going to come into our lives and we have to be ready to deal with the consequences and have faith in God to get us through it.

I can't add anything to the why they hesitated, but as for lessons for us, well, we should all take heed of the Lord's mercy. We each may have been spared of being swept up in the judgement of the wicked because of another's righteousness, not our own.

Perhaps someone in this world was praying and interceding for us, just as Abraham did for Lot. It is obvious by he and his family's actions that their hearts were not turned toward God enough to overcome the trying of their flesh to leave, and would have been destroyed as well if it were not for God's promise to Abraham.

Because they thought it was a joke! They hesitated because of what they would be leaving behind. They were going too far from what they were use too, so they asked to stay in a smaller town closer, this way they could continue to sin.

We learn that when God speaks we should listen, no matter what. He always knows best.

I don't recall a time when I hesitated.

This had never happened to Lot before. In a way I guess he was taking time to absorb the whole thing. However, even this hesitation could have been the ruin of him if he decided not to folow through, so the angels took iti in hand literally. Human rationalisation does not often produce the truth. All it does is cover up for human desire.

Yes, I have hesitated when fleeing danger, and suffered a breakdown in consequence. I recommend that we follow the Lord's instuctions immediately if not sooner!

The lesson for us is have nothing that is more important to you than obedience to the Lord. Anything else will cause suffering which is far greater than the supposed costs of that obedience.

They did not want to leave their old life and did not have strong faith to believe everything would be alright.

Never hesitated from fleeing from danger because more afraid of the danger itself. Wanted to survive.

The lesson for us is to have faith (strong) because God is not going to lead us into any danger or harm. He would not show us or guide us to a better place if it would be dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Lot's wife may have hesitated because she probably grew up in Sodom and it was probably the only home she knew. As for Lot hestitating, he might of became comfortable with city life. Then there is fear of the unknown.

Fortunately, I have never been in a position where I have had to flee a danger. On the other hand, there are times I have given into a temptation, even when God provided an escape route for me.

The lesson for us is that it is important to be open to the Spirit of God.

When the Holy Spirit warns us of danger, it is wise to take heed.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps because, in part, they didn't believe judgment would happen. Perhaps because they were among it so long they became somewhat indifferent to it. Absolutely I've hesitated. I did so in part thinking I have victory over the temptation and my confidence deceived me. The lesson is to flee at even the littlest sign of danger. Don't let thoughts let you linger (we know their source).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They hesistated probably becuz of a natural response towards leaving a habitat. That should not be our attitude for we must realize as God's children our habitat is in heaven. This place and everything that comes with it are just temporal.

Yea, i have the feeling of longing to stay in my sinful self whenever temptation comes a-knocking. This leads me into sin once again and break my Saviour's heart. How i long for strength and divine interruption during those terrible times!

• 4 weeks later...

I think they hesitated because they felt safe with what they knew. They knew what they were dealing with even though it was evil. They had been there so long they trusted more it what they were familiar with and could see, touch and taste and had forgotten how to follow the Lord and had become insensitive to Him.

Yes, I have hesitated in fleeing from danger. I actually went back into an abusive situation because I knew better how to deal with that situation than the one I was in.

The lesson is stay close to our Lord. It doesn't take too long away from our daily walk with Him and the world seems less evil and less wrong and not so bad after all. Those of us you feel like we would never fall need to be careful. Peter said he would never deny the Lord. We are all vulnerable to error even when we are close to the Lord as Peter was. But thankfully He is merciful and sends us help when we need it.

The other lesson is to keep praying for the lost and interceding on their behalf like Abraham did for Lot as He does hear our prayers as we stand in the gap for others.

Lesson 8 Q2

(a) Lot and his family hesitated probably because of the unknown future. When Abraham gave Lot a choice to pick the land, it tells us Lot picked the well-watered land, the choice land, therefore he felt secure there ignoring the moral character of the inhabitants. It is hard to just pick up and leave a place that provides a comfortable life.

(B) I do not recall fleeing from a dangerous situation so far in my life. Praise God.

© The lesson for us is to know God's voice when He calls so we will leave wherever we are at in our life. We must be open to the Holy Spirit!

• 7 months later...

(19:15-16) Why did Lot and his family hesitate? Have you ever hesitated when you should have been fleeing a danger? What is the lesson for us?

Family ties are very strong but so are friendships and the ties to material things we collect here on earth. That is why we should lay up treasure in heaven all of us will face this decision at one time or another, maybe not on the level Lot did but there will come a time of decision if we put anything or anyone ahead of God.

Abraham gave Lot his choice of which land to take but Lot became big and important in his own eyes forgetting all his blessing was of God for Abrahams sake.

We should remember God has set a path before us and it goes forward no where to turn around to look back from where we came. That old person is dead why dig them up.

We all have started and then questioned if it was really Gods will, but if His Word backs up what you feel you need to do God will bless. If it glorifies God, the Lord or His kingdom then it is God for that is what we are here for. Satan is not going to help you do anything for God's kingdom.

• 1 month later...

Lot and his family evidently had a lot of clout in Sodom. After all, the angels had found Lot at the city gate where men of influence and politics stayed and took care of business. If we think back to the times in our spiritual life when we hesitated, it would probably be quite akin to that of Lot's family. We hesitate within our spiritual life when its growth is going to affect a secular life of ease. It's hard to say "Yes" to God when, in doing so, our physical situation will suffer. I always think of the story of Jesus and the "rich young ruler" who admired Jesus so much, but just could not make that final cut and give up all his material wealth to follow Jesus.