JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Righteousness and Answered Prayer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hezekiah received the letter..and read it...and went into the house of the Lord..and spread it before the Lord..and Hezekiah prayed...

and as we rcv our today msgs and the threatening letters and emotionally charged termination letters and others that threaten our current way of life, the Lord

is eager to help and solve our problms as we turn it over to Him..our heavenly father stands ready to to take our burdens that we bring to Him in faith... He stands ready and willing to hear every concern of our heart..i can hear his invitation "come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light"Matt 11:28-30

ed

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

"Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes."

He says he has been faithful and devoted to the Lord. He then asks the Lord for healing.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

The bible says so.

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16b).

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

If you are unrighteous then you are walking on a path that is not the direction the Lord would have for your life. Why should he bless you if you are making wrong choices in your life? Mistakes repented of are forgiven but rebellion is not.

But what about grace?

I can not answer this like Dietrich Bonhoeffer does in his book The Cost of Discipleship so my suggestion is to get this book and read the chapter on grace. He gives a view of costly grace that is amazing and so deep that it has had a great impact on my life. I will just say that grace is not cheep like we see in the churches of America today.

Following is two quotes from Bonhoeffer

" Please remember how I have walked before you in faithfulness and with a whole heart, and have done what is good in your sight."

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Unrighteousness can hinder our prayers from being answered because Yahweh is a Holy Elohim. However, He has the power to change any situation.

Because he'd been faithful and devoted...he'd done what was right.

Personal righteousness is important, because God doesn't want to reward us when we're rebellious.

When we're unrighteous, God doesn't want to reward us by answering our prayers...He's more apt to punish us.

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah brings to God's remembrance how he lived righteously before God. I believe God is more apt to answer the prayers of righteous, holy people than He is for rebellious, unrepentant people ("The effectual fervent prayers of the righteous availeth much.")

1. Hezekiah wanted to be healed in order to continue the promise of a continuance of

an offspring of David

2. For God is always willing to answer the prayers of His children that are seeking Him, ones who place their faith in Him, one who gladly obeys Him and wants to walk with Him and carry the Cross

3. God gift of grace is His own favor towards us, we can not earn this, it is given to whom He chooses, whom He favors. If your motive for grace is just to do works, then you will not create this beautiful intimate relationship with the Lord, one in which you will fall in Love with the Lord, one in which you seek diligently to hear His word, to feel His presence and one in which you place all trust in Him. If you are not seeking the Lord He may not choose to listen to your prayer.

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah wanted to be healed to glorify God - - for His kingdom - so the lineage can be carried on. God honors obedience - God responds to the heart - a humble spirit.

If we are unrighteous - we are out of God's will - - he is unable to answer the prayer - it would be contrary to His character

Hezekiah does not imply that he is a self righteous guy but he claims that he walked in the footsteps of God and that God would be the ultimate judge of his conduct. Upon this basis, he petitions the Lord for his healing as well as delivering the nation from oppression by a heathen king. God hears his prayer and promises deliverance as well his physical healing within 3 days. Peronsal righteousness is importat in getting answers from the Lord because then the Lord will open his mind to the prayers and answers them. An unrighteous person cannot have admission into His Holy presence and therefore, the prayers go unanswered.

All God's gifts are by His grace only. We don't deserve anything good. Even then, those gifts that He gives, are for people who request them; they are the righteous people, saved by grace and allowed into His holy presence. They get the gifts and their prayers are answered.

Hezekiah feels that he has done everything within his power to be right with God and that on those grounds God might hear his prayer. After all he has heard the prayers of many righteous forbears. It is a pattern in which Hezekiah has confidence.

Personal righteousness is very important - James says the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. In seeking righteousness we are seeking to be at one with God, and He likes that, and can bless and respond to it. Our obedience creates unity between us and our Father which is a channel of blessing.

Unrighteousness is witchcraft and rebelliousness, especially when we know God and are not eing obedient to Him. It comes along with unbelief, which is the unforgiveable sin, because if we truly believe God we will fear Him and respond toHis love with obedience, thus uniting ourselves with His mighty plan and purpose. Anything else is ignorance ("Father, forgive them for they know not what they do"). With unrighteousness we take ourselves out of the path of blessing and God's responsiveness to us. The Holy Spirit is our teacher and counsellor and we are to seek Him while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near. He moves over the face of the earth encouraging us to move towards God. Rebelliousness moves us in the other direction and out of the reaches of God. We don't see prayer answered that way! Yes, everything comes

from God by grace and favour, but even in earthly relationships, you don't get too far (for example in business) if you first spit in the face of your potential customer or client!

Q3. What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? That he had lived in truth and with a loyal heart. That he had done what was right in God's eyes.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? God will hear your prayers and He will look at your heart. If you are not praying selfishly, and praying in His Will, God will honor your prayers.

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway? Yes, God's gifts are by grace, but unrighteousness will be a factor in whether God answers your prayers or not.

Hezekiah trusted God to answer his prayer; he however, reminded God that he was loyal to Him thus pleaded that God would hear him.

Our unrighteousness can block the blessings God would shower upon us. An illustration is that of the open, giving hand. God says to share with others so that He might bless us. When we do, our hands are open in love and concern and He then can refill them. And He does, many times over.

When they are tight-fisted keeping all we have earned to ourselves, His blessings pass us by as we are not in a position to receive them.

Many blessings are not material but emotional, spiritual, things like love and friendship, health, family, etc. All good things are from God; we must be open to receive them. Praying to God in open trust, knowing His nature, we then are in a position to receive His good gifts.

(20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

He has ask God for healing on the basis that he has lived a faithful and upright life before God keeping the commandments and living by the law. He has be a good king and leader for Gods people.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

Righteousness and holiness are important when you pray because the promises of the word of God are given to them. They are not promised to sinner. Even though he does answer their prayers at times they can say to him your word say that you will do this for me the reason they do not have a covenant with the King of Kings they have not excepted Jesus into their lives. I think that a lot of times the reason that sinners get answers to prayers is because the ask a saved person to pray about the problem.

For by grace are you saved and not through works least anyone should boast. Grace is the way the gifts are given to all Gods people. He makes his promises to those that love him and serve him not to those that are sinners and refuse to live by his laws and his word which is readily available to us today. God loves all people even the sinners but his promises are to those that love him in return and do his will. :D

God's promise of an heir and for a long life for those who live a righteous life.

God tend to give more favor to those who are obedient and try to live a righteous life. The Christians most powerful resouce is communion with God through prayer.

If we are rebellious and purposely continue to sin with no honest attempt to do otherwise we probably would not fall within God's grace and favor.

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting

your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered

prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

He knew he needed to be healed in order to be able to lead the people in this war.

If we are not right with God why should we expect him to answer our prayers? We have to keep ouselves right with God and strive to keep ourselves clean before him to get our prayers answered.

God can not answer if we keep doing what is wrong. Our prayers are blocked till we repent of our sins and turn back to him.

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

WELL THE BASIS WAS A LITTLE SELFISH BUT WAS RIGHT IN TIME WITH WHAT GOD HAD PROMISED TO DAVID. HEZEKIAH BEING A RIGHTEOUS MAN WHO PRAYED WENT TO GOD, THROUGH PRAYER FOR ANSWERS AND FOR GOD'S HELP, WAS REWARDED WITH THE ANSWERS TO HIS REQUEST. HEZEKIAH HAD TO KNOW GOD'S WILL IN ORDER TO MAKE THIS REQUEST (EVEN THOUGH IT APPEARRED SELFISH) IT WAS WITHIN THE WILL OF WHAT GOD HAD PROMISED. GOD KEEPS HIS PROMISES.

PERSONAL RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HOLINESS IS IMPORTANT TO RECEIVE ANSWERS TO PRAYERS BECAUSE GOD LOVES AN OBIEDIENT CHILD. A SINNER YES BUT ONE WHO CAN CONFESS THOSE SINS AND HONESTLY MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO STAY ON THE RIGHTEOUS PATH. KEEPING GOD IN YOUR LIFE AND FOLLOWING HIS WILL AS CLOSELY AS YOU CAN. CONSTANTLY PRAYING AND KEEPING AN OPEN COMMUNICATION WITH GOD IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ONE ON THE RIGHTEOUS PATH. IT SHOWS GOD THAT YOU WANT HIM WITH YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY, YOU DO NOT DISCREDIT HIM FOR YOUR OWN SELFISHNESS, BUT YOU LIVE ACCORDING TO GOD'S WILL AND NOT THE WILL OF MAN.

IT CAN PREVENT GOD FROM HEARING YOUR PRAYERS, GRACE IS NOT FROM WORK BUT YOU HAVE TO COME TO GOD THROUGH YOUR OWN ACCORD. ASKING HIM TO BE A PART OF YOUR LIFE HERE ON THIS EARTH SHOWS HIM YOU LOVE HIM AND YOU WANT HIM TO BE INCLUDED IN YOUR DECISION MAKING FOR THE GRACE OF HIS GLORY AND NOT THE GRACE OF YOUR GLORY. GOD DOES NOT LIKE SIN AND UNRIGHTEOUS PRAYERS ARE BASED UPON THE WILL OF MAN OR SATAN AND NOT THE WILL OF GOD. SO UNRIGHTEOUS PRAYERS GO UNANSWERED BECAUSE GOD CAN NOT AND WILL NOT HEAR THEM.

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah says, I have walked before You faithfully, with whole hearted devotion and done what was good in the eyes of the Lord. This is important because it shows a desire to be obedient to the Lord. God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him, if we are living we are not living a righteous life.

There is only one typr of righteousness and thats personal.

It is out of a personal relationship with our Father in Heaven.

Hezekiah was appealing as a child would his father.

Daddy you know I only do what is pleasing to you Yes son then daddy take this from me your faithful child.

All sin and unrighteousness will hinder prayer, but Daddy is not looking for our prayer, He will even forgive our sin and correct our unrighteosness.

What he is looking for is a pure heart that loves him and seeks him.

Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments. Love not Law.

Hezekiah, never really says Lord heal me, but he does remind the Lord that he has walked faithfully before Him. The fact that he then weeps bitterly tells me, that he wasn't ready to die just yet. However God who knows our heart, knew his also, and grants him 15 more years.

If we can't pray the same way, being without fault, how can we expect the same answer? Sin hinders our prayers and God's answers.

Unrighteous prayers are not even possible to be heard by God. He can't get a good connection with us when we have so much burdensum static on the line. If he can't see our heart is for HIM and His glory, then he neednt send answer to prayers. He has very good sight, though, and what we think is unrighteous, he knows to be as he judges it.

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Faith is the fundamental basis of Hezekiah's healing. On that basis he reminded God of his righteous living and as such was obedient to his commandments and God. These were reasons enough to ask God to heal him.

God seing the measure of his Faith and his promise made to his servant David had to heal him, for even the untold reasons.

Hezekiah's prayer: 3"Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? His word says: The Prayer of the faithful availeth much. This is a matter of putting forward a case to be determined for his higest honors deliberation abd decision. A well prepared and presented case is easily dealt with achieving the desired results of the presenter.

Righteous living is just like having a well prepared case.

God blesses according to his will. It is Gods Jurisdiction alone to answer a prayer. A prayer of an unrighteous man can be also answered.. It is entirely up to God to answer a prayer. Our is the use of faith, that was given to us by God.

Hezekiah asks for healing on the basis of devotion, obedience, and faith. God listens to the prayers of his children," he honors the prayers of the upright over those of the backslidden ".

I think he hears all prayers, but he gives special attention to the prayers of someone who walks in faith, who knows when he sins, but repents and tries to follow God in his life.

God is the only one who knows if someone is truly righteous or not, it is up to him whether or not he will answer someone's prayers.

He appealed to God's promises for an heir and long life for the righteous ones.

When you obey God, He is more apt to answer soon if you have a clean heart. God honors the prayers of the upright.

If unrepented sin exists, God is reluctant to answer----- You can not earn nor do we deserve any gifts from God. He justs gives us favor because He loves us so much. It is by grace that we are saved.