JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prayer against Temptation

Q1. (22:40-41, 45-46) Why did he ask his disciples to pray? What temptation did Jesus know they would be facing? What was the content of their prayer to be? Did they actually pray this prayer diligently? How does the Lord's Prayer word this kind of prayer? Why do you think Jesus wanted to be alone during his own prayer?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Word records that Jesus asked the disciples to pray that they would not give in to temptation. Jesus knew they were going to be tested like never before by the very antithesis of faith: FEAR and doubt. A critical, decisive turning point was literally moments away, and He instructed, warned, and urged them to engage themselves in one simple, direct plea for strength not to "enter into temptation." This mirrors what He taught them in His model prayer. Our defense against evil and ability to resist temptation are only in the Lord.

What a sad picture of our own prayer lives! Even in the moment of intense crisis we lose focus, our minds wander, we become weary after a short while. I imagine that Jesus' demeanor and intensity in prayer were unlike anything the disciples had ever seen before. One would think that would be enough to shake and wake them up into diligent prayer themselves. I do keep in mind that at this point they were confused and exhausted, and they did not yet have the indwelling presence of the Spirit within to quicken and compel them. But they failed to comprehend the crisis and stay on task. What a discouragement that must have been to Jesus when He came back to find them sleeping. Shame on us, too, as we do the very same thing all the time.

I think maybe Jesus wanted to pray alone for at least two reasons. The disciples had been given one thing to focus on - strength for their own needs, not His. The coming test of their faith had the potential to completely destroy them. He knew they needed to make it through the next three days, but they needed to make it through for something even greater beyond that. All that would be accomplished through what He was about to endure was going to be handed off into their keeping. He was going to secure everlasting redemption, but it was going to be up to them to "Go, ye", to take that news into the world. They needed God's power to resist temptation like never before! And then, this was a personal moment of decision for Him that no other person could share. It was a private decision that only He could make. Like Calvary, Gethsemane was something He had to face alone. An angel was the only attendant qualified to minister in that holy struggle. I believe there is a lesson in that example for us. Sharing prayer needs with others is important, but there are sacred moments when we must "wrestle" with God alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus knew the disciples were going to face great temptation as they related to His Body of Believers by association and would be accused as He was, in a public way which was dangerous. All He had taught them would come into display in their hearts giving them cause to be afraid and doubtful for they did not yet understand Jesus' total mission in His life and death and His resurrection to come. He had already predicted the denial of knowing him by Peter and he knew their weakenesses intimately, and knew also the death He faced.

As to if and how they prayed, it does not sound like they lasted long at anything for they were tired in body. I do not think they truly realized the dangers their Lord was facing for they had seen His miracles and felt he could surely take care of himself as well as them. I doubt even Judas was completely aware of his part of destiny, but was allowing temptation to overcome any love he had for Jesus due to his own desires to "push " the situation into another path of his own choice....thinking Jesus' kingdom would come on earth NOW if he would help it along.? who knows ? If they obeyed Jesus, I think they should have prayed for their Master's safety and theirs and that God's will be done in and through them in their testing times.

The Lord's Prayer reminds us that we will have temptations and their source is evil, and that only our Lord can deliver us from all evil...and I suspect the disciples thought Jesus would deliver them from harm or evil that last night also, for He is the one who taught them this prayer. I have always wondered at the wording..."Lead us not into temptation". I find it difficult to recognize His leading me into temptation, but if this is so, I am sure it is to teach me how to overcome it, so we will not allow ourselves to be led into temptation and also to help us recognize what is evil and what is not.

Jesus's mission in life on earth was ending and He knew it, and although He wished for his disciple's support in prayer, He knew that his death could only be faced by Himself. He intimately knew His Father and wanted to speak privately to Him in a human sense to ask for His help and love and deliverance if possible. This shows His humanity to me in a dear way, for his flesh must have cringed at the thought of being the object of HATE and EVIL and UNJUSTICE of human nature at its worse.

Why did he ask his disciples to pray?

He knew that they would be tempted by the devil and his evil plans.He also knew that no person could resist the devil on his own. The only way that a person can resist the evil plan of the devil is to pray to the Father that He would intervene on their behalf.

What temptation did Jesus know they would be facing?

They would lie saying they did not know Jesus. They would have doubts that Jesus was the son of God.

What was the content of their prayer to be?

Not to be lead away by the temptation.

Did they actually pray this prayer diligently?

They may have prayed the pray but with not as much conviction as what Christ was praying.

How does the Lord's Prayer word this kind of prayer?

13And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from the evil one.'

Why do you think Jesus wanted to be alone during his own prayer?

He wanted quite time with the Father. How could he hear what the Father had to say to him if he was not quite before the Father.

Why did he ask his disciples to pray? What temptation did Jesus know they would be facing? What was the content of their prayer to be? Did they actually pray this prayer diligently? How does the Lord's Prayer word this kind of prayer? Why do you think Jesus wanted to be alone during his own prayer?

He asked his disciples to pray so they wouldn't fall into the temptation of denying Him. The content of their prayer was to be "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. They did not pray. I think Jesus wanted to be alone with his Father so he could concentrate completely on Him and what was at hand. What he was facing to do he would have to do on his own and he couldn't afford to get distracted by others or interupted or take time to answer their questions or to teach or minister to them.

Q1. (22:40-41, 45-46) Why did he ask his disciples to pray?

JESUS WAS AWARE OF WHAT WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN AND HE KNEW THAT IN ORDER FOR THE DISCIPLES TO RESIST TEMPTATION THIS COULD ONLY BE ACHIEVED THROUGH PRAYING.

THE DENIAL AND JESUS ON THE CROSS.

THEY WILL NOT FALL INTO TEMPTATION.

IF THEY HAD THE RESULTS WOULD HAVE PREPARED THEM FOR WHAT WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN INSTEAD ONE BETRAYED HIM AND SOME OF THEM DENIED HIM.

FIRST IT ADDRESSES GOD FOR WHO HE IS. THEN HE PETITIONED GOD ABOUT THIS WILL. HE THEN PLED FOR REMOVAL OF THIS BURDEN, THIS CUP (THE CROSS) FROM HIM BUT ONLY IF IT IS THE WILL OF THE FATHER TO LET GOD KNOW THAT HE IS AND WILL SERVE HIS WILL NO MATTER HOW GREAT THE TEMPTATION, HE WILL GET THE JOB DONE TO FULFILL GOD'S WILL..

I BELIEVE HE WANTED TO BE ALONE BECAUSE HE KNEW THE SERVERITY OF WHAT WAS ABOUT TO TAKE PLACE. HE DID NOT WANT ANY INTERUPTIONS WHEN HE PRAYED ABOUT IT. HE KNEW THE TIME WAS ABOUT TO COME SO HE WAS PREPARING HIMSELF THROUGH PRAYER SO THAT HE WOULD NOT FAIL.

Q1. (22:40-41, 45-46) Why did he ask his disciples to pray? What temptation did Jesus know they would be facing? What was the content of their prayer to be? Did they actually pray this prayer diligently? How does the Lord's Prayer word this kind of prayer? Why do you think Jesus wanted to be alone during his own prayer?

Jesus asked his disciples to pray because he would be leaving them soon and they would need extra strength. The temptations would be that they would run away, deny that they had any relationship with Jesus or would feel decieved that he had left them. It was a prayer of acknowledgement, petition and submission.

He knew what was about to take place and he needed the time alone in prayer with the Father.

Jesus asked his diciples to pray because he knew they would need strength to resist temptation of denial. The whole of Christianity depended on their actions over the next few days.

They didn't pray diligently "they fell asleep" because they didn't understand the importance and the events to come. The Lord's prayer specifically addresses the need to be delivered from evil.

There are many types of prayer. Communal prayer was not appropriate because this needed to be a personal communication between Jesus and His Father. He needed the personal time, the assurance, the love of His Father to prepare Him for what was to come.

Q1. (22:40-41, 45-46) Why did he ask his disciples to pray? So that they would not fall into temptation.

What temptation did Jesus know they would be facing? In sittuations as that was ahead of them. They would be tempted to lie.

What was the content of their prayer to be? Lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Did they actually pray this prayer diligently? I dont think so.

How does the Lord's Prayer word this kind of prayer? But deliver us from evil.

Why do you think Jesus wanted to be alone during his own prayer? In years to come or the times ahead his deciples were to be operating in Faith. Therefore The Lord did not want to expose his weakness; the expressions of anguish and asking for the Cup to be taken away if willed by the Father to be so.Otherwise knowing the Lords weaknesses would weaken their Faith. Wisdom was what was demonstrated here.

The Lord All so knowing and being human at the same time had taken the responsibility to protect and help his deciples grow in faith, and exposing his own weaknesses was not such a Good idea for his deciples in the times ahead.

Amen.

Jesus asked the disciples to pray so they would not give in to temptation. Jesus were refering to the thing to come.

the content of their prayer was for them to prat and ask the Father to lead them away from temptation, and to keep them from evil. They didn't pray diligently because they fell asleep. they needed to pray this prayer so when temptation come

they would have the strenght to resist it Jesus wanted to be alone to talk to his Father without any interuption

I think He asked them to pray so they would not "enter in" to temptation.

Jesus knew they would be facing the temptation to cut and run, or the strength to stand by Him. I am not sure.

I think the content of their prayer would be for strength, and I don't think they did pray.

"Lead us not into temptation, and protect us from evil."

Jesus was a man after all - here, showing His greatest humanity, and humility, and needed solitude with His Father, as was His custom.

Q1. (22:40-41, 45-46) Why did he ask his disciples to pray?

Jesus knew what was going to happen and he knew that the temptation was at hand not just for himself but for those that followed him. He knew they needed more to withstand this temptation.

They would be faced with the fact they where disciples of his and that they would need strength to stand to be faithful to what he had been teaching them.

That they would not fall into temptation and that they would be strong when ask if they knew him and if they followed him.

No they where tired and went to sleep.

Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.

Jesus knew he was going to cry out to the Father he was going to say things to his Father that they would not understand and they did not need to hear. It would have only placed fear in their hearts if they could have known before time. As it did when they went through it all with him.

I think we need to back up to see why there might be a possibiblity for the disciples to fall into temptation. Something must be going to change for this to happen. "Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you out to preach the Good News and you did not have money, a traveler's bag, or extra clothing, did you lack anything?" "No," they replied. 36 "But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your clothes and buy one! 37 For the time has come for this prophecy about me to be fulfilled: 'He was counted among those who were rebels.' Yes, everything written about me by the prophets will come true." 38 "Lord," they replied, "we have two swords among us." "That's enough," he said. "

Jesus knew there was going to be a shift of protection and provision for all disciples from God among us to God within us from God above us. Jesus warned the twelve about falling into temptation because when people rely on self-preservation instead of God's provision we tend to do all kinds of evil. Was it bad that they fell asleep? I don't think so, it just showed how confident they were of who Jesus was, that he was truly the Son of God. But they could not understand how that could change no matter how many times Jesus had told them..

Jesus stepped aside to pray "Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine." Temptation is what separates us from the will of God. This is the suffering Jesus was so fearful of. Not the death which He came for but the separation of all from God. I think he may have stepped aside to pray in private so the disciples faith would remain as strong as it could be. Jesus told Simon, "When you come back to me". He didn't say your faith would never faulter, he said when you regain it I want you to share it with your brothers so that they may regain their's. " But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen and build up your brothers."

Prayer is done when we need communion with God. This was the time when God's communion and protection were needed the most. That's why Jesus asked His disciples to pray. Because He knew they would face the temptation of their basic faith in Jesus. Whether they would accept Him as thier leader and stand up for Him. Thier content would be for protection against temptation. That they would resist the temptation. They took things lightly. They were not aware of the gravity of the situation. As was the custom, they made it to the Mount of Olives and as usual, they went to sleep. They did not think that this was their last night with Jesus. Otherwise they would be around Him and praying with Him. They did not pray diligently as they did not fully undestand the gravity of the situation. Or even if they knew, they thought that Jesus would deal with the situation with His miraculous powers.

In the Lord's prayer, the term ' lead us not into temptation' is closely associated with this. Jesus wanted to be alone with His Father as He knew that this partucular event had to be faced by Himself alone. This temptation to escape the wrath of God should be faced by Himself alone and conquered by Him. That's why He went ahead for some distance and prayed that great burdensome prayer setting in motion the great example for us to follow. Not our will but the will of the Father is more important in our life.

:rolleyes:

Jesus wanted His disciples to pray so that they would not fall into temptation. He does not want to see His disciples give into temptation and the best way to do this is to pray.

I think that it is that they may betray him as Judas did. That they would pray for strength and not turn from all that Jesus had taught them.

Jesus wanted them to pray with Him that they not fall into temptation

I think that they started to pray diligently but then they kept falling asleep.

"And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil."

Because He was dealing with His own temptations and His prayers were for many other things. He was praying for the will to do so His Father's will. He was praying for the strength to take His Father's cup and for the ability to follow through and sacrifice Himself for the rest of the humanity. I think that he knew the others would not understand.

REMEMBER, JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!

Jesus asked His disciples to pray because He knew that each of them would be facing different temptations. He knew when He asked them to pray that He'd find them asleep when He returned from talking to the Father. He also knew that they would be tempted in various situations during their ministry after He gave the Great Commission before His ascension to heaven. That night, however, they were to pray that they would not give in to temptation, not that they wouldn't face temptation, an inevitable part of life. I would imagine that, due to the lateness of the hour, they were tired and simply wanted to go to sleep. Jesus found them asleep (hence His rebuke in verse 46), therefore, they were certainly not being diligent in their prayers.

We know very well the line in the Lord's Prayer that says, "...and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil..."

I think Jesus wanted to be alone because He didn't want His disciples to see the angst He experienced as He grappled with the impending culmination of the work that He had come to do and the human tendency to shirk the most unpleasant fate that awaited Him.

Jesus knew they were weak in faith and would be in great temptation to hand Him over to the priests & teachers of the law.They were to pray that they would not fall into that temptation. No, they were found sleeping. "Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one". I believe that Jesus did not want to be distracted by their lack of faith and He knew He would hear from God via an Angel to give Him strength.

to have the help of GOD for what will be coming in the future for them.

thier lives on the line for Jesus

to follow in Jesus' path

i would think not...otherwise they wouldn't of made the mistakes they made

it shows his true feelings, yet tells GOD that even though he doesn't care for what's to happen to him if that's what GOD wants then he'll abide by it.

it's personal between him and his father. also not to show weekness to the apostles and it would scare them.

Q1 Why did he ask his disciples to pray? That they would not be overcome by temptation.

What temptation did Jesus know they would be facing? Because he knew he would soon be leaving the. He also knew they would need extra strength to face the temtations ahead -temtations to run away, or to deny their relationship with him. Also, they were about to see him die- would they still think he was the Messiah? Their strongest temtation would be to think they had been decieved.

What was the content of their prayer to be? To follow Jesus Did they actually pray this prayer diligently? Not hardly.

How does the Lord's prayer word this kid of prayer? Lead us not into temtation but deliver us from evil.

Why do you think Jesus wanted to be alone during his own prayer? To talk to his Father and have solitude .

That His disciples would not fall into temptation, Jesus knew they would be tested in their faith, temptation is a fact of life and there's no way of evading it. As long as the devil has control of secular music, ***********, Hollywood; our eyes, ears and senses will be bombarded.

Even though temptation is a fact of life, it is my prayer every day for the covering of the Blood of Jesus and Psalm 91.

Jesus would pray in a quiet place in the crack of dawn, because there is less distractions. As He has instructed us to pary.

He knew what them and him would be facing.

He know they would be tempted to turn away from him.

For them to be able to not give into the temptation but to stand strong and face it. :)

They may have started out good, but got to tired to stay awake and fell asleep. :unsure:

Lead us not into temptation, and protect us from evil.

He want that time alone with his Father, knowing soon it would all happen. He cried out to his Father about things that was best for them not to know about. So he went private in his own prayer. :rolleyes:

He asked his disciples to pray not to fall into temptation and to pray for what was to come. He knew that they would be facing denying Him when he was betrayed and at his judgement. What was the content of their prayers is to stand strong and to face their destiny. They started to pray but then fell asleep. Why did Jesus want to be alone?It was cause he knew what was to happen and he wanted to talk to His Father

Jesus did so that we (them) would not give into whatever temptation satan may use to discredit us (them). Prayer puts us in direct communication with the source of our strength, if there was ever a time we needed God's help its at our temptation.

Their temptation was giving into the flesh and its cravings. That would include its weaknesses. At a time when they should've been praying He found them asleep at a time they should have been encouraging him, they were asleep, tired, yes stiil, no excuse. No wonder He says "truly the spirit is willing, but the body/flesh is weak".

Seeking the Fathers will/desire for their lives. Submitting to His Lordship of their lives. Not seeking approval for some venture of their own.

Eventually, after Christ's sufferings and crucifixtion, they slowly began to understand the full extent of their need to pray in this manner.

Very simply, "Thy will be done". Total submission to God's will, without question.

When it comes to a complete emptying of self, a complete surrender its personal and private. Christ spent all His time openly before/with His disciples. This was a private moment between Him and His Father. Shared privately first then publically.

SJesus knew his most difficult hour was upon Him and that the disciples were not fully aware of the moment and needed the presence of God to deal with it.

He knew they would face the temptation of disowning Him for fear of their own lives.

Their prayers needed to be about their integrity during the arrest of Jesus - how they should respond and support Him in His acceptance of death in view of resurrection. They needed to face the horror of it all in prayer so that they might not, in the terrible moment of arrest, turn their backs on Him and pretend they were not His disciples. This would be the temptation for them.

They were too sleepy to really enter into this prayer.

The Lord's Prayer quotes "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil".

Jesus needed to be alone with His Father because , even with all He had taught the disciples and prepared them for this moment, they were not able to help Him now. He needed to ask His Father for a reprieve if possible, and yet to insist on His Father's plan and purpose being achieved for the salvation of the world. He needed His unity with the Father now more than anything else in the world. This is something that only happens "in the closet". No-one else can do this for us. No-one else can interpose on this amazing unity that happens when alone with God. Life, death, angels, principalities, power, things past present of future, nothing can separate us from the love of God - and Jesus needed this time with His Father before His trial. He needed one more time to establish that total Sonship, that annointing, that indivisible unity with the Father in order to face the next day. He needed to identify again, with power, with the vision and purpose God had for His taking humanity on Himself. No-one could do that for or with Him. It is always us and God alone.

Jesus knew the time had come for Him to face what He had come to earth for,He also knew that when His disciples faced this time they wolud be distraught and overcome by fear.He had warned them on various occassions that He had to die however they did not fully comprehend what He was saying.Jesus asked them to pray for the help they needed at the time of this crisis as help cold only could only come from the Father.

They were to pray that they would not succumb to temptation.They did not pray this prayer diligently ,for they were tired and fell asleep.The Lord had taught His disciplies to pray to the Father asking Him not to lead them into temptation.We very often misunderstand this prayer ,thinking that it is the Father that leads us into temptation.We live in a fallen world and we dont have to go looking out for temptations,they are around us all the time.What Jesus ment was that we should pray and ask the Father to give us the strength to say no to temptation.

I do believe that our relationship with the Lord is a one on one,There are paths that we have to walk alonewith God.It is in these intimate moments that God is able to minister to our specific needs.The alone times with God are the most profound times in our life,and it is in these times He reveals His will and equips us for our tasks.There can be no substitute.