JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Persistence

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

As the people of God we must be persistence in our prayer life.

Jesus has taught us in his word to pray with out ceasing.

Prayer is the engine to get us through all the adveristies we face in life.

I have been in many situations that I needed to have my prayer life elevated. I could not make it without prayer

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham intercedes for the righteous by:

1) Appealing to the promises the Lord as has made to those who remain righteous and steadfast.

2) Perserverance in righteousness during intercession reflects the true desire and intent of the heart.

3) The Lord delivers and protects those who are righteous and obedient. The two angels were as watchmen, sent to warn Lot of the coming judgement and to deliver him and his family.

4) It is by grace that we are delivered and protected. He portects those who are obedient.

In praying through, we pray in confidence - we believe that we have received that which we pray for and if we are truly praying within the will of God - it will be so. It is done.

In what why does Abraham show persistence? Why is presistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham was presistence in that he went from asking that 50 be saved to 10 be saved.

Presistence is necessary because it shows that you believe in what you are praying about and that you have "Faith" in Yahweh who is righteous and just.

YES!!!! It was awesome.

Abraham keeps coming back to God with a smaller number. God want to know we are serious about what we ask for. I am in the middle of some prayers now I ask God to give me the faith enough to pray them through.

He kept coming back to God with a lessor number of righteous. So God can show us our hearts - He knows our hearts - but prayer is so we can know our sincerity sometimes.

Yes - i am currently unemployed only able to secure temporary jobs and i am being persistent in prayer before God - on my face - for His will in my life.

After asking the Lord to spare the city of Sodom for the sake of 50 righteous people, Abraham realized how difficult it would be to find that many in such a wicked place. Five more times he asked God to reduce that number, until it was down to ten. Five times! To keep asking like that really was bold and very persistent!

If Jesus taught us to stay with it and be persistent, then it surely must be important. Sometimes the delay in seeing an answer is a test of my faith. Sometimes it may be interference from the Enemy. Sometimes it may be a matter of timing. Sometimes the Spirit has to change my heart and fine-tune the prayer I am making. Only the Lord knows, but my part is to continually cast everything on Him. Human nature tends to forget after a while and get complacent. In our day, we are used to

Abraham shows persistence through the bargaining that he does with the Lord God. From 50 souls down to 10 he goes on bargaining with the Lord. And the best part is, the Lord goes along with him. That shows that our Lord God loves to have two way communication with His children, and that He loves to engage Himself with His children in more ways. Its not a cat and mouse game that the Lord God is playing with Abraham, but He is interested in saving souls as much as Abraham. Though Abraham's main concern was for his relative Lot and his family, the Lord God wants us to intercede for many non Christians who are His creation, thereby giving them a chance to escape the great judgment day.

I am learning to 'pray through'. Its a difficult proposition for we 21st century Christians who want everything in a 'fast food' kind of atmosphere. We want everything in a jiffy, but the Lord says it will be answered in MY TIME. Praying through teaches us (me) patience as well as persevering in prayer through intercession. What a great lesson on perseverance.!!

He continued to call on God's help, noting that God's reputation would be faulted if He destroyed the good with the bad, etc. God wants us to know Him well enough to be persistent in praying according to His will. Just willfully demanding that God be a santa and give us what we desire, even though it is not according to His nature, is not being persistent. It is being a willful child, untrained in the knowledge of the Lord! :o

I'm still praying for my 56 year old daughter who turned her back on the Lord in college. I'll keep praying until she finally returns to Him. "Train up a child in the way he/she should go and when he/she is old, he will not depart from it." I know it is His will that all be saved, so He will bring her back to Him eventually. (It doesn't specify how 'old' the person has to be to return to Him!) :huh:

In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham is persistent by coming back to ask God again and again. I think persistence in prayer (if we are praying for the right reasons) shows God we are truely seeking his will. It shows our commitment to whatever we are dealing with. I have experienced "praying through" when we were in the process of making a big land purchase and somethings were not coming together quite right. I remember praying continually tha

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence?

Abraham asked of God until he felt at peace with his request. He started asking about fifty people, and then, evidently he didn

He continues to ask God to be forgiving for the sake of less and less Godly people but in my own mind his prayer is really for his brother Lot and for his own love of Lot. It surprises me that he is not praying for those who might turn to God by some cause or does he not dare to assume that God already has decided all is beyond salvation for these people.

Why is persistence necessary in prayer?

We come to God first in our own mindset, praying amiss and if our hearts are open God will answer us with what we should have been praying for. In this case the actual prayer of Abraham's heart is answered in God allowing him to get Lot out of Sodom.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Emotionally debilitating

In my view Abraham's wish to retain the city of Sodom without destruction by God, is understood by his appeal to God for 5 times. Am in a position to think, do I stand before God and appeal for my kith n kin not to be destroyed in the judgement? I dont do so. I learn to do it now.

Moreover God's wish is done though we interfere several times not according to his wish. But He is a loving God who reads our desire and tries to make it accomplished. As per the desire of Abraham God escaped Lot and his family, but Lot's wife overrides that and fell a prey in the destruction.

I keep on praying for my friend to be blessed by a baby for years. I dont know when God will answer my prayer. By Abraham's prayer I've learnt that I should continue to pray for others and also need to try to understand God's wish by persistent prayers.

Abraham had ask God not just once to save Sodom for the sake of the righteous but he went from 50 righteous men to the number of 10. He had already took an army and went and saved Lot from destruction and now he did not desire to see God wipe out the place where he lived. He loved Lot as a nephew more than most love even their children today. People just do not spend time in prayer talking and listening to God they way we should and the way Abraham did.

God does not forget what we pray the first time. But there are times when we take a prayer half hearted before God. Maybe a church member is sick and we would like to see God heal them. How many times a day, a week or even a month do we bring their name before the throne of God. He knows our hearts better than we do. If we persist then he knows we truly are doing intercessory prayer for that person.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"?

Yes

What was it like?

Awesome feeling when you have ask God for a soul to be saved and in your mind you think they are so evil what if even God can't reach them. Then to see them in an alter praying. WOW God can do all things even the ones we think might be the hardest. That is the ones that he will show us by doing for us. We need to stay in prayer for our families, friend and those that we are around daily. For all the ones we go to church with that need healing. That is another sorry that would take way to long for me to go into on here. But I will say this God still heals opens blind eyes and makes the lame to walk again still today. Thank you Jesus.

Abraham found that he had favour with God to make a request for his nephew Lot. This gave him courage to keep on until he was sure that enough righteous people could be found to save Sodom, and his own family. He did not perceive that God was seeing something else. God saw Abraham's heart to save his nephew from the fire of Sodom. He answered Abraham's heart, not his stated prayer to save the city for the few righteous. He didn't actually answer Abraham's prayer in the form that he prayed it, yet he fully answered that prayer and saved the righteous from death.

But Abraham persisted in prayer until he felt that his nephew was safe. We too must persist in prayer until we have knowledge of God's answers. Then we can give Him the glory.

Probably the best experience of praying through I have had was when I bought my home and recognised instantly when I'd found it. It was very peaceful - I felt utter peace! When I finally moved in and found that I had wonderful neighbours as well as the right house I knew that God was taking great care of me.

ABRAHAM SHOWS PERSISTENCE BY NOT JUST EXCEPTING A NO ANSWER.

PERSISTENCE IS NECESSARY IN PRAYER FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

(1) IT DEMSONSTRATES A STRONG DESIRE TO SEE THINGS THROUGH.

(2) IT SHOWS FAITH FOR WHAT ONE BELIEVES IN.

(3) IT SHOWS COMMITMENT.

(4) IT ILLUSTRATES A STRONG WILL.

(5) IT CONFIRMS A YEARNING OF PASSION FOR THE ISSUE.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"?

YES, I HAVE EXPERIENCED PRAYING THROUGH.

What was it like?

PRAYING THROUGH IS LIKE HAVING SOMEONE AROUND TO TALK TO THAT REALLY UNDERSTANDS YOU.

PRAYING THROUGH HAS BROUGHT MIRACLE IN MY LIFE. IT WAS OPENING A DOOR WITH A MAGNET AND WATCHING GOD DO HIS WORK.

PRAY WITHOUT CEASING. PRAY DAY AND NIGHT....I DID IT NOT REALLY ON PURPOSE BUT AFTER WARDS I UNDERSTOOD THAT NOW WE MUST NEVER GIVE UP IN OUR PRAYER BELEIVE IN YOUR HEART AND HOLD FAST.

FAITH IS BUILD WHEN WE PRAY. ABRAHMAN KNOW THAT GOD WOULD HEAR HIM AND HE ACTED ON THAT

He continued to ask God for saving the city for fewer and fewer ones who were not evil. We need to persist--to begin with--because God has told us to pray and not give up. It also shows that we feel this is according to God's Person and if He did otherwise, it would be contrary to His Person and would cause evil to win. Or, at least do wrong to His Name. :wub:

I can't share the results of not following my deep feeling of being led because it would bring others into the picture. As far as "praying through", I have not experienced this per se. :o

In praying for Sodom and giving the "numbers" to God until he saw something happen

Persistence keeps us in touch with God. The answers come more quickly. Yes, I have. and still do when I need to see the answer soon. It is like a calm comes over me when I see fruition of prayers. God is so merciful and sees to it that justice prevails.

If Christ is EVER interceding to the Father for me, I think I can take a few minutes or however long it takes to intercede for someone else.

Abraham shows his persistence by asking God over and over if he would spare Sodom with fewer and fewer righteous people could be found there. God did not show anger, but patience, with Abraham for his persistence in his requests. I don't think he would be angry with us either if our motives are right.

I have been praying through for my sister since June. She had breast cancer surgery, and she has been going through chemotherapy treatments for two months. I have tried to relinquish her to God's will. I will continue to pray as she has four more chemotherapy treatments of a different type and then radiation. I will pray that she can be cured and that the cancer will not return.

He shows persistance by first asking if there are 50 righteous, then 45, then 40, etc. He was checking I think the boundaries of God's mercy. What if there are only 10? What if it was just Lot? Would God spare the cities for them? God does not spare Sodom and Gomorrah, but He does spare the righteous...because there is no limit to the depth of His mercy...which causes me to stop for a minute and pray for my friend Judy Bonnet, a wonderful christian woman with a ministry to people coming out of homosexuality...Lord there is no limit to your mercy, and in your mercy, will you lift up my friend now LORD, at this the 11th Hour and Heal her Father??

I guess I am praying this through, I have been praying since the diagnosis on her 60th birthday...I will say that it isn't easy, this praying through, and waiting to see how God will respond. I believe God heals, know that He can, yet I don't know the number of Judy's days...only God knows. And I will pray through, until I know.