JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Seeking Wealth vs. God

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Getting rich is not problem but greed leads to all kinds of evil: marriage problems, robbery, blowups in partnerships. To master greed, you must control it at its root. Get rid of the desire to be rich.

Jesus says we can have only one master. We live in a materialistic society where many people serve money. They spend all their lives collecting and storing it, only to die and leave it behind. Their desire for money and what it can buy far outweighs their commitment to God and spiritual matters. Whatever you store up, you will spend much of your time and energy thinking about. Don

If we look into some of Jesus' sayings we get quite a shock.

Consider this: If you so much as check out a sexy woman you've committed adultery with her. If you call your brother a worthless fool you're bound for the fires of hell! It's in there, look it up. There are plenty more sayings similar to these. Jesus also tells us we must be perfect like our Father in Heaven is perfect. He also tells us to be even more obedient to the Law of Moses than the scribes and the pharisees.

Hyperbole? I don't know.

You cannot serve God and money. Does Jesus mean that wealthy people can't serve God because they have half at least half their attention focused on keeping and increasing their wealth? That's what the passage says. I'm sure we all know of Christians who are wealthy and give large amounts of money to God's work. I reckon it's all in our attitude to wealth and possessions. Can we develop the mindset that everything we have is a gift from God and if He wants us to give it all away we have to be prepared to do just that? To really live our lives like that is extraordinarily difficult. We naturally want to keep what we've worked for. I suppose the wealthy person who built up their personal wealth from scratch would definitely begrudge giving it to someone he/she didn't consider deserving of it.

This is a real can of worms.

Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Jesus says that we can not serve two masters....and I think He means this.

I do not think it is an hyperbole.

No it is not figurative.

I think it is quite literal.

Yes, I think that wealthy people can indeed serve God. We do not have to be poor to seek the kingdom of God first. We do not want to make money the thing we live and die for.....we may need it to live but we NEED our Savior more. I think that wealthy people can serve God and be good stweards of their money....they can feed the hungry, clothe the naked.....and serve a living Christ Jesus.

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this?

Jesus teaching was not against man seeking after, trying to obtain

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can

As a the church of Christ, His bride, our Wealth and riches lay in Christ our Saviour, and the more we obey and praise Him the greater our riches become. All glory be to our Lord and King. Amen and again I say Amen.Thank you Jesus.

Email me

Those who are rich can actually help the work of God. The problem is not the money it is the love of it. What we have is the Lords any way. If we keep that in mind, then we can serve God with what we have. I think Jesus is talking figurativly, he is saying that when we put anything before the Lord that becomes our God and He will have no other gods before him. The rich can and are a help to the work of God by their giving missionaries can go the mission field and help the church to reach out to those in the church and those in the community.

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you cant seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

In Matthew 27: 57-60 we are told, "When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given to him. And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen shroud and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had cut in the rock. And he rolled a great stone to the entrance of the tomb and went away."

Joseph was not only rich, he was a disciple. If his gift to our Lord was notable enough for Matthew to record it and speak of Joseph by name, Jesus must have held this man in high regard.

Hyperbole is exaggeration and speaking figuratively, is often using imagery. To say that one cannot serve two masters is a simple statement. Much the same as saying that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. That is neither hyperbole or figurative speech, but a statement of fact. It will be either Christ first or something else. Whether it is a craving for money, or other things, job, fame, sex, to have other things in our viewfinder in the place of our Lord means that we are not following Him.

Joseph of Arimathea held his riches loosely in his hands. He knew that all of his wealth was God's. In giving the gift of that new tomb he was only returning to Jesus what already belonged to Him. The Lord owns the cattle on all the hills, He owns the hills. We all need to open our hands and release the grip we many times seem to have on all that God has given to us. In that way, whether we are wealthy or poor, the hunger for wealth will not keep us from serving the Lord.

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you cant seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

No, Jesus did NOT mean that we cannot seek wealth and God simultaneously. After all God is the one who gave us power to create wealth (Deut 8:18). There are many people in the bible who were wealthy for example Job, Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, Joseph, etc. They were all highly blessed by God. When Jesus said we could not serve both God and money, he was stating a fact. And the fact is money should not take the place of God. We are to trust God for our every need even though we may have a very healthy bank balance that provides for our every need and want. Our focus should be that God is our provider, we are dependent on Him and all we have comes from him and belongs to him. This way, we will not panicked if we lose the high flying job that pays the impressive salary, the bank which keeps our bank deposits go bankrupt, or the value of our extensive portfolios of stocks and bonds depreciate significantly.

Of course wealthy people can serve God. If fact, God blessed them with wealth to be a channel of blessing to others. There is a tremendous amount of work in God's kingdom that they can contribute to with their wealth.

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

yes, I am convinced that this statement is literal and Jesus truly means it. I say this based on the definition of the word "SEEK" - to search for, to try to reach or obtain. Based on this definition it would be "IMPOSSIBLE" for me, or for anyone else, to search fro gold in the state of California and the state of Alaska at the same time - either you are in California seeking, search, or trying to obtain the gold - or you are in Alaska doing the same - you cannot be in both places at the same time - so, as Jesus has proclaimed in Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

However, Jesus does tell us how we can have both in the 33rd verse But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

YES, I believe that the wealthy as well as the financially challenged, as well as those in between can and do serve God and are both sincere and effective in their service to Him. . .

Again, as Jesus said "No one can serve two masters" - everyone has to choose whom they will serve and be faithful in that service. Prioritizing - that is putting God first, and keeping Him first in our lives allows Him to bless us with whatever our needs and desires may be. If we need or desire Jesus says that we should "ASK" - "SEEK" - "KNOCK" - and by so doing we will "RECEIVE" - "FIND" - "BE INVITED IN". . .

JOSHUA CHAPTER 24 - 14Now therefore fear Jehovah, and serve him in sincerity and in truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River, and in Egypt; and serve ye Jehovah.

Q1 Yes and no. Depending on where your priority is - God or money. If one truly

trust in Jesus, one does not need so much money for God is our providence.

No, this is not hyperbole. God is our creator. He knows us through and through,

our weaknesses and our strength. With His tremendous love for us, He has sent His

only begotten Son to die and save us from the snares of the devil. In order to

protect us, Jesus at times has to be harsh on His words.

Figuratively or literally He has to get His message through to us so that we can

distinguish the right from the wrong.

Definitely wealthy people can serve God. After all their riches are blessings

from God. God is eternal whereas riches are temperary things. It can be taken

away from them or added a hundred fold depending on God. So smart wealthy people

need to put their focus right with God.

I have a question first..a) to whom was this saying directed, do we know in what context was this saying spoken.? I understand that this sermon on the mount was a compilation of Jeusus teaching by the author...so is there in the gospel another reference where this saying was directed to a specific audience, like the disciples or pharisees or rulers or a particular rich person like the one who came looking for Jesus and told to first go and sell his riches?

Could this mean not just money ..but symbolising "possession"...building a kingdom of material wealth as against depending on the kingdom of God?

I am a Babe in this walk, your question / point in my opinion is a good one. With the understanding that I have, I believe that even thought in Luke 16:9-15, the audience is of a narrower scope the Scriptures, Jesus is saying the same thing. It is impossible to serve to master. From the Amplified [You cannot serve God and mammon (riches, or anything in which you trust and on which you rely).] Wealth I agree with you is not just money, it can be defined in many ways.

There was some very good insight within the study that Pastor Ralph sent out. I totally agree with what he placed concerning this verse God should always be first in the lives of Believers. God desires to be first in the lives of the beings He said was very good.

Literally speaking you are not to seek after wealth for yourselves. Since all we have comes from God, we are to use it to promote God's Kingdom. We are to be charitable and give generously to those who are in need. "Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." 1 Corin. 4:2. Yes, wealthy people can serve God, as long as they do not worship and serve their wealth.

Jesus does not mind wealth if it is in the right area, and if you don't put your wealth above HIs glory. By this I mean Jesus wants to bless us, whheaather it is with monetary walth or some other as long as we bless HIM!! If we make our money honestly not dishonestly (by this I mean if you are getting wealthy selling drugs or anything else that is illeagal) then He will bless us.

I think I answered the last question in this already, but if you don't understand here it is in plain english: HONOR HIM AND HE WILL HONOR YOU; BLESS HIM AND HE WILL BLESS YOU!!!