JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

I speak with love towards God... and do not use His name in vain...

What desecrates and besmirches it?

A profane vocabulary, or using His Name in vain. Speaking of HIm without the respect that belongs to HIm

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

We should approach the Father with thanksgiving, respect and awe...

The Bible says to be holy even as God is holy. To me, this means that as we go about our daily lives, our words and deeds should reflect the holy character of our Father in all situations. When we line up our words and deeds with God's high expectations of holiness, we begin to hallow His Name. I feel we desecrate or besmirch His Name when we fail to live in accordance with His laws and teachings, profess to be Christians and live totally opposite to what Christ Himself has taught, and when we use the Name of our Father in vain. When we begin to pray, we should recognize that His "Name is excellent in all the earth," and we are praying to an uncompromisingly holy God Who is fiercely protective of the reputation and holiness of His name and demands that we reverence it.

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our

Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow"

the Father when we begin to pray?

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our

Father?

By living our lives in a way that shows our love for him. :rolleyes:

By doing and saying things that brings dishonor to his name. :(

By thanking him and letting him know how much we love him. :rolleyes:

we hallow the name of the Father by :

offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving and praise in the midst of trials and battery of tests and tribulation, in all season of our lives, in our aloneness or being with loved ones and friends.

we desecrate His name:

by murmuring, dissatisfaction, in the midst of God's abundant provision, not allowing God to kae residence of all aeras of our heart.

Praise the Lord everyone!!!

Hallowed be thy name addresses the attention of the prayer toward God and reverence for His name and His person. Hallowed (Gr. hagiazo) means to be held in reverence and awe of holiness. God's name was so sacred to the Old Testament Jew that it was never pronounced by human lips. Thus His name is the expression of His very essence. The biblical usage of the concept of a name is a characteristic description of the basic character of the person whom the name is applied. Since the prayer is directed to our Spiritual Father, only a child of God who has been born again can rightly pray this prayer.

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

As Christians we bear the name of the Lord when we act disrespectful or take the name of the Lord lightly or in jest we are not holding that name holy. This may be taking it to the exteme, but I grew up in a very small town and my family was well known. My grandmother was always admonishing me not to do anything that would bring shame on the family name. I think if I remembered that more as I went about my daily life I might walk more circumspectly.

When we hallow the Father's name before we pray it brings us into a state of reverance and awe of the majesty of our Lord and therefore also reminds us of His authority and leads to an attitude of worship. I quote I have on my living room wall is, the power of worship is that it reinstates God's authority.

Everything we say and do either honors or dishonors our heavenly Father. We honor Him by our obedience, worship, and love. We dishonor His name when we curse or take His name in vain. A habit of saying such things as "Oh Lord" or "Oh my God" as exclamations take His name in vain and are not honoring to Him.

To "hallow" God's name when we begin to pray, I think it's important to realize that our loving Father is mighty and holy. Reviewing the names of God that He has revealed in Scripture help us to know His character, such as: The Lord Who Heals, The God Who Sees, The Creator, God Most High, The Lord Our Righteousness, etc.

As a Christian I bear the name of Christ. I'm to reflect Him in all that I do. I "hallow" His name as I give others a glimpse, a fragance of Him.

Sometimes, by word, actions and re-actions Christian's stink; they reveal to the world their selfishness and unloving spirit, and that is a descration of the holiness of the Father's name.

The more we come to know our Father the more we will see and understand Him as holy. I hallow His name when I pray by recognising, and maybe even, thinking and reciting verbally, who He is, and also, in seeing my own lowliness in relation to His holiness.

When we use words such as faithful Father, loving Father, holy and righteous Father we are honoring God. As we worship Him by calling His many names such as Jehovah Gibbor, Adonai and Jehovah Nissi we are expressing our love and appreciation to Him for who He is. When we offer unto Him the fruit of our lips by expressing praise and adoration to Him we are hallowing His precious name.

The times when we flippantly mention His name in conversations as expletives desecrates His holy name.

We hallow God's name by recognizing that it is holy and by being sensitive to it's profane use. I cringe everytime I here it used profanly (which is a lot considering "soldiers" mouths). It's desecration, at least on my behalf, is accidental and I almost immediatly feel horrible for using the wrong word. We can recognize its hallowness in prayer, by structuring our prayer with an attitude of respect. I guess one could equate the difference in structure to a person addressing a good friend to a person address another person in authority. God is not our buddy, he is our father and is therefore the foremost authority in all aspects in life. Such a position requires a great sense of respect and humility.

We must recognize that God's name is holy. He is above us. He is a holy and righteous God and this demands our respect. He is over all.

When we use His name in vain it dishonors Him. We should be very careful to only use His name to bring honor to Him. When we pray to Him we must recognize who He is and that He created us. He is the creator and we are the created.

Using God's name in vain or at any time other than in praising Him, desecrates His name. To "hallow" the Father, we should clear our minds of worldly care and bring to focus that God is holy and exalted and we should respect Him for this. We need to put ourselves in the "right frame of mind" so to speak. Keeping ourselves in this frame of mind all day shows our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father.

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

All that we do and say should be done to show respect to God because he is Holy. How we talk, how we do our daily work, how we interact with others. When we participate in acts that displease God we are not respecting his holiness. If we do not do our work to the best of our ability or complain and grip, even if we are not "as bad as the rest". We shouldn't measure ourselves by the worlds standards but by Gods. When we pray we need to remember that God is all knowing, all powerful and respect him.

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

I try to live my life so that it reflects Jesus. I think this would is the best way to hallow my heavenly father.

What desecrates and besmirches it? My sin and trying to do things my way.

Having an understanding that we are nothing but filthy sinners and we will be in hell someday, but for his love. We are nothing compared to God, are best deeds are nothing but filthy rags to him. He created the world; the smartest man cannot even create a one-celled ameba.

We should consecrate our lives as we are children of the Most High God. This "sets us apart" from the world and hallows or sanctifies our lives for His use.

To besmirch His name would be to live contrary to how He instructs us to live and to bring the world to blasphmy Him by our lives and actions.

We hallow His name in prayer when we are obedient to His instructions and call upon his name, pray in our "secret" place, as appropriate, pray earnest prayers and not ask things in vain and not in His will.

By our words and actions we should hallow God's name. In other words our behaviour and speech should tell people that we are 'different' from them. How we react to situations and what type of conversation we will listen to or take part in. This would identify us as part of the Family of God. God our Father would want us to listen to his guidance in all things.

In my life i feel that i help to hallow the name of our Father by teaching my children to not use His name in vain ... when they say, "Oh God!" or the like I always tell them that they should not do that and explain to them why not.

Telling children they shouldn't use His name in a disrespectful manner, but then using it in such a mannor yourself.

By giving him recognition and addressing him by His name

Hallowing God's name? We do so by the way we approach God with respect and reverence. Our communication with HIm.

We desecrate and besmirch His name by using His name in vain and by using it in connection with foul language.

We hallow His name when we pray by recognising who He is. By addressing Him appropriately.

Everything in our lives that is holy hallows the Father's Name. This is because other people are constantly watching us to see if we are holy, seeing that we talk so much about God!

Everything that smirks of compromise, loss of integrity or purity, or lacks kindness, thoughtfulness and love is a blot on God's holy Name, again because people are watching to see what God's people do. They are longing to see true love in operation because they long for that in their lives. God is love, and anything short of that in us damages His holy Name.

When we begin to pray we need first of all to recognise the position and status of the one to whom we pray. Queen Esther did this when she meekly approached her king/husband with a beautifully prepared dinner. She had a request of him, and it was important to re=establlish relations with him seeing that he had not called her for over a month. Our God never leaves us for this or any other amount of time. However, we need to be well aware of His high position with regard to us. This usually takes the form of praise and thanksgiving, various forms of appreciation of His Person and who He is in relation to us. We are in effect setting the stage correctly. Queen Esther prepared her person and body beautifully before approaching her king. So we need to prepare ourselves in holiness and righteousness before our God - for He cannot otherwise respond to our prayers, yet He says "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much" (He Himself being our righteousness through the blood). All this while at the same time knowing Him intimately as Father. He is the Father we both fear and love! All this takes time, so we need to set apart the requiredtime so that we are not hurrying through, but cherishing each moment spent with Him.

i think my lifestyle hallows my father as i am helpful towards others and try to put them and their needs and besmirch himby trying to do things my way and only consult him when things don't come right and by telling him how much i appreciate him and all that he does for me , who he is in my life and what he represents in my life is the best way for to tell him and show him that i honour him because he honoured me first by choosing me first

thx matsidiso queench from cape town , south africa