JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A prosperity doctrine can threaten Christian ministry because it can cause someone to turn to God for the wrong reasons. I have heard quite a few preachers preach if you pay your tithes then you will get back ten-fold. I have seen a lot of people pay tithes because they believe that expecting to get out of the financial trouble that they are in and there are no results. Sure there are people who do reap when they pay tithes, but there are just as many who suffer great financial burdens when they do. Enough said about tithes that is a whole other topic that I don

God gives us the ability to prosper. He also gives us the ability to be in want as Paul describes - "I can do all things in Christ Jesus". This "all things" relates to managing in whatever condition we find ourselves while doing God's work. It's a bit different from what prosperity teaching delivers. Some Christians are to prosper and supply the need of the churches. All of us are to tithe and make offerings according to God's Spirit. Whatever we do, we are to do it joyfully. We certainly are to expect the unexpected from God and He is our supplier. We are also to keep in mind those who have so much less than we have, and to give to them. I feel it is good to prefer others before ourselves and pray for them. In so doing, Father will look after our needs. He has done this with me marvellously. As a pensioner I have need of a car, and Father has put it on the heart of one of His men to do all my services and repairs free of charge for his time! Imagine that! I stand amazed at His answers to my prayers of need. The prosperity doctrine can suggest to people that the church is all about money. People can feel ill-at-ease if they have not "prospered" as expected. There are those who are called to forgo careers which would be financially rewarding for the gospel's sake, and go far away to minister. We have great responsibilities to these people as a prosperous church. Of those to whom much is given, much is expected! This is my summary of prosperity teaching.

Jesus did teach on financial issues, mostly that people should "give unto Caesar...." (ie respect authority which God has put in place). He also noted beautiful gifts and pointed out the motivation behind them - eg the woman who gave her last coins, and Mary who gave the expensive oil against His burial). These are the motivations He wishes to see. So I do wonder about teachings on giving that emphasise the returns. I don't find many examples of that in Scripture. Did Mary get back 10 times the oil she poured on Jesus feet? Did the widow get back 100 fold on the coins she put in the temple offering. It is not demonstrated that they did. Did they have that in mind? I don't think so. I do think generousity teaching is in order, but I question prosperity teaching.

The rich are responsible for improving the lot of the poor. Giving is to be a joyfully generous response of love, either to need or to a ministry. Money is for putting to good use (good stewardship) and tithing is expected of everyone as a first base offering. Requests are to be made known to God. Wealth is a blessing to be enjoyed and shared, and poverty is no virtue! Proper giving in finance draws the open windows of Heaven upon the giver.

1a.) (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry?

1a.) Pickledilly stated it well. Your focused on getting not giving. Selfishness instead of selflessness.

1b.) (4:11-12) To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal?

1b.) Our sinful nature. The comforts of the world. Temporal things that can be eaten by moths and rust. Not the eternal treasures that we should be building in heaven.

1c.) (4:11-12) In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

1c.) The author of Ecclesiastes observes: "Whoever loves money, never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." (Ecclesiastes 5:10) Jesus teaches: "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one or love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." (Matthew 6:24 & Luke 16:13). I know in its contet Jesus is warning us about placing all worldly things first before the Father. Paul also addresses this in one of his letters to Timothy. "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (1 Timothy 6:10)

Lesson 9 Q 1

(a) A "prosperity doctrine" can threaten a Christian ministry by people will be accepting Jesus for prosperity instead of believing what He has done for us. A "prosperity doctrine" is not the full Gospel.

(B) The prime motivation in us that such a teaching often appeals is having a worry-free life, (so we think). Everything taken care of with money. Often the desire for more or better possessions is really a longing to fill an empty place in our life. Through the Gospel message, money or possessions is not what will make us happy, only a life in Jesus Christ will and it will more than fill that empty place.

© The Bible teaches about poverty and riches is to be content in whatever state we are in. Jesus is with us in both poverty and in riches. Amen? The secret is drawing upon Christ's power for strength.

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian

ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching

often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty

and riches?

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian

ministry?

It makes us desire more. We want to give in to our own needs instead of being a help to others. :(

To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching

often appeal?

We sometimes give our of need of what we can get out of it for ourselfs. Instead it should be out of our love for others. :)

In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty

and riches?

It teach us that no matter how much or how little we have here we should be happy. We should keep our eyes on the heavanly treasures than anything we can gain while here. :rolleyes:

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

The answer is in the word "ministry". Ministry means to serve, to take care of others needs. Giveing to get is not serving. It is keeping the focus on one's self not on Christ or the people He wants us to serve.

Prosperity teaching appeals to selfishness and greed.

I loved pickledilly's answer from proverbs, to have just enough, not too much and not too little. We saw in our Abraham studies how God does bless people with riches and we see from Paul's life that sometime there are riches and sometimes not so rich. The scripture teaches us that the problem is not how much you have or have not, the problem is the LOVE of money, which is the root of all evil. Prosperity doctrine feeds the love of money.

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry? To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal? In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

Prosperity doctrine - is not doctrine - is is taking away from Jesus. We come to faith because He deserves worship and praise - NOT because we get something. Prosperity teaching is all about ME and what I can get. The Lord came to serve and not be served - he came humbly - - prosperity teaching takes away from the poor and makes the richer - richer.

Riches are not always monetary value and things - riches are helping someone in need - a hug - the things of Heaven - - not materialistic stuff for our pleasure on earth.

It takes our eyes off of the Lord and puts them on material possessions and that is idolatry, which is a sin. We've seen how Peter began to sink once his focus was off the Lord. We will also sink if we take our focus off the Lord. If we sink, eventually we'll die and this is the great danger. This doctrine appeals to our old materialistic "I want it all and I want it now" nature. We are to seek the Kingdom of God first and everything else will be added. Jesus showed John, Peter and James that He could supply their external needs easily with abundant fish. It was also evidenced by the coin in the fish's mouth. Jesus can easily provide for our physical needs but we are to seek to fulfill our spiritual needs and all else will be taken care of. If we truly walk with God, material possessions would have little-to-no value to us. I believe that a true disciple would desire first and foremost a close relationship with God and then to bring as many people into His Kingdom as possible.

Q1. (4:11-12) How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry?

It puts our minds on things of this earth not on the thing of God, he has said he will provide all our needs according to his riches in glory. We do not need to count or depend on this world for our help. God is our God. :rolleyes:

To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal?

We to be honest want to keep up with the Jones as the old saying goes. We want to look think we are as good as everyone else. When in fact what is in this world should not have affect on us. We need to keep our minds our thoughts on the Lord who has gave us promise after promise if we do what he says he will take care of us. The things of this earth are only borrowed for a while they are temporal and they will pass away but still when we see others with great wealth we seem to desire it. :blink:

In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

The bible tells us God will meet all our needs and that he is the one we need to seek and desire. He is a King I am the child of a King he is not going to let me go without what I need. But if times get hard we know he is with us. He will be with us in want and in plenty. He is our Father he loves us. He lets us go through all things for us to grow. I have been where I did not know where the next meal to feed my family would come from and I have been able to do a lot for family at times. In both these times I thank God for he supplies all my needs. I do not have to worry or fret he is with me at all times. We need to know both sides of this coin for that way we are eager to help others and do for others that need our help. God has a purpose for all things that go on in our lives. We grow and become a better more useful child to our Father as we learn in all things. Thank you Jesus. :D

How can a "prosperity doctrine" threaten Christian ministry?

properity can be good and bad.

good; if you see it as a means from GOD to do something for others with.

bad; if you see it as a reward for what have already done. our reward is to be later in heaven. so it may change the person recieving to doing things for others for the wrong reason. but GOD will test us to see what we will do.

To what prime motivation in us does such a teaching often appeal?

it depends on the individual, if you truly believe in GOD. this test will let you help others.

yet on the other hand, what do you have to look forward to. something else that may not be necessary. and at that point you'll never be satisfied.

In balance, what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches?

most of the time people aren't strong enough to handle it. once have it not willing to give it up for anything, including GOD.

If you only have prosperity and not know poverty then it is for all the wrong reasons. Getting instead of giving which is against gospel teachings. No-one is ever on the mountaintop all of the time. We do get into valleys that only Jesus can pull us out of. Always teaching the high side and not mentioning the struggles that could come, that only Christ can settle. Love of money is the root of all evil. The more anyone has the more they want and try anything to get it. Learn to praise the LORD in the good times and when not so good. At all times PRAISE THE LORD!!

A "prosperity doctrine" can threaten Christian ministry because it brings people to God for all the wrong reasons.

They come to God believing He is a type of santa claus, or some kind of sugar daddy,who is at their beck and call.

One of the teachings is,they give monetarily to the church and they will be doubly blessed with riches.

Of course,when they give their seed faith money,as one famous evangelist referred to it,and instead of being blessed with riches,they find themselves in a period of financial adversity,then that is going to cause them to grow bitter and angry toward God.

The bible teaches that we are to be content regardless of our financial situation.

We are not to seek after earthly riches but the kingdom of God. :angry:

First off preaching a prosperity doctrine is a false doctrine that must be seen as false. This is a threat to Christian ministry because it can lead ones to feel if they don't have wealth they must not be being faithful. They may feel as though the are not following God, because if they were they would have many worldly goods. This doctrine would be a selfserving doctrine not a giving doctrine and we know Christ was concerned with giving He gave His life for us!!

Thios kind of appeal would cause some to be come greedy. Going to God for what He can give and not for who He is.

The balance in riches and poverty is to rejoice and thank God no matter where you are, whether in the low bracket of income or the high. Riches are not bad in themselves they become wrong when we put them before good. On the other hand if you have all the riches in the world and lose your soul, what good is it.

Properity doctrine can undermine all that the church is trying to do. Giving for the wrong reason will keep the blessings from flowing down. God promises to open the floodgates of heaven if we give but I believe that we must give with the proper motivaiton. Prosperity giving focus' on getting, giving selfishly. Our motivaiton should be to please God,not ourselves. What the Lord blesses us with after we give is gravy on top of our heavenly reward.

Greed! People think that the more they give, the more they will get back. The Lord will always bless you with what you need which is not always what or how much we want. Seed-faith giving is not a bad thing. Plant the seed and just watch the blessings come They are not always in a monetary fashion. Plant the seed. God promises that if you give He will bless you. Plant the seed and expect that God will follow through with His promise and will give you exactly what you need.

Some people are rich, some people live in poverty. That is the way that it is but no matter what our lot in life is we are to PRAISE THE LORD and believe He will give us what we need.

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE ABSOLUTELY, PASSIONATELY LOVES YOU!!!

How can a prosperity doctrine threaten christian ministry? In what prime

motivation in us does a teaching often appeal.In balance, what does the bible teach us about poverty and riches?

Prosperity doctrine, first and foremost, is an unhealthy doctrine. It appeals

to the flesh, which desires a materialistic lifestyle, leading to the downfall

of one who is truly seeking the will of God in his life. Prosperity is the world's

definition of success, but it will never fullfill the VOID in a person's life.

Money is not the root of all evil, but THE LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all

evil. "Love not the world , nor the things that are in the world; if any man

love the world , the love of the Father is not in him".

The prime motivation is the motivation to please the **** of the flesh.

God tells us the balance about poverty and riches is summed up in the

passage, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be

added unto you".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I couldn't help but read the responses to this question before answering! I was amazed and impressed by some of them. Any doctrine, taken out of context, can threaten christian ministry. Especially if your expecting to

get rich and you don't! Or healed and you don't, or....

We have to take all of scripture and not just part! Gods

word has said, He will give seed to the sower! Are you a giver?? Then God will provide! Are you desireous of wealth for your own personal gain? The love of money is the root of all evil! Give me neither poverty or riches, but what you would have me to have Lord! That is what the Bible teaches. He will meet our needs according to His riches! Doesn't say with money! Paul knew both how to do without and to have plenty, and in both he gave thanks!! May we also as we grow in Him learn both how to be abased and to abound! Always giving thanks to our Heavenly Father from whom comes every spiritual gift!!

• 1 month later...

How can a prosperity doctrine threaten Christian ministry?

I believe we are speaking of wealth here but if we are speaking of prosperity in our riches in knowing Christ Jesus then preach on. If we are speaking of when we know Christ we will be prosperous financially there are no Bible promises to support that. We may lead some into the fold for the benefits but they will leave when the benefits do not materialize or when persecution and suffering occur plus make us to be liars thereby bringing disgrace onto our Lord.

To what prime motivation in us does such teaching appeal?

Our worldly sinful nature which is at enmity with God.

In balance , what does the Bible teach about poverty and riches.

Whether we have a lot or a little we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind and soul.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

:rolleyes: Q1(4:11-12) Prosperity Doctrine is FALSE teaching and is mostly taught by Prosperity teachers and False Pastors and Shepherds only out for themselves! If you are sitting in a Church which Teaches Prosperity Doctrine,check out the Pastors Lifestyle, is he Humble,gives to the Poor, Charities Etc ?- I dont think so! Matthew 6:19-21. Matthew 6:24. AMEN. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

It promotes materialism more than spiritualism. It takes your eyes and trust off Christ and fastens them to some shiny object (idolatry). Our self-centered old man desires materialistic pleasures, so it's a battle for many. THe bible teaches "Seek first the Kingdom of God and everything else will be added to you". Our spiritual prosperity matters to God, not our physical prosperity - God is interested in our character, not our comfort. Jesus learned perfection through suffering, who are we to think we'll escape such things?

• 1 month later...

A PROSPERITY DOCTRINE CAN THREATEN CHRISTIAN MINISTRY BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE MISTAKENLY BELIEVE THAT'S WHAT THE KNGDOM OF GOD IS ALL ABOUT.GOD DOES WANT US AS HIS CHILDREN TO BE BLESSED BUT IT'S BECAUSE HE WANTS US TO USE OUR RESOURCES TO BE A BLESSING TO OTHERS.IT IS GOD THAT GIVES US THE POWER TO GET WEALTH BUT TOO MANY PEOPLE FOCUS ON THE WEALTH AND NOT GOD.A PROSPERITY DOCTRINE CAN LEAD TO GREED AND CAUSE PEOPLE TO GO ASTRAY, SEEKING THINGS INSTEAD OF GOD.

SUCH A TEACHING APEEALS TO A LIFE OF CONTENTMENT AND EASE. WE MISTAKENLY BELIEVE PROSPERITY IS THE ANSWER TO ALL THE ADVERSITIES WE FACE.PROSPERITY IS APPEALING TO THE CARNAL MAN; IT APPEALS TO OUR SELFISH NATURE AND THE DESIRE TO HAVE MORE AND MORE. BUT THE MORE PEOPLE HAVE, THE MORE THEY WANT. THEY ARE NEVER TRULY SATISFIED BECAUSE ONLY CHRIST CAN SATISFY.

PAUL SAID THAT IN WHATSOEVER STATE HE FOUND HIMSELF IN, HE LEARNT TO BE CONTENT.THAT'S TRUE BALANCE IN THIS LIFE. THAT'S THE SECRET TO SUCCESS IN LIFE.WHEN WE LEARN THIS SECRET TO CONTENTMENT, THEN WHETHER WE ARE WELL OFF OR HAVE JUST ENOUGH, WE WILL NEVER STRAY FROM OUR GOD BECUSE OUR FOCUS IS NOT ON WEALTH OR ON OURSELVES BUT ON HIM.AMEN!! GOD BLESS........