JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blaming God

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

People blame God for the evil because of immaturity. They think that through evil God is trying to test them. The fact is that it is the self-will that causes all the problems. We decide to take chances in our walk of life and end up the victims. Not because of God but because of our own will that we fall into temptations. Tempations come from the evil one. God doesn't tempt us. But he allows us to be tempted to see how far we can trust ourselves to His care.

Satan will have to meet his end some day. Till that day God allows him to do his thing in this world. But along with that, God gives us grace and faith to trust Him to lead us through all that evil and come out victorious.

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

It seems that it's easier to blame someone else rather than ourself and God is the easiest to blame for everything. No, God does not tempt us with evil. The reason that He allows us to sin is because He gave us freewill to be able to love Him and with that same freewill we can do wrong too. When He created all of this, us, there was no evil but when people fell from grace with that wonderful apple then evil was let in. That was not God's fault but, praise God He had a plan to get us back in His grace through Jesus Christ.

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

Well, most people blame God because they need to blame someone and because God is supposed to be all powerful and almighty and when He doesn't prevent evil then they blame Him. People blame God for evil because they are ignorant of His character and of His Word. Unbelievers blame God because they are ignorant of His goodness and His love and do not know Him.

God does not tempt us with evil but allows it for our growth and dependence on him.

God tempts no one with evil. We are sinful because we are evil and have this sin nature within.

God allows people to sin because He allows us "choice." It has to do with being free persons and not robots.

Someday evil will not exist but until that time God can even use evil for our good!

When studying this, the word "trust" comes to mind for me. I will trust in the Lord at all times! :)

One reason people blame God for evil is because they think that God should make and keep the world safe and without any pain or tragedy!

Does God tempt us with evil? No. Does He tempt sinful people with evil? No. He allows everyone to make a choice to follow Him or to reject Him; to do evil or to refrain from doing evil. It's called free will.

Why does He allow people to sin? Free will. God did not make us robots--He made us intelligent beings with a mind and a will--and He allows us to use that will--

Why does He allow evil to exist? To test us.

I'm not sure people blame God for evil so much as people blame God for allowing evil things to happen...particularly on a scale where there is no logical answer (the Holocaust, death of a small child etc.)

I really appreciate the clear direction that James has stated in this chapter in that we cause ourselves to be tempted which is a foothold to sin. God is the provider of all things that are good and he has no variableness. God allows evil to exist because 1) he allowed all authority in this earth to Adam who handed it to Satan which introduced evil. Thank God that he had a plan for all of us through the final sacrifice of his son for our sins so we could find a way back to him (we win!!!! yeah!!!). and 2) God has given us the gift of free will which means that we have a CHOICE to make, either for life or death; good or evil. God wants us as a part of his family and not as slaves. We must make up our own minds.

They blame God because they don't know/understand Him. God doesn't tempt us. His word says so. His word is truth. If I don't believe that, I'm calling Him a liar. We sin due to our own imperfections (ungodly desires/fears). God allows us to suffer the consequences of our choices so we may learn from them. Our free will is exercised when we have a choice. If evil didn't exist, we would have no other choice but to do good. God doesn't want robots. He designed us to think for ourselves and hopefully choose Him. He doesn't want anyone to perish. Sometimes He needs to bring us to our knees through trials, natural disasters, etc. in order that we grope for Him and FIND HIM and repent. Ultimately this is for our benefit as we gain ETERNAL LIFE with our Father who loves us and is LOVE and also to help others gain eternal life by spreading His Love (His Word).

I think God allows evil to exist to give us a choice. If there was no evil then to worship God would be like a programed responce. He wants us to whorship him with desire that is borned deep in our hearts. When we see how destructive sin is our love for God is taken to a deep leveal of love. If you want to grow closer to God ask him to show you what hell is like

With out Jesus in our lives we would just be dead men walking around on our way to hell

People blame God because they do not truly know Him, and sure don't want to blame themselves! God never tempts us! Everything He does is good! So why is there evil in the world? Because satan defied God and was thrown down. Adam and Eve accepted satan's word and brought evil into mankind. Satan continually tempts people to sin by his lies. But he is defeated by Jesus' sacrifice. We have but to turn to Jesus for help and He will cause satan to flee from us!

So why does God allow evil to continue to be? Because He made us free agents--not robots who cannot choose. He does not want us to serve Him because we MUST! He wants us to choose to love Him because we see what He has done for us and we fall down in worshipful praise of Him! He does not "allow" us to sin, rather He gives us the choice, then helps us resist this evil when we turn to Him for that help!

Why allow evil to exist at all? So, if there were no evil--which is to defy God in any way--then there would be no choice! Sometimes, I wish He did not have such a good opinion of my ability to resist! :o

Actually, He knows I have no ability to resist, and is ready to bolster me up at the slightest sign that I make that I need His help!! :wub:

Maybe people blame God for evil because they don't want to see the evil within themselves. Or it's just easier to balme God who they don't know. If they knew Him they wouldn't blame Him. God NEVER tempts either believers or unbelievers with evil. Sin and evil exist because we live in a fallen world. We have freewill to choose to follow Satan or God. God wants all of us to choose Him, but allows Satan to prowl for now. Jesus has already defeated Satan and we have the freewill to choose Him over Satan. We must face trials and temptations in this world.

Someone once said mentioned to me that it shouldn't be called "falling into sin." In reality, we JUMP into sin, because our own evil desires lead us there.

God does not tempt to evil, but he allows us to be tempted. And He may send tests designed to refine our faith.

James is not about a conflict or controversy between justification by faith or justification by works, as Angus said in his introduction. It is about the fact that untested faith, faith out of which no good work grows, is not the deep, real faith we should have. It is about the fact that once we get a handle on what God has done for us, good works will spring from that.

And we might try harder, and find more success, in fighting sin when we stop trying to blame God for tempting us and remember that our own evil desires lead us away.

Sue

In our society, everyone has someone else to blame for their problems. Nothing is ever anyones fault or responsibility. Blaming God is just more of the same. People do not understand God and they need a scapegoat.

It is against the very nature of God to "tempt" anyone.

He "allows" us to sin so that because he has given us free choice. We have the ability to make good choices or bad. And when we make bad choices God expects us to learn from it.

Why does he allow evil to exist at all ? I honestly don't know. Evil has existed for all time. I think perhaps we will see what a mess we have made of things and repent. I don't know how He looks at the cesspool we have made of life and still forgive us. What a wonderful Savior.

susan

One thing that occured to me concerning the first part of the question is this: all my life I've heard that "God is sovereign", "God is on His throne" and "God is in ultimate control".

Without deeper study why wouldn't anyone believe that ALL things are from God?

Maybe someone with understanding can approach the above question.

(first time of posting and I don't have a clue of how to do this) 8-)

Wow...there were a lot of deep questions in there. I guess I'll try to answer them for myself in the order they came. I love reading your thoughts so here are a few of my own.

Why do people blame God for evil?

Well, I think most people through faith believe God is responsible for everything that happens in their lives; which to a certain degree is right. I don't believe anything touches my life that God does not allow. At the same time, do I believe a perfect God created evil or had a hand in causing evil in my life just to purify me, no. We must recognize that the root of sin lies in oneself, and does not come from the Father although He may very well use what Satan wishes for evil for His own purposes and ultimately our own good. Verses 14 and 15 really sum up how sin enters in and that is "by his own evil desire."

Does God tempt us with evil?

No, but God doesn't make us puppets. What I mean is that God in His sovereignty has chosen to give us freedom...that freedom can lead us into sin or it can lead us right into His loving arms. Wherever we want or choose to go. If God wanted robots, He could have made us as such and then we would never deal with evil because we'd have preprogrammed responses to all things and would always make the right choice, but at the same time, would we ever be able to show Him love...can there be a true love without it being given by choice. If love were preprogrammed, it seems like it would be somewhat empty. Imagine, your wives, husbands, children, or parents only loving you because they have too...would it be the same...I don't think so. Because of the freedom He has chosen to give, we steer ourselves oft-times towards temptation and sin. Ultimately, He is always there to save us from our temptations if we allow Him and He enables Christians to make wise choices if they seek Him first and not the world, or sin.

Does he tempt sinful people with evil?

No...again, self(ish)-will does that by itself...not God.

Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

Truly, I don't know. I know that through our sin, ultimately we find Him or maybe better said, we find our need for Him. I also know that through choice, we are able to show real love. When we obey, we show our love and obedience for Him, and when we disobey, He shows His love for us by forgiving and leading us back to His fold. Why God wants or desires sinful man is a mystery to me, but I love Him for it...because He first loved me. If God chose to remove sin and choice from the world and people, He changes the very nature of people into something I don't think any of us would even be able to recognize as human...what makes us unique is that choice or nature He has enabled us to have.

The question comes down to "does God by allowing temptation in our lives make Him the creator of evil?"

Look deeper at that question...what would God have to do to keep temptation from our hearts and minds? Wouldn't He basically have to remove us from this world we live in today? Everywhere we look there it is. For each of us the temptation is different. By allowing free will and choice, or "true love (see notes above)" to exist, God also allows sin to exist in that people have the choice to either obey or not. I say thank God that He chose to have a real relationship with me by allowing me each day to make choices whether I will or will not follow Him and therefore come closer to Him or run from Him...and even when I run away, He chooses to follow me like that lost 100th sheep of the flock...I'm that important to Him and so are you.

In Him,

Travis <><

p.s.

Here are my thoughts on Miss Dee's question "why wouldn't anyone believe that ALL things are from God?

"

I think this really depends on perspective. All things were created by God...all things including Satan, all things including sinful man, etc. His creation then went on to "create" sin. God simply did not and could not create sin as He is a perfect God unwilling and truly unable by His very nature to be sinful and therefore, to create sin. So yes, I guess, in a very broad sense, God created sin in that He created the people and beings which long for it and are such a major part of it. But on the other hand and in my mind a more true sense, I would say God did not create sin from the perspective that He simply could not. He may have allowed it to exist for whatever reason, but by no means did He create it. I'd love to hear others $.02 on that as that is just my own.

2a.) (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

2a.) As some of you said, people do not know the true nature and character of God. Their belief is that if he is omniscient, omnipotent, God would not allow evil. If that was the case, then he would have a bunch of little robots following Him. God wants a passionate relationship with those who love Him because we choose to.

2b.) (1:13-15) Does God tempt us with evil?

2b.) No. But as we addressed in the first question; we are subjected to trials to strengthen our faith and reliance in our "ABBA" Father.

2c.) (1:13-15) Does he tempt sinful people with evil?

2c.) No. "For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exhanged the glory of immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles." Romans 1:21-23

2d.) (1:13-15) Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

2d.) It is the consequence of giving us free-will. Choice. Choice to love and worship the Almighty God, or choice to worship our own little gods.

I believe that God is an easy target for blame when we don't take responsibility for our actions.

Why does He tempt us with evil?

He doesn't tempt us, but He allows the temptations.

Does He tempt sinful people with evil?

We are all sinful people, so yes.

Why does He allow evil to exist at all?

Free will is a powerful tool. Our freedom of choice in living good or evil is the true test of our walk with God. Our decisions allow evil.

Dianne

I think that most people attempt to transfer what is not easily explanable to something/someone else. We tend to view the unexplainable and say, "why." One thing I have found interesting is, whenever people see or hear about some catastrophic event, (i.e., the recent Tsunami) they all speak to God unconsciously, even atheists do this. Most people turn to God immediately when faced with something unexplainable, bad, evil or henoius.

If they would but read their bible they would know they are in error.

(KJV) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17.

I beleive God allows trials so we can learn from them and draw closer to Him. If you doubt this train of thought I urge you to read Job.

Does he tempt sinful people with evil?

I believe God himself was tempted with evil and He overcame evil, for all of us. I do not believe he tempts us with evil. Many verses back that thought up.

Why does he allow people to sin?

I believe we choose to sin, because sin satisfies us in many instances. The funny part to me is when we suffer due to our sin, somehow we expect sympathy then. That amazes me. I share this not from a sarcastic view, but one from experience.

Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

I believe evil exists because of Satan and us. We choose evil, we know what we choose is bad, yet we do it. The unexplainable is exactly that. Yet, I know deep in my heart that those unexplainable things allow God to be glorified. They afford us a time to do good, a time to unit, a tiime to rise above our own selfish ambitions. I realize this may not be a viewpoint that many may identify with, yet I ask you to think about it. If you wish to speak with me, please feel free to email me.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:4

I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Joh 16:12

Jose

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

They don

I must say this takes me back to a time in my life when the devil had control of my life. This evil influence had complete (at least I thought) control of my mind. He had me believing God was bad because of all the evil in my life and the world.

Thank God for His long suffering....

A. Why do people blame God for evil?

People blame God because they don't see their own evil. So when

something disrupts their lives, they blame God.

B. God cannot tempt man in evil. Tempting man with evil is not

in God's nature.

C. No, God cannot and does not tempt sinful people with evil.

D. God in his loving nature has given man free choice. God allows

people to sin because He is longsuffering. It isn't His "will that

any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

E. This again, I believe the Bible gives the best answer; II Peter 3:9;

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count

slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any

should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (KJV).

So that brings us to this; God loves us and wants us to come to

Him for deliverance from sin.

I believe that most people believe that God is in control of this world system

and therefore He is responsible for all that happens to us. Jesus called satan

the PRINCE OF THE POWER OF THE AIR. People fail to realize that satan is

in control of all evil and he has multi numbers of fallen angels at his disposal

to do his biding and wreck havoc in this earth.

'God does not tempt us or any man with evil. We are tempted when we are

drawn away by our own ****; we make the choice to do wrong.

God allows people to sin, because that's a CHOICE that He has given to every man.There are consequences for our choices, which will defeat us or

bring us to maturity. If we were not conscious of sin, then why would we turn

to God for deliverance and salvation?

Evil is allowed to exist because man has to make a choice to follow evil or to

follow the paths of righteousness, which we are not prone to do. To resist

evil with God' help, is one way to show God, that His will is best for us.

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

This answer hurts. People blame God, I believe, because if they can find anything else to "point the finger" other than their own actions then they don't have to deal with their own shortcomings. (PRIDE)

No!!!! All temptation is from the Enemy.

Never, it would be contradicting. God has spent much energy trying to save us. As a parent would you ever encourage your child to fail??? No way. Jesus is the physician not the torturer.

Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

In Genesis God clearley gave man dominion over all the earth(Gen 1:26)...... free will. If God took it back it would mean He lied which is immpossible, God can not lie (Titus 1:2). Adam was told to subdue it- the earth (Gen 1:28), bottom line Adam was disobediant and did not subdue it. I guess you could say Adam was an enabler..... Ha ha. There is nothing new!!!!

Man gave evil the power to grow into what it is now. God rebuked the proud angel (Devil) basically by casting him out of Heaven. So God did not allow it, man encouraged it.