JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Equality with God

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ was and is and always will be equal with God because He is God. He never ceased to be God, even though He humbled Himself and took upon Himself the form of a servant. All the time He walked this earth He was still equal with God the Father.

Christ, being equal with God, has the power to do anything. He could have used His power to bring righteousness to all, eliminate hunger, war and everything evil, rather, He humbled himself and allowed Himself to suffer and die for us. He used His power to endure the evil world, overcome it and redeem us back to God. The passage matter of factly states that He was equal to God, not that He thought He was equal or MAY have been equal. God is divine and Christ,being equal to God., makes Christ divine.

In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

I believe this verse shows us that Christ's actions were not about Himself but about the Father's will. He was with God, equal to God, living in perfection, peace, and love. He voluntarily left that existance which always was, even before all that is known today, and assumed a human body and human nature.

Without ceasing to be God, He became a human being, a man called Jesus. I do not believe He gave up His diety to become human, I think He set it aside for a period of time. Remember, He always stated He was about His Father's business. Another point to remember is that He told Pilate, " "You would have no authority over Me at all," Jesus answered him, "if it hadn't been given you from above. This is why the one who handed Me over to you has the greater sin." (HCSB)

In submission to the Father's will, Christ limited His power. He was subject to place, time, and many other human experienced limitations. In this form He showed us what perfection and love is. The fact that He let go willingly of His equality and existance with God to do all this models perfect love and obedience to the Father.

How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

Webster

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

This is the most beautiful passage in the Word. He chose to put His God stuff aside and to live on this earth as we live on this earth - - experiencing all things we will or would do. To me the temptation during the hurtful, horrible times must have been great, but He chose the suffering to provide the way for us.

He humbled Himself - - so the Father and the Kingdom would be glorified and so we could have eternal life.

The divinity is that He is God - God in man could be the only perfect sacrifice without blemish that could atone once for all. The passage states that He put His Godliness aside - - that makes Him divine.

Lesson 3 Q 2

(a) Christ didn't cling to his equality with God means He did not snatch it for Himself, it was something that was available to Him. Jesus had his equality with God fully at His disposal but did not take advantage of it. Instead Christ "poured Himself out", sacrificed Himself for others, making Himself nothing. In other words, Christ Emptied Himself.

(B) This passage teaches that Jesus is diving specificallly by Jesus is God. He completely gave of Himself. Amen!

I believe that Jesus is equal with God and always existed. I believe that when He came to earth He voluntarily sit aside His divine powers so that He could experience all the things we go through. When He left heaven His mission was to die for us as our sacrifice for sin, to make possible our salvation. He became the pure sacrifice for us, so we could have eternal life. He was no less God but He choose to become a servant for us, whom He loves unconditionally. As the song says He could have called a thousand angels to get Him of the cross.

This passage teaches that Jesus is divine with all the powers of God for He is God and has existed forever. But He choose to humble Himself and be our sacrifice. To do the Father's business. All the time He was on earth He did the Father's will. OH His unconditional love Praise and Honor to His name!

2a.) (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

2a.) Jesus lowered him self to the state of humaness. The analogy of a human becoming a lady bug, I heard. Yet Jesus was fully human and fully divine. He can not go back to his previous state of being. Yet he is at the right hand of God as God man.

2b.) (2:6) How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

2b.) Jesus is in the very nature, God.

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

Jesus humbled himself by becoming fully human. He set aside (didn't cling to) his divine rights as God. Yet He remained God while in human form. This passage teaches us Jesus is divine by stating, "Who being in very nature God". This tells us Jesus IS God who put aside his rights as God to take human form in order to fulfill God's plan of salvation.

In submission to the Father, Jesus set aside the glory that was rightfully his as God, to become man—the ultimate humiliation.

When his work on Earth was complete and the hour of his crucifixion was at hand, Jesus prayed to the Father to restore his glory. “I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.” (Joh 17:4-5)

Jesus did not need to cling to his equality with God, for he is God.

In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

well in order for Jesus to have any effects on the people they'd have to see that he was as human as they were. if not than they wouldn't try to do what he did for GOD or each other. for they wouldn't think they were capable. but by Jesus being human as we are it gives us hope of our own capabilities..

How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

he did it the hard way for our sake. to show us the way. so we could continue it and show it to others.

I really like the way "Magnus" expressed this amazing truth. Jesus Christ freely let go of His position as God, but never gave up His person as God.

I think this is a truth that the Spirit of God confirms and speaks to us in our spirit, because it is hard to grasp with a finite mind. The Holy Spirit whispers to us, communicating within our inner being that this amazing message is true, even if we can't grasp all the implications of it.

John reminds us that "we beheld His glory," but it was veiled in humility and humanity until Christ's death and resurrection. What a privilege His inner circle of disciples had when they saw Him transfigured before them...

What a privilege we'll have one day to see Him face to face -- 1 John 3 -- one of my favourites -- we'll be like Him for we'll see Him face to face.

THAT HE WAS DEPENDENT ON GOD AND DID NOT RELY ON HIS OWN BEING. HE RELIED ON THE HOLY SPIRIT TO GUIDE HIM.

JESUS WAS GOD'S SON AND NEEDED TO OBEY THE WISDOM OF HIS FATHER AND THAT HE DIDN'T THINK THAT HE COULD EVER BE AS GREAT AS GOD. THEREFORE HE HUMBLED HIMSELF TO GOD THE FATHER AND OBEYED.

IF HE IS EQUAL TO GOD THEN HE IS DIVINE.

What does it mean that Christ didn't cling to His equality with God?How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus was divine?

Christ did not cling to His equality with God, for He could not use this advantage, if He were to fully carry cout the plan of the Father, to bring eternal life to all who would recieve it. Jesus had to become fully man, to be able to experience all of the agony that the cross would bring to Him. He knew the will of the Father, and even though His flesh cried out for mercy, He proclaimed, ? Not my will, but thy will, O God".

Though Jesus took upon Himself, the form of man, there never was a time when He was not God, for in Him dwelleth all of the fulness of the Godhead,

bodily.

What does it mean that Christ didn't cling to His equality with God?

Jesus gave up his God power in order to come to earth to be the sacrifice for our sins. He is God but took on human form so we could be forgiven of our sins. He being God was lead as a lamb to the killing and did so willing for that is the only way God the Father could look upon us ever again. He cannot look upon sin that is the reason he could not look upon Jesus on the cross as he took our sins upon him. Thank you Jesus for loving us so much.

How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus was divine?

If it was not for the divine love of Jesus we would be lost. He did not have to do this for us. It was of his choice and free will he came and died for our sins. He being God did not have to do this the choice was his and he died for us. Lord we can never thank you enough.

He became lower than God he let himself take on the physical body to be able to feel what we feel to be tempted and he was still equal to God but he was able to be hurt.

It teaching us he is devine because a human any man or woman could not go through the things that he did and still hang on a cross and say Father forgive them none of us could do that he is devine. :rolleyes:

What does it mean that Jesus didn't cling to his equality with God?How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus was divine?

Jesus did not cling to His equality with God, because as per John 1:1, Jesus

was there before the world began-( And now , O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory I had with thee before the world was).

Also in Hebrews, Chap. 1 - "but unto the Son, He saith, Thy throne, O God is for ever and ever: ". Also , " Before Abraham was, I AM". Also, "all things were made by Him, and without Him, nothing was made that was made".

Jesus was divine because He never at any time denied His relationship with

the Father. Statements like, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father". " I do always those things that please the Father". He allowed

Himself to receive obesiance from those around Him.

:rolleyes: Christ was and is God, with God from eternity. However for the fulfillment of Father's salvation plan for the fallen humankind, HE has taken the shape and nature of a human being. Normally, this does not happen by any stretch of human imagination," of reliquishing all your glory" for the sake of sinful humans. Such is the love of Christ for us. This passage very specically reiterates the divinity of Jesus Christ who is Alpha and Omega.

:blink:

Jesus came from heaven to be with us here on earth as a human, to take our sins to the cross. God is the Father. Jesus being the Son, does not cling to the equality because "Father Knows Best". He asks the Father to take the cup but shows his humility by saying, "Not my will, but your will be done." He came to earth to serve the Father but most importantly to serve us by giving an example of how we should live.

2:6 states that Jesus is very nature of God. This shows that He is divine and equal to God.