JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Commander of the Armies of the Lord

Pastor Ralph

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

Because He wanted Joshua to know that is Commander regardless. Joshua and the Israelites must line up with His cause not He their cause. He felt the presence, holiness and sovereignty of God. He felt assurance of victory because God is with him.

This was an enlightening thought. We tend to get caught up in being on the right or wrong side of things, and then we want the LORD to pick our side and give us favor. All along, the true question is simply if we're on the LORD's side. He doesn't "choose sides". His agenda is the only one He is concerned about.

Joshua approached this man standing before him with a sword drawn in his hand with the boldness of an army commander. But when he realized that this man was the Commander of the army of the LORD, Yahweh Himself, he fell to the ground in prostrate humility. Before this encounter, I imagine Joshua was unsure how they would ever penetrate Jericho's defenses. This word of courage from Shaddai, this proclamation of victory from Yahweh-Sabaoth empowered Joshua to obey what God directed him to do with confidence and basically just watch with a spirit of peace as the LORD defeat Israel's enemies. Can you imagine the excitement and awe of seeing that victory right in front of your eyes?!

I'm called to obedience, but the truth is, the LORD really doesn't need my help! He is the all-mighty, all-powerful, all-victorious Warrior and Commander-in-Chief. And He's fighting for me because I am on His agenda! I don't need to seek the victories; I need to simply seek the Victor.

Because we should be enlisted in His cause, its all about God's plan. If there is any side to take, we must find ourselves on His side. We have tendency to look at things from our perspective and not God's. This was a reality check, He didn't come to choose side, but to remind us of whose side we're on.

The significance is He was sent not so much to help as to refocus our efforts, the victory is already ours so fighting from victory ground should cause us to look unto Him. The Commander in Chief found Joshua almost fearful according to his response at seeing Him (whose side are you on, or in affect if you're not our enemy help us). Joshua was given specific instructions from God at Moses' death "as I was with Moses' even will I be with you" no matter who showed up Joshua was a winner in battle.

Joshua was certainly encouraged after this exchange, but Joshua should have remembered God's words to him, maintaining a good relationship with God would produce GOOD SUCCESS. I too would have been greatly lifted and emboldened (I certainly will not blame or accuse Joshua of fainting or being weak in fairth, not me of all people, I'm looking in retrospect only).

The Captain of the Lord"s host appears to joshua. This man was the Son of God,the eternal Word. Joshua gave him divine honours.he received them. He appearedto joshua as a man of war.Christ will be to his people what their faith needs. Christ had his sword drawn, which encouraged Joshua to carry on the war with vigour.Christ"s sword drawn in his hand, denotes how ready he is for the defence and salvation of his people. His sword turns every way. Joshua will know whether he is a friend or a foe. Joshua"s inquiry shows an earnest desire to know the will of Christ,and a cheerful readiness and resolution to do it all All true Christian must fight ender Christ"s banner

The Commander told Joshua he was on neither side because Israel's army must be enlisted to God's cause not the other way around.

He is the Commander not they.

Often when we go thru trials we ask "Is God on my side?".

What we should be asking is "Am I on God's side?".

Joshua feels God's presence during this encounter.

He has an attitude of worship as he lies on the ground prostrate before the Lord.

Afterward Joshua feels confident he can go into battle, knowing the Lord will be with him.

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

The Commander had to say that because HE is not the one to be on anybody's side. We are to be on his side. we do not have any choice than just to do that So Israel's army must be enlisted in HIS cause and that is even the reason why HE appeared in the first place.

During this encounter Joshua felt the presence of GOD all over him. He reverenced God and after the encounter Joshua was assured that victory was theirs. He became bold and strong because already the assurance has been given to him by the Commander as we can see in Joshua 1:9 ''Have i not commanded you, be strong and courageous.Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go'' That is enough assurance. May the name of Yahweh-Sabaoth be praised forever.Amen.

I HAVE ANSWERED THIS QUESTION TWICE BUT FOR SOME REASON IT DOES NOT LOG. i BELIEVE THE COMMANDER WAS CHRIST AND THAT HE WAS TELLING JOSHUA THAT IT WAS NOT FOR HIM TO BE ON JOSHUA'S SIDE BUT FOR HIM TO BE ON THE LORDS SIDE. WE CAN EITHER SERVE GOD OR THE WORLD IT IS OUR CHOICE BUT GOD WILL ALWAYS HAVVE SOME ONE WHO WILL SERVE HIM AND IT IS UP TO US TOCHOSE CORRECTLY. jOSHUA CHOSE RIGHT WHEN HE FELL T THE GROUND AND WORSHIPED THE LORD AND GOT UP WITH A SENSE THAT HE WAS CHOSEN BY GOD TO OVER COME HIS ENEMIES.

The Commander stated that He was on neither side because the war is His and that we are to be on HIS side in all things. Joshua was amazed and reverent; he fell prostrate and asked what God wanted him, His servant, to do. After the encounter, Joshua was surefooted and confident in battle because he knew the Lord was with him.

In my opinion a realization of God's holiness affects Isaiah by causeing fear in his heart and

being. As most old testament believers in God knew that you could not see God and live.

and he had most likely heard that the High priests in the temple if not clean before God died if they

entered Gods presence in the holy of holy's . God hid moses from seeing Him in a clef of a rock/

and Here he was aware of the Bad of his sin and the Goodness of God and he felt he was in danger

of death to behold God or be in God's presence.

God sends his angle to take a hot stone or cole from the fire and cause it to touch the lips of Isaiah

The cole represented in those days ( heaping coles on one's head represented making good come

of badness or evil.) so the cole was a symbol of God making his evil lips and words burnt away and

making him pure again.

So God made him holy- as set apart to be of service . And Isiaha replied to god by volunteering

to be sent to do God's bidding ... to be used of God in some service or task.

Becaues "The Commander" was God or Jesus. in the form we could see... He was on neither side

of the war on earth. Joshua had to be on God's Side. I imagine Joshua was quite shaken though

encouraged by this encounter. It is not or was not every day that someone experienced the presence

of God whatever form that presence of God took so shaken yet strengthened .

Joshua was going to battle and was nerveous and unsure I think and now that the presence of

God had assurred him the God was his Strength and the battle was won due to Joshua's being

on God's side and being Joshua's heart was with God and he was obedient to God.

After this experience I feel Joshua still prepared and still had his physicl nerveousness but in

Joshua's heart and soul he was strengthened and knew that God would give him victory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

His reply of neither indicates that this was the pre incarnated Son of God the Lord Jesus Christ the coming Deliver of man kind and that His reply of neither tells us that His battles are not with flesh and blood but with the enemies to the host of heaven. (Eph 6) and (Gen 3). Even here all of Heaven is at war with satan and his demons the ones behind the king and his people that Joshua is about to encounter. Whenever there is war in the world there is world in the heavens for it starts first in the spiritual and its always to liberate mankind. So God plans for them to have the land they had to encounter their enemy here and Christ the Anointed on of God, captain of the Armies of the Lord and the Lord of Host was waging war in the heavens. Joshua had come to understand this and this is why he ask, are you for us or are you against us?

The request for Joshua to remove His shoes was to see if he would humble himself in the presence of God and to understand that the war in heaven had been won and that the war for this land will be won and to take it. That if God be for them who could be against them. The promise that was made to Joshua was once again confirmed that where ever he put his foot the land was his to take. And the appearance of God Himself assured Joshua of this. The act of bowing is the act of humility and the acknowledgement of there is only one True Living God and without Him we are defeated in everything we do at some point we will fail even if it doesn't look like it cause its the different's in our salvation and where we will spend eternity.

So, Joshua felt very humble but yet very brave because all of the Armies of with him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

The Commander said He was on neither side because He was there to be in control of the army and defeat HIS enemies. The significance of this is that evil is an affront to GOD and is HIS enemy. HIS laws have been broken and the battle is HIS. Joshua appeared to be in awe of the Lord Commander since he fell down and worshipped. Further in the text, Joshua appears assured as he instructs the army of what the Lord had commanded to be done.

• 5 weeks later...

It was Joshua that was the servant of the LORD, not the other way around.

We should be following our commander into battle, not determining our own path.

Joshua felt humbled and blessed. Afterwards he would have felt close to God, reassured in his heart of what he must do, and honoured that God chose him to reveal himself.

• 2 weeks later...

BECAUSE WE NEED TO REMEMBER THAT GOD LOVES US ALL. ALTHOUGH THE ARMIES WERE BATTLINGHE CRUMBLED THE WALLS ON THE NON-BELIEVERS AND LEFT A SMALL ARMY (FOLLOWERS) TO INTERACT WITH. DURING THE ENCOUNTER JOSHUA FELT USELESS, HELPLESS AND UNSURE. AFTER THE ENCOUNTER JOSHUA FELT STRONG, VERY SURE OF HIMSELF BECAUSE HE WITNESSED THE POWER AND GLORY OF GOD.

The Commander said that he was on neither side because he was there to direct and conduct his own army. He was not there to follow somebody else

• 2 weeks later...

GOD does not pick sides. We are to be on His side always. So He told Joshua that He was on niether side, that He was the commander of God's army. I am sure, that when Joshua was told to take his sandals off because he was on Holy Ground, he realized he was talking to God. I can't recall anywhere in the Bible where a messenger from God ever said that. You only find when God is speaking that you are told you are on Holy Ground. Therefore, Joshua fell on his face before the LORD, he was reverant, he was awed, I am sure he probably felt very honored, and maybe he felt a unworthy that GOD would come and talk to him like this face to face. Joshua knew that the battle was already won. God Himself had told him so. So he felt confident, strong, ready to go forward and fight the battle and win.

• 3 weeks later...

God was the Commander of the Army not Joshua , He could neither be on either side because they where them to choose on which side they were .

Feeling hopeless reminds us that we are helpless without God . We should be on God's side , so that in case of any trouble He will rescue us.

• 2 weeks later...

Joshua needed to realize he was on God side. He fell before the angel and he felt the presence of God he could not move after the encounter he felt like he could now go and win the battle because he knew by hearing from God that He was with him and that He would win the battle for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the Commander was Jesus and He is on no side, but only seeks the Father's will.

This is significant because it put the battle in proper perspective for Joshua.

Joshua was humbled by the encounter.

He was encouraged and empowered afterward.