JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Contending for Righteousness

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom?

Would God destroy the righteous with the unrighteous. "Shall not the God of all the earth do right"

How does it relate to God's character?

That God is a righteous God.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom is not His judgement but His mercy. Abraham does not say that there are any righteous people in Sodom or Gomorrah, he allows God to be the judge of righteousness, he asks God "if there are fifty righteous people in the city". But God's mercy does not come without test or why would He send the angels to Lot's house? Genesis 19:15 At the crack of dawn the angels urged Lot on: "Get up! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away in the punishment of the city." 16 But he hesitated, so because of the Lord's compassion for him, the men grabbed his hand, his wife's hand, and the hands of his two daughters. And they brought him out and left him outside the city. And at times, "are you certain of your choice test"; 26 But his wife looked back and became a pillar of salt.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. "We have choices presented to us by God, so did Lot and his family. God in a differant way gave Lot a choice between life and death, Lot made the right choice. We too are given the choice between life and death, I pray that all would make the right choice but fear that many will not.

Darrell

Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom?

Abraham's argument is that God will not kill the righteous and the wicked alike. He will spare the place to the sake of the righteous and not destroy it. He ask him about his mercy. He tells him he is not like other gods that he has mercy and he knows of Abraham's love for Lot and all Abraham has done to protect Lot already. He know Lot is a righteous man and that he lives is fear of the Lord even among the wicked Lot still lives for the Lord. He took the easy way out when him and Abraham parted because there was not enough to feed the flocks. Lot chose the way that looked the easiest so that shows that Lot put himself before Abraham but still there was love of family there a loyalty to the family. Abraham loved Lot and the Lord knew this and he would have spared the wicked for 10 righteous. But there was not even 10 to be found. God already knew there 10 would not be found but he still talk to Abraham and assured him he would spare them if he found them. He is a just and merciful God. What was Abraham thinking? :rolleyes:

God is a just God he lets the wickedness go on for the sake of the righteous. He loves those who love him and he will not let them be destroyed with the wicked. God will allow you to come boldly before him to make a case for the righteous that you love and he still today. God will talk to us still just not face to face he talks through his word we need to speak it boldly back to him. He will do what he says he will do. This world we live in now is to the point of being as Sodom was then we have to expect God to do something to stop all this sin soon. I do believe the signs of the time are there for us to see and we will see Jesus soon. This world is doing the same as they where in sodom so what else can we expect from a righteous God?

:wacko::rolleyes:

Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom? How does it relate to God's character?

I love Abraham's boldness and confidence going face to face with God in intercession for the righteous. He knows God is just and fair in judgment and will push the limit. Abraham prayed based on his knowledge that God is mighty and just and could not perform an act that was not in line with those principles - he didn't pray on man's behalf - i think he prayed on God's character. Abraham knows God.

If Abraham knew the righteousness of God so well why would he question Him on it? Did he think God was headed to Sodom & Gomorah to destroy the unrighteous & righteous in such a rage He could not think straight so he had to remind God that He would be destroying righteous people also? I think we need to be careful when we declare events like the 9-1-1 attack, the tsunami & Katrina as God bringing destruction upon the world in the same way He brought destruction on Sodom. Many "righteous people" were killed during those events. How do you explain to non-christians that a just God would destroy "righteous" & innocent people to make a point?

I see Abrahams speaking with the Lord, not in the sense that he was arguing, but rather pleading with Him. "If their are 50, 40, 30, 20, even 10, would you destroy them, as well? Surely the Lord who is rich in mercy and loving kindness, who had been so good, and patient with Abraham, would not deal so harshly with others!??? A question, a petition, on behalf of Lot and his family, yes...arguement, I don't think so. Because in that sense He is appealing to God's merciful nature and his request is granted. I think it's awesome that Abraham could stand face to face with the Lord, as did Moses, and boldly intercede for others. Puts me in rememberance of the scripture in Hebrews" Come BOLDLY unto the throne of grace, knowing we shall find mercy there and grace to help us in our time of need!" Now thanks to Jesus, we to can stand before our God and Boldly intercede for others!!!

Abraham's basis is his firm conviction that God is a just God and He will not allow injustice to prevail in His kingdom. He has experienced the Lord's justice in many ways and so Abraham bargains with God boldly for the lives of his kin, Lot and his family. The Lord will allow persecution, trials and tribulations in one's life so that the particular individual may increase in his personal faith and spiritual strength. That's the stepping stone for the Christian to leap forward in faith. God is a just God and He will take care of the righteous ones according to His promises in the Bible. That's why Abraham is so caught up with saving Sodom atleast for a few righteous characters, if available. :rolleyes:

God's character is just and righteous. He never allows bad things to overshadow His children. Even if He does, its only for a positive purpose of increasing thier faith. So Abraham's argument or bargaining with God perfectly gels with God's inbuilt character. :D

Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's agrument that God should spare Sodom?How does it relate to God's character?

To save as many righteous people as may be there. God has promised Abraham that if he will trust and obey Him, that he will be a great nation. Abraham must be a just and godly man. God knows that Abraham will do what is righteous. And so, Abraham expects God to be just Himself. "Don't kill the righteous along with the ungodly." It relates, because God is righteous. He cannot commit sin. And Abraham classes the killing of righteous people to be sinful, and so he tells God how he feels.

These studies are teaching me that I must be more bold and persevering when I pray for my loved ones who are still lost. First I must pray for a bold and persevering spirit in me. I have to learn that meekness is good when you are trying to settle a dispute, but that boldness, tempered with fortitude are needed when we are praying about something that means a lot to us. And realizing that it means a lot more to God.

Dear God, what an awesome, wonderful, omniscient Father You are.

Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom? How does it relate to God's character?

There might be righteous people there who would be destroyed with the unrighteous ones. God is righteous, so how could God destroy the righteous with the righteous?

God is righteous and does not punish the righteous along with the unrighteous ones. Of course, He does not do this in this instance, either. God spares Lot and his family, although his wife looks back at the city, something God told them not to do. Obviously, her heart remained in Sodom, so she did not escape God's punishment.

That it would be worng to kill the righteous with the wicked and that God must treat the righteous justly. God knew that there were not many innocent people in the city but he was mercidful enough to let Abraham intercede for the sake of the few.

This is a very special moment as few people have stood face to facewith God and lived,so here we are able to witness a very special relationship.

Abraham was absolutely aware of God's righteousness.

Not from stories or scrolls but out of his interaction with him.

In this conversation we see God reveal his righteousness and his love for all things righteous.We also see an aproachable God who is Willing to consider the request of the righteous Abraham.

We also see mercy and grace towards Lot and family.

Aabraham pleaded that, though the wicked deserved destruction, that there were some righteous in that city who did not deserve destruction, and that the city should be saved for their sakes.

This argument assumes that God is fair and treats men according to their deeds - righteous or otherwise. It is based on Abraham's personal knowledge of God as a righteous God.

The basis for his argument is that God will not treat the righteous and the unrighteous the same. God is a righteous God and also a merciful God and shows grace towards those who have a heart for him. Even for the wicked, he has an amazing patience, tolerating their activities until the wickedness reaches its fulness and judgment must be administered. What an amazing and loving God we serve! How wonderful it is that Abraham is called the friend of God!

Abraham is pleading for Lot's family, and perhaps any other's that may not be worthy of the fate planned for Sodom. The basis of his argument is that the ultimate punishment planned for the city is permanent and Abraham is appealing to God's goodness and mercy for the sake of His own name.

God's charachter is Holy. He demands fairness, and so He himself must act fairly.

THE BASIS OF ABRAHAM'S ARGUMENT WAS TO SPARE THE RIGHTEOUS AMONG THE PEOPLE OF SODOM. HE KNEW THAT EVERYONE THERE WERE NOT JUST THE UNJUST, BUT AMONGS THE UNJUST WERE ALSO THE JUST.

GOD'S CHARACTER STANDS UPON HIS WORD. TO SPARE THE RIGHTEOUS FROM PERSECUTION. HIS CHARACTER ALSO EXPECTS HIS PEOPLE TO DO THE SAME THING. TO FIND THE JUST WHERE THERE IS MUCH INJUSTICE.

What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom? How does it relate to God's character?

Abraham knows God is a just God and because of that he is asking God to spare others who are faithful. God sent his son to save us because he is not willing for any to perish. He always givs us a way to escape the coming doom.