JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Forgiving 7 Times

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? What does this teach us about God's willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

Jesus was meaning that we shouldn

Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively?

Figuratively

If figurative, what are they figurative of?

The number of time is not the focus, but moreso we are to forgive as often as a brethren offends, injures or hurt us and asks forgiveness, we are to forgive them. By forgiving the we are not to hold the offense against them, by remaining in a state of unhealthy emotional, spiritual and mental state. By forgiving genuinely we are declaring that we will not harbor malice or treat them unkindly.

What does this teach us about God

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? What does this teach us about God

I learned that seven is an odd number, a number that thus symbolizes eternity, as it can go round and round, without an end. My understanding it that he commands us to forgive endlessly, not to decide it's enough, which would be contrary to forgiving anyway. The whole point of forgiving is not to ever condemn a person (although I can know his/her action or attitude or whatever was or even is wrong), not to keep grudges, but to let go. Tis the only way to attain peace of the heart. But if Christ, through whom we are made, hadn't commanded it, we - at least I - wouldn't go that way. I am very grateful for this answer of his, though at the same time it is beyond difficult, but through God's love, his forgiveness, and his example... we can go His way. Just shows us how serious a business our sin is, and how serious and necessary forgiveness: 7 times 7 times.....

KES

Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively?

Thes numbers are meant as an illustration...so are figurative. Our forgiveness should be without limits.

I think God wants us to not be counting how many times we have forgiven, but to know by His generosity to us, we in turn should be giving with our love and forgiveness.

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively?According to Matthew 18 and Luke 17:4 they are figurative.

They are figurative of how many times we are to “forgive” – and according to Luke 17 we are to forgive those who have brought offence.

God teaches us, we are to confront the offence and the one who brought it, we are called to rebuke them, God has spoken, “Woe to them that bring this offence” the offence is not just against us, but against God and His Kingdom.

It is important the person understand this “woe” - allowing the person time to “repent” and to make things right - and after he repents, forgiveness is to be given, and God is telling us -“woe to us” if we do not in return, “forgive” them – as Peter asked God to increase his “faith” – we too must ask God to increase our “faith” - so that we may be obedient to God’s command, and allow “love” to lead us, it is important we not let offences linger and bring bitterness to our hearts, for we are part of His Kingdom, where love rules.

What does this teach us about God's willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

It teaches us the same lesson, “woe” to us - if when we sin and do not “repent” - turn from our “sin” for God’s mercy, His forgiveness is there for those who are truly sorry, to those who truly are part of the Kingdom; God is ready to forgive a repentant heart, those who thirst and hunger after the righteousness of God. – Proverbs 28:13 He that covers his sins shall not prosper: but he who confesses and forsakes them shall have mercy.

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? What does this teach us about Gods willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

We should take the number figurative,unlimited is what Jesus wants of us. Because God forgives us repeatedly, Jesus said we should do the same. :rolleyes:

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? What does this teach us about God’s willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

I think the lesson to be learned here is one of forgetting.As we move forward in life we need to forget the transgressions against us, I believe it is part and parcel of true forgiveness.

The more you forget the less the number of transgressions becomes and eventually each time we are wronged,can be seen the first, and forgiving becomes easy.

We tend to have an amazing capacity to remember the times we are wronged an far less for those where we are blessed.When we learn to turn this around we start to see each day as a new beginning and it brings God's purpose for our lives into prospective.

So I believe we need to stop counting the times that we are transgressed against and remember how Christ forgave ours.

Always remember our salvation is based on total forgiveness, that without barriers, so let's share in this with all those around us.

"Oh Lord let us learn to forgive and forget all the transgressions against us as we mature in your service, and thank you Lord for Your continued forgiveness for my weaknesses Amen"

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? What does this teach us about God’s willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

I believe it its figurative,we are to forgive others at the least as much as we have been forgiven. As long as we humbly repent of our sin and ask for forgiveness God will forgive us. That He is so merciful and understands my condition, not accepts it but understands it. Not to mention His great love for me and all people.

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? What does this teach us about God's willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

I love the statement "the Kingdom of God is a kingdom where mercy reigns".

I think they can be literal (in that it would be hard to reach 490 times in a lifetime) or figuratively. We are to always forgive even as Christ forgives us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1 Figuratively. "7" is a very significant number to us Christians. Therefore,

forgiveness of others is always endless, even though 7 may be considered maximum

we need to go beyond that.

If we sinners on our part need endless forgiveness from God, our Father how much

more do we need to forgive our brothers and sisters for the wrong they have done to

us.

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively? If figurative, what are they figurative of? They are to be taken figuratively and mean an infinite number of times

We should take these numbers figuratively. They represent continuance of forgiveness. Peter tried to put a number or a limit on how many times he was to forgive, but Jesus took it further to say to him....keep going....you need to keep forgiving!

I found it interesting that the meaning of the number seven meant "as in rest". I also believe it is a number related to "completion". Figuratively, when we forgive another, it is for our benefit as well as the person we choose to forgive. Sometimes, the relationship is not changed or the offense will be a repeated one and we have to live with that. Choosing to forgive will not have anything to do with changing the circumstances, but it will have to do with changing our hearts and demeanor and we need to forgive regularly. If we cling to choosing to not forgive, we grow into bitterness and turmoil or "unrest". When we choose TO forgive, we are at rest in our hearts and minds and souls because we are right with God. We have, within ourselves, completed our portion of what we need to do and we can let it go. The circumstances may repeat....there may be reconciliation or there may not be, but we are at rest.

What does this tell us about God's willingness to forgive us? Gods love is agape love. Perfect love. It doesn't have anything to do with our behavior. He loved us while we were still sinners. Christ died for sinners, came for sinners, interacted with sinners and forgave sinners. He has unselfish love and is always willing to forgive. We are repeat offenders! He still forgives by the blood of His Son, Jesus. To be like Him, To walk with Him, we may have to pay a price in forgiving others. And, it may not have anything to do with "their" changed behavior....but will have everything to do with our measure of love and willingness to keep loving and forgiving.

Q1. (Matthew 18:21-22) Jesus says we must forgive 77 times or 490 times. Should we take these numbers literally or figuratively?If figurative, what are they figurative of?

To take this literally, means I would be counting and keeping a long tally with the attendant resentment and bitterness of the sins against me, which is the antithesis of the mercy and grace our Lord Jesus purchased and extends to me each and every day. I believe it's a figure of great exaggeration to demonstrate the silliness of trying to keep track of others transgressions. "First remove the plank from your own eye before you try to remove the splinter from your brother's eye" comes to mind here, and is what I believe the 77 times are figurative of.

What does this teach us about God's willingness to forgive us repeatedly for the same sin?

This reminds me that His grace and mercies are new EVERY morning. I get a fresh start each day, with a clean slate, and if I blow it, even unknowingly, when I confess, He wipes the record clean and I start fresh again, absolved from guilt and shame, free to bask in His love and friendship.

As His child and disciple I'm to extend that same grace and forgiveness to those who do the same stupid stuff that I do as I bumble through life, healing from the past, and pressing on to know Him in His fullness.

I have to add that some of the more grievous sins, which have had lifelong consequences in my life, have taken time to truly forgive! He has been gracious to allow me to work through the pain and to heal from the abuse, and to understand that in forgiving the offenders I wasn't saying that what was done "was o.k.", nor that I didn't have to put myself in an unsafe place again if I forgave. Once I understood that, and dealt with the anger and hurt and shame, I was able to let the offenders "off the hook" and to forgive and to pray for their salvation. Then I was set free as I set them free!