JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Praising God's Greatness

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thine, O Lord is the greatness, and the power.and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and the earth is thine: thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all."

"Majesty...worship His majesty..unto Jesus be all honor power and praise....so exalt lift up the name of Jesus"

when the words... or the tune of this song is played..or remembered..it raises my spirit to exaltation...

"all praise to Jesus...all praise Emanuel...King of King Lord of Lords almighty King..and through all eternity we want to praise Him..we will praise our Lord throughout eternity!"

I could begin by attributing to Him the characteristics of strength, power, glory, and complete awesomeness!

This can be found in Matthew 6:9-10.

Paul Colman - The One Thing

Tree 63 - Blessed Be Your Name

Traditional - Praise Him, Praise Him

Holy, Holy, Holy

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

I try to start all my prayers with Father I honor you, I praise you, and I love you Father

Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer?

I just copied this post from servant4life from the study of the Lord Prayer

servant4life

Praise the Lord everyone!!!

Hallowed be thy name addresses the attention of the prayer toward God and reverence for His name and His person. Hallowed (Gr. hagiazo) means to be held in reverence and awe of holiness. God's name was so sacred to the Old Testament Jew that it was never pronounced by human lips. Thus His name is the expression of His very essence. The biblical usage of the concept of a name is a characteristic description of the basic character of the person whom the name is applied. Since the prayer is directed to our Spiritual Father, only a child of God who has been born again can rightly pray this prayer.

What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

The Hillsongs are a modern view of Gods greatness.

When I speak of the amazing attributes of God in my own prayers, I am speaking them and their power right into my life and circumstances as I am reminded of Who He is. I am recognizing His ownership of everything in all the earth, authority over all things that concern me, His faithful care to provide for all my needs, His constant attention to His good and perfect will for me. I think it would be a good idea to pay very specific attention to each element of my prayer and match it up with a specific attribute of God, being dependent on His glory and greatness in the specifics of my life. Knowing and praying the names of God (which reveal His attributes) would be awesome.

Jesus began His model prayer with this kind of praise as He confessed God as Father, reigning over His kingdom from heaven, whose name is to be revered and honored. Classic songs like Holy, Holy, Holy, El Shaddai, and Majesty are wonderful expressions of praise. Some of my favorite newer songs right now are by Chris Tomlin, who has written some powerful worship music with thoughts straight from Scripture, like God of Wonders and We Fall Down. Two recent songs I love are Beautiful One and Holy Is the Lord. These words never fail to lead me into praise.

Beautiful One - Wonderful so wonderful is your unfailing love; Your cross has spoken mercy over me. No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart can fully know How glorious, how beautiful you are

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

Praying the Hebrew names of God always helps me to realize who God is. El Shaddai, El Elyon, Jehovah Jireh, Raphe, El Roi, etc. That makes it personal for me and I realize how great and holy and wonderful He is because He is there in every aspect of human and heavenly need.

The Lord's Prayer is all about God - Our Father, in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thye will be done, Give us this day our daily. Forgive us, etc.

Favorite songs - a hard one - they are all great -

Be Thou My Vision

Ancient of Days

It is Wellwith my Soul

Holy Holy Holy

Great is thy Faithfulness

A Mighty Fortress

If i don't stop i will flood the posts

I think I might mention some of the names in the Bible which are given to God and Jesus in my prayers. There are many names given to Jesus: The Good Shepherd, The Lily of the Valley, The Bright and Morning Star, The Great Physician, etc. These names would be reminders to me of the greatness of God and Jesus.

Some of my favorite songs that remind me of the greatness of God and Jesus are:

Holy, Holy, Holy

How Great Thou Art

More than Wonderful

Without Him

Majesty

When I get up each morning and look outside my bedroom window I cannot help but praise God for His glory and majesty, because there displayed for me are magnificent plants, a blue sky (usually, or the much needed rain), exquisite lilttle birds enjoying the feast God has prepared for them, two dogs running and leaping with joy, and my heart "leaps up" (to quote some poet who loved rainbows) in praise of His display of love for us His children. Then I think of what it cost to redeem me to Him to enjoy Him, both in the present and for eternity. I am in love with Him. I am ecstatic. He has been totally faithful to me since conception when He promised me that (He showed me this) through the long years of my anger and foolishness, and constantly I must praise Him for He is my joy and delight. It is fun and wonderful, each day, to spell out the blessings God has poured out on me, and praise His wonderful Name.

In the Lord's prayer, the first lines include "Hallowed be thy Name". This is the line that indicates great praise and exaltation of the most high God, reverence deep and rich.

There are so many wonderful songs.

O, Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the works thy hands have made....

Immortal, invisible God only wise, In light inaccessible hid from our eyes, Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days, Almighty, victorious, Thy great Name we praise.

These two songs are my selection for my funeral (which isn't imminent by the way, as far as I know!)

O for a thousand tongues to sing my great redeemer'spraise, the glory of my God and King, The triumph of His grace.

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

The Lords Prayer starts by speaking of God being holy. I try to start my prayers first by praising God and thanking him for all he has done for me and my family and all that he is going to do. I try to remember to mention the beauty of the world around me. The stary sky, awesome sunrises and sunsets. The way they light up the mountains around me. I have many favorite songs. Favorites change with the day and what might be going on that day. One of my current favorites is "Jesus, name above all names."

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

i always start my prayers with praise, then thankfulness, followed by asking for forgiveness for my sins.

in the 3rd line...halo be thy name. meaning that he is holy. can't be touched by anyone

i don't have any favorite, as long as it sings of GOD it's there for me. i can say though that the harder it is to sing the more i get a feeling from it.

Q3. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

He is awesome, He is unchanging, He is faithful, His truth is everlasting. We can never over praise Him. We do not know enough words to praise Him properly. But we will, when He takes us home!

He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Your Rod and Your Staff, they comfort me.

Amazing Grace, What A Friend We Have In Jesus, It Is Well With My Soul.

Lord, You are so awesome! You care about mankind--even though we are so careless about obeying You and Your directions to us. May You Holy Spirit show Your might through my life as I dedicate it to You. In your greatness, even through my faulty life, bring honor and glory to You and Your Kingdom! Amen. :wub:

In the Lord's prayer,

"Hallowed be Thy name.

Thy Kingdom Come

Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

Forgive us our trespasses

deliver us from evil

Thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever!"

So many songs!

"Allelelu, Allelelu, Alleleluia"

"Spirit of the Living God"

"This is the Day"

"Jesus, Jesus, Jesus"

Any number of the Gaither songs. :lol:

I might honor Him for His creation(s), the Heavens, the earth, the skies, the stars, us, etc; acknowledging His great power alone to accomplish all that is.

I think I must try to do this when considering other things to say, besides Him always being Holy. Not to minimize Him being Holy, I just feel rote in that prayer too much, and seek other ways to describe His Holiness.

Our God is an awesome God!

Praising God in prayer

Heavenly Father, We praise your creation and thank you for salvation through your son Jesus Christ .......

(Psalm 28:7)

Blessed be the Lord,

Because He has heard the voice of my supplications!

The Lord is my strength and my shield;

My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;

Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,

And with my song I will praise Him.

God is Good

Hymns:

Joyful Joyful, We Adore Thee

How Great Thou Art

Praise Him! Praise Him!

The Pearly White City

Hallelujah, We Shall Rise

Lesson 5 Q 3

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayer?

When I pray to God I always praise Him first, then I mention that He is The Lord of lords and the King of kings. He is wonderful counselor, Prince of Peace and The Great I Am. I always tell Him that I cannot do anything without Him. Every good and perfect gift is from above! Amen!

Our Father, Hallowed be thy Name, for thine is the power and the glory, Amen!

Great is thy faithfulness

How great thou art

Love lifted me

Amazing Grace

Just as I am.

By doing the same, praising Him for what we see around us and what we see Him doing, expressing our thankfulness. Where it mentions that His is the power and the glory forever. The standards, How Great Thou Art, There is a Fountain, I See A Crimson Stream of Blood, Amazing Grace.

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute characteristics to God such as glory, honor and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

Sometimes when I can't sleep at night I will start going through the alphabet with praise from each letter of the alphabet (although some letters are a challenge). I also have some cards with scriptures to praise God that I will use to incorporate into my prayers. I don't feel I pray in anyway enough every day.

Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's prayer?

Hallowed be Thy Name.

What are your favoite songs that point to God's greatness?

I looked at the ones mentioned and love them all and would like to add

Wealth and Honor (1 Chron. 29 :11and 12) by Integrity Scripture Memory

(love it)

And Can It Be

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

God Bless !!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

To acknowledge him as our creator - that He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and head over all. Then to lift Him up and exalt Him and humble ourselves before Him with our words from a sincere heart.

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

BY MENTIONING ABOUT HIS GREATNESS, ABOUT HIS POWER, HIS MERCY AND HIS LOVE. I CAN ACKNOWLEDGE HIS AWE.

IT IS FOUND IN THE COMPLETE LORD'S PRAYER, IT ACKNOWLEDGES WHO GOD IS, WHERE HE IS, AND WHAT HE IS. IT ALSO ACKNOWLEDGES HIS WILL. ASKING FOR MERCY FOR US SINNERS.

HOLY, HOLY, HOLY

GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Father you are awesome, you are the most high God and there is no other God like you. Your are the Most powerful God; the Creator and giver of life. Blessed be your name on most high; blessed is your holy name; God of power and might.

Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness? Holy Holy Holy Lord are you God Almighty. Holy is the lamb that was slain.

For thine is the Kingdom the power and the glory.

1. By mentioning that there is nothing He can't do, for You O Lord are all powerfull, the Almighty, the One and Only, Praise be to You , for You alone are worthy

2. Kingdom, Power and Glory forever.

3. Amazing Grace, God is awesome God He reigns in heaven above..., How great Thou Art

Our father who art in heaven Hallowed be thy name.

the song

Oh Lord my God,

When I in awesome wonder, consider all the the things thy hands have made.

I see the stars,I hear the roaring thunder; thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul my saviour God to thee , How great thou art.

Each individual is different. We use different terms to praise and worship God. But the English language has some common terms to exalt the name of the Lord. Almighty, Powerful God, Omniscient God, Holy One, Everlasting Merciful God etc are some of the terms that I use personally.

The Lord Jesus in His model prayer said Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed by Thy Name, Thy kingdom come. Even Jesus, being the son of God, acknowledged the greatness of His Father and metioned that in his model prayer.

There are so many of them:

Great is Thy faithfulness;

How great Thou art;

Holy -3 Lord God Almighty;

Immortal, Invisible God only high;

Majesty worship His Majesty;

Ascribe greatness to the Lord our God etc.,

In much the same way he is Holy and Righteous we give all Glory and Praises to our KIng. He is Loving and he is our Maker our Master. Oh What a a Mighty God we serve. He is my everything more than enough for all his children. He is our Creator Life he is Jehovah, The Bread of LIfe, Faithful and True, All Knowing and All Powerful, Ever Present, Mighty in Deed, The Bread of Life that is only a beginning this could go on forever. He is worthy of all praises.

Our Father giving his the title as to who he is and all he is to us. Which art in Heaven lifting up his name to the heavens to let him and all that hear this prayer that he is real. Holy is your name. He is worthy of all praises.

What a Mighty God we Serve, God's Grace,Lord of Heaven and Earth,

Holy Holy Holy,Make a Joyful Noise unto the Lord, The King of Glory

My God Reigns, Worthy is the Lamb,I Go to the Rock,I was Created to Worship,Hollowed be Thy Name,God of Wonders, Lord I lift your name on High, Above All, Shout to the Lord,I can only Imagine to list a few of them I love. :D

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

After I read a re-read and re-read.... this praise of David's I realized that the only way I can begin to mention God's greatness, power, glory and yes fullness in my prayers is to have a greater desire for His presence.

David and all the people had just given a great deal of wealth so that a house for God could be bulit. (Then the people rejoiced because of their leaders' willingness to give, for they had given to the Lord with a whole heart. King David also rejoiced greatly. Then David praised the Lord in the sight of all the assembly.)

The house that Solomon was to build was not just a house of prayer and worship it was a house for God. David, his leaders, as well as all the people had a strong desire to be in the presence of the LORD. This attitude of the heart is also found in "The LORD'S Prayer " (Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done.') Yes, it begins with a sincere desire to be in the presence of God.

How can I begin to describe God with words? Even God had a hard time putting a description on Himself. So he told Moses, "Just tell them "I AM" sent you." How wonderful a description that is "I AM", not I will be or I was but "I AM".

God's power. splendor, and riches are on display where ever you look but His GLORY, His SON was nailed to a cross in order that His greatness could be on display through His Holy Spirit abiding in us. I think the way be begin to mention His greatness is by our desires which in turn reflects the way we live.

The way I see it is we must kneel in HIS GLORY before we can stand in His greatness in ordrer to reach His riches which are stored for us in Heaven.

Darrell