JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Moses Responds to God's Call

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I believe that Moses had learned to be humble by living in the wilderness, that he wasn't in control all of the time.

2. God told him that he was not alone now, He, God, would be with him. By seeing the burning bush that was not burned up, I believe that God convinced that God had great power

3. By prayer, we can have assurance of God's presence with us. There is great power in personal prayer.

I believe that Moses response to God's call reflects low humility (ability to accomplish the mission assigned) and lack of faith in God being able to provide him the tools needed. God reassures him by demonstrating his power and abilities. God reassures us during times of impossible situations by providing reassurance through either delivering the answer to our prayers (guidance for the situation or providing help from others).

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

Moses shows all threeresponses to God not only one trait - he lacked in all three of these.

God reassured Moses by telling him that he would not be doing it along and that he (God) would be him all the time and that he would be his words.

God reassures us by the fact that we know he is always there to help us whenever we are in need, although sometimes we, like Moses, forget this and lack in the same self image, lack of faith and true humility that Moses did.

I agree with you Cyndilee.

I think Moses is trying to argue with God because he does not think he is qualified for the mission.

He is old (80).

He is not in good rapport with the Hebrews.

He is a wanted man in Egypt for murder.

He has been out of the country for 40 years.

Moses is thinking, surely God, you must have a man better qualified than me for this job.

But God looks at the heart... God wants a man (woman) who says "I can't, I don't know how, help me." That is true humilty: depending fully on God. Praise God for choosing the simple to confound the wise.

Moses' response to God's call is I think is a opinion on his part that "his time had past" to be anything other than a humble shepherd. From his formerly priviledged position as quasi-royalty in Egyptian society, he had lived the next forty years in humble circumstance. I can tell from some experience that living in humble circumstances can lead to a lower sense of self esteem. That's not necessarily a bad thing however because I think it helps us to develop a spirit of humility - this is the case for Moses I believe at the time God appointed him for higher service.

As far as Moses' faith is concerned, I don't see it being a strong influence one way or the other prior to his experience with God speaking to him from the burning bush. He grew up in Pharaoh's house and he knew he was a Hebrew by birth but did he had a strong understanding of God's covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? He had lived the past forty years with the Midianites; they were descendants of Abraham but does that mean they followed Yahweh? I don't know too much about the Midianites but I know that later on in the Bible they incur God's wrath for following Baal at some level...

The great news in this passage is that God reassures Moses with the promise that He will be with him; that He is not calling upon Moses to act alone to deliver His chosen. This is great news because here, and in many other parts of the Bible, we learn that God will be with us as well when we endeavor to walk with Him in our lives. This is the beginning of Moses becoming a leader.

Perhaps as we learn (and re-learn) that God is (always) with us, we become more empowered to be the leaders God wants us to be - whether that means something in Christian service or in secular (business) activities.

I think the answer is probably all of the above and then some.

As others have pointed out, Moses' last attempt to help the slaves was a disaster and ended up with him receiving a death sentence. He must have felt like he was useless - low self esteem. I guess he may have buried those feelings over the course of 40 years but his discussion with God would likely have brought it to the surface again.

Depending on how you define true humility I think there may have been some of that in there too. 40 years prior Moses had learned that he couldn't do what he wanted which is a humbling experience for anyone. He had then been taken into the household which, compared to his upbringing, must have seemed austere at best. Being dependent on others takes no small dose of true humility.

The odds are that Yahweh was a distant memory by the time Moses stumbled across the burning bush. His early adult life was spent as an Egyptian with a number of gods to worship; the second half of his life to date was spent with Midianites who, as far as I can learn, had a few idols of their own and his father-in-law was a priest. By the time he was 80 the theological teaching of his natural parents as a child may have been buried under a whole lot of others. So, lack of faith? Probably, he hadn't seen God step in for the slaves so far. Lack of understanding? Maybe a bit of that too.

Moses' response indicates he doesn't have alot of confidence in himself, has humility, and lack of faith that God could or would use him.

God reassures him telling him that he'll be with him the entire time.

We have to trust God & our faith in the fact that God IS Able!!!

I agree with Stan. He seems to be displaying a combination of the three. I read somewhere in the study that Moses was educated and was a strong speaker. Yet he claims a speech impediment, which God appears to accept while offering an alternative. As Pastor Wilson suggested, his reaction may be a sign of his brokenness. He may have consciously dropped the trappings of education and royalty while adopting the lower status as a shepherd. Thirdly, he clearly does not know God. "Who shall I tell them has sent me..." If he is going to have difficulty explaining God to the Hebrews, he really is saying, "I am unqualified". While faith is trusting in the unknown, do you not have to know God to have faith in Him? God reassured him by saying, "I will be with you". He went on to tell him that he would prove it by having the Hebrews worship at that very place later on. I do not know how much help that was to Moses at the time. God gave us his Word. He reassures us through accounts like this one in Exodus. Also he sends people and situations to us as inspiration. We just need to see and hear them.

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

After 40 years in the desert I think Moses lacks confidence for this mission, he has now true humility, and lacks faith because that is learned as we walk with the Lord.

God promises to be with him.

As we read His Word we learn He promises to be with us in all things, never to leave us or forsake us, give us wisdom, guide us. As we see His hand in our lives we grow in our faith the same as Moses.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Answer:

1.Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith?

Moses response to God

Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith?

Low self image - Moses asked "Who am I" = I don't have the credential or status to stand before the Pharaoh. His second question of statement, "and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt" = I can't lead the children, perhaps recalling the statement made by two prior to his fleeing Egypt, "Who made thee a prince and a judge over us? intendest thou to kill me, as thou killedst the Egyptian?"

Although Moses is known as being meek at this moment I don't believe true humility was the character revealed here. I believe he was reverential and maybe even fearful, although his father-in-law was a priest Moses himself did not know God for himself. God had to tell him to take off his shoes acknowledging that the place he stood was holy. This was not just as amazing thing, seeing a burning bush.

I don't think Moses response to God's call was a lack of faith, at this time I believe Moses did not have faith in God, because he did not know Him. Moses theology at this point was not as we know it, we know the rest of the story. At this point Moses didn't know God, therefore God reveals as much of Himself as needed to Moses, as much as he could comprehend.

How does God reassure him? God tells him, "Certainly I will be with thee"

How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations? Through His Word, through action, through people that He has called, that are chosen people, because of His CHARACTER,HIS FAITFULLNESS. Where God guides He will provide.

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses’ response to God’s call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

Moses' response reflects a great sense of all three of these traits.Low self image and humility, since he went from royality to living as a lowly shepard for 40 years, he may feel a sense of brokeness. He went from riches to rags. His lack of faith stems from the fact that he thinks God will not be with him on this journey and he will have to do it himself. He doesn't realize he will not being doing it alone, that God will be with him, and is with him, all the time.He needs assurance from God.

God reassures me through my Faith and through my personal relationship with Him. Ever knowing that no matter what the circumstance, He is there and He alone is the potter, and He has me right where He wants me to be. Maybe I don't always understand why, but I trust God.

I think after 40 years in the desert Moses was settled into his situation. His life was planned. It took an enormous leap of faith to step outside his comfort zone! I think we see this in our own lives, when God calls us to do something we must believe that he is with us every step of the way. Thanks be to God!