JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Discipleship and Imitation

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul boldly encouraged others to imitate him because he was completely sold out to Christ Jesus in every way. He was aware of his own faults and unafraid to honestly say so. He submitted every part of himself to Christ and modeled the thoughts and ways of the Savior. He lived out the upward call of God in Christ Jesus and left a reliable example worth following.

Whether I like it or not, I'm an example. How I conduct my daily living is constantly saying something about my relationship to God. This is a tremendous responsibility in representing Him to family, friends, the young women I teach in my Sunday School class. Like most everyone else, I hesitate to encourage people to imitate me because I know how far I fall short of the call of God, how much I hold back from Him, how unyielded my thoughts and ways are, and my pride doesn't want to let all that be exposed. But then, that sounds a bit like some of Paul

Paul was operating on a clean conscience. He not only talked the talk, he walked the walk. I'm hesitant to tell others to imitate me because I know I still have some not-so-good habits that I need to get rid of. I also feel that I should be perfect before I would ever make such a statement and I know that won't happen on this planet. The best teacher is a model. Who would imitate me? Unfortunately, I smoke, so I would say heathens.

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him? Why are we so hesitant to do this? How does God use imitation in building disciples? Who is likely to imitate you?

Paul was sure of his walk with God, he was confident that he had the mind of God and he was sure of his calling in leadership of God's people.

I am hesitant to do this because I know all my faults, if I invite people to imitate me they will be looking at me closely, therefore seeing all my "warts" and I wouldn't want them to follow me in areas that I still need to work on.

He uses imitation in that we see and recognize in someone the life of Christ being exemplified, we desire to follow the same path.

My adult daughter imitates me all the time, and when others ask her how she knows something in the Lord she often tells them I taught her. Most of the time I don't even remember teaching her. It is very humbling and scary.

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him?

He could say this because he knows that it is not him but the Christ in him that people see.

He has learned how to die to self. It is not I but Christ.

If people imitate him it will be that they are imitating Christ

Why are we so hesitant to do this?

We know that we have not died to self so people will see us not Christ.

Who is likely to imitate you? Your children will imitate you. It is convicting when you see them do things that you hate about your self.

3a.) (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him?

3a.) I think Pickledilly had a good part of the answer. Paul was completely sold out for Christ. He knew the freedom in Christ and wanted others to know it. Bumps, bruises and all...come just as you are.

3b.) (3:17) Why are we so hesitant to do this?

3b.) It is an awesome goal to represent our Lord in this world. We are not always satisfied in our witness.

3c.) (3:17) How does God use imitation in building disciples?

3c.) Learning by doing builds the best memory. Practical examples prove to be the best method. This is how Jesus discipled.

3d.) (3:17) Who is likely to imitate you?

3d.) My children. The ol' apple does not fall far from the tree. :unsure:

Lesson 7 Q 3

(a) Paul can be so bold as to ask others to imitate him by Paul focused his life on being like Christ. None of the Gospels had yet been circulated, so Paul could not tell them to read the Bible to see what Christ was like. Therefore he urged them to imitate him. Paul his living his life now, wanting to know Christ fully.

(B) We are so hesitant to do this because we make mistakes and fear keeps us back.

© God uses imitation in building disciples by giving us Jesus to imitate. What an example!

(d) Likely to imitate me: my family, friends, Sunday School Class, whoever I come in contact with.

Paul lived what he believed and was an imitator of Christ. He was a full grown mature adult, moral in character and living up to what he had already attained. He was always striving to be more like Christ.

By being an example, God wants us all to humble ourselves and to disciple others. If we do wrong confess it and ask forgiveness and go on. We must live the christian life as imitators of Christ.

All of those I come in contact with, especially my sunday school class, grandchildren, and small children. Children are great imitators so we must live Godly lives so they will be impressive in their imitations.

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him? Why are we so hesitant to do this? How does God use imitation in building disciples? Who is likely to imitate you?

Because Paul knew it was easier to follow by example that to try and go it alone. And he was not afaid to show others by how he lived his life for Jesus. :rolleyes:

I think we hesitate becuase we know we have things in our lives that doesn't always show Jesus. :(

How does God use imitation in building disciples?

Seeing how others are living for Jesus helps us to see what we need to do so that we can make changes in our lives so that others can follow it.

Who is likely to imitate you?

I work in my churches nursery. And the little ones i watch, i know are watching to see what i do. So i want to be careful that what i do will show them Jesus. That when they get old enough the will choose to make Jesus their LOrd and Savour. :rolleyes:

One reason I believe Paul could be so bold is because he had been on each side of the journey. Before Paul was converted he was seeking out Christians to kill them. After his conversion he was totally commited to Christ and truly walked the walk, not just the talk. Paul was spending his life seeking to know more and more of Christ. Paul stayed single in order to devote more time to Christ.

I believe we are hesitate to do this because we are afraid of making a mistake, but we are still in the flesh so we will make mistakes, but if we are truly seeking Christ our life will lead others to Christ.

God's way is to use imitators to build disciples, first by Christ coming we are given a true example. Christ is our example and as others walk with Christ and live according to His ways they become examples to others. That is why God's Word says to tell our kids and to walk upright in front of our families, so we can be living examples.

Your family is the first to imitate you and if your life is focused on the Lord they will want what you have.

Because he had lived what he preached. He was sinful, to the point of executing believers, but he saw Jesus and was converted and made an about face. In Jewish thought back then the teacher/rabbi would have disciples/talmidin that followed the rabbi and wanted to emulate their behavior. I believe that Paul was saying, following me - - because I am following Jesus - - be like me - - because I strive to be like Jesus, truly a Rabbinical apporach.

We hesitate for fear of rejection of people or perhaps because we know in our hearts we need to be better at our walk. The closer we walk to our Lord, the easier it will be to be boldl, to tell others to follow in our ways.

I pray that the groups I lead will desire to be more like me because they see Jesus instead of me. :mellow:

Paul was sure in his standing with God and with all he has been through he knew in whom he believed and was persuaded that he was the follower of the Son of God, Christ Jesus. He had been tested and found worthy to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ he did so boldly.

We do not think ourselves equal or worthy to stand on the same ground that Paul stood on. We do not hold ourselves equal to Paul. We are all of the same body just different parts and most of us think we are lowly parts of the body and not worthy to take the same stand Paul did for Jesus and his word. We also fear what others will think or say about us. We all need to read the book "Its Not About Me".

How does God use imitation in building disciples?

Jesus was and is our first example of how to live and to be a disciple. There are many others all through the word that are wonderful examples also like Abraham and Job and Elijah and so many of the profits come to my mind at this time. We too should be an example for others to see Christ Jesus in us.

Who is likely to imitate you?

Those that are younger watch the ones that teach and do things for the Lord. Your children learn from what you do and so do other children in the church. I do not know who they are but I do know that there is always someone out there keeping their eyes on you to see how you will handle things and they learn from us. If we fail do we repent quickly as David did and admit our mistakes and when we accomplish something for the Lord do we boast and draw attention to ourselves?? :blink: Well I pray we don't we have no glory it is all for Jesus and none of us will ever be perfect as he is and always will be. I pray I am a good example for them to see. :rolleyes:

1. Paul has imitated others as he has developed his Christian life. In particular he has imitated Jesus Christ. When he was first called and led blind to the house of Ananias, he stood totally paralysed in his spiritual walk, knowing NOTHING!. He received the love and ministrations of those for whom he had intended death. He spent days with the disciples at Damascus, LEARNING. LEARNING. LEARNING.... This, of course, was followed by his time in the desert with God. There was much to imitate, including love for your enemies! This continued until Paul himself became a mature followr of Jesus, and I believe, longer, as he saw their invincible faith.

2. We have a lot of questions as to our suitability for imitation - in other words our development as Christians. I think our society tends to grow twofaced Christians and we often have some guilt in this regard. If we have guilt on our consciences about our true devotion to Jesus we will not ask others to imitate us. Paul was sure of his relationship with Jesus after many years of persistent seeking Him, and wanted to share the results with others, wanted to fellowship with others in this regard.

3. It is very difficult to learn new behaviours if we cannot see them in other people. We learn mostly by imitation, initially when we are little children in the physical, and secondly when we are little children in Christ. This is the reason why hospitality is so vitally valuable. We ned to see great Christians in their own homes living wonderfully and victoriously in their families. These are the people chosen for elderships by Timothy under Pauls instruction, and this is the way new Christians can best learn new styles. Hospitality is the greatest way to encourage and build new Christians.

4. Those who love coming to my house are most likely to imitate me.

Paul was aware that he had matured in his faith, and that the people around him would be well advised to emulate him. He knew that he was not perfect, but he was also aware tat he was advanced way beyond most others. We, for the most part, are lacking in the certainty Paul was instilled with. For this reason, we are embarrassed to offer ourselves as models of Christian maturity.

Jesus showed us by example as well as taught us how we should live our lives.

I feel that recent converts, immature believers and youth are likely to imitate me. Thoughts like that should be enough to keep me on my toes..or on my knees!

Paul is grounded in Christ. He knows that he is not perfect but he can still be an effective witness.

We are hesitant because of the unknown. What will happen if I step out in the same kind of faith that Paul has and tell others to imitate me. What if I get it wrong? What if I stumble and what if I fall? When people claim salvation they think they have to be perfect examples which is impossible...just be the best example you can be.

The Bible...we are to imitate the disciples and apostles, how they lived their lives for Christ. He also puts people in our lives that we can imitate until we are ready to take our own steps. Also God helps us to learn from our mistakes so we can help others from making them.

Who is likely to imitate me? If I am lucky, my dog. :rolleyes: As a minister I pray that I am worthy of having others imitate me and learn how to become one who can be imitated.

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE REALLY LOVES YOU!!!

How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him?

he was very proud of Jesus and wanted to share hom with as many people as possible. witch he needed help with so he asked for that help by educating others to help him spread Jesus' WORD

at 1st i was for i didn't want to be ridiculed, by humans (foolish han?)

then the more i learned of Jesus and talked to him the less i cared of what others thought of me. and the more endurance i had.

How does God use imitation in building disciples? Who is likely to imitate you?

if you past the tests of others and they acctually see you doing what you're talking about then they'll know that's it's not just a lot of hot air. also (the loudest squeek gets the oil) like the parabale of the woman who needed to talk to the king. she continued to come every day no matter how long it took till he gave in and saw her. hopfully if you don't give up on people and keep praying for them there might be a chance that they'll give Jesus a try and you've got them hooked.

How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate Him?Why are we so hesitant to do this?How does God use imitation to build disciples?Who is

likely to imitate you?

I believe Paul was highly qualified to ask others to imitate him; afterall, he

had this marvelous encounter with Jesus on the damascus road. He met

truth , face to face. In reality, once we have an encounter with Jesus, we

should never be the same; but take up our cross daily and follow Him.

We are hesitant because we fail to let go of the flesh, the world and the

pride of life. I notice that a lot of the forum wanted to disqualify themselves

as good imitators. I believe this is wrong; God sees the value in you as well

as the areas of your lives that God is working on. YOU ARE A WORK IN PROGRESS; accept who you are and let the spirit of God bring about the

maturity in you.

God uses imitation to build disciples, because we truly need to see those who press on in their christian walk, even when the going is rough. They

see the prize and are unrelenting in thier desire to please God.

I do hope that at least my children will imitate me in my daily desire to know

Christ and the plan he has for my life

P.S. Please pray that I will find my ministry in my local church.

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes: Paul has totally surrendered to the call of Christ Jesus and his implicit obedience has enabled the Holy Spirit to guide him and strengthen him in his zealous ministry for the Lord Jesus Christ. He has surrenders his body, mind and spirit. And therefore asks us to follow his example in leading christian life and be a part of the fellowship. His past did not haunt him and torture him, which we should learn to follow.

It is difficult for me to ask anybody or even family members to follow my examlpe as I was not always a good christian example. However I am pressing forward with the high calling and endeavouring to live a life worthy of my calling.

I found out that it is always good for me to follow or imitate a saintly christian,spiritually mature person, for guidance. My children are grownup and I hope and pray my children and grandchildren imitate me in their christian walk.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul could ask others to imitate him, because, he followed God closely, and knew there was no reproach to his walk.

We may hesitate to say this about ourselves because we question ourselves to much! I know I look to others and seek to imitate them in their walk! How else could I ever learn to do it just right? I thank God for christians worth imitating!

• 1 month later...

HOW CAN PAUL BE SO BOLD TO ASK OTHERS TO IMITATE HIM?WELL,HE,S BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT,AS THE OLD SAYING GOES.HE HAS EXPERIENCED LIVING FOR CHRIST JESUS.SO,HE CHALLENGED THE PHILIPPIANS TO PURSUE CHRISTLIKENESS.

PAUL COULD NOT ASK THEM TO READ A BIBLE.THERE WAS NOTHING LIKE THAT,AS TO WHAT WE HAVE TODAY.HE ASKED THEM TO BE LIKE HIM,BECAUSE HE WAS A FOLLOWER OF JESUS,AND LOVED JESUS.

I MYSELF HAVE KNOW IDEA WHO WOULD IMITATE ME.I AM SURE THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WATCHING ME.I JUST PRAY THEY SEE CHRISTLIKENESS.AMEN

• 2 months later...

PAUL WAS GROUNDED IN HIS FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST. HE WAS SINGLE MINDED AND VERY FOCUSED ON WINNING THE PRIZE SET BEFORE HIM. HE WAS SOLD OUT TO THE LORD AND AS A RESULT OF HIS DETERMINATION HE WAS BOLD ENOUGH TO ASK OTHERS TO FOLLOW HIM BECAUSE HE FOLLOWED CHRIST. WE HESITATE TO DO THIS BECAUSE WE SEE ALL OUR SHORTCOMINGS AND ARE AFRAID OTHERS WOULD LAUGH AT US OR RIDICULE US IF WE WERE TO SAY SUCH A THING.

GOD USES IMITATION IN BUILDING DISCIPLES BECAUSE WE LEARN BEST WHEN FOLLOWING EXAMPLES SET BEFORE US.I THINK HE USES IMITATION BECAUSE WHEN WE SEE THE BOLDNESS IN OTHERS TO OVERCOME LIFE'S CHALLENGES DESPITE HARDSHIPS, WE REALISE WE TOO CAN BE IMITATORS AND DO GREAT EXPLOITS FOR OUR GOD. MY 15 YEAR OLD SON IS MOST LIKELY TO IMITATE ME, AND I PRAY MY UNSAVED SPOUSE WILL TOO....GOD BLESS.....

• 9 months later...

Paul knew that he was being taught and led by the Holy Spirit. He had received an abundance of revelations and visions from the Lord and through his trials and tribulations he had the experience to apply that which he had been instructed. He then was confident that his words and actions could be imitated for their accuracy.

My hesitancy in having others imitate me has always been that I would not be an accurate reflection of the Lord. That dissipates with spiritual growth.

As we are to be like Christ we are His ambassadors and are His representatives in this place. The Father needs us to be His imitators so others can aspire to be with Him.

The ones most likely to imitate me are new believers and the more feeble members of the body. A great responsibility indeed.