JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

Hezekiah did a very practical thing. He knew very well that this problem cannot be solved by armies or swords. This is a real gigantic problem which only the Lord God can solve. So the logical thing that he does is to go to the Lord with the message from the enemy and practically reads the letter to the Lord. The basic principle is to determine who we are. If we think that we are the children of the most High God, which He promises in John 1:12, then we have the assurance that our Father in heaven can take care of the bullies that rag us and tease us. Its a basic human reaction to run to our parents when troubles come.

Every Christian should apply this basic principle and hand over the problems to our Father in Heaven. We need not bother to investigate and discuss the pros and cons and try to work out a solution depending on our own strength and capacity. That will be dishonoring the Lord and His strength. When we try to solve the problems ourselves, we end up running deeper into the maze and hopelessly get entangled that it is impossible to get out of the mess. We end up having high tensions, BP and all accompanying physical ailments that shift our focus from Jesus to the problems on hand. We need to make a mental note that everytime a problem crops us, its best to take it to the Lord in prayer and He will take care of things according to His promises. His promises are true and they fail not.

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

Hezekiah is showing Yahweh that this is His problem, rather than trying to solve it himself.

What is the underlying principle here?

The Battle is Yahweh's.

How can we apply this principle to our own lives?

Reconizing that indeed the battle is Yahweh's and trusting Him to give direction.

What happens when we don't apply this principle?

When we don't apply this principle, we get discouraged, we will give up and we can't handle it.

"Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God to help us and to fight our battles." (2 Chronicles 32:7)

Who is my partner? What kind of a partner would I be if I didn't keep up my end of the partnership? And what kind of partner would I be if I tried to do my partner's job?

The first a foremost thing that King Hezekiah did was reunite with the LORD. (Do not be like your ancestors and relatives who abandoned the LORD, the God of their ancestors, and became an object of derision, as you yourselves can see.)

The second thing that King Hezekiah did was his job and the people followed his leadership. (They set to work and removed the pagan altars from Jerusalem. They took away all the incense altars and threw them into the Kidron Valley. On the appointed day in midspring, one month later than usual, the people slaughtered their Passover lambs. Then the priests and Levites became ashamed, so they purified themselves and brought burnt offerings to the Temple of the LORD. )

And the third thing that King Hezekiah did was trust in the LORD to do his job. (For Hezekiah said, "May the LORD, who is good, pardon those who decide to follow the LORD, the God of their ancestors, even though they are not properly cleansed for the ceremony." And the LORD listened to Hezekiah's prayer and healed the people.)

I have a small painting business and throughout the years I realize that God is the one who provides for me and my family. But it is through my customers that He provides. He knows my every need and when I call out to Him it seems like a painting job has already been planned ahead of my prayers. And on occasion when I thought God had not provided enough work to cover an unexpected bill late in December, a check for $350.00 arrived (a tip with a note saying, "I have been wanting to give you a tip for the wonderful job you did on our house.") It is not that I didn't try to get enough work to cover the bill it is that I couldn't. God had it taken care of and I just couldn't do His job.

There are certain things we must do and there are certain things that we cannot do. We cannot earn our salvation, God has already thaken care of that, but we must do unto each other as we would have each other do unto us. Are they related, you must ask yourself this question, "What is a partnership?"

God wants us to partner with him through Christ Jesus. In doing this we must shed the idols we worship such as personal success. I must admit as a business man I fall short of the shrewdness that is required to be very successful. On several occasions I have given work to, loaned tools to, and helped out my competition. Silly maybe but nowhere can I see that it is against the WORD OF GOD.

I read a government article that stated 80% of all small businesses will fail in the first five years. The biggest reason is because of poor financial planning. I looked at the financial plans of a painting business and realized that only God could send the work my way and only God could make the rain stop when I needed to complete an outside job. What control could I have in these matters? None, all I can do is the work God sends my way and do it to the best of my abillity!!!! I have been in business for 15 years without making financial plans, that is God's job.

I have seen other business way overcharge insurance companies, hire under-the-table to avoid paying taxes and workmans comp. and even subsidize their income by selling drugs. They have had it all and lost it all, but I realize that all I have is the LORDS and the plans are His.

WHEN WE TRY TO DO GOD'S WORK WE COMPROMISE HIS PLANS AND WE COMPROMISE OUR INTEGRITY.

Darrell

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

He is saying, Lord look what this guy says about you. What are you going to do?

God you make the decisions and I will just do what you tell me to do. Not my will but yours O Lord

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?

God is the commander and chief and we are just the servants of the Lord

Bring everything to God in prayer. Then spend quite time with the Lord so he can speak to us through the Holy Spirit.

We take control and try to do things by our own ability. Then it becomes all about us.

The significance of Hezekiah's spreading the letter before the Lord is that it is his way of revealing his total dependancy for help in a tangible way; this letter is an affront to the living God; nothing Hezekiah can do but give it over to the Lord.

The significance for us is to learn to do the same thing: hand our troubles, problems, challenges to the Lord and then follow his direction; seek his will and follow through with action. We have this need to be in control; feel out of control, especially if we have said "yes" to what seems like too many requests for help, yet if these are activities that God would have us do, then He will be there with us and give us the strength & energy to do His Will. He will also provide the financial resources to provide for our needs when we are generous with others who have needs that we are aware of.

This is something that I struggle with frequently.

The underlying principle is "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. Commit your way to the Lord and He will bring it to pass."

When I forget this, I become "stressed" and unproductive.

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

Hezekiah went up into the house of the Lord, and spread it before the Lord to let God see the letter he was looking at to let him see and to talk to him about what Sennacherib was saying about him and about God. He had insulted God and Hezekiah wanted to lay it out before the Lord what was done.

The battle is the Lords it is God that will do this for it God that got insulted and Hezekiah will leave this battle in the hands of the Lord. God will protect his own.

We go through battles daily and most of us try to fight them ourselves. We can win some of them and others we would be defeated. But when you take the battle to the Lord tell him all your troubles he steps in and your faith does the battle. God wins the battles that discourage and hurt us without all the suffering and pain we put ourselves through. Let God do it.:)

We get discouraged, down hearted and overwhelmed. We are nothing but with God all things are possible. Lord help me this day to leave all the battles in your hands because when we do the fight we get tired and sometimes lose out even with God. We get totally out of control and frustrated. :angry:

It was an open display of placing it all before God. An example of how we need to ay everything open at His feet, holding nothing back.

I'm sure we all have problems toataly giving everything to God.

When we don't, we aren't giving our full faith and trust. Then, since we're trying to "fix" it, it doesn't get any better.

We aren't allowing God's will to prevail.

The significance of Hezekiah's spreading the letter before the Lord is that it is his way of revealing his total dependancy for help in a tangible way; this letter is an affront to the living God; nothing Hezekiah can do but give it over to the Lord.

The significance for us is to learn to do the same thing: hand our troubles, problems, challenges to the Lord and then follow his direction; seek his will and follow through with action. We have this need to be in control; feel out of control, especially if we have said "yes" to what seems like too many requests for help, yet if these are activities that God would have us do, then He will be there with us and give us the strength & energy to do His Will. He will also provide the financial resources to provide for our needs when we are generous with others who have needs that we are aware of.

Q1. What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

He is saying to God, "I have done all that I can do in the strength that You have given to me. Now, Lord, if we are to survive, You will have to use Your hand to strike down this enemy."

Never try to work in your own strength. Take it to the Lord and leave it there.

When we have problems that frustrate us, we must go to the Lord for direction.

We will lose the battle because we have shut God out.

The Assyrians were too much altogether for Hezekiah. They had defeated everyone else in the neighbourhood and Hezekiah's resources did not look anything like adequate to deal with them. Therefore he took the problem to the Lord. There was nowhere else to go, and besides, Hezekiah's faith was in the Lord whose history of saving the Jewish peole was well documented.

The underlying principle illustrated here is that we are a beloved people and the Lord has the measure of all our enemies. Jesus told us to cast all our cares upon him because He cares for us, and here it is in the old testament (because God is the same for ever). We are blessed indeed.

We need to turn to God first in all our dilemmas,because He has the measure of all our problems, and is able to defeat them for us. HIS IS THE VICTORY! Yesterday, today, forever!

When we don't apply this principle we enter confusion and confusion reigns. It's no good! Bur God has designed confusion for the enemy! Praise His mighty Name! For His children He wants prosperity in every respect. Our trust in Him will achieve this because HE IS LORD!

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

To show God that he could not handle this on his own and needed his intervention. That the letter was an insult to God himself and demanded God's response. We whould not tty to solve any prolems or issues on our own but to palce it before the Loar and let the Lord guide us. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding"

When Hezekiah laid everything out before God, it was a demonstration that even though he and his city were immediately threatened the real attack was a spritual one against God. Hezekiah was reasonably sure he could not win the physical battle and he knew for sure he could not fight the spiritual one.

Hezekiah recognized that a military defeat would represent a spiritual defeat in the eyes of the world. As a man of God, this was perhaps an even greater concern to Hezekaih than the physical defeat of his city.

There are certain parallels in our own lives. Satan seeks to attack us and defeat us so that the name of the Lord will be ridiculed in the eyes of the world. We must not, of course, adopt the attitude that "the devil made me do it" and use that to sidestep our own personal responsibility for our sinfull actions.

With this in mind however, we would perhaps deal with sin issues, especially those which could totally defeat us and render us useless to God, in a different manner. There are times when we need to lay everything out before God. We would acknowledge our own sinfulness and seek forgiveness. We would also acknowledge that we are under satan's attack and that he wants to defeat and destroy us so that God's name will be brought down.

I find this encouraging as I face difficult attacks in my own life and from this perspective see the victory coming in God's hand and in His perfect time. I am no longer bearing the burden of responsibility for victory.

Hezekiah knew that the battle essentially depended on God. He brought the problem to God because the threat was against God, and he knew that God could handle it. Also he knew that "those who are with us are more and greater than those with Sennacherib", so he trusted God to act. :D

The principle is that we are to bring our problems to God, for He is our defense and will show us how He will deliver us from the enemy. then, we are to do what He tells us. We may not see how His way will work--but it does and will! :lol:

When we think we can do everything in our own power, we will fall, for we do not know what we need to do, nor can we do anything without His direction and His power! We must realize that we cannot do anything in our own power, and if we try, we are jepardizing God's reputation among the world's peoples!

:o

When Hezekiah recieve the letter from the enemy he was passionate enough not to reply in the same provoking manner as to whic this letter was written. he went to the temple with the letter and spreaded it before God, because he acknowledged God in all his ways. The principle I see here is on matter what the enemy through in our path God is already of and we are not to respond with the same attitude, but prar to God for the right respond. when we do not apply this principle we fall in the enemy trap.

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? The significance is that Hezekiah wants to show the Lord How a mere man, such as the King Of Assyria Sennacherib has insulted the Living God; That God is to be made aware that he should react or solve the problem.

What is the underlying principle illustrated here? The Underlying principle is that as a child of God; and a man of God Hezekiah that every sittuation before us is Gods problem is Gods problem and that we should allow him to solve the problems.

How can we apply this principle to our own lives? By making him the Lord of our lives that he must be made aware of all our sittuations and that we are totally reliant on him to decide for us in what course of action to take. When we actually believe that the battle is the Lord's to fight, then we let him be the general and just follow his orders. Yes, we're under the stress of battle, but not the stress of trying to play God.

What happens when we don't apply this principle? We are trying to solve Gods problems for God. Think of the pressure we take upon ourselves when we try to be the general in God's battles. We get discouraged. We give up. We fold our tents and go home. We can't handle it.

Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord is significant in that he is demonstrating his faith in God by bringing Him his problem. In life, we'll have many problems, but we should bring them to God. This is not to say that we do nothing while we wait for God to do something. We should do our part and let God take care of His. When we don't apply this principle, we set ourselves up to fall.

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

TO LET GOD KNOW THAT THE KING OF ASSYRIA HAD WRITTEN A LETTER INSULTING HIM FAR MORE THAN AN INSULT TO HEZEKIAH SO THIS REQUIRED A RESPONSE FROM GOD. HE LET GOD KNOW THAT A RESPONSE SHOULD COME FROM ABOVE TO THE KING OF ASSYRIA BECAUSE OF THE INSULT.

THE UNDERLYING PRINCIPLE ILLUSTRATED HERE IS TO PROVE THAT WE SHOULD RELY ON GOD AND NOT FEEL THAT WE HAVE TO HANDLE THINGS ALONG. GOD IS WITH US ALL THE WAY. HE HAS NOT ABANDONED HEZEKIAH AND HIS PEOPLE AND HEZEKIAH KNOWS THIS THAT IS WHY HE IS CALLING ON GOD FOR A RESPONSE TO THE LETTER FROM THE KING OF ASSYRIA. WE ARE NOT GENERALS IN GOD'S WAR WE ARE ONLY SOLDIERS AND WE SHOULD FOLLOW HIS COMMAND. BY DOING SO, HEZEKIAH IS SHOWING GOD THAT GOD IS THE LEADER AND THE CREATOR OF HIS WILL AND THAT HEZEKIAH WILL AWAIT HIS RESPONSE AND FOLLOW GOD'S COMMAND.

WE CAN APPLY THIS PRINCIPLE TO OUR LIVES BY FIRST KNOWING THAT GOD IS IN CHARGE AND THAT WE ARE TO FOLLOW HIS COMMANDS, NOT THE COMMANDS OF MEN BUT GOD'S WILL.

WHEN WE DON'T APPLY THIS PRINCIPLE THINGS DON'T FOLLOW GOD'S WILL AND THE RESULTS WILL ONLY PERISH.

As we had seen in other studies Moses had appealed to our fathers nature regarding how it would look if he destroyed his people, this time it was in the hands of the enemy.

Out of the book Of Job we can see that our enemy has no power over us except that the father gives it.

We can all agree that the battle is the Lords,but Ephesians tells us that we are in the battle too.

So we must seek the Lord with all our Hearts for if God before us who can be against us.

The offence was against our God ,The focus was agaist Hezekiah;the victory will be combind.

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the

enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle

illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own

lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

He knew that God was the only one that could carry it. The only one that could see them through this battle. So he gave it to God for him to handle for him.

That the battle belongs to the Lord. :)

By giving everything to the Lord knowing he will take care of it and see us through it. :rolleyes:

When we take it upon ourselves to handle it. We become stress out. And end up losing that battle. Its always best to go to him with it and let him carry us through. :unsure:

1. For God to read

2. For Hezekiah was bringing the problem before God, to fight the battle, we alone can not have victory without God, we must give it all to the Lord

3. By letting the Lord lead, and we walk with Him

4. We rule our world and place faith in our selves or others, we pull are self up by our own bootstraps, and fail in a right relationship with the Lord.

One of the names of God is Jehovah Sabaoth - - meaning like commander in chief. In 1 Samuel - David proclaims that th eBattle is the Lord's. It was God's name that was being insulted in this letter and Hezekiah - went directly to God. The thing we must learn is that God will not only fight His battles, but our battles as well. God's kingdom will be glorified if we allow Him to fight the battle, and if we allow ourselvess to know our stance in Him.

Hezekiah was showing God what the enemy was saying about God Himself! It shows that Hezekiah knew that the insult and disrepect were being directed at the Lord, and that it was the Lord who needed to respond!

The underlying principle here, is to take our problems to the Lord! Not that we shouldn't do "anything" but having done what we can, then STAND in the strength of the Lord and the power of His might!

When we don't apply this principle then the battle is ours, and we get beat down, tired, defeated, and give up.

We might even have a victory of sorts in our own doing, but nothing like we would have if the battle is the Lord's!!!

Hezekiah lays the enemy's report before the Lord because he has made all of the military preparations that he can, but he knows that this is the Lord's battle. We need to realize this in our own lives. When we have problems that are beyond us to solve, we need to bring them before the Lord, turn them over to Him and leave them there.

When we don't leave the battle to the Lord and try to win the battle without His help, we often make a royal mess of the whole situation.

Greater is He that is within us than he that is within the world. Praise the Lord for His greatness!