JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Compel Them to Come In

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent? Who do the later invited guests represent? What does it mean to "compel them to come in" (KJV)? How might this sense of urgency apply today?

The original guests represent the leaders of Israel who are rightfully the first to be invited. They thought they were good enough by keeping God

In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent?

The original guests would have been the the Jewish people....the ones who were Christ's own.

Who do the later invited guests represent?

I think the later guests are the Gentiles....the original guests ( Jewish) backed out of the invitation so the invitation was given to a less respected group. I thank God for this.

What does it mean to

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24)

The original guests were probably the leaders of the Jewish people. This would include the Pharisees, and the Sadducees amongst others.

Initially, The common people of Israel, the poor and oppressed, and then the invitation is sent out to the Gentile people.

What does it mean to "compel them to come in" (KJV)?

I don

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent? Who do the later invited guests represent? What does it mean to compel them to come in (KJV)? How might this sense of urgency apply today?

The original guest represent the Pharisees and the Jewish religious Elite (religious establishment). The later guest include common people both Jewish and gentile. The poor, the sick, the weak, and underprivileged in society.

COMPELto have a powerful and irresistible effect, influence, etc. We must use whatever spiritual gifts we have to POWERFULLY influence others to come to the great banquet ( Come to Jesus Christ)!

We must use urgency because we do not know when the Second coming of Christ will be..there is no time.. it is URGENT to gather as many people together NOW!

Because the great new beginning can happen at any time and we must be prepared and prepare as many other followers as we can to enter the Kingdom of God. It is a great honor and glory to God when we spread the word and gather others to him.

I believe that the original guest are the self-righteous religious leaders of the day. In verse 1 of this chapter Jesus went into the house of one of the chief Pharisees to eat bread on the Sabbath day, that they watched him. As He continued in conversation because He was in the presence of religious leader, I believe it is inferred that the original guest are likewise.

Through lineage, some felt they were entitled, however do to blindness they could not see perpetuate spiritual adultery committed by some of their ancestors; their works of self-righteousness; their misapplying God's precepts usurping His commands with commandments of men and also not seeking His counsel concerning Christ.

The religious leaders knew about the supper but they had marred the way in. Therefore He sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, tell those who had been invited, that supper was ready, the day of salvation was at hand. Christ was the way, they made excuse after excuse by way of works of the flesh, placing Self first. The sought teach one their own worldly advantage more than their spiritual and eternal welfare, or the genuine interest of God. Verse

All He that hath an ear, that heard the Spirit saith

Urge them, press them earnestly, with diligence tell them the importance of accepting the second invitation. It was good that they knew about Him, but God had as in the beginning wanted His created beings which He said was good to have an intimate relationship with Him, He wanted them to know Him.

How might this sense of urgency apply today?

It applies in the same manner as it did then, however the time is growing nearer. Many today may resist or delay responding to God's invitation, and the excuses may sound reasonable, work, family, financial needs, denial, or refusal to believe. Nonetheless God's invitation is the most important decision a person can make this side of heaven.

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent? Who do the later invited guests represent? What does it mean to "compel them to come in" (KJV)? How might this sense of urgency apply today?

Luke 14:15-24 - 15 When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, "Blessed is the one who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God." 16 Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17 At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' 18 "But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.' 19 "Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.' 20 "Still another said, 'I just got married, so I can't come.' 21 "The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.' 22 "'Sir,' the servant said, 'what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.' 23 "Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full. 24 I tell you, not one of those who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.'" In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent? Who do the later invited guests represent? What does it mean to "compel them to come in" (KJV)? How might this sense of urgency apply today?

In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent? His own people, the Jewish establishment.

Who do the later invited guests represent? The common people who would also include the Gentiles.

What does it mean to "compel them to come in" (KJV)? Compel is defined not to only need to be force, but to have a powerful and irresistible message for people. The people needed to come in and learn the Good News and God knew that these people needed that message right at that moment.

How might this sense of urgency apply today? We have learned that we all must be ready. We need to knock and enter when invited.

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent?

The original invited guests were the Jews, the children of Israel, the original intended recipients of God's Grace and Salvation, who in Jesus' day rejected him almost totally. Thankfully some did receive Him and others responded to the Gospel preached by the apostles.

The later invited guests are the gentiles, the people outside of God's original people. It took rejection by the Jews to have the gentiles included in the redemption plan. Of course God knew that would happen and the Old Testament prophets foretold just such a scenario.

What does it mean to

This parable was a comparison on law and grace.

The first guests invited were the socially elite, who were the religious leaders of the day. They carefully "tried" to followed the law and expected others to look at them with respect because they did. But, they could not follow the law perfectly and even worse put burdens on the people to follow them, even in what they themselves did not, nor could not do. After being invited, they were so busy "doing" they neglected the invitation to enjoy a banquet in relationship with the host. These people represented the Jews, who had the law, but not salvation through relationship with Christ.

The later guests invited were the common people. People off the street who had no hope of ever attaining a seat at such a banquet. These represented those who would accept and come by grace. They were the poor, the blind, the lame. The social outcast and the Gentile.

"Compel" them to come is indicative of an urgency to have them come. It is a note on evangelism and a going out and urgently seeking to have one come for the sake of their lives! This is a heart felt urgency in us as we go to invite those we are sent to, to come to Jesus. We don't just suggest it, we know they HAVE to come or their very lives are at risk.

We are very urgent today because it is to save a life. We don't know when Jesus is coming. God desires that none be lost and that should be our desire also for every person we know who has not accepted the invitation to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb.

Q. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent?

Jesus gives parables to help us learn spiritual lessons for us to live and be warned by, the question of who the original guests are a very important lesson for me to learn, understand, and live by, for the invitation is open to all, many peoples, for Jesus came to redeem the world, not just a few; But the Kingdom is that of righteousness, it isnt for the weak and uncommitted people, but sad to say, many people are not ready for the Kingdom of righteousness, they are not ready, committed to sit down at the Banqueting table.

Jesus does not tell me who they are, but He does tell me, the original guests He invited had excepted the invitation were many peoples, but when it was time to attend the Banquet that was prepared for them, the many people had insulting excuses, preferring the cares of this world- the pleasures of this world over attending the banquet of salvation.

My answer to the question of who the original guests represented, are both Jew and Gentile guests, who preferred the things of this world over that of attending the banquet, having a form of godliness, but denying the power to live righteous, holy, lives.

The later invited guests represent Gods offer still holds to all, it doesnt matter if you are blind, maimed, or poor, it is open to all who will hear and receive this invitation as an honor, many times it takes those who are not as well fixed as the original guests were, to realize how needy they are.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, He has sent me to proclaim to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free.

What does it mean to "compel them to come in" and how might this sense of urgency apply today?

The highway reminds me of today and the wide road many prefer to travel, they are very much like the original guests, who excepted the invitation, but their commitment was weak, there is an urgent call going out to all those who have a hedge of sin around them, to all those who have chosen to go down the wide road, there is time to come and dine, the invitation is open yet today, the urgency is there, the Spirit call is to those to understand what an honor it is to receive this invitation and would anxiously be waiting for the servant to come and say, the Banquet is ready, please come and see, my yolk is not heavy, blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.

What can a state dinner or royal banquet tell us about God's kingdom? One of the most beautiful images of heaven in the scriptures is the royal banquet and wedding celebration given by the King. We, in fact, have been invited to the most important banquet of all! The last book in the bible ends with an invitation to the wedding feast of the Lamb and his Bride, the church: The Spirit and the Bride say, Come! (Rev. 22:17). Jesus' parable takes an unexpected twist when the invited guests make excuses. Why is this the case. A king or great lord normally sent out invitations well in advance to his subjects, so they would have plenty of time to prepare for coming to the banquet. How insulting for the invited guests to then refuse when the time for celebrating came! They made light of the King's request because they put their own interests above his.

Jesus probes the reasons why people make excuses to God's great invitation. The first excuse allows the claims of one's business to take precedence over God's claim. Do you allow your work to totally absorb you and to keep you from the thought of God? The second excuse allows other goods or possessions to come before God. Does television or other diversions crowd out time for God in prayer and worship? The third excuse puts home and family ahead of God. God never meant for our home and relationships to be used selfishly. We serve God best when we invite him into our work and homes and when we share our possessions with others.

PAX

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent? The rich and socially elite in Jewish society at the time, no doubt including many of the Pharisees and the scribes (although not all - remember Nicodemus).

Who do the later invited guests represent? The later guests represent the ordinary or common people in society, both Jews and Gentiles

What does it mean to

Q1. (Luke 14:15-24) In the Parable of the Great Banquet, who do the original guests represent?

I believe it represents the religious Jews to whom Jesus was referring......those one would expect to receive His invitation: Those who knew the Word, who were looking for Messiah, who were the "important" people in Israel, of high rank in Judaism.

Whosoever will come from every tribe, nation and kindred....this included me. (sinner, bruised, beaten up by life, broken hearted, and with no social or religious status whatsoever, but with a heart open to receive the invitation to the glorious banqueting table in His Kingdom) The GREAT EXCHANGE: my sin and brokenness in exchange for His righteousness, peace and joy and every spiritual blessing in Heaven both now and for Eternity! Thank you Jesus for inviting me to Your table!

To not take no for an answer...to persist in making clear that this is a life or death "invitation"....one to not be taken lightly or to be refused with flimsy excuses of inconvenience.

How might this sense of urgency apply today?

The invitation is of grave importance! Time is short...Jesus is standing at the door knocking and soon the door of opportunity will close and it will be too late to accept. Evangelism must be Sprit led, Spirit infused, to get the invitation "delivered" to those who have not yet come in.

Q1 In the Parable of the Great Banquet, the original guests comprise of the Pharisees'

Socially prominent guests all experts of the Law, the Jewish people of high status

and the learned ones.

The later invited guests are the poor, the down trodden, the crippled, the blind,

the lame and the Gentiles. These are the one who cannot repay.

To 'compel them to come in' means to really encourage and urge them to come as poor

people are not accustomed to such lavish banquet, especially to enter into a

rich man's place.

It is up to the individual response if one wants to be saved and enjoy this lavish

banquet. God's invitation is genuine and it is of great importance for we do not

know when the time and day we will be called home. We need to be ready for Him.