JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Lot's Wife

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (19:26) After nearly being delivered, why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping? What was in her heart? Have you ever struggled with this in your heart? What lesson does Jesus draw from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33?

She was probably dumbstruck at the sounds and light emanating from behind her and her curiosity (got the cat) got better of her. Or she might have wanted to have one last look at her old town. Its hard to forget one's roots, you see. Or she might have stopped to take a break from her running and casually looked behind to see what was happening, forgetting the Angel's warnings. Whatever, she lost the race by a whisker. :(

I have struggled many times with this kind of sin. Sins of the past ensnare you, making you drag your feet or rather go slow in the work of the Lord. This is a subtle temptation. We should never give in to this. The time available for us is short. If we don't make use of it judiciously, we will be accountable for our sins of commission. Jesus warns us not to look back and go back to our old habits, traits, and ways. Focus on the things above, not on the things of this earth. Let us heed Jesus' warnings and go forward, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. :D

Q3. (19:26) After nearly being delivered, why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping? What was in her heart? Have you ever struggled with this in your heart? What lesson does Jesus draw from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33?

Luk 17:30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Luk 17:31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

Luk 17:32 Remember Lot's wife.

Luk 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

Luk 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

Luk 17:35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Luk 17:36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Luk 17:37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

Eze 3:18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Eze 3:19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

Eze 3:20 Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Eze 3:21 Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous man, that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he is warned; also thou hast delivered thy soul.

3a.) (19:26) After nearly being delivered, why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping?

3a.) Like all of us, we sometimes reminisce of times past and wish for the 'good ole' days' I think Lot's wife's heart probably betrayed her before God. She did not want to change her ways that she had become accustomed to in the city. The ways that were leading to this judgement by the Almighty.

3b.) (19:26) What was in her heart?

3b.) Her old sinful ways; her reluctance to give up all.

3c.) (19:26) Have you ever struggled with this in your heart?

3c.) Yes. And I thank God for His patience with me. :(

3d.) (19:26) What lesson does Jesus draw from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33?

3d.) Have you completely given up your old life for the new life through Christ Jesus? I guess that is what we are doing in the process of sanctification.

She was surrendering to a wish that things had not changed--that she did not have to leave her old life and habits. Apparently, she left under compulsion of the angels, and regretted her losses. It's hard to get into her skin to her heart to know what was there. But, after being warned not to stop or look back, she must have been having a hard time to leave the known for the unknown tomorrows. Sad. :o

Have I struggled against leaving the known for the unknown? Not really. I have left the known life here in the USA for foreign mission fields in many far places of the earth. Sure, I knew this was temporary, for only a matter of years, but it still was leaving my family, my friends, my church and a known way of life for who knows what. But we learned there is no more blessed place to be than where God wants us! We always gained so much more than we gave up. :wub:

We must be ready and willing to go--without looking back or trying to "save" some "things" from our earthly life. What better place to be than with Him in eternity? :rolleyes:

After being nearly delivered, why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping?

It was the city of her birth, somewhere she has always known, her comfort zone, her life and the life of others whom she loved. Even though it was a sinful place maybe she just wasn't grounded enough in God and his ways to gain the strength she needed to totally obey.

What was in her heart?

Grief

Have you ever struggled with this in your heart?

Yes, as a woman it

Why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping?

I think Lot's wife sought to look at "what was" one last time. She was leaving all she knew, all she had and all she was accustomed to. That is change my friends. As a retired military man I know of this feeling. When you are uprooted and you must go at times your soul asks why? You stop and consider what you have and are being told to leave. It is not easy but there is no room for disobedience. Disobedience presents a resistance to the command. In Lot's wife case, this presented a large problem. Consider the following:

Gen 19:17 And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.

Gen 19:26 But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.

Lot's wife was instantaneously struck dead and petrified, and remained as a visible monument of divine displeasure. Consider the following:

Luke 17:31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

Luke 17:32 Remember Lot's wife.

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

These verses say a lot. Lot's wife disobeyed and looked on what she had verses what she was given. We cannot do this and find favor.

What was in her heart?

I think nothing more than love for what was. I think a strong sense of the loss of something valued. I cannot say how her thoughts affected her emotionally; what I do know is the actions that they brought out were not favorable and she was punished.

Yes, many times before. My punishment was not as severe as Lot's wife received, yet it certainly brought about change in me. I now look to God for all and seek to obey Him daily. I accomplish that minute by minute, it is difficult but possible through Him.

What lesson does Jesus draw from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33?

I think verse 33 sums it up precisely.

Luke 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

I said earlier that Lot's wife looked at

Lot's wife stopped and gazed at Sodom rather than escaping, I believe, because her heart was in Sodom. She didn't want to leave because she loved Sodom. It could be that she really didn't believe what the angels told them would happen.

Jesus was telling us in Luke 17: 31-33 that we should not be so attached to the things of this life that we would not want to leave them.

After nearly being delivered why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather that escaping. What was in her heart? Have you ever struggled with this in your heart? What lessons does Jesus draw from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33.

Perhaps Lot's wife was reluctant to leave her home and her life. Perhaps she was thinking about friends and was wondering what was happening to them. Don't we always want to know the details of what is happening. Her heart was looking back and not ahead to something better. Her heart was not right with the Lord.

I have something I am struggling with. Its not that it is wrong in and of itself but if it takes your eyes off Jesus than I think it is wrong.

J Vernon McGee says "She didn't believe God would destroy that city. Therefore we are to remember Lot's wife. To believe God is the important thing for us."

Matthew Henry says"Do not be unwilling to leave a place marked for destruction. Let them not look back lest they be tempted to go back. "

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Lot's wife stopped and looked back because as the bible states, "Where

your heart is , there will be your treasure also". I believe that the desires

of her heart were upon the materialism of that city, where also she probably

became friends with the ungodly neighbours around her, and rather win them for God, they drew her away from her FIRST LOVE.

I believe we all look back on occasion to our past , but careful assessment of

the things we previously indulged in, makes us realize the goodness and grace of God that caused us to escape the wrath to come.

The lesson, I believe, Jesus drew from Luke 17, is HE THAT LOVETH HIS LIFE

IN THIS WORLD SHALL LOSE IT. This world is only a temporal place of abode

until we are called to the New Jerusalem, where we shall ever be in the presence of the Lord.

After nearly being delivered, Lot's wife stopped and gazed rather than focused on escaping to soak in final moments of her life in that city. Her heart may have had many things going through it, except for the reverence and obedience to God. I have struggled and continue to struggle with this in my heart. The lesson Jesus draws from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33 is that if we hold to earthly things we will persih along with them; however, if we obey and trust in the Lord, we will endure forever.

I think a lot of it had to do with her identity. Everything she knew, who she was, was behind her. Now, who would she be in whatever new place they were going? Would she be happy? Did she really want to play the role of a refugee? How would the people treat them, now that they had nothing but the clothes on their backs?

We are born again in the Lord, made into something new, a new creation. Sometimes it's hard to know what that is, our new identity in the Lord. When you are a child, we all have this idea of what life will be like and who we would like to be. Then Jesus comes and makes us something new, something we never had any inkling of, and sometimes it's just hard to let go of the old self and old habits, when the life your sin created still exists all around you, and you don't know where you are going, just that's it's forward and out of Sodom. It's hard to not look back when the sound of it is all around you!

Personally, I think there is the salvation of your soul which comes first, then the salvation of your life, which comes second, when you follow the Lord as He leads you. Maybe there is a definate time for deliverance, and if we don't follow right then, and look back, then.......remember Lot's wife.

Her heart was still in Sodom. She was looking at material things that she was leaving behind and the pleasures that clung to her heart. Unbelief was in her heart.

If you are attached to the corruption of this world, you will not be spared from God's Wrath and the destruction that will come upon the ungodly.

Jesus wants us to get our hearts on heavenly things not earthly so when the time is right we won't be looking back at earthly things-- we will be looking for Jesus' return and heavenly things.

Lot and his wife had been removed from Sodom by the angels. Lot's wife may have been born and lived all her life there. She had not the contact with Abraham that Lot had, and certainly had never had the faith (knowledge of God) that Lot had. Possibly she didn't understand anything except that all she ever knew and was familiar with and had was being lost to her, so she turned around and longed for it. There was not the fear of God, only the assurance of worldly things which is no assurance at all.

I have been trapped into fulfilling worldly desires rather than operating faith. It cost me.

Jesus is talking about the last days, saying that we need to be sharp and aware at the time that Jesus comes for us. We need to respond immediately to His call, not with any ifs, buts or wait tills. These will cost us more than we are prepared to pay. CF the virgins with their oil lamps preparing for the bridegroom, we have to be ready and waiting to go. There won't be any second chances on that day.

She was use to her homelife and did not want to leave. Because of her lack of faith and disobedience she turned to a pillar of salt because she looked back.

She felt dispair, loneliness and fear in her heart.

Struggled iwth loneliness and fear within my own heart.

The lesson is that whatever you lose in material things you will gain spiritually

• 2 weeks later...

I think Lot's wife could hardly believe she was leaving the city she had spent her whole life in. She probably couldn't believe it was actually going to be destroyed. She may have looked back to see if Sodom was still there.

Plus she probably couldn't let go of her past. It's interesting that the Bible never mentions her name. She is simply known as Lot's wife. God knew what her name was, but obviously He felt that we didn't need to know.

The lesson that Jesus draws from Lot's wife is that He can come back at anytime and we need to be ready to meet Him.

When Christ returns for His own, will we meet Him in the air, our eyes only for Him?

Or will we look back at the people, places, and possessions we are leaving behind on earth with reluctance?

Her heart was still in Sodom. Where your heart is there your treasure will also be. There are some sins in my past that I haven't totally let go of. It is quite the struggle but I know that God is transforming me. I also have the responsibility of desiring (willing) to let it go, making God my ultimate priority so He can use me. I think Jesus is saying that we must be willing to follow the Lord's commands. If we are not willing and are rebellious, we must suffer the consequences which ultimately leads to death if we keep quenching the Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (19:26) After nearly being delivered, why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping?

Maybe she just wanted one more look at her past life. She was having a hard time letting go.

What was in her heart?

She was finding it hard to leave her life behind.

Yes, I have found it hard sometimes to leave the past behind me. I kept

• 1 month later...

Q3. (19:26) After nearly being delivered, why did Lot's wife stop and gaze rather than escaping? What was in her heart?

Can't really tell. There are thousand and one reasons.

Indeed. As a sinner saved from the murky depths it is a wonder why one would drift back..but i do. But thank God for His limitless mercies and his love which is new every morning

What lesson does Jesus draw from Lot's wife in Luke 17:31-33?

We have to stop playing the fool with God...for there will be a time when all Christians will be in Lot's wife's shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe she couldn't quite believe what was happening and it was hard for her to leave her life of knowing what life was, what to expect, what was comfortable. I have struggled with this, it is hard to leave our comfort zones sometimes. The point made about keeping your life and using it is not something I had applied to this situation I am glad it was made as it added a dimension to Lot's wife looking back that I hadn't considered. She was trying to keep her life as she knew it and as a result lost her life. What a good point. What a blessing these lessons are to me.