JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

We are responsible to the poor and needy as far as God enables us to help them. When I say "enables" I mean that in the truest sense of the word, in that it does not just mean to the extent that we "feel" like doing something. There is only so much any of us can do, so we should do all we can and leave the rest to God, continuing to pray for His provision for the poor, then help out again when He enables us to do so. Once in church when we were taking up a special missionary offering, our pastor made it very clear that this was to be above our normal giving. As he so clearly put it, "If we can't keep the lights on here, we can't continue to do for others."

How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

There is a song that says, "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one anyday." I believe that when we reach out to those outside the church, and they see our outpouring of love by DOING instead of yapping about it, that is a great example and testimony of our faith. Jesus said, "When you have done it to the least one of these my bretheren, you have done it also to me".

:rolleyes:

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

We are responsible for our brothers. We are responsible for loving our neighbour. Jesus did not add ...'so long as he's Jewish' in this condition. God will reward us for our obedience to the love command. I have to work on this from time to time myself; I need to remember that regardless, we need to love these people and care as much as we can. The other thought I had tonight was, do we realize how many people we could have helped to their destiny in God's work if only we had given them food or clothes or inspiration to move out of the poverty and neediness. It take our acts of charity out of the level of being just kind and into an active level enabling others to grow and develop in God and perform their destiny (potentially).

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

I think that we are responsible for helping the poor and needy. I know for myself that I don't do nearly enough. I live in a very small town so I don't see a lot of poor people but I try to give when I hear of a problem and not just in the church community. I don't think that it's all about the 'church community'. He said to love, He didn't specify only church people.

If it is within our ability to help someone we must do so. This is love. Christ demonstrated selflessness and told us to "Love our neighbor as ourself" and we are to model Him. We are responsbile to help everyone within our ability no matter who they are, as God made everyone and wishes that no one should perish. If we truly fullfill the first commandment to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, body and strength, we will want to do what He desires. It is His desire that we should love EVERYONE.

To what degree? To the extent God enables us. This is above what we give to the needy across the street. But in giving, we have to be good stewards. We have a responsibility to discern the truly poor and cater to their needs. Every gift is from God and we have to give as God desires us to give. Some poor people in the church may not appreciate being helped because they are poor. It affects their ego. We should be subtle enough for them not to feel embarassed at thier poverty.

The same principle applies for the poor in the general catergory. If we have the resources and can cater to their needs, we certainly should do so. Not in order to be noticed or rewarded but with a heart of compassion, a true love of Christ emanting from us.

We must take care of the poor and needy in our church community,

ensuring that their daily basic needs are look into.

That then is true religion.

To put it simply, outside of our church community is not our responsibility.

BUT if we have the means, we can serve them in their needs as witnesses for Christ. Perhaps through our good deeds, some may even

be saved.

As the saying goes, sometimes we have to "Meet the need (physical),

then meet the real need (spiritual)" .

This passage speaks of the responsibility for the brothers and sisters in Christ. Of course, we must be aware of these in need in our own "household" of sisters and brothers! We do not always know of others' needs, but if we do hear of a need, we should feel a surge of God's concern for them and know He is prompting us to see how we can help. :wub:

If we show no concern for the needs of those outside of the church, how can we bring them into God's Kingdom? When someone is in need, that need is the center of their world. If you are unable to care adequately for your family, or you have an addiction to some evil--be it drugs, alcohol, ***********, whatever--you cannot see beyond that need. When someone helps you with that need, it shows up as a concern of a friend, and the person in need begins to wonder why anyone would be concerned--what makes this person different! Of course, then the door opens through which you can begin to really make a difference--bringing them to know the Lord Jesus! What greater joy have we been given on earth than this?? :D

Sunday's question; In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

like it said in yesterday's gospel of matthew; would you keep your lantern(light) under a rock? what would be the purpose of that. no one would still be able to see. Jesus'(teachings) is the lantern(knowing and believing in) GOD is the light. not sharing Jesus' teachings is not being a disciple. GOD wants us all to be disciples and share the lantern so all may see (be out of the dark- by not knowing of GOD and about him)

Monday's question; To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

to the degree that we're doing what we can.

DIDO!

We are responsible for the poor and needy both within and outside the church community in the amount that we are able to give.

The bible is clear about the fact that the poor and needy will always exist among us .Our responsibility to them is to remember the example set for us by Jesus christ . His first miracle was turning water in to wine to meet the needs of the couple at the wedding and ever since that miracle , every where he went he turned peoples' poverty to prosperity. As for those outside the church our responsibility is to introduce them to the one who can speak all things to being and thereafter everything else shall be added.

1.We are responsible for the poor and needy in our church community, because we are the body of Christ and if one part of the body is hurting,

then we must identify with that hurt and do something about it.

2. To those outside the church community, we must respond as prompted

by the Holy Spirit. We can't give to every cause, but we have to give when

the conviction of the Holy Spirit prompts you (E.G. starving children in third

world countries, the tsunami disaster, etc. . ) - I was hungry and you fed

me, naked and you clothed me, in prison and you visited me.

We are responsible 100% to those in our church, and as funds are available to the community, we are the hands of Jesus to them. We the church may be the only Jesus they see in this world. :wub:

We are responsible to the poor and needy in our church community to share what God has blessed us with--And, the same for the community at large--First our brothers and sisters in Christ who are needy--then the community. We are stewards of God's blessings--whatever we have is ours by His grace--we are to handle it wisely--and that means helping others! And, it is good to remember we are not responsible for what we don't have!

My church has helped with the food ministry -- food boxes for the needy--no questions asked--homeless folks and others can get "wooden nickels" which they take to the food bank and get 20 lbs. of food. Until recently, we had a weekly ministry of having food at the church one day a week--the homeless and others could come and help themselves from the fruit/veg/ breads whatever was surplus that day. Those of the church community who were in need could do the same--no questions asked!

2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

To the degree it has been given to us

How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

The same . . . it is the Body first and then others.

Luke 12:35. . . v 47-49 (New International Version) 47

When my son and his family were homeless last year I went to my church for help and was refused. Even though my son was doing everything he could possibly do to remedy the situation and I also was trying to help, they refused because they said they don't help people in situations like that because they never know it they're being scammed or not.

So they donate money to an organization so they can help people. They wouldn't even bring food to the hotel to help them.

I was appalled. Wouldn't it have made sense for the pastor and wife and church members to have prayed for discernment in this situation?

My son, who is not a Christian missed an opportunity to see Christ at work.

And they missed a wonderful opportunity to witness to him and his family.

1. To what degree are we responsible for the poor and the needy in the church community?

Today, it would be seldom to find a church member destitute. That is, in America. Most church members have nice cars, computers, large screen TV's, boats, and are involved in some kind of expensive sport with their children.

We are responsible for the poor and the needy in our church community to help the best we can afford.

It is nice to have experienced people working in this area. The many community centers, in most cases are supported by the churches and some are given grants. It is nice to be able to give to Christian organizations that pools the moneys and gifts and are able to help more than one person at a time.

Times have changed, but not the commandment of giving. We need to use wisdom and be good stewarts of God's blessings.

The church is responsible to give out the gospel (Spiritual food) to the poor and the destitute then the physical food. Isn't that what Jesus did?

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

It is definitely breaking the commandment of Jesus (Loving our neighbor as ourselves), and it is the same as standing idly by while another person goes without, when we may have the supplies to meet their needs.

It is a wonderful witness to do for others and give Jesus all the glory (since it is His anyhow). However, feeding, clothing, etc. and witnessing must go hand in hand. As I heard one preacher say "it would do no good to give someone a biscuit and some milk, on their way to hell".

2a.) (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

2a.) We are exhorted in Deuteronomy 24:14-22. In part: "When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the aien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands." These were the ones with the least in those times and now.

2b.) (2:15-16) How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

2b.) The writer of Hebrews tells us: "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." (Hebrews 13:2)

We are responsible for the poor and needy as long as there are poor and needy in our Church and in our communities. Jesus didn

James speaks of a brother or a sister (part of the church family) in need. I believe we have total responsibility for such a person when the need is real. (There could be a case if they are misusing their resources, that we may need to step back and let them take the consequences). We are to treat them as the brother/sister that in fact they are. We are to treat them as we would like to be treated if we were in that position. There should not be anyone in the church family who suffers great need. Children should not be omitted from camps on the basis of not having the money. Gifted children in the church community should be educated in their gift (eg music). Fatherless children should be included in activities with men, eg taken fishing. When will the eyes of the fathers return to the children?

We can't possibly take this amount of interest in people who are not in the church community. That's partly why the (Australian) government has taken on the role of providing pensions and other means for the poor. The church could not do this by itself. However, given the chance of ministering to a neighbour in need, we (individually) should jump at it for the sake of Jesus glory. We may be "ministering to angels ". No loving act is not recorded by our gracious Father. What we do "to the least of these.... we are doing unto Him" We need to be aware of that! Whether attending to them, or ignoring them, let it be known that we are doing this to Jesus!

To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

Just as the believers in the early church were responsible for their needy brethren as described in Acts 2:44,45, we are similarly responsible for each other. And I believer we are responsible to those first. That way others can see the love each believer has for another in the body of Christ and be drawn to the community.

Secondarily, we are also responsible for those outside the church, in the community at large. But we need to make sure that our deeds reflect in a way that glorifies Christ instead of ourselves.