JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. High and Lofty One

Pastor Ralph

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every part of this description of the Lord is humbling. I am the complete opposite of Him, in every way. He is High and Lofty; I am lowly and insignificant. He inhabits eternity; I am mortal. He is Holy; I am impure and imperfect. I can only praise Him that, because of Christ in me, He would see fit to lift me high and exalt me, allow me to spend the "rest of eternity" with Him, and make me holy. What incredible and amazing love, indeed!

I am first struck by the fact that there is no other that is greater than He. He has chosen to reveal this of Himself that we might know Him, and that knowing Him through the revelation of Himself in this way lets us know "He's not just another god, but truly God of god's". High and lofty gives the connotation of "there's more". This represents not only His position but His domain, His claim as "High & Lofty" announces that there's none above nor is there another dwelling place apart or aside from His. (All of creation and all of space is His realm.) It helps secure my belief and position in Him because there's none Higher, there's no other higher authority or court of appeals to which I may contest, protest or appeal. Causing me to revel in His Glory, and blush with pride (knowing that He has called ME.)

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

God is seen as the High and Exalted one, One that is above all the earth, above all other gods.With this description of God, I put my whole trust in HIM knowing fully well that there is no one that is higher than HIM. HE is a God that can do all things. A God that abodes in heaven and uses the earth as HIS footstool. MAY HIS NAME BE GLORIFIED

God is high above all earth.

He is above all other gods.

He inhabits eternity, meaning He is forever.

The fact He wants us to share eternity with Him is very humbling.

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase? How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

God is elavated above everyone and everything in the universe...nothing is above Him. He is the Final Authority. He inhabits eternity means that He is forever. He always was and always will be...His name is holy and should be reverred as such. God sees all in all things, therefore I must always conduct myself in a manner that is honorable to Him, not only because He sees it, but because I love Him and want to please Him.

The phrase " High and Lofty One " implies to me that God is above or in some realm or

other phase of existance but that he controlls and is above me, and people. others and myself

need to know he is aware all the time of what we do and how we behave and all

He is lofty, high and eternal. what we do is now but it will effect how we are seen in the

eternal plain of things. so when I mess up , sin etc he knows and well forgiveness needs to

be asked for .... Yes he died and we are forgiven but now after salvation if we mess up it

affects our relationship with him if not with others so I need to keep in mind he is high and

lofty and aware all seeing. and keep my relationship with him in place.

Also be aware to communicate to him that I know he's there and what he controlls and that

He is loved and appricated etc....

Q3. Meditate on the phrase "High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy...." (Isaiah 57:15, RSV). What do you learn about God from this phrase?

He is exalted, He will reign forever.

How should this affect your outlook on life, your way of conducting yourself?

I should Glorify His Name and live my life like I am the only Jesus someone sees. :rolleyes:

The love God has for mankind made Him to lower Himself so low to reach us. All other religions of the world have no any provision for the sinful man to come to its deity except Christianity. Jesus Christ has actually made this possible with His coming. Thus Christ has become poor for all that are poor to become rich even when the same seems to be dying in abject poverty like Lazarus.The position God owns and occupies should frighten us istead the opposite is the case as we can come to His throne of grace with boldness.

His name be praised.Amen.

The love God has for mankind made Him to lower Himself so low to reach us. All other religions of the world have no any provision for the sinful man to come to its deity except Christianity. Jesus Christ has actually made this possible with His coming. Thus Christ has become poor for all that are poor to become rich even when the same seems to be dying in abject poverty like Lazarus.The position God owns and occupies should frighten us instead the opposite is the case as we can come to His throne of grace with boldness.

His name be praised.Amen.

That all honor belongs to Him and Him alone and that humility is what He looks for in our lives. In order for us to worship Him in spirit and truth we much come humblely in His presence and no pride can abide in our hearts and that's why unforgiveness can't be in our prayers because the only one that has a right to be lofty is He the Most High God the one that was sending His Son to redeem us and this is what Abraham saw in his understanding that he was going to need a Savior and he was a sinner that he needed redemption, and now we see we need a Savior and we are a sinner and we need redemption. We're all connected together with Him and we all need Jesus and without Him we have no redemption and no pride will get us in the presence of the High and Lofty One.

High & Lofty means to me Above all the most important all knowing all powerful and everywhere

I affects me in my daily thinking if He is in control why should I worry as He knows what is best for me not I . But in my humanly ways I worry and fret about tomorrow or later to occupy myself and it makes my faith weaker . If I trusted and had more faith I wouldn't worry at all about anything and be content with what God is doing in my life.

• 1 month later...

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit"

"He is looking for those of us who are broken and willing to turn to Him"

"He is looking for people who have baggage, people who are distressed, and people who don't know which way to turn"

I should have a :

Humble heart, an open mind, ready to be led, and a repentant soul.

:)

What a beautiful passage!

I learn from this that He is beyond our scope of imagination, dwelling outside of time and space, and all that we know, yet dwells with those who are humble and contrite! What other god that has ever been conjured has ever desired a relationship with a human? He states that He will "dwell" with him who has a contrite and humble spirit. To dwell with someone means to live with them! We get to live with God, THE God! When I think of it, I want to please Him, like my children desire to please me and make me happy with good behavior, creating a nice picture for me, etc.

That's how I feel towards the Most High; like He's my Daddy whom I want to please. Do you realize we're children of the King, adopted sons and daughters of the Most High God? Wow.

• 1 month later...

when I visualize God as being the High and Lofty One, I see him as being over and above all else, no-one being able to attain the greatness and majesty of who He is.

He is the Holy, set-apart, sacred God. in the original Hebrew text Holy comes from Qadash or Xdq meaning to consecrate, dedicate, to be hallowed, separate, show oneself sacred and majestic.

He is Established in eternity (heb. shakan) eternity is his dwelling place and home.

this should affect my life becasue he helps me to know that He is above all, in all, set apart, He is the beginning and the end, First and Last, and that no matter what he has my life in his hands. He is in control of all things. He is to be set apart in my life, and I am to be set apart to Him as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I learn that God is high above, but watching over us, and knowing what happens everyday to us. God is up above watching over us as a Shepherd watches his flock. Affecting me in the way that I know that even one minute I might be paying attention to work, he is paying attention and watching over me..

Here I learn that holiness is a part of God

High and Lofty one tells me God is above all creation, there is none like Him, none above Him. He is holy and he will never go away. He will never leave me. He lives in a high and holy place. I imagine this to be heaven, but he says is is also with the contrite and lowly in spirit. This tells me that though He is High and Lofty, He is also here with me. That when times are hard and I think I cannot go on, all I have to do is turn to God and he will be there to revive me. This is prophetic to the time when Jesus acended into heaven and told us he was not leaving us alone, but the promise of God, the Holy Spirit, would be with us always living inside us.

Knowing God lives inside me makes me very happy. I want to please him. And I know I can depend on Him as my source, my comforter is distress. I will walk with my head held high, and a smile on my face, always praising His name. Thanking Him just for who He is, the High and Lofty One.

• 4 weeks later...

God is the Most High and there is nothing in the whole world that you can compare Him with.

When I think of this I should Honor My God , with the greatest respect , more than we normal give to our rulers in this earth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That God is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. That time has no meaning for Him as He inhabits the past, present and future; that He is infinite, never ending. That God and God alone deserves all glory, all honor, all praise and worship. That He knows all; sees all; that nothing happens without His being aware of it. He is I AM and that means to me that He is everything that I could ever need, want or desire.

Because God is Holy, we as His children should fight the good fight of faith, and desire above all else to be vessels of honor for His glory. To let go of self, and allow Him to form and fashion us as He wills for His good pleasure. We should long to please Him first, before pleasing ourselves. I believe that our personal times of prayer with the Lord should begin with praise and worship for who He is, and asking Him to show us where we can be of service to Him that day.

• 2 weeks later...

This phrase empasizes the truth that our God is higher and above all other gods. Despite His greatness, He still loves and looks out for small me and you.

It also reiterates the truth that God is a Holy God and he expects no less from us as His children. We are to live our life in reverence of Him and in purity. "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?"...NO. we should live our lives circumspectly unto Him, giving glory to Him always.

• 4 weeks later...

High and Lofty One!!!!! It seems to me that the supremacy and greatness of God is raised another notch upwards (assuming this is possible!). The thought is sublime and attempts to invoke a sense of upliftment far beyond the limits of the universe. It is like going far into space in an attempt to plumb His elevation.

This understanding should both fill us with awe and trembling before His majestic greatness in true adoration and worship of Him. At the same time, it comfort us in know that "for this God is our God" and nothting can by any means, hurt us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

High and Lofty- the Lord is above all other things...

Who inhabits eternity- He exists outside of time...

Whose name is Holy- He is set apart from all other things.

The rest of the verse says that amazingly He choses to dwell with those who have a contrite

heart and a humble spirit. The amplified Bible says "penitent[bruised with sorrow for sin]".

In looking at life and my way of conducting myself, it is a reminder to humble myself and continually grieve over sin. I desire to live a life that brings Him the honor and glory due to Him.