JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?

It is rare because there are not many willing to give up their own wants to make sure others know the truth of the gospel and that he does this willing to go where he is sent and do whatsoever is ask of him for the spreading of the word and to bring forth the best in those he is with to show them to worship and obey the word shared with them.:rolleyes:

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

He has shown me that no matter the job if it be sweeping the floor or dusting the seats it is all of great importance to him. I for one did not want to work with children, some are called to this job others are not, I was not but they had no one to take the nursery. I did not feel physically able to do it. After much prayer and since it would not be open I knew God would help me to do it. I now keep the nursery during the sunday school time every sunday. I am blessed the children are wonderful and I have fallen in love with each one. God always knows best when we will just listen to him. Everyone needs to have time to hear the word of God and this is my way of letting the moms that deal with them all week be fed by the teachers. Thank you Jesus for opening my eyes and showing me how to take care of them again. :wub:

Jesus, others and you what a wonderful way to spell joy. Hallelujah.

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

I sometimes feel that some church leaders hold them selves a little higher than everyone else. When you do it makes it hard to care about the needs of those in your church. It takes alot sometimes to step up and do what ever it takes to be able to speak out abuot Jesus.

I have a real love for little ones. I have taught babies in the nursery during sunday school our for years. I have no trouble talking to them. But my problem is talking to there parents or other adults. I have always been shy. I know that God is still working on me with this. Cause its getting to be a little easier than it was. But still havea long ways to go. :rolleyes:

Many church leaders start out selflessly to do the work of the church. Often, when one does a good job, they get praise and it can work insidiously to cause the recipiant to believe he deserves it! When they then don't get a pat on the back for something they've done, they are hurt. Sometimes a pastor feels he is the owner of the church, even though he/she is only there for a period of time. The congregation owns the building and should also feel they are the "owners" of the church and its business. :unsure:

As a missionary, I have had to realize that the work and its results are totally His! It has sometimes been hard to accept that any results of what I did were not MY results--only His Spirit can change persons--not my trying! So, I had to be willing to do His will, and leave any results to Him. Also, I have worked very hard when giving reports to supporters to avoid sounding like what I report is glorifying my ego--not Him! :rolleyes:

I have not been around this board for a while and boy does this hit home after my experiences in the past 10 days. Not at church but at home. Basically I have been going around pointing the finger at my husband saying you have made me feel bad therefore I don't want to behave very well towards you. He then turned round and said he was walking out because of my behaviour. Some wake up call! Now no matter how dreadful he is I am trying not to repeat that behaviour and put him first no matter how much he hurts me. Trouble is some of the things that have hurt me for a long time now have not disappeared. I still had the physical symptoms of an anxiety attack yesterday due to his words but I still have to get on and love him and not retaliate. I would leave if I was sure that God wanted me to do but until he says give up and go I will stay.

From my own experience it is very difficult to keep going and going when you are being hurt one way or another. No one who gives out in leadership can avoid being hurt by the things that their imperfect flock does. What is needed is a way of dealing with it so that it does not cause any unnecessary hurt. Prayer partners, spouses, close friends even journals have a role in that situation. What is also needed is communication saying what has upset them in such a way that it brings improvement in behaviour rather than more hurt. That is not easy.

It is really difficult to keep going and going without venting your own feelings. I have seen pastors vent their feelings about situations from the platform and it has been ugly. The pressure became too much and off they went. The lesson in this is that everyone needs the opportunity to vent their feelings somehow. The way that I am coping now is writing my feelings down at a time of my choosing so that my husband can read them at a time of his choosing. The way that I used to cope in one really bad situation was to talk to someone who then caused me more problems by the way they dealt with what I told them.

We are part of a body and there is only one head i.e. Jesus the rest of us have to work together as a team. There is very little that we can do without affecting someone else. Rather than knocking down we should be building up but it is not easy.

The God who knows us will give us the strategy to deal with situations. The one he gave me was to stop protecting hubby by not expressing my own feelings but to tell him what I really felt. I am now doiing that.

Susan

Lesson 5 Q 1

(a) Timothy's selfless concern was so rare among church leaders because Timothy allowed Jesus to thoroughly work through him. He was an effective leader who took genine interest in others. He was not self-absorbed or seeking power and control. Timothy had true divine love for people.

(B) The things that Jesus has to deal with in my life that has helped me to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others is teaching me the basis of Christianty: Tithing; listening; love; etc. Jesus has also helped me with jealously and envy. He is working on me. Amen!

© He has refined me by letting me fly alone like an eagle. I am a low-key person, with no close friends at the present time, seeking and learning about Him, doing work for Him when the doors of opportunity open.

Timothy's selfless concern was rare because he genuinely cared for the church and it's people. Sometimes men will do the work of a pastor for the pay or the recognition. Or if they start out with real concern and things go well than they may get the big head and forget that it is all God, they are only the vessel He uses. Yet with Timothy it wasn't this way, he had agreat mentor and a mother and grandmother who had taught him the faith from infancy.

1a.) (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?

1a.) As Paul writes, Timothy had genuine interest in the welfare of the followers. Paul stated all of the others were looking out for themselves.

1b.) (2:19-21) Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

1b.) Spiritual pride. The Community Bible Study on the book of Romans has been a big help for me in checking this sin.

1c.) (2:19-21) How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

1c.) I continue to face the everyday life trials, my daughters illnesses and anxiety for almost six months, the death of my father-in-law this past week. The Lord has been our refuge and strength and I pray he will move mightily through my extended family.

It is rare today to allow Jesus to be total ruler of our lives allows us to serve him and be selfless. When we serve "other" things we're not serving God. We have our jobs, families, hobbies etc. that fight for our attention and by serving them we're serving our selfish needs, not God. Personally, the Lord had to hit me over the head with a 2 x 4 to pull my attention away from worldly things. I am still afflicted today, but my perspective has changed. I can honestly thank God for the affliction because it brought me back to Him. Now that the major obstacle has been removed, I have other obstacles that need removing. The experience has not only brought me back to Him but has made me depend on Him and get strenght from Him. Even in my afflicted state, I am better off now then when I wasn't afflicted.

jjI agree that those in leadership, whether ordained leadership or as the acknowledged lay leaders, do have to really struggle with pride and feeling superior. It is not possible to truly love, truly value, truly understand, or truly minister the gospel to anyone to whom you inwardly or outwardly condescend. The Bible says all are equal because we all alike fall short of the glory for which we were created. That has to be held onto minute by minute or pride will creep in and destroy the ministry in any one of its myriad myriad ways. Any church leader who loses that perspective has made him or herself the enemy's plaything until they again choose right thinking on the subject.

God has had to deal with me by freeing me from seeing church leaders as somehow better than me. He has had to teach me what he taught Martin Luther from the Epistle to the Hebrews, that Christ's death completely tore apart the curtain separating the individual believer from personal access to God and made every individual believing Christian a priest, a member of His royal priesthood, and no office that the church can confer on some members is as great an honour as what God has conferred on each and every member.

Realising this has had an incredibly transforming effect on my life. I am to act on his behalf not just as a consumer / recipient of the Christian faith but as a priest offering my own sacrifice for my sins and the sins of the world. This has humbled, emboldened, heartened and challenged me more and more every day. Every one of us is a leader of the church. None of us should be watching from the sidelines what "the leaders" or "the clergy" are doing on our behalf. Each of us needs to grow into the full stature of the role that Christ has reclaimed for us in the moment of His own sacrifice for our sins. Each of us needs to be a church leader, not just those on whom the church has bestowed that designation.

Church today has become "man's own agenda." We have gotten away from the purity of the Word of God. We have books and plays and sermon topics that do not always edify God. We are all quick to run to people and other books - - before we run to God.

Currently, the Lord is taking my wife and I through stripping. I have lost my job and at my age it is becoming increasingly hard to find another. He is providing our needs day by day and it is truely glorious - to watch. I can get to a pity party for a moment, but then I must get outside myself and look to helping others. As Rabbi's say, there is always someone worse or something worse in our lives, than our experience.

Paul and Timotheus, were servants of Jesus Christ, and he (Paul) sent this letter to all the saints in Christ Jesus, who were in Philippi. He was letting them know that they were always in his prayers, and he was thankful for them being steadfast in their works. He reminded them to stay in the word of God, and not the traditions of what men teach.

Philippians 2: (1) If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies.

(2) Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

(3) Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

(4) Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

(5) Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

(6) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

(7)But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.

Timothy worked with Paul in spreading the gospel, and he (Paul) was sending him to see how they were doing.

(19) But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I khow your state.

(20) For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state.

(21) For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.

(22) But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

Timothy WAS NOT going there to point fingers, he was going to see how they were doing.

Epaphroditus, was also a companion and a fellowsoldier, he was also the messenger of the Philipphians, until he got sick and almost died.

(25) Yet I supposed it necessary to send to Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants.

(26) For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick.

(27) For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.

(28)I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful.

(29) Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation:

(30) Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.

Paul is asking them to make sure that they show him brotherly love, and show him the highest respect, because he almost died, doing the work of Christ, and he didn't for one moment think, about himself.

If we DON'T listen to the TRADITIONS of MANS TEACHING, stay in the word of God, and do the will of God, we will without a doubt, have no trouble doing what ever we can for others, SELFLESSLY.

Timothy'sselfless concern was rare indeed among church leaders even in those days, where Paul's example of leading the church in a tent ministry (Paul took care of his needs by tent-making) was the supreme example of asking nothing, giving everything. Of all the people Paul had a hand in training, Timothy seemed to be the one who caught Paul's selfless love for the church. Others had a restlessness to be back omong their own kind. Some had to be reminded constantly to love more difficult church members and not be in dispute with them. Even today I get a sense that some church leaders are in there trying to impress others, build large communities, get a huge following - just check some of the mission statements! Why this should be so difficult to find seems odd, considering that Jesus' command is to do to others as you would like them to do to you. I bellieve if we all focussed on this with any sensitivity, things would change dramatically in the churches.

When I first met Jesus I saw this vision of living life in LOVE, rather than for selfish purposes. This idea excited me greatly as I was in great difficulties at home, aged 18, Even though I left God for several years, still the vision He had planted in me made me sure that "People matter more than things". I always wanted to treat people as if they mattered more than anything else that one might become absorbed in. Well, I took years to work myself out and return to God. Then, in seeking to serve I was abused by the church as a whole, yet there was this certainty of the way Jesus was, and the way I needed to conduct myself as a church member. A friend gave this great example - If there are twenty in a room and each is looking after himself, you have one person looking after your needs. However, if twenty people are looking firstly after the needs of the others, then you have nineteen looking after the needs of each one. This seems to be a better situation. It confirmed my thinking.So my thinking is OK. but have I always visited that one with troubles, concerns, illness, children in Children's Church? This is where I find I have fallen short constantly. There is always something more important to do. Yet, when you do get around to doing what God puts in your heart to do, it is always a most rewarding experience! But how exciting it is when you see it happening! Men are being brought to Men's meetings, people checked on during the week when difficulties are known, Actual help is being offered - jobs, etc. This is how lives are changed, how people get new visions, patterns. Though I speak like and angel..........If I have no LOVE I am a sounding brass or a crashing cymbal. How I long to see people taking the time to do the loving!

Actually I have become a little disillusioned that I will see real love in these modern day churches. Time just doesn't allow for it! So my issue has become "TIME FOR THE PEOPLE" In my third third of my life, I have decided that people need time, and therefore that is what I have to give. Home hospitality, time for cups of tea and a chat with some encouragement, a game of monopoly with a teen or child, these are the things missing today and this is what I can give. Watch out! Grandmother at large!

Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church Leaders?Rather

than pointing your fingers at others in the church, consider yourself?What

things has Jesus had to deal with in your lifethat has helped you to become

genuinely selfless and showing as concern for others?How has He refined you.?

Paul was an excellent teacher to have brought up Timothy in the faith,to

have more concern for the body of Christ than for himself. Paul knew

that sending Timothy was the same as if he was there, and Timothy was

like-minded with a genuine concern for the brethern.

Before we look upon the faults of others, we must first examine ourselves

and our consistency or lack thereof in our own christian walk. We are all

children in the faith, depending upon the Father to direct our daily walk

in the faith. INstead of seeing faults in others, we should see how we might

strenghten the body. Gal. 6:1 says, Brethern, if any man be overtaken in a

fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness: considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

God continues to refine me by placing persons in my life that seem to be

like sandpaper, to refine my rough edges and remove the dross.

:rolleyes:

Timothy genuinely cared for these people in the church. He was not looking for others to love him. He didn't want anything for himself while the church leaders knowingly or unknowingly are seeking to elveate themselves above others.

Perfectionism-everything has to be perfect and I must be perfect or I am not effective. I know in my heart that I cannot be perfect and I have to fight it because it has a bad effect on me too. Also, I tend to believe that I am better than anyone else. Not because I am a minister but because this is how I was raised. Believe it or not having the last name King has a lot to do with it. I fight that feeling everyday because I know I am no better than the person sitting in the last pew who isn't sure they want to be there. I know that by trying to be a humble servant of the Lord I set an example for others to see. Also, I used think that I had to carry all of the load. I am a control freak. Everything falls on my shoulders and I am very reluctant to give some of it to others to handle. I have learned that I can't do it all. It has made me physically ill at times. I now keep only the things that fall under my "job description" and a few other things and I let my leaders do the rest, usher control, greeting, programs, getting music together things like that. Once I learned to let that stuff go to someone else my stomach stopped aching.

Every once in a while God will allow something to happen in my life to knock down a peg or two. (I don't mean this in a negative way.) At times we all need a little re-direction. At times it seems as though He has hit me with a 2x4. He has taught me that I am to "strive" to be perfect and let others see so they may learn. When I begin to get "puffed up" he deflates me and humbles me so that I can serve Him better and become selfless as He is and so I can focus on helping others. My deacons are very loving and kind but have no trouble in telling me what they think. Thank God it doesn't happen as much any more. :unsure:

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE REALLY LOVES YOU

This is a challenging question. Selfless concern among church leaders is rare because we are all human with personal desires, ambitions, and expectations. It is easy to point a finger at other church leaders, but remember, when we do point a finger at others, there are three fingers pointing back at us.

Even though I know better, I find that I still wrestle with this problem. It is really hard at times to die to our own concerns, needs and expectations to concentrate solely on the concerns of others. We should serve solely to do the Lord's Will. But, it is often hard to get this head knowledge down to our heart.

Lord, help me to be a leader who is willing to serve both you and others selfishly.

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?

His concerns were not self centered. He had a genuine love and concern for others and their needs, unlike some Church leaders that do their work just for the praise they hope to receive.

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

The Lord had to deal with the fact that I was very self centered and my focus was on my needs and wants and on the things of this world.

How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

The process has begun. My focus is now more on Him and not on myself and my wants. Of course it

Timothy was interested in the welfare of others. He had a great concern for the people. He had a selfless love for others. He had a spiritual maturity that none other had. He was mentored by Paul.

By being a Sunday School teacher, I have to remember that I was once a child too. I want every little mind and heart to know Jesus so I will take time to explain things over and over if necessary. I am still being refined.

:rolleyes:

Here we see Timothy's total faith in Jesus Christ and his devotion to the Jesus's final commandment. Hence his selfless application for the cause of the gospel and in the process his loyalty to Paul, his mentor. He is not coveting to any post or elevation but only the furtherance of Lord's kingdom. Such leaders are rare in the present day churches/organisations because the world has come into the church instead of the church going into the world.

In my own case, I have learnt to humbly avoid any situation, putting me into aspiring for church leadership, but wait upon the Lord for his guidance. Also to respect and co-operate with the leadership, as no authority is given except by the Lord. Now I realise that peace and love are more important in the church to fulfil it calling.

I think it was rare then as it is today because of our human tendancy of selfishness. I have caught myself being selfish without intending to or realizing it.

I found myself enjoying the accolades of others about what I did "for Christ". I realized I did a lot of things because I thought they were the right thing to do but God didn't really call me to do them.

The Lord showed me that the scripture that speaks of laying down one'

s life for another isn't just dealing with one's physical life, but our life within. It means doing something for someone you don't really want to do because they need it done, sometimes little things like visiting with someone you don't find very interesting, or looking after someone's child for them when you really don't want to etc.

Timoth's concern was only for extending the kingdom by giving all of himself in the service to the church.

Many church leaders want to satisfy their own ambitions rather than humbly serve the needs of the church.

I spent many years thinking that I had all the answers to life

Timothy took a genuine interest in his Christian brothers and sisters.

He was concerned with their welfare. He was a companion to Paul and a comfort to him during his imprisonment. Paul would often send Timothy to deal with sensitive church problems.

Timothy wasn't self-absorbed nor did he have any hidden agendas like many of the church leaders at that time. Many of the church leaders looked out for there own interests. Timothy cared about those he minister to.

Thru the years,the Lord has gradually led me to work with children's ministry.

I usually use one of my vacation weeks to help with vacation bible school at my church. For the past 2 years I've been involved in Awana.

I didn't choose to work with children. God chose for me.

• 1 month later...

Why was timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Durning this time most leaders wanted control and the glory for themselves. Timothy was the shinning example of how we should have selfless concern for others.

Rathers than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to genuinely selfless and forcused on the concerns of others? unforgiviness! Which I have worked on with Jesus help, and I have successed! Praise God! So now I can reach out!

How has he refined you ? He still is.