JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

We should serve him becuase we love him. No matter what our job is we are to put our whole heart into it. Doesn't mater if we are doing work with kids or cleaning toilets. We would all love to pick what we do. But we need to be where God wants us not always where we want to be. He has given to each of us a job and the talent to do it.

Those who pick where they want to serve, give the feeling that they are not good enough for the low jobs. They want to be seen

Let us all serve him out of our love for him. And do our best job at what ever he has called us to do for him. :rolleyes:

Slave implies a permanent selfless obedience whereas preference carries a lighter tone - a temporary selfish obedience. If we give ourselves totally as slaves, we are committed and will accomplish far more than any half-hearted attempt. If we prefer to serve him it's selfish because it's convenient for us at the time. Leaders should be committed, not half hearted. A flock led by a part time shepherd will go astray.

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

We should serve him with all that is within us and never stop day or night that is what a bondservant does. He has more than paid the highest of price for our obedience. A slave never walks away they know it is life bond to the master and in our walk with Jesus it what we want to to be a slave one that never walks away or does anything that does not please him. :)

What does it say about the quality of our service?

We are to do all things with all our strength and all our might to get the word done for the Lord not do it half hearted or with a spirit of selfishness. We should always give 100 percent to the Lord. Not do it with a hateful attitude or it is not for his glory or honor but for our own and that will only keep us upset. :angry:

Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

We should all do the work of the Lord because it is the desire of our hearts to please him and to want to give him all the honor and glory. We serve him because of who he is not for what he can do for us. We are a blessed people. Thank you Jesus. :rolleyes:

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

Serving as a slave - - means to obey the Master without question. When preference comes in - it will always lean to our way instead of God's way. Same is wrong with the leaders - if they do it their way, then they are not serving God - but their own interests - - and we in turn will serve the man instead of God.

We serve God out of love and faith and obedience.

What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

Phi 2:22:But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

The Greek word used in Phi 2:22 meaning served is Douleuō. It means to be a slave, literally of figuratively, involuntary or voluntary. It comes from the Greek word Doulos, adding to the preceding definition,

A slave serves his master in the way that the master commands. He has no opportunity to do anything other than this. When someone serves as a preference, he/she does the work with a desire to please the Lord! :rolleyes:

The quality of our service goes down when we are only doing as much as we must to keep the master from using a whip on us! :o

Can a slave really be committed to love and serve his master? Only in rare instances when the master treats him/her like a beloved son or daughter. In those instances, the slave will be committed to doing the best for the Master!

When leaders serve out of being "preferred" by a committee or person, they are filled with pride of being chosen, and spend more time trying to achieve more praise for self than to see that the committment is fulfilled to the best that God requires! -_-

However, if by this we mean that the person prefers to fulfill this service for his Lord, he/she will do his/her utmost to be faithful to do the best possible for this service, because it is done for love for the one who requests it! We must be certain of what our committment is, and to whom! :)

Amen to the reply by Josa Rivera and Helen Spaulding

The slave has no mind of his own only the mind of the master.

Another thought along this line. All people have a master.

There is two Spirits waring to be master of our mind. Jesus want to

be master of your mind, also the Devil wants to be master of your mind.

One wants to take you the heaven the other wants to take you to hell.

Who is your master, where are you going????

The road of life has a y you mush chose to follow one or the other.

The path of which master do you travel?

I agree with some of you, Slave to me implies servitude without much of a choice. Your a slave to something usually says that you cant help but do anything BUT that thing. Which in regards to being Christs likeness is a good thing, but its not always a choice, its something that cannot be helped.

Preference is something that you do at all times with Joy and a grateful heart because want to. Preference coupled with being a slave is even better, because yes slave meaning you cant help but serve, but ad preference to that and its that you cant help but serve Jesus, by choice with a grateful and joyful heart.

Thats just what i get out of that passage.

:D

3a.) (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

3a.) Being completely sold out to Jesus as Paul was.

3b.) (2:22) What does it say about the quality of our service?

3b.) You will do your best to please the Master.

3c.) (2:22) What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

3c.) They may feel that they are doing work to their glory not the Master.

Lesson 5 Q 3

(a) The significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving Him as a preference is when you serve as a "slave" you are as one in total service to Jesus. You are obedient. Serving Jesus as a preference is more like a choice, something preferred over someone else. You preferred Jesus but, (there's always that but). Serving as a "slave" the work of the Gospel will be proclaimed.

(B) It says about the quality of our service is if we are totally committed then we will serve wholeheartedly, if not then we are bringing Jesus, the Gospel down.

© It says about the quality of our commitment is it depends on how much love and devotion we have for Jesus. If we have geniune love then we will be totally commited, if not the commitment will not be there like it should be.

(d) What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference is there's not 100% commitment and this can cause problems. With problems comes hurt. The Church of Christ will be hurt because it will not shine in this darkened world.

The signifiance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving as a preference?

Serving as a "slave" you will serve to please Jesus not man. You will serve wholeheartedly because it will be out of a love for Jesus. You will serve with humility and obedience. Serving Jesus is a priviledge when doing it unto Him. When we serve as a preference we may be doing it with an alternative purpose, such as to look good in man's eyes. Serving as a "slave" we will never think ourselves above any job there is. We will serve even in places not many see.

Quality for serve will be better and without complaint because it will be for our Lord and Savior.

Our commitment will last a life time.

Leaders who serve out of preference will want the praise of man. After awhile of service they will get tired of serving and go on to other things.

After posting my answers today and going back to read the responses of others, I see I'm coming at this with a different interpretation than some of what is meant by "preference". Isn't it neat how the Spirit can show each of us something a little different?!

If I

When we serve Jesus as a willing slave, we do so out of privilege, not obligation. Jesus symbolized this servanthood when he washed the feet of his disciples during the Last Supper. We serve in this manner from our heart, in an excellent manner to honor our King.

When leaders serve out of preference, it is because they expect favor in return

;)

In this passage the word slave is accompanied by the words wholeheartedly and serving God. We are to serve others as though we are serving Him in everything we do. (The parable of the Sheep and the Goats comes to mind.) A slave is one who does the will of his master. Serving Him as a preference gives you the idea that it is a choice. The question is, are you serving God and giving Him the glory or are you serving yourself and leaving God out of the equasion.

It is to be done wholeheartedly. Timothy proved himself because he learned from Paul and made himself worthy to teach and preach the word of God, wholeheartedly.

We must commit ourselves to the service of our Lord in everythingwe do.

Serving the Lord has become a chore to them. It can be seen and felt in someleaders. Their hearts aren't in it. They will hurt the Church of Christ.

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE REALLY LOVES YOU

Being a slave you serve with total being. You are totally dedicated. By preference sounds like you do what you prefer to do, because it is the right thing to do. For almost a year I cleaned the church ( even the toilets) and I still feel like it was what God chose for me to humble me. It was a real test of my love. It was not what I preferred but I was obedient.

Out of preference they think they are better than others because of leadership status. We must be willing to wash the feet of our enemies as Jesus did. That is true AGAPE love. Serving out of preference is just doing church work and you'll soon tire of it.

Put your whole self into it and slave for Jesus and you will be rewarded when the time comes for it. Go that extra mile.

Serving Jesus as a slave means electing to serve as a bond servant, entirely of one's own choice, whith no pressure or pressure behindit. It is something one would do only because of great trust of the person, and confidence in their right behaviour towards the servant. It would be seen as a privilege to be under someone of this kind because their justice is well known, their house well run, and a position highly to be regarded and esteemed, very desirable. This householder has great esteem in the eyes of all who know.

Serving Jesus is a privilege beyond words, a bond of high esteem and love, a cherished position in the house, and honour beyond one's wildest dreams! It's a love bond between two people, indivisible by another, a position of trust, which trust may not be broken without deep tears and repentance, It's a life and death bond or covenant sealed in blood. Breaking it is not conceivable for one will not be separted from the beloved. This relationship, in its proper form, draws the ultimate in service from us, for it is our passion.

Leaders who do not have this passion for the Christ will become false prophets, may burn out easily, will wonder why their prayer is not answered. will operate in their own strength

What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "Slave" as opposed to serving

Him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service?Of our committment?What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

Serving Jesus as a slave is to serve Him in gratitute of what He has done for

me , not as an act of bondage, but a willingness of the heart. The quality of

my service should be one of greater love and committment to serve Him the

rest of my life, having no regrets.

Leaders who serve out of preference are not committed to the work or to

their master. The service could also be inadequate and not done with the

best motivation

When we serve as a slave we serve because we simply have no choice. On one hand that sounds negative, but when it come to Christ not so, because we become that slave out of choice. When our love for Him so envelopes us that we cannot bear to be without Him then we become His slave. We are serving him out of love and not out of what we can get out of it. That is when we serve out of preference.

When service is given out of preference it is given out of self and to feed self and one's ego not to serve the body of Christ.

Serving as a slave means to totally obey and to do all that we have been told to do..

Serving as a matter of preference allows us to be self serving rather than being wholly dedicated to doing His will. The quality of our service, then is compromised, and fails to glorify the Father. Our commitment likewise suffers, because there is no firm foundation to the service we try to offer.

Leaders who serve out of preference tend to pay more attention to their personal agenda than to actual selfless service to others. We see this on TV all the time..

i think this could be used as anser to a few questions. if a pastor/assitant any man or woman of god going before the people should be careful as to how and what they not only say but show. tis is why i dont have a church, either there is a status of who is or isnt excepted,(wich the word is in love, and from the love they see christ and through christ they get understnading, wich transforms there lives and better equipes us to handle this world. some are void of commentment and not in my opion truly called, they lack love, compassion and patience. not standing on the true word only comprimizing what fits a welcome of folks wonting there ears tickeled.

Serving the master in implicit obedience at all times and in all situations. Not when it is convenient for me, not when I like the people in the congregation, not when I like the pastor. Everything I do I consider only for glory of Jesus Christ, not seeking even an iota of self-appreciation or appeasement of another human being.

What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving Him as a preference?

We serve Jesus as a slave because we have been bought with a price.

When I accepted Jesus as my Savior,I went from being owned by the devil to being owned by Christ. We serve Him as a slave or bondservant because we love Him.

Those who serve Him out of preference usually pick where they want to serve.

Most of the time they choose a 'spotlight' ministries to be seen and applauded by men.

What does it say about the quality of our service?

If we serve Jesus as a 'slave' we will be doing the best we can to please our Master.

If we serve out of preference it is easy to come up with excuses as to why we aren't doing our best work for the Lord.

Of our commitment?

My answer to the previous question applies here as well.

What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

They often chose ministries that are glamourous or would advance their careers. Often they become involved in ministry not because they love Jesus,

but because they seek and desire the power,fame, wealth,and prestige of a certain ministry. Leaders who serve out of preference will often turn up their noses at working in the church nursery,doing janitorial work in the church, or anything else they consider menial labor.

• 2 months later...

We must not pick what we want to do, I believe the choice is not ours. We let Jesus be Lord of our lives. God reaches down to us, and he asks for our response. Man must not focus on human efforts, we will fail every time. We are not a slave to sin, we are a slave to Jesus Christ, the one who gave us life and freedom. Serving Christ is our freedom, we are a willing slave and we honor Christ Jesus. There is no reward to following man. We must do the work of the gospel (proclaim the Good News) to a world that needs salvation.God desires us to follow him.God desires our love.We worship God and honor God with all we have within us,given to us by Jesus Christ.Amen