JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Trivial Excuses

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him? Why is the call so urgent? Why do our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus?

I think Jesus was testing them. I feel certain that if they had put him first, he would have worked with them to help them find a way to fulfill their real responsibilities. After all, he was the one who said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you."

Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him?

He wanted them to know the seriousness of following Him...it means to give up self and be obedient to the road ahead.

Why is the call so urgent?

The call is so urgent because if we do not take that step of faith....we keep making excuses and find reasons for later. Today , this moment is the time.

Why do our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus?

Our excuses are trivial to Christ Jesus....He gave up all to save us and went to the cross willingly.

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him? Why is the call so urgent? Why do our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus?

Well: Are you fit and ready to follow the Lord wherever he leads you? With the call the Lord gives the grace to respond and to follow to the end. Why does Jesus issue a challenge with the call? Jesus was utterly honest in telling people what it would cost to follow him. When a would- be disciple approached Jesus and said he was ready to follow, Jesus told him it would require sacrifice -- the sacrifice of certain creatively comforts. Jesus appealed to this man's heart and told him to detach himself from whatever might hold him back. Spiritual detachment is a necessary step for following the Lord 19:29). Is there anything holding you back from pursuing the Lord and his will for you life?

My Prayer:

"Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my whole will. All that I am and all that I possess you have given me. I surrender it all to you to be disposed of according to your will. Give me only your love and your grace

There are no valid excuses.

Nothing is more important than our Lord.

The call is urgent because we might be dead tomorrow and then it's too late to repent.

We see this as harsh in our understanding, however we must recall that God does not ask anyone to do anything that cannot. Jesus' declarations after the one man's response and the other two request was an address to the reasoning behind the response and request.

Verse 57-58 - Jesus mentions in verse 58 that He was about the Father's business, that He himself was he himself was an itinerant, a pilgrim. This man according to Matthew 8:19 was a teacher of the law, a scribe, according to custom, history normally a person of such would be accustomed to having substantial material possession. Jesus says what He say in verse 58 because the man in verse 57 perhaps had not counted the cost. It's implied that the decision was a surfaced decision based solely on emotions, enthusiastically. Having served in the military I have seen many likewise and heard the statement, "this is not what I signed up for." This man resembled those receiving the seed on shallow soil, quick converts quickly lost.

Verse 60 - dead bury the dead - This verse is a tough one when we look at it in our own understanding, it was then as it is now. Passages of Scriptures tells us to honor our parents; there are also passages that speak on the grieving process. Burial of loved ones is mentioned throughout the Bible, present where were obedient God believing individuals. However this passage of Scripture is not about not burying a loved one, Jesus is not giving a new command not to do so.

Jesus although He was walking on earth as the Son of man, He was yet with all knowledge, He knew what laid behind the man's request. His request was an excuse.

We can only speculate if the man was the firstborn where the father's affair rest upon his shoulders. We can only speculate if the man's father was alive, healthy, near death or dead. What Jesus is saying again it's going to take a sacrifice to walk in this walk. In this walk nothing or anyone comes first, the walk is priority. Then Jesus shares His compassion by letting the man know that he knows the spiritual state of his family. Physically dead people can't bury physically dead people. The Bible speaks of two types of "dead:" the physically dead (Ephesians 1:20) and the spiritually dead (Ephesians 1:20). The spiritually dead, whose interests are only in this life, can look after the everyday matters of life; the disciples of Jesus have to attend to the business of the Kingdom of God first. Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead. Christian discipleship calls for high commitment. The point being made is about priorities and not about not burying one's family member.

Verse 61-62 - bid them farewell - people of the Old Testament days as well as those at the time Christ walked upon the earth bid their loved one's farewell, two most notable was Elisha & Paul to the elders prior to going to Rome. Again Jesus was not being callus, nor was he telling the man to dissociate his family. If I'm not mistaken the brothers of thunder mother was close enough to Jesus to make a request know; Peter's mother in-law was close enough to be touch, there is not a doubt in my mind that her daughter, if alive, was somewhere near. Jesus saw beyond the man's request, and I believe that is why He says what He does in verse 62.

Looking back- Lot's wife was told likewise. In essence being a disciple, responding to the call must come before every responsibility and desire. The man as do all who accept the call just as a diligent and proficient person managing a plow must focus on something in front of them, off in the distance (such as a tree). If this person started to plow, and kept looking behind, they would never make straight rows and do a good job plowing. A faithful disciple should keep their eyes on Jesus in front of us, and never take our eyes off Him, on His will. This walk is a glory walk, but it is not one where by the plowmen gets the glory. Hand to the plow= engage to the task; looking back = the man's will; looking forward = walking in the will of God, if a disciple cannot look forward they are not fit (usable).

It is urgent because Christ's next coming is closer than it was when He made the declarations of that day.

Our excuses just as the men from these verses are trivial in comparison to the value of the call. They may have validity in our minds, however one may not have to use a microscope to see that that behind the excuse is our desires, our wants , not the will of the Father. Our motives may not be as the men mentioned here but their foundation still has Self affront.

Note: We are not told how these men responded to the call, I believe Jesus, the Holy Spirit inspired it to be written as such. We too have to make like choices: The first man was too ready and had not counted the cost (Acting with or marked by excessive haste and lack of due deliberation, impetuous ); the second wasn't ready because he did not sense the urgency of the call (To postpone or delay needlessly, procrastinator); and the third was vacillating, he was only almost ready, hot to go when he looked forward but cold to go when he looked back (Given to or exhibiting hesitation, indecisive). It is imperative that we follow the Spirits leading so that the Word will be rightly divided, so that we are following the Lord's will and not that of our own.

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61)

Jesus wanted them to know what it means to follow Him. They would have to forsake all the material comforts and conveniences they are used to. Even their family and friends if need be.

We cannot allow something else to be of more importance than following Jesus. The work of proclaiming the Kingdom of God is most important, it cannot wait, and we as believers should honour this commitment.

We need to keep focused on the great sacrifice our Lord Jesus made for us

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him?

I think it's all in the timing. As Pastor Ralph says, He was about to send out his first missionaries. I would surmise that there would only have been about 70 in total who were actually traveling with Jesus the whole time. Once they went to the towns around Judea, there wouldn't have been too many of Jesus' followers still traveling with Him. Remember that these disciples were camping out often and living an itinerant life right along with Jesus. They'd left families, friends, jobs and fields to follow the Savior. Jesus didn't want to be left with half-hearted newcomers while His fervent followers were off preaching.

Jesus could also see into their hearts and knew their true intentions. He knew they weren't serious about following Him. I agree 100% with Pastor Ralph's character analysis of the would-be followers of Jesus. This isn't a parable, it's an actual recorded happening.

I'll answer this by quoting Scripture. "Seek the Lord while He may be found" and "My Spirit will not always strive with man" are two reasons why we shouldn't delay following Christ. When a person finally decides he/she is ready to follow Jesus for real it may be too late by then. The offer may have been withdrawn.

Compared to what we'll receive in the Kingdom, what we think we're losing is far less. "Whoever leaves family and fields for Me will receive a hundred times more in the life to come" says Jesus.

The excuses were forms of rejection. Rejection of Christ can be for many reasons. It can be because I believe that I am good enough and don't need to clean up for His invitation. It can be because I don't believe that there is no better life than the one I am enjoying right now and turn my back on eternal life. It can be because that I have examined the cost and decide that the price is too great. Or maybe it is because I have mistaken God's patience for weakness and think I can wait till the last minute and enjoy the things of the world for a bit longer. All and all it is a rejection of what He taught us in the gospels.

For a long time I believed that I had to work every Sunday when there was work available and not go to church. Each year I would promise Marie that this is the year that I would no longer work seven days a week but each year led to another work filled week. Then about eight years ago I fulfilled my promise and to my surprise I finished all my work in six days. The builders I painted for began to accept that fact that I just wasn't going to work on Sundays any more and they changed their schedule a little bit.

Darrell

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made

excuses when called to follow him? Why is the call so urgent? Why

do our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus?

Jesus is so harsh because he does not want us to put anything before or above Him, He is supreme!

His call is so urgent because we must ALWAYS be prepared for the second coming of Christ, The Rapture, The End Times.

Christ is not concerned with excuses of this world. Nothing in this world can compare to the greatness we have in Christ!

Generally an excuse may say I really don't want to do that(disobedience). Wow! Lord forgive me for doing that. Jesus gave His life for me, Why can't I trust him to handle any situation that may be left undone by me following Him. You know no man knows the day or hour of His return,obedience without thought of results is the best thing to do, He is always faithful to His promises. Oh Lord I desire to be all you have called me to be, please forgive me for my unbelief.

Why was Jesus so harsh when people made excuses to follow Him?

Same reason we are convicted by the Holy Spirit today. We need it! Sometimes, I'm appalled at myself for all the excuses I can have for not being a true follower of His. I can have every justification in the world and yet, when I'm convicted I truly do see how compromised I can become. How my heart aches when I reflect on what He has done for us and how frivolous I can be in return. This very study has brought to mind an incident in my life that just recently showed my lack of devotion.

Why is this so urgent? Because we need to be prepared for His coming! We need to be reaching out to others for them to be prepared. Our devotion should be to our LORD and our KING. Our hearts should grieve at seeing all He's done and suffered for our sake and how faithful He is to us....and how little we can give to Him sometimes or to others so they can really know Him. To some it is a matter of certain death! To others it may mean to not grow in His`grace and love! We loose sight of purpose so easily. We loose sight of WHO it's about. Jesus.

Even our greatest "sacrifices" pale in comparison to what He has done for us. What a beautiful friend we have. A faithful husband to us. We should reflect on our lives and how submitted to follow Him we really are and then rest in the grace He so freely gives us as we are renewed in spirit to be more faithful.

Jesus was harsh because He need Total dedication, not halfhearted commitment. We can

I think that the reason that Jesus was so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him was that they had not put God first.

The call is so urgent because if we want this age to end and have Jesus come again, then we need to be doing all that we can to bring people to Jesus. Maybe we can rush the coming of Jesus.

Our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus because Jesus gave it his all. He even died on the cross for us while we were still sinners.

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him? The excuses they made required harsh treatment, withdrawal of His offer; it is by their excuses, that they were rejecting Him altogether; rejecting God’s “grace” is taking on God’s “judgment.”

The call is urgent because we don’t know what tomorrow holds for us, today is the day to exhort, to urge one another daily, while it is called today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

The excuses given in Luke are “trivial” what these excuses were saying, loud and clear to God and God's Son were that of "REJECTION" - one cannot believe with one's mind only, it must come from one's heart, the New Testament when received is written on the heart, the desire to follow, to be obedient to the call upon one's life - I do not live by the excuses these in Luke speak of, for I have not rejected the call of loyalty to my Savior, I rejoice in my Redeemer.

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him?

Jesus is Creator God...He made us, He loves us, He knows the future and what awaits those who receive Him and those who reject His Gift of eternal life. He was always righteously angry at self righteousness, arrogance, stubbornness and spiritual blindness...in those who professed to be spiritual awake.

They behaved as though this was "a day and a dinner". His call/invitation was about life and death: eternity in hell (by one's own choice) versus eternal life in Heaven with Him. (also by one's own choice) Some say "Why would God send good people to hell?" This parable is the answer: He doesn't! We choose where we spend eternity! And He is urgently calling to us to choose LIFE!

We offer excuses as though this was about a casual lunch date with no consequences. The consequence of accepting is eternal life, and of refusing is the second death with wrath and judgment in hell. With what great love He calls to His creation: "Choose life! I beg you....CHOOSE LIFE"

Luke 9:57-61 - 57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." 58 Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." 59 He said to another man, "Follow me." But he replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." 60 Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." 61 Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.""

Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him? Jesus wanted total commitment from all who follows and He does not want excuses. Jesus wants us to trust Him.

Why is the call so urgent? We must tell and demonstrate to the people around us about Jesus. Jesus will be returning and He will be inviting us to His banquet and we must be ready to accept and enter.

Why do our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus? He is our Lord and Saviour who died for our sins. What excuse can we have which would be more important than what He did for us and the world.

God demands our single-minded focus and commitment. We are not to waver to the right or to the left. Our focus should always be on the Lord Jesus Christ. When Matthew's focus was on Jesus, he was able to walk on water. As soon as he took his eyes off Jesus, Matthew began to sink. When we make excuses, it is an affront to God. Imagine being summoned to the King's palace and instead of making haste, we dragged our feet and made excuses about being busy and having other responsibilities. That will be a gross insult to the King. The call is urgent as we have been commissioned to bring the Word to the ends of the earth and then the end will come. The Second coming of Christ is dependent on when this commission can be fulfilled. Our excuses is trivial as God's intention is to make sure that the Great Banquet is completely filled before the doors are closed and the feast can begin. The Lord is patient ... not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

Q3 Jesus was so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him because

they gave lame excuses, their spiritual lives are not in order and they are not

fully and ready to commit themselves to do God's work and prefer to put other

responsibilities before Christ.

Every call from God is urgent because Jesus' calling is 'now' not later or when one

feels like it. God wants willing and committed people to carry His message on the

Kingdom to others.

Our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus because we lack faith. We have

placed other priorities before Jesus. We treat Jesus as second class and at

convenience. When we feel like it, when we are ready then we will follow Him even

though we profess we are followers of Christ but our hearts are somewhere else.

What a shame not only to Jesus but to ourselves also.

I think Jesus wanted us to realize that it is not His way to put ourselves before others. If we are to be His disciples, we need to be in the habit to put Jesus, and others, before ourselves. How frustrating we must be to Jesus. It seems it is our nature to think of our needs, then God, then others. We have to make a conscious effort to train ourselves to be like Jesus, and it is only with His help and grace that we could ever gain victory! Just like any skill, being a disciple of Jesus takes lots and lots of practice to reach from glory to glory. It is not something you want to put off; of all the things we are promised in God's Word, tomorrow isn't one of them.

Jesus was harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him, because he was trying to get through to them, the urgent importance of them following him now, not tomorrow, or not next year but right now as time is short.

The reason the call is so urgent is because we are getting closer to the end of time, we could die at any moment and must be ready, or we, as the signs seem to tell us could be so close to the end and his coming back to take us home with him, if we stall and make excuses then we will be left behind.

Our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus because they are trivial, God tells us that we must put Jesus before everything else, including our loved ones. This does not mean we are to forget or neglect them, but we are to always put God and Jesus first in the sense that we stand strong in our beliefs and we do not let anyone lead us astray and we must put Jesus first to have a better relationship with our loved ones.

Q3. (Luke 9:57-61) Why was Jesus so harsh with those who made excuses when called to follow him? Because He knew that the excuses weren't real. They were just that - excuses. The real reason was that each of these individuals didn't have either the faith or the desire to follow Him.

Why is the call so urgent? Because there is much work to be done and a finite amount of time to do it.

Why do our excuses seem so trivial when offered to Jesus? I think that the main point is that God has to come first in our lives. Of course He recognises that we have other concerns (family, job etc etc) but the point that Jesus is making here is that they are secondary to our commitment to God

Jesus was harsh to those who made excuses when called to follow Him, because they were putting family and other obligations before Him. God wants to be first in our life, He wants us to do His Will. He should have priority. There are no excuses that will be adequate enough not to follow God completely.

The call is urgent, because no one is promised tomorrow. We do not know the date and time Jesus will be coming back.

I Corinthians 6:2 - (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) (KJV)

2 Peter 3:9,10 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. (KJV)

Jesus wants all to follow Him, NOW, by faith, with no excuses. Our spiritual responsibility to God should be priority in order to follow Jesus faithfully.

Our excuses seem trivial when Jesus gave us so much, His love and His life, so that we can have eternal life, and live eternally in the Kingdom of God.

Jesus was harsh, I can imagine for several reasons:

1) Excuses were/are another way of rejecting Jesus' invitation

2) He used harsh examples to express the seriousness and urgency of the invitation

3) Timing was very significant, it was important to accept the invitation because it was or is possible you may not get a second chance.

The call is urgent, because again time and the invitation to come to the Master will not always be available.

Our excuses are nothing or meaningless in comparison to what Christ has done for us/the entire world.