JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Prayer of Submission

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Father was deeply pleased with this prayer. He is always pleased when we choose Him over ourselves, for in that we focus all glory on Him and we exercise great faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God. (Heb.11:6)

Thank you, Pastor Ralph, for this challenge to the surrender of my will. I have never heard it stated so clearly, and it rings true. I learned a long time ago about praying more specifically (deeper than a "Lord, save everybody" kind of prayer, for example). I actually have surrendered many times, but inconsistently and certainly not with so much deliberate consciousness. How can I surrender something I don't even have possession of, something I haven't owned up to, something I haven't identified and defined? That is passive, careless, and dispassionate, and I imagine that kind of approach to God from a maturing believer is like the lukewarm faith of Rev.3:16 that turns His stomach.

To pray the prayer of submission with authenticity, (#1) I must be honest with myself about what my desires are. I need to identify and define my thoughts, feelings, and wants

• 2 weeks later...

When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

Yes

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done?

The Father does not want robots. He created us with a desire and a mind of our own. He wanted people to submit to Him not to be just yes-men. A true disciple sits at the feet of the master loving the guidance and instruction he receives from the master. When we pray we need to bring our desires and cares to the Father. Then we are to sit quietly and listen to the desires of the Father. If we bring nothing we receive nothing.

What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

We need to understand relationship between the Father and us. He is God we are not. We are the servants He is the master. He is holy and we are nothing but retched sinners with out Jesus the savior He provided for us.

When Jesus prayed "Thy will be done, not mine" we need to realize the Son of Man and God KNEW WHAT HIS FATHER'S WILL WAS, and in his humanity he did not want this horrible shameful , painful, draining death He faced. Yes His Father was very pleased when He prayed , " Neverthless ,not my will but thine be done" Jesus' love for His Father was very deep and so He really wanted to please His Father.

Jesus also knew the purpose of His coming sacrificial death, which was also His whole purpose for becoming a human being, so He knew how vital His death and resurrection was for fulfilling the Father's will for His beloved creation.

Our Father has made known to us also, His will for His people and has given us commandments to teach us His will. All provisions have been given to us to be made into the likeness of Christ which is His goal for us. So when we refuse to consider His will over our own, and just say "thy will be done" without comprehension or consideration of what His will might be in certain circumstances, we are NOT showing respect or love for our Father' wisdom and love for our lives....for He is a GOOD FATHER. We are only displaying our own selfishness and sinful heart's desires...which we are choosing often over what we know is not His will.

Honesty and inward evaluation of our own hearts in comparision to what we already know is His will plus MUCH LOVE FOR HIM is required for us to come to submission to His will being done over our own. Sometimes, when I am not sure, or not willing, or rebellous, I pray to Him, "Lord make me willing to be made willing for your will to be done" so I can pray honestly. In other words, I am saying, I really want my own will Father, and cannot honestly say to you "Thy will be done", but I want to want your will to be done, so help me in my unbelief and warwardness, please. This sort of is like a child who wants his candy NOW, and asks his parent to please save it for him to eat when his parent is ready to give it to him, or after he is filled with his "spinach" and maybe he wont crave the candy when he has been fed what is good for him. Usually when I pray this prayer I feel the power of submission and willingness to my becoming more open to having my own will changed into His perfect will,, for I know He loves me and wants only what is BEST for me. Love of my Father and trusting him are the keys to submission for me.

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

Yes - God is not pleased when we are passive and insincere in our prayer requests. He wants us to have that special initimate relationship to Him that we can come to Him with anything, with our preferences and our concerns of a situation. But then we need to pray sincerely the prayer of submission also that we disire that His will be done.

When Jesus prayed "Thy will be done, not  mine" we need to realize the Son of Man and God KNEW WHAT HIS FATHER'S WILL WAS, and in his humanity he did not want this horrible shameful , painful, draining death He faced.  Yes His Father was very pleased when He prayed , " Neverthless ,not my will but thine be done" Jesus' love for His Father was very deep and so He really wanted to please His Father.

Jesus also knew the purpose of His coming sacrificial death, which was also His whole purpose for becoming a human being, so He knew how vital His death and resurrection was for fulfilling the Father's will for His beloved creation.

Our Father has made known to us also, His will for His people and has given us commandments to teach us His will.  All provisions have been given to us to be made into the likeness of Christ which is His goal for us.  So when we refuse to consider His will over our own, and just say "thy will be done" without comprehension or consideration of what His will might be in certain circumstances, we are NOT showing respect or love for our Father' wisdom and love for our lives....for He is a GOOD FATHER.  We are only displaying our own selfishness and sinful heart's desires...which we are choosing often over what we know is not His will.

Honesty and inward evaluation of our own hearts in comparision to what we already know is His will plus MUCH LOVE FOR HIM is required for us to come to submission to His will being done over our own.  Sometimes, when I am not sure, or not willing, or rebellous, I pray to Him, "Lord make me willing to be made willing for your will to be done" so I can pray honestly.  In other words, I am saying, I really want my own will Father, and cannot honestly say to you "Thy will be done", but I want to want your will to be done, so help me in my unbelief and warwardness, please.  This sort of is like a child who wants his candy NOW, and asks his parent to please save it for him to eat when his parent is ready to give it to him, or after he is filled with his "spinach" and maybe he wont crave the candy when he has been fed what is good for him.  Usually when I pray this prayer I feel the power of submission and willingness to my becoming more open to having my own will changed into His perfect will,, for I know He loves me and wants only what is BEST  for me.  Love of my Father and trusting him are the keys to submission for me.

When i am passive about God's will in my life, because i can Know that "all things wrk etc"i tend to leave that thot alone...and go to the next...yet

when i ask myself"how's that workin for ya?" and think back to the time when i was very aware of our Lord's presence in my life...moment by moment..this is where i'd like to stay..constantly aware of His nearness and His will being reflected in my inner most being..for years this was my almost constant awareness of Him with me...all the time... i sure miss this...and have been praying heartfelt prayers for a return to this...i realize that apart from Him i can do nothing..He knows what i need..and i'm waiting ready, i think," to go..ready to stay..ready my place to fill, ready for service lowly or great,

ready to do His will"

:rolleyes:

Yes, I think the Father was happy because Jesus was truly willing to let God's will be done in His life. At the same time I believe that the Father was saddened that it had to come to this.

Passive, uncaring, dispassionate prayers mean notheing. It comes back to the "God if you do this for me I'll do this for you." He wants to hear prayers that are real, from the heart. From your own Holy of Holies.

A prayer of submission should come from deep within the heart. To let Him have all control in our lives. We need to surrender all things to Him and let Him work though us, to let His light shine so that others may see and want to know what it is that is different from other people.

REMEMBER, JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!

When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

Yes the Father was pleased. We are created to have a reltionship with God, passivity is not a relationship. We must actually DESIRE Go's will not just want His permission.

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

The Father was most definitely pleased when Jesus prayed that the Father's will be done, not His. Too often, when we pray for direction, we tell God what our preference is (I'm very guilty of this), hoping that this will somehow influence God. I myself have been in this situation. God becomes displeased because we focus too much on our own desires rather than on His. We simply have to sacrifice our own feelings and pray with sincerity that God's will is done.

Yes He was pleased,because God knew that Jesus was doing His will and not his own. God knew that Jesus is a true servant. He trusted God with the decision.

It shows that we don't trust God with His decisions.

We must tell God what we want but accept His answer as His will being done. After telling Him we must accept whatever the outcome and know that that is the will of God. God's desire for our lives is far better than we could imagine so to accept the outcome as God's will, will give us strength & faith and keep us in the will of God.

God was very pleased because knowing the pain and trial He faced, He still chose to trust and follow God. It was deliberate choice Jesus made because he knew, loved and trusted His Father.

Many Christians have a dispassionate attitude. "You're going to do what you're going to do anyway God, so why do I need to pray ?" Often they abandon prayer as useless ritual. To do this is to deny that God wants a relationship with you and that you fail to understand His nature.

Yes the father was pleased because Jesus was surrending to the will of the Father, an not his will. How can the father be pleased with the attidude of some (our) the christian brothers & sister a lot of (church goers) christian are only sunday christians. In order to stay in the will of the Father we must surrender to his will and nit our will.

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

YES, I BELIEVE THE FATHER WAS TRULY PLEASED BECAUSE JESUS PUT GOD'S WILL ABOVE EVERYTHING, EVEN ABOVE HIS OWN. MAKING GOD FIRST IN HIS LIFE.

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done?

THE FATHER IS PLEASED WHEN WE COMMIT TO A RELATION SHIP WITH HIM. HE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT IS IN OUR HEARTS. HE WANTS US TO OPEN UP TO HIM AND TO SHARE OUR INNERMOST DESIRES WITH HIM AS LONG AS THEY ARE WITHIN HIS WILL.

IT IS REQUIRED FOR US TO BE TRUTHFUL IN OUR PRAYERS TO THE FATHER. IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT FOR US TO ACKNOWLEDGE OUR LOVE FOR HIM AND ACKNOWLEDGE HIS WILL FIRST AND FOREMOST. BUT IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT FOR US TO BE OPEN WITH HIM. AND IT IS JUST AS IMPORTANT FOR US TO ESTABLISH A RELATIONSHIP MAKING HIM ALL IN OUR LIVES.

[COLOR=green]Yes, the Father was mighty pleased with His Son. He is always pleased with anyone who put the Father's will above self. The Son was willing to lay down His life at the behest of His Father. What more can the Father expect? He expects absolute obedience from each one us, His children. Can't we strive to please Him!!! He is not pleased when we carelessly utter words in our prayers that have no meaning. Mechanically uttered phrases, heavily used phrases, flowery language phrases, all these have no meaning if there is no backing of the heart in it. God is not bothered about them and they hardly cross the roof under which they are uttered. What is required is absolute involvement in the said prayer, as we have learnt in the earlier study on Daniel's prayer. Such kind of involvement in the intercession yields results. God wants that kind of commitment from His children so that He could honor them as He is a promise keeping God and prayer answering God. We are privileged and honored to have a faithful God as our Father. May we be sincere while praying and submitting our petitions before Him.[/color]

When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

yes he was pleased, knowing what he knew and asking to be let out of it. yet if there's no other way willing to do GOD's will because GOD knows all.

Oh I am sure He is pleaseed, because I bet Jesus meant it when He said it!

Because He most certainly knows our real feelings, attitudes, and motives behind every word we say, knowing full well our sincerity about everything we ask for. Sometimes I like that, sometimes I don't.

Genuine surrender to the Father's wishes, OBEDIENCE.

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

Yes he was pleased he put God's will before his own therefore putting God where he belongs in first place at all times.

God has always wanted a relationship with man. He created us to be able to fellowship with him. He wants us to bring our petitions before him boldly and know that he is our God and he will hear us and answer our prayers.

Put God first the only place he will take in our lives. He wants us to be open and become a friend not just a begging pity party that will fall apart and not put our trust in him. We must except Jesus as our Lord and Savior then take all things before God asking still knowing that it is his will we need in our lives. He knows the things of the future we do not. His will is always best.

Q3. When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the father pleased. Yes He was seeking He was seeking obediance to do the Father's will.

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pay the prayer of submission with authenticity? We need to have total surrender to the Lord, and be obedient to what he wants for our lives, not what we want.

I do believe Father God was pleased with his son, and why He was petitioning Him. Yet! Jesus knew what the will of God was for Him.

We tend not to own up to our responsibility, our preference is to pass the buck, or avoid the issue all together. Yet in the deepest part of ours heart we know, we understand our responsibilities and what we need to do. To walk with the Lord will cost us, to live for Him will cost us, and to do His will; will cost us. We gladly pay the price, because we all know the ultimate reward.

Yes the Father was pleased because it demonstrated total submission the the Fathers desire/will. Abandoning all other attempts to remove the cup. Satisfying Himself with doing the Fathers will.

Because we sometimes just accept what the Fathers says without at least expressing our own thoughts/desires before surrender to His will. He already knows what we're thinking (which is left unsaid). God is not dictator, remembering Hezekiah, he spoke what was on his heart and God change His course of action and added 15 years to his life. We have not because we ask not.

Expressing how we truly feel without holding back, then demonstrating obedience to the Father by surrendering and saying never-the-less (regardless of what I want, I want what you want) your will be done (has won me over).

When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

Yes, he was please. For he wanted to do what his Father set out for him to do.

He is not pleased because when we pray those kind of prayers. HE wants us to care about him. He wants us to come to him and show that we really care about him and what we ask him for.

He wants us to show that we care about our relationship to him. He wants to know that he is first in our lives and that we are not just out to get what we can from him.

I think Father was very excited when Jesus prayed that prayer of submission, because that was the biggest hurdle of Jesus' human life - the biggest thing for Him to overcome. There had been the long nights of prayer on the mountains, the fourty day fast, the tears over Jerusalem, the offering up of His personal life (wife, family etc), but the willingness to be the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world left the other sacrifices in relative oblivion.

We have the need to worship the Father with all our heart, mind, soul and strength (a bit like people barrack at the football!). Less than this is pure insult to the Father whose love for us is deeply passionate and totally self-sacrificial. It means He cannot engage with us because we are simply not tuned in! It cancels our relationship with God. It displays our total ignorance of the deeply passionate heart of our Father, or our deafness and blindness to Him.

For us to pray the prayer of submission authentically, we need to know God. This means that we spend much time in His presence in our prayer closet. This means that we have a heart that yearns for His truth above all else. It means we have lost the heart that wants to please the world and have trusted in His wisdom because we have experienced life in His terms. Submission is something that goes on and gets deeper as we go and learn. It grows with knowledge. It grows with love. It grows with wisdom and understanding (which Proverbs says is the chief thing). It grows with the fruit of the Spirit. It grows under the annointing, and we need to walk all our moments in the annointing or else run back to it constantly. This is our submission, that nothing else matters but to please our Father because His will is perfect.

When Jesus prayed not my will but yours be done,was the Father pleased? Yes i think that he was confessing and submitting to the cup of wrath that Jesus had to drink from. Jesus was in pain and agnony over the fate that he had to face once on Calvary.

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring in our prayers that the will of God be done in our lives? Cause we want to do our own things and not follow what Godhas for us.We at times do not want to submit to the Savior but hwen we do something out of His will then we start to grow anxious and not follow God's love.

What is required for us to pray the prayer of submissionwith authenticity?

i feel that as servants and apostles we need to give all of our hearts and suls when we pray also submitting.Submission may not sit well but if we want to be blessed and inherit heaven then we do pray with sincertity.