JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Mind Control and Peace

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Controlling the mind is seriously one of the greatest keys to joyful, victorious Christian life. Our thoughts are vulnerable to the enormous influences of Satan, and any mind that is not disciplined and guarded by the Spirit is going to be the devil

If we don't cleanse our mind daily by reading His Word we will have a filthy mind. We are bombarded daily with the world's noise and it is very necessary to wash our minds out with God's truth. If we don't, the world will find a nice resting place in our heads. As Jesus said, "Just as you have believed, so let it be done to you". We believe what we think and our actions are based on our thoughts. Jesus also warned us to be careful about what we hear. We must filter out the junk with God's truth. I experience fear, doubt and anxiety but when I turn to the Lord and give it to Him and/or focus on Him it totally dissipates my fears. I know I'm supposed to keep my eyes on the Lord and not my circumstances because we don' t know His plan but I still look at the circumstances - I'm learning!

Q4. (4:8) Why is mind control necessary for success? For mental and spiritual peace? What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties? How is this working for you?

OUr mind must be disciplined to concentrate on the God things. It is a ground for Satan to use and we must be constantly filling it with Godly thoughts. Then when the attacts come from Satan we will be equiped to combat his arrows with Godly ways. The more time spent in prayer and study of God's word the more we will walk in the Spiritual realm - -

Refocusing is a constant battle in my life. My mind wonders and the world is full of "candy" for the eye, ears, nose, etc. Discipline and choice are the factors in where you spend your time. I know this is silly, but I continuosly ask the question "how would Jesus respond?)" Helps me to reflect on His character and see Him more clearly.

God gave us choice which He doesn't remove from us. With choice comes responsibility, accountability, and consequence.Choice operates out of the mind. Originally God told Adam "Don't eat of the Tree...." He expected Adam's will to be functional on his order. Adam is conscious of his choices. This consciousness resides, with his will, in his mind so that he knowingly takes decisions. He has to have control of his mind in order to obey God. We have to have control of our mind or take back control of it in order to make good decisions. Success lies mostly in good decisions. Therefore we need CONTROL of our own minds to be successful. If we are not in control of our minds, then who is? - and that's a frightening question!

The same logic applies for mental and spiritual peace. We have controll of our mind, then seeing that we trust God above ourselves or anything/one else, we submit our minds deliberately and consciously to His Word, and there find our spiritual peace.

Instead of my anxieties I focus on the needs of other people. There is always someone who needs my attention. This enables me to see that I share an earthly footpath with other sufferes. A sense of community envelopes me together with a sense of Christ. I count my blessings, which I think is one of the great secrets of a sensitive life, pray for others and seek to serve them. Most of all I give thanks for all sorts of things, some of which must make God laugh.

At the end of the day it is good to give my anxieties to Father - He has bigger shoulders than I have, and it's such a relief. I can't take responsibility for everything on this earth, but Father truly can! I like to let Him! It all works out pretty well as long as I stick to the game plan.

Paul told us in Chapter 3 that we should make every effort to take hold of the prize. Here Paul explains that we must focus on what is right.

Just like in any sport, excellence is achieved through practice and repetition, and avoidance of distraction. So it is with our growth in Christ. Every day new challenges threaten to derail our quest. Sometimes we find ourselves alone, while our neighbors, co-workers, and even family members go about their earthly lives. Satan sets many an obstacle in our path. He points out our weaknesses

Why is mind control necessary for success?

that depends on whom is controlling the mind. if you think that you can do it alone think again. i'm sure we've all thought more than once that we can make up our own mind. but when we do it without Jesus' help the devil jumps in and goes to work. and we don't always recognize him. so if you consider that asking Jesus for help everyday to direct you in the right direction mind control. than i agree that it's necessary.

For mental and spiritual peace?

if you agree that Jesus should be in control, than spiritual and any other kind of peace is always there.

What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties?

praying for peace and salvation for others

How is this working for you?

i'm kind of impatient. i've seen an improvement in many but not to the point of salvation yet. it kinda takes longer than i'd like. keep praying that it won't be to late for them.

The mind tends to wander so we must keep it in control by thinking on good things and focus on what we want to accomplish.

Think on what the Bible says in Phillipians 4:8. Dwell on these things.

To focus on eternity and my reward of spending it with Christ.

I no longer worry, because all my needs are met. My wants I'll always have and are different than my needs. I no fear death because I no where I'll spend eternity. When satan tries to sneak in my thoughts , I rebuke him in Jesus' name. He ( Satan) has no rights on this body as I am a child of the Living God! Hallelujah!!!!!! Praise His Holy Name!!!

:) Self-control is a fruit of Spirit. God says in Proverb 25:28, "Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control." We will be useless if we don't control our mind. God works for those of who wait for the Lord. Lack of control is mainly coming from selfishness. Moreover, if God doesn't work in our life, we tend to fail.

When we say about mind control, it means controlling our mind in Spirit. And God is peace.

Based on this, I am praying that God will drive me every moment: in working, talking, serving, even in sleep. I want to be a God-driven man. It works sometimes. But in many times, I need to control my mind. I still have selfish part in me (old being). God says in 2 Corinthian 5:17.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Praise the Lord!

4a.) (4:8) Why is mind control necessary for success?

4a.) Paul tells us: "The mind of sinful man is death but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so." (Romans 8: 6-7) Choose life!

4b.) (4:8) For mental and spiritual peace?

4b.) The answer is included above also.

4c.) (4:8) What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties?

4c.) That God is in control.

4d.) (4:8) How is this working for you?

4d.) Slowly but surely, my tendency to be a worry wart is almost non-existent. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-29) :rolleyes:

Lesson 8 Q 4

(a) Why is mind control necessay for success?

Mind control is necessary for success because if we do not learn to control our mind we will lose, we will fail, we will be in bad trouble.

(B) For mental and spiritual peace?

Mind control is necessary for mental and spiritual peace because if we do not learn to control our mind it will be difficult to focus on God and our relationship with Him. We will be failing to trust Him. We will not have any peace without controling our minds to think healthy thoughts. We will be in bad shape, spiritually. We will not experience the peace that God promises us.

© What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties?

What I have decided to focus on instead of my anxieties is God's Word. I am trying to study and asking God for understanding through this Bible Study ( Thank you Dr. Ralph F. Wilson for being obedient to God). I also listen to Joyce Meyer's tapes while I am doing my housework. When I am called to do work for the Lord I do it. I try to focus my mind on positive things (which is God's way) instead on negative things (Satan's way). Amen?

(d) How is this working for you?

This is really working for me because it relaxes me and takes my mind off my worries and anxieties. It also gives me a really good feeling. PEACE!

We have to have control of our mind or we open the way for the devil to get control. In the Bible it says to have a renewed mind, one that will focus on the good things, pure and honest things.

When I get all stressed over circumstances I try to run to the Bible and get me some Scripture to concentrate on. I will confess I am not very good in this area. I have been accustomed to worrying all my life. But I will continue to strive to break free from this sin of worry.

Mind control is important because the things happening can easily take us out of Christ. Our minds are carnal so we have to consciously fix our mind on the sriptures and on Christ. That way we can be at peace wth God and ourselves.

I have decideed to focus on God and not on my anxieties. I ususally tell myself that worrying about any situation will not change the situation but get me all stressed up and unhappy. I have to consciously tune into God and his word.

Q4. (4:8) Why is mind control necessary for success?

It is important to control your thoughts for you to be able to be pleasing to God. He will not look upon sin and if sin is in your thoughts you are not pleasing to him. We have to us control of what we let our minds dwell on. We will be blessed and be a blessing if we practice this to its fullest. :mellow:

You become stronger when you think on the right things and Satan's attacks are not as effective on you. When he can't get you to worry and be upset all the time it is harder for his attacks to hold you down. When you think on the things of God you will have spiritual peace at all times. Not peace as the world gives but the peace of God that passes all understanding. :D

What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties? How is this working for you?

When I am under attack I find to keep repeating scriptures works really well. It is what Jesus said to Satan as he was tempted and it still works today. It is not big secret how to handle this it is a matter or memorizing the word and using it to your advantage at times of temptation. The answer to every question is in the word you to every problem. We are blessed to have computers and there are many help tools on here for us to us and I thank God for them and for Dr. Wilson and these studies. :D

"The mind is a terrible thing to waste." If all you focus on are the bad things in life, all the bad things in life are going to focus on you. They tear you down. Cleansing your mind each day will help you begin the day with positive thoughts. Some of us have to clean it more than once a day, some every moment of every day. The old adage "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind. If you think positive things, positive things will happen. At times you can be so far in the dumps because the world has beaten a hole in you. When I feel that way I go to "Fake It Til' You Make It." There are so many people out in the world that are teaching 'the power of positive thinking'. You don't have to pay people to teach you how to think positively if it is all right here in v. 8. These are the positive thinkers rules. Focus on these. Life can be so unbearable but you don't have to handle it all on your own. God's Little Instruction Book has all of the answers and can help you with all of the positive thing that you need.

Everybody has different anxieties. It is kind of funny because my anxieties are also what I consider to be 'something really worthwhile' for me to focus on. This is the case in most all aspects of my life. As a minister with my church, as a counselor with my clients and as a spouse with my partner. I tend to pour my all into everything so finding a distraction can prove to be difficult. I try to keep focused on the positive things and I try to turn the negative into positive but it is exceptionally hard to do at times. I always try to consider everything as learning experience and if I learn something from the negative then I will be able to handle them better if they ever pop up again. I have also learned that many of my anxieties come different people or different situations. I try to change what I can n the situation. (being a perfectionist it is hard to remember I can't fix everything or everybody.)

When it comes to people I can only change myself. I cannot control or change anyone else (however I could if I would). I try to remember the question, "What Would Jesus Do?) and try to follow His example.

How is this working for me?...depends on the situation. I have started this bible study which has been helpful. Giving it up to Jesus is probably the hardest thing I have ever done because that means I have to give up control. I am quite the control freak, ask anyone, they will tell you. I am trying to make the changes in my life that I need to make but it is not easy. I do find that as I change my outlook on life, I am becoming a happier, less anxiety filled person. 25 years and I am still working on it, with many more years to go.

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE ABSOLUTELY, PASSIONATELY LOVES YOU!!!

Q4. (4:8) Why is mind control necessary for success? For mental and spiritual peace? What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties? How is this working for you?

We must focus our thoughts on our present occupation in order to perform our task properly. If we allow our minds to wander wherever our random thoughts take us we become subject to all sorts of subjects some whick can lead us to sin and/or tremendous anxiety. I have decided to focus on thankfulness. Right now I have extreme stress at work, when I feel like blowing up and walking out, I try to remind myself how thankful I need to be just to have a job. I also pray for the ones who are making life more difficult for me. This does bring me peace and enables me to carry on.

Q4. (4:8) Why is mind control necessary for success? For mental

and spiritual peace? What have you decided to focus on instead of

your anxieties? How is this working for you?

If we don't learn to control what goes into our minds. We won't always desire to do what is right in Gods eyes. Having wrong thoughts can make us do the things we shouldn't do. :(

It brings peace to think on good things. On Gods word :rolleyes:

What have you decided to focus on instead of

your anxieties?

On Gods word :rolleyes:

If keeps me from turning away and doing what i want instead of what God wants. I desire his peace at all times :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Why is mind control necessary for successs?For mental and spiritual peace?

What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties?How is this

working for you?

The bible says, " The mind is hostile to God, it is not subject to God, neither

indeed can be". Most of us have been influenced in our mind by the mindset

of the ways of the world early in life. We now must train and discipline our

mind to receive the things of God and to set our affections upon Him.

We are cautioned by the Word to be transformed in our mind by focusing and

meditating upon the Word of God DAILY. God's words are pure words , as

silver refined in a furnace of fire, seven times. I like what David said-"Thy

Word O Lord have I hid in mine heart that I might not sin against thee".

The Word has AUTHORITY; therefore , come under this authority and be

subject to it.

It gives mental and spiritual peace in that we know that God is not a man

that He should lie; therefore we can put our trust in it. God's Word is a lamp

unto our feet and a light unto our path.

I believe that we should focus on the promises and claim them to overcome

anxieties. I understand that worry is a SIN . Let us therefore put off the

deeds of the flesh and put on the righteousness of Jesus Christ , who for the

joy set before Him, endured the cross , despising the shame.

• 1 month later...

I can reply to the first part of this question, from recent experience. When time came for me to give up a bad habit, I had to practice "mind control" to get past it! But

it worked! I started to think about something else instead! I have learned how important it is to lead every thought captive into obiedence to Jesus! And it works!!

Praise the Lord!! I am focusing on the author and finisher of my faith! And He always causes me to triumph!! It's working great. I wish I had learned this years ago!!

• 3 months later...

PAUL SAID IN THE BOOK OF ROMANS THAT WE SHOULD NOT BE CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD BUT BE TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWING OF OUR MINDS.THIS TAKES A LOT OF DISCIPLINE TO THINK LIKE GOD THINKS AND TO SEE OTHERS THE WAY HE SEES THEM.BUT IT IS NECESSARY TO CONTROL OUR THOUGHT LIVES OR ELSE WE THINK JUST LIKE THE WORLD THINKS; JUST LIKE THE CARNAL MAN WHO LIVES TO PLEASE HIMSELF INSTEAD OF PLEASING GOD.OUR MIND IS THE BATTLEFIELD AND WE HAVE TO TAKE AUTHORITY OVER WRONG THOUGHTS BY REPLACING THEM WITH GOD'S THOUGHTS IN ORDER TO HAVE SUCCESS.

CONTROLLING OUR THOUGHT LIFE IS IMPORTANT FOR MENTAL AND SPIRITUAL PEACE ALSO BECAUSE SOLOMON SAID IN PROVERBS, AS A MAN THINKETH IN HIS HEART SO IS HE. SO HOW WE THINK DETERMINES HOW WE WILL BECOME.WE HAVE TO PUT ON THE RIGHT THOUGHTS DAILY FROM GOD'S WORD AND TAKE EVERY WRONG OR NEGATIVE THOUGHT CAPTIVE AND BRING IT TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST'S WORD.

I HAVE DECIDED TO MEDITATE ON GOD'S WORD AND SPEND MORE TOME IN PRAYER AND COMMUNION WITH GOD INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON THE SITUATION. I HAVE A FIFTEEN YEAR OLD WHO I WISH COULD BE IN SCHOOL BUT BECAUSE OF US MOVING CONSTANTLY, IT HAS AFFECTED HIS EDUCATION AND NOW HE CANT KEEP UP WITH THE WORK AT SCHOOL AND I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO HOMESCHOOL HIM.IT HAS BEEN VERY FRUSTRATING FOR ME BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I DONT HAVE TIME FOR MYSELF ANYMORE.SO I'M IN THE PROCESS OF LEARNING HOW TO CAST ALL THESE CARES, FRUSTRATIONS AND ANXIETIES ON THE LORD AND RELY ON HIM TO GIVE ME PEACE ...GOD BLESS.....

• 9 months later...

Mind control for a Christian is allowing the Holy Spirit to be your guide, to think of things that are not of this world, our carnal nature, to have our mind stayed on Jesus. As the old saying goes;"Know Jesus, Know Peace". Once we allow ourselves to concentrate on Him, His great promises and our blessed hope we are able to cast aside all doubts and fears, our anxieties.

How is this working for me? Easier said than done. Since I live in the flesh I am inclined to dwell in the flesh and have to mortify my carnality, every day. This is the battle; the world, the devil and the flesh. The Holy Spirit gives us the victory, if we allow Him to lead. It's up to me to do that and I do a little better each day. As Paul said: "I die daily".

• 11 months later...

Mind control is necessary for success because if you allow your mind to wander and be out of control when you need to pay attention you'll find that you've missed opportunities which would have lead you to success. An out of control mind is the devils playground, he tries to keep you from doing that which is right and keeping control is your step to success.

If you are not in control your thinking will wander into areas that will absord you and rob you of mental and spiritual peace.

What have you decided to focus on instead of your anxieties?

Instead of focusing on anxieties, find a scripture verse that promises peace and think on the promise of God. I love to recall,

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."
Isaiah 26:3 (KJV)

Trust God and He will give you peace in the midst of anxiety.

It works. A few days ago I was in an underground site and felt the feeling of claustrophobia coming on. I meditated on a scripture verse and soon God's peace over came me. Thank you Lord.