JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Prayer of Surrender

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

We want to be in control of our lives. We know we are sinful. By saying this prayer we are asking for the refining fire. Who in their right mind would ask for trials? The answer is no one in the flesh. Our flesh wants comfort and peace. I think we are put on this earth for one reason and one reason only and that is to train our spirit to praise and worship God. So pray this pray often and endure the refining fire so you can grow to be more Christ like every day. I am convinced that we as humans are lazy and will not grow with out trials. If you pray this prayer is there risks? Not God says he will not give you more then you can with stand and Look what God says about David. A man after my own heart.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God?

About 2 years ago.

What was the result?

The trials were unbelievable. But I am so glad that I am now growing in the Lord.

I just pray that I wont be so hard headed in the future and I will learn to grow with out so much resistance.

Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

No. You can be a Christian in name only. But if you want to be a disciple you must ask for the searchlight of truth to be shined on your life.

The sooner and more willing you submit to the guidance of the Lord in your life the easier the trials may be

So pray

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me,

and lead me in the way everlasting."

O Lord give me clean hands and a pure heart

Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

Baically because we don't want to surrender - we want to be in control. The first time i prayed this is in recovery - - surrendering my will to God, 10 years ago. The result is that His will and His ways are mine. I am stronger - rowing in His wisdom and not that of the world. It helps me to daily surrender all of my things to Him - -

It is hard to judge another's heart - but I believer that a genuine disciple is living fo God in all things. If he is not surrendering - then the person is living based on his wordly knowledge and plan - contrary to God

This prayer is hard to pray, because it's hard to step out into the unknown that God ha planned for us. We're afraid of the things we'll be shown and afraid to let go of some of the things we do.

The first time I made this prayer was just a couple months ago.

The result? I'm losing the man I love, the home we've shared, and have to start over completely. It's been very painful. But I'm back on the path God put before me. And the seemingly enless pain, fear, and uncertainties of life now, are just a grain of sand, compared to the eternity I'm working towards.

Q4 Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

It is difficult because we are human and afraid to allow someone else control of our life. And we continue to realize that there will always be an area in our hearts for God to seek out and cleanse.

Right after I became one of His children.

What was the result?

He has continued to show me areas for change. Thank God that in His strength, we can change.

We are a genuine disciple as soon as we accept what Jesus did for us and pray the prayer of repentence.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? We give control of our lives to someone else, and trust they will do the right thing can be very difficult.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? 2004 is when I prayed and asked God to search my heart

What was the result? For sometime I felt like I was pulled through a knothole backward. It

"search me o God..and know my thots today,..." i played the melody on that old piano as i remembered the hawai'n song and thought of the swayin palms...

"see if there be some wicked way in me...cleanse me from evry sin and set me free"..she looked very uncomfortable as the drinks and the crowd got wilder....and she said "i blv that's Methodist"...i didn't realize what the words were..or that it was a hymn...

there are times the Lord speaks to our heart in very tangible

ways...even in a crowd...reminders that He knows

and cares and that we cannot hide

no matter how hard we might try...it started with Adam..and has continued throughout all of our destiny's...i'm so glad He'll never leave us or forsake us..and that He holds each of us in the hollow of His hand...

have thine own way Lord...

It's difficult because what it opens up in us or exposes us to. No one relishes being outed or giving complete investigative privleges to to anyone. Scriptures says that we're openly exposed or naked before Him, whom we have to do. Difficult and painful. Now I've nothing to hide, nor is there anything hidden.

Soon after conversion, and most recently after a time of reflection. It's a kind of "purging" prayer. I'm asking GOD to find all the stuff that I've (selectively) missed, and forgive me.

Cleansing, overwhelming joy at knowing that for this moment the prince of this world can come and find nothing in me. That the loving GOD, who is now my Father, has washed me with HIS fullers soap, clean again to take on todays challenges.

Yes, but not a happy one, nor completely commited one. I believe Peter wished that he had prayed it before he had spoken so quickly.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

Because it is surrender to God and telling him to search and find any thing that is not of him and to remove it from us. We want to be like Jesus but we do not want to go through all he did to reach that place.

I had been a Christian many years before I would pray this prayer. It is never easy or the nature of the human being to give over totally to another even if it is God and I knew that he has full control anyway but we ourselves want to keep that control or at least some of it. Is that a right way to feel in our lives. No we need to give all of us to God.

What was the result?

Just as I though it would be he showed me several area's in my life that I needed to clean up and work on to make sure that there was no wicked left in me. I want only the things of God in my life and I do want him to purge out anything that is not of him. Do it now Lord God and make me a better person each day I live.

I think they can for a while then the Lord will want that total surrenders and control that he has already but he will have it because our hearts desire it. And we want to be more like unto him. Help me Jesus to be more like you. When we ask for a closer walk with the Lord he will lead us and guide me to this point of surrender. Thank you Jesus.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

It is difficult to to sumbit yourself to another and to giveu p control so that you are no longer in charge. To have your sins and faults laid out so that they are visable makes you volunerable and it is difficult for us to admit that we are wrong.

I pary dail for God to search my heart and to make me aware of anything that I have done that would grieve Him. I can't believe how much stuff is still that that I have buried or forgotten about. No a person cannot a disciple unless they committ and submit.

Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

Giving up control of oneself to someone else is very difficult to do. I was a young woman on my own in a big city where I knew no one when suddenly I realized that if I kept going on my own my destiny would be a disaster. I made major changes in the way I was living my life.

No, a person cannot be a genuine disciple without having the attitude towards God that is expressed in this prayer.

Q4 139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

Because sometimes we want to have one foot on the shore and one foot in the boat. As we push off we are hesitate to let go and let God control our lives in complete surrender. It is a control issue at least it was for me. I wanted to have the control. But once I let go and let God take over control and kept my hands off the control my life become so much more fullfilling. If fact it wasn't too long after this that God called us to the Philippines to start a discipleship ministry. A person cannot be a genuine disciple unless he is willing to let go and surrender to God.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

I BELEIVE THAT THIS IS A DIFFICULT PRAYER BECAUSE WE ARE ASKING FOR GOD TO TEST US. WE ARE AFRAID OF WHAT GOD MIGHT PUT US THROUGH, BUT IF WE TRULY BELIEVE THEN WE KNOW THAT WHATEVER HE PUTS US THROUGH, HE GOES THROUGH IT WITH US. BUT THE UNKNOWN, THE LACK OF CONTROL, FRIGHTENS US AS HUMANS SO IT MAKES THIS A VERY DIFFICULT THING TO DO. NOT AN IMPOSSIBLE PRAYER BUT A DIFFICULT PRAYER. A DIFFICULT ONE ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE WAYS OF THE LORD AND GOD'S ULTIMATE LOVE FOR US.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF TRIALS THAT I KNOW GOD HAS PUT ME THROUGH, HAVE I REQUESTED THEM? I AM NOT SURE, BUT I KNOW I'VE SURVIVED THEM. SOME OF THEM I AM STILL GOING THROUGH NOW.

What was the result?

THERE IS ALWAYS A LESSON, THAT I CAN GUARANTEE AT THE END OF EACH TRIAL. SOMETIMES I'VE CHOOSEN THE WRONG PATH BUT OTHER TIMES I SELECTED THE RIGHT PATH. I'VE NEVER BEEN ALONG BECAUSE NO MATTER THE TRIAL I KNOW GOD IS THERE WITH ME.

NO, A PERSON CANNOT BE A GENUINE DISCIPLE IF HE/SHE DOES NOT PRAY THIS TYPE OF PRAYER. BECAUSE WITHOUT THIS TYPE OF FAITH, HOW DOES ONE KNOW THAT THEY ARE ON THE RIGHT PATH? HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU'RE FOLLOWING GOD'S ULTIMATE PLAN FOR YOU IF NOTHING IS EVER TESTED? HOW DOES ONE KNOW THAT THEY HAVE TRULY SURRENDERED IF EVERYTHING WORKS FINE IN THEIR LIVES? WITHOUT TESTING NOTHING CHANGES, WITHOUT TRIALS WE LEARN NO LESSONS AND WE STAY THE SAME. WE HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DO GOD'S WILL.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? A prayer of surrender is sometimes difficult in a sense that, in my case I asked for surrender because of my sittuations and therefore I was more or less surrending because I needed a favour. I guess I needed this to happen quickly. Volutary surrender is probably the best because it puts us in a state of really surrendering with all your heart and without pressure from sittuations.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? I prayed a prayer of surrender on about 4 different occasions amidst my sittuations. I prayed again last night to surrender my anger, my shame, accusations and many more of my weak areas. I pray now for Gods mercy and forgivess upon me and to heal me in Jesus name.

What was the result? Only time and God in his due process will heal the wounds of the many I have hurt and the hurts and anger I have been experiencing.

Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer? Without complete surrender a person cannot be really genuine. However God knows and sees the heart of a person, therefore the final really depends upon God to see genuineness. Praise the Lord. Amen.

This is no longer a prayer I pray in fear, for now I know God loves me, and His purpose is for my good and creating within me a likeness of Christ, so since I know my heart is deceitful and might lie to me, I NEED His searching into my heart so I am capable of knowing where I am failing or in need of repentance. To surrender to our heavenly Father is a privilege, and blessing. to me. Finding out my sinfulness is not of course, but it is also freeing for then I KNOW for sure what I am inside and can repent. When it is not easy is when I do not hate the sin He pulls up to reveal to me, and then I do have to pray again for Him to help me be willing to overcome my desire to sin again. It is not a quick process, so in His perfect way with patience, He helps me go through the santification process as I submit unto His commands.

A disciple would almost HAVE to be willing to pray this prayer, though he might not be a willing or obedient person at first, but I think as you grow in His Spirit, your heart will be changed and you desire perfection of your selfish sinful nature.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

It is human nature to want to be in control. Having to surrender control to God is difficult for most people, me included. I don't think a person can be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer because a disciple is one who follows a particular teaching. If a person is unwilling to surrender and adapt Jesus' teachings, then he can't be considered to be a disciple.

human beings like to be the ones in control, that's why humility is so difficult for most of us.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result?

about a year ago. i was teaching my 2nd grade religous class and though i could just do it along with my knowledge of GOD and besides they were just 7 and 8 year olds. well by the end of that class not one of the kids looked like they understood what i was talking about, i went over thier heads (told them to much.) i pondered what i did wrong and prayed not to do it again. finally the following week i decided to let Jesus take the reins of my life for the day. it turned out to be great best lesson i've ever taught. i know that Jesus wants us to be in between. not to have him do everything (put out an effort) yet he's there to help as well and he does know better than i do.

NO! have to relize your limits and the willingness of GOD.

We like to keep some things tucked into a little corner of our hearts that we think is hidden from God. Not so. God knows all.

Whenever I got saved, I asked God to search me and to forgive me for any thing that I had hidden and anything not repented of. To bring it to memory so I could repent.

You can't be genuine unless all sin is repented and follow all His commandments. Give up your own life to follow Jesus. Leave everything to follow HIM. You do have to be sincere as God knows the heart.

This kind of prayer is about abject surrender to His will. Our natural tendency is to take control of ourselves. The basic human nature always tries to overcome the spiritual side. It is difficult to take sides, but when we are in the Lord, He takes control of our lives and then we are together in Him and He directs our paths. Then this kind of prayer become easy.

It was a long time before. Years ago when I first surrendered to Him and then slowly went back to my old selfish ways. But His love is never lacking. He always is at our side, ready to welcome me back when I turn to Him. His presence is so comforting. It changes life. :D Our fears and worries are conquered. There is no worry of tomorrow or its consequences. We grow in Him and in His fellowship. At every step, we feel His presence. That is the kind of life we get with Him. A true disciple of Jesus can never rest in peace without surrendering to Him completely. There is always the struggle between the flesh and the spirit when we try it in our own strength. Whereas, if Jesus takes control, then there is peace in everything we attempt and there is absolutely no conflict in any sphere. That is the result of surrender to God's will and guidance.

Do we really want a all-knowing God to look in our heart and see what there, we would like to think that it is hidden away.when we pray for God to search our heartwe should be ready to repent when he reveal those hidden sin.

the results I had a lot of repentance to do. you cannot be a disciple true without.unless God search heart.

4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

Because i don't think we really want to know what are sins in our lives. We don't want to be made to feel guilty of anything. And if we pray a prayer of surrender. We are afraid of what we will be asked to give up.

When i gave my life to Jesus. :rolleyes:

What was the result?

An immediate release from all guilt. :rolleyes:

No, i don't think so. If we don't surrender the things wrong in our lives. Would be hard to show others how to live for Jesus if our own hearts are not right with him.

B)

Who wants to give up control. We tend to think that we know all of the answers and we don't need God...well, I can only speak for myself.

The first time I prayed like this was at a concert. I was 18 years old. The circumstances were unbelievable but the outcome was more than I could ever imagine.

The result was the beginning of my personal walk with Jesus. At the time I was an atheist turned agnostic turned to someone who just didn't give a ****, with a heart turned stone cold with ice in my veins and no reason for hope. If I hadn't prayed a surrendering prayer only God knows what would have happened to me. I shudder to think about the alternative life I would have had.

I don't believe that you can be a genuine disciple. You must be able to surrender everything to be able to give yourself in service to Him. It is an every moment project but when achieved, true dicipleship happens, even if it is one moment at a time.

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART!

Maybe it's okay that we find this prayer difficult, maybe we know on some level that we can't honestly pray it.

I prayed this kind of prayer in dishonesty many times, usually at the behest of some emotional manipulation that I put on myself. I know that it didn't become an honest prayer in my life until God brought me face to face with my sinfulness.

God is healing those relationships that I had trashed. Now I earnestly pray that prayer because I know how easy it is for me to deceive.