JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Blaming and Resisting God

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 7:6-7) Why did Moses blame God for his troubles?

Moses had obeyed God and asked Pharaoh to let the Israelites go. When Pharaoh retaliates by increasing the workload of the Israelite slaves they complain to Moses and blame him for it. Moses in turn blames God for making him do it in the first place. Human nature I suppose. Moses's old reluctance is rearing its head again.

Why are Moses and Aaron so stubborn, do you think? Was it fear? Was it unbelief? Or both, perhaps?

I reckon a bit of both, plus I don't think either of them understood just how God was going to work in this situation. God was going to demonstrate His total mastery over the world by causing the plagues and the deaths of Egypt's first born sons. In order to do that He had to harden Pharaoh's heart. If Pharaoh had just let them go without a struggle, it wouldn't have taken the Israelites very long to forget all about God.

I'm sure Moses and Aaron were hoping they could waltz out of there thinking: Hey that was easy!

Why does God have to command Moses and Aaron?

Q1. (Exodus 7:6-7) Why did Moses blame God for his troubles? Why are Moses and Aaron so stubborn, do you think? Was it fear? Was it unbelief? Or both, perhaps? Why does God have to command Moses and Aaron?

I do not believe they were stubborn, but stuck, overwhelmed, and fearful. It is somewhat sacrificial. God has to command them to shock them into action. It is no longer a choice of action but a choice of obedience or rebellion. Since they know and love God, they now must TRUST God. The rebellion is out of the question. It is here we see: "obedience is better than sacrifice." 1 Samuel 15:22 :D

I do not believe they were stubborn, but stuck, overwhelmed, and fearful. It is somewhat sacrificial. God has to command them to shock them into action. It is no longer a choice of action but a choice of obedience or rebellion. Since they know and love God, they now must TRUST God. The rebellion is out of the question. It is here we see: "obedience is better than sacrifice." 1 Samuel 15:22 :D

Q1. (Exodus 7:6-7) Why did Moses blame God for his troubles? Why are Moses and Aaron so stubborn, do you think? Was it fear? Was it unbelief? Or both, perhaps? Why does God have to command Moses and Aaron?

Moses blamed God for his troubles because in the face of having to withstand the backlash from the Hebrew foreman when the tasks were made more difficult (i.e., having to gather the straw to make bricks, while having to make the same number of bricks). Moses fell back into unbelief, cowardice, fear, and a lack of perseverance. Moses fell for the blame game. Moses cried to God, blaming Him for causing more evil to come upon the people. Moses continued by questioning why God sent him; and, blaming God for not giving help or deliverence. The saying of "when the going gets tough the tough get going" did not fit Moses' character at this time.

Moses and Aaron are stubborn at this point because they are still not totally trusting and believing in God and His promises. At this point Pharaoh's actions had more effect on Moses and Aaron than God;s promises. Moses and Aaron continue to be overwhelmed by fear, cowardice, a lack of confidence and trust in God; and, having no perseverence. Fear is a feeling of agitation and anxiousness caused by the expectation or awareness of danger. Fear is the lack of courage and is not of God. "God has not given us the spirit of fear...(2 Tim. 1:7). I believe Moses and Aaron felt overwhelmed with fear and not believing in God's promise of deliverence.

God had to command Moses and Aaron because in their being overwhelmed by fear, they have taken their eyes off the task, and from the promises of God. Consequently, God had to "quiet" them, remind them of His promises to them and their ancestors, and of His power. God had to remind them of His promises to them concerning Pharaoh. God had to command them to get their attention and have them refocus on Him, His promises, and their task.

God is the One who told Moses to go to Pharoah so it seems natural that Moses would go back to God when it didn't work out. I'm not sure that he was 'entirely' blaming God as well as entreating Him "what do I do now?" Sometimes when God asks us to do something and we run afoul of the "law" in doing God's bidding God can seem stangely far away while we are face to face by our selves (so it seems) with the task or foe at hand. The Lord is of course with us but He isn't in our face like Pharoah was with Moses. The physical can seem so much more initmidating at the time.

I think Moses because he was sent by God expected things to work out differently. Now he sees that this might be a more difficult task or command than he originally expected and he balks. Plus Pharoah's response was so unjust and Moses was being blamed by the people who were suffering under this cruel tyrant.

If you are in the position where God tells you to do something you save yourself a lot of trouble and grief if you just obey but Moses was human like us and I think he needed a no nonsense "do this" before his backbone would stiffen up and he would face Pharoah again. He was also assured by God of eventual success in this.

Fear and unbelief have held me back sometimes and I have always anguished afterward. Mostly just sorrow for not listening to the God I love. He understands how we are made and many times a second chance comes but not always. Sometimes we have only a fleeting moment and then it is forever gone.

There is the bitter when we don't listen and the sweet when we do. Regardless of success or not God wants faithfulness from us. He got it from Moses even though it took a little on the job training.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (Exodus 7:6-7) Why did Moses blame God for his troubles? Why are Moses and Aaron so stubborn, do you think? Was it fear? Was it unbelief? Or both, perhaps?

Moses and Aaaron were afraid for their lives. They faced a "Queen Esther Moment". Pharoah could whack them dead, instantly, anytime they appeared before him and said something he did not like. So it took courage to do God's will in the face of possible death. They weren't stubborn, they knew the danger of their obedience.

Jim Elliot continued to fly into the area of Ecuador where the Waodani Indians lived...because he felt God had called him to bring the gospel to these people, even though they might kill him. That's courage. They did eventually kill him and his co-workers. Later his wife, Elizabeth, returned to Ecuador...to evangelize the people that had killed her husband, almost certainly risking her own life. That's couragageous faith.

In China, I understand, that commitment to following Jesus even in the face of death is a pre-requisite for baptism.

As Christians, and certainly as leaders, we need to be willing to "take up the cross", which means the call of God even if it is the road that leads to death. Just like Jesus did. I think Aaron and Moses had to swallow a few times before they could honestly make that commitment. That's the hiccup we see in their reluctance to appear again before Pharoah.

Every one of Jesus' disciples had to make that same commitment. They had to commit to the road ahead even if it lead to some horrific death for the sake of spreading the gospel. That's commitment. That's courage.

But how does faith fit into the equation?

When faced with this dangerous situation... to appear before someone who could kill you,

to take the Gospel to a place no one has gone before,

to take the gospel to an Arab nation where sharing the gospel of Jesus is punishable by death or imprisonment,

to go to a place where there is sickness and disease,

the apostle of Jesus needs to say,

a) "God, this is dangerous, but because you are God and in control I will not fear and know you will protect me" ....or...

b ) "Should I die in the attempt to do your will it is your will that I die in this attempt and I accept that."

That's faith! Praise God for the many who have this faith and are spreading the gospel in dangerous places. Praise God for Aaron and Moses who also had this faith to ultimately appear before Pharoah and obey God's will by aksing for the release of the Hebrew captives.

They expect God to work swiftly in taking care of Pharaoh and freeing the people but God's plans are higher than man's so they became fearful and discouraged. They were stubborn because they did not understand the plans of God and wanted things they own way. God commanded them because they were reluctant to do the thing that God wanted them to do. They were caught between Pharaoh and the people they may have feared for they life but they had already been told by God to not fear so lack of faith may have been a part.

Amen Ivory Eagle, Amen. I could not have expressed my understanding of this question with any better explanation than your statement. God Bless.

1.Why did Moses blame God for his troubles? Why not. Moses was the middle-man in this situation. He had to follow the instructions of God, but the people had more trouble brought on them,so they blamed Moses.Things where getting worse for his people, not better and that frustrated Moses, I think. 2. Moses and Aaron are in their eighties by this time. Moses had been gone from that life with the Pharaoh. This is a new experience for them.Faith had a lot to do with it.That is a learning experience, to trust God with all your heart, mind ,soul, and strenght. 3. God has to command Moses and Aaron, because on their own they won't go.

Moses blame God because Pharoah don't listen to them, They are stubborn for their unbelief and fear.

God does command Moses and Aaron His power.

gener

:rolleyes:

Amen Ivory Eagle, Amen. I could not have expressed my understanding of this question with any better explanation than your statement. God Bless.

:) Thanks, we are all of one mind.

Stubborn is stronger than I would choose. God says in Isaiah 55:8-11, that His ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts. He is so powerful that it is inconceivable to the finite mind what the INFINITE FATHER can and will do for those who love him.“ Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him. 1 Corinthians 2:9 God is fighting for the people who love Him and only He knows the weapons He will release. Moses and Aaron are faced with the fear of the unknown and the love of the known God. While there is much the do NOT KNOW; what they do know is that He, alone is God. When He commands, they must trust and obey without regard for consequences. It is exactly what they did as they recognized that "to obey is better than sacrifice."

God told him to do something that instead of appearing to help the people he was trying to rescue was making the situation worse for the moment and Moses appeared to be a hoax causing them more trouble. They were stubborn because they wanted immediate results. The situation was tough and they could not see the end. I think it was mostly unbelief. They could not see any headway being made. I am in the same situation right now. I want to have faith and believe all will be taken care of by God, but each day appears to get worse and worse!

God had to command Moses and Aaron because they were arguing with him and trying to change his mind to act in the way they thought it should be handled. So, God had to give a direct command.

Moses blamed god because he did what God told him to do, and nothing was changing-in fact, everything got worse!

They are stubborn, because they are discouraged. After all, they were expecting immediate results, and instead of good results, things got worse. Not only that-the Israelites were blaming Moses for everything bad. So, they were low on faith, and they were afraid, too. They were afraid that the people would not be delivered after all, and Moses would get the blame.

God needed to remind them that He was in charge. Don't be in such a hurry! Trust me, and do what I say, and things will work out! Come on-don't be such a child! Did I not say it, and I will make it happen? Do what I say, and you will see. God encouraged them, and reminded them to be obedient, and they would be successful!

Moses is essentially holding God responsible for sending he and Aaron to confront the Pharoah, an action that had resulted in the mistreatment of the Israelites (who now must gather their own materials for their brick making and if their quota fell, their formen would be disciplined). Although it was the Pharoah who is responsible for the harsh treatment of Moses' people find it easier to blame his leader.

The stubborness of Moses and Aaron was motivated by both fear and unbelief. Their first attempt to secure a three-day feast for their people resulted in sadness and hardship. It is conceivable that their feelings were that should they make any other attempts at securing some freedom for the Israeli people they would instead bring forth more pain and sorrow, hence, they demonstrated their fear for, and their disbelief that should they trust God's command they would fall upon the proverbial sword.

By allowing fear and disbelief to seep into their souls Moses and Aaron were essentially paralyzed with fear, which froze them in their tracks. This not only retarded their ability to move forward but it kept them from growing in the Lord. God, however, would only tolerate this disobedience for so long before He, as their Leader, would "encourage" them to comply to His commands. We should never have a disbelief or a distrust in our Lord for His commands, even when they seem not to fit our "wants." For as Moses was soon to find out the Lord God knew what He was doing.

Moses blamed God because of the negative response of Pharaoh to the instructions of God. Many times when the response is not what we expected we tend to assign blame to the one that originates the command. Moses failed to remember what God told him - that He would harden Pharaoh's heart - it was all a part of God's plan. . .

The stubbornness of Moses and Aaron are because of unbelief. Many times we finds ourselves in a similar light - when things don't manifest just as we perceived them to - we allow doubt to creep in. . . We are told that the "just must live by faith" - that "we walk by faith and not by sight" - that without faith it is impossible to please God". . . Faith sees the expected results no matter what problems or difficulty may arise. . . Pharaoh's refusal to comply with God's commands may have caused some doubt to arise in Moses and Aaron. . .

God has to command Moses and Aaron because of their doubt. They conceived that if the people they were sent to rescue failed to see God's purpose and follow through - them Pharaoh, who is not a child of God certainly had no purpose in hearing and complying with what they said that God said. . .

:)

Why did Moses blame God for his troubles?

When Moses did not see the result he assumed as should be, he blamed the Lord because he was the recipient of the retort by the Pharaoh through the blaming response from the people. Moses was receiving the backlash from the people who he had believed would not receive him upon the initial call when God told him to go. At this instance he has cause more the reason for the people to dislike him, so he blames God.

Why are Moses and Aaron so stubborn, do you think? Was it fear? Was it unbelief? Or both, perhaps? Rebellion and disobedience is a form of stubbornness. Fear its roots stem most often from an event, our ignorance and poor understanding of certain matters just can disrupt our psychological balance greatly affecting us. Moses and Aaron experienced rejection and what they deemed as ineffective counsel. Because they did not see the desired results, they did not move as God commanded. This could be perceived as unbelief, yet I believe it to be more so leaning towards being afraid, they did not want to continue on what they saw as in effective. Pharaoh's actions because they could see it had a greater more effect on Moses and Aaron than God's promises. They were obedient to the initial, the forefront of God's command to go, but that redeeming statement and that Pharaoh.

The bottom line is that that were not being obedient because they were looking at themselves and not looking at what God was doing. They because of the circumstance could see only what was in front of them and not what was to come. because of initial hesitance they only heard what was said and not all that was said. Neither wanted to continue walking when the results were not (immediately) favorable.

God had to command them because they could not see, they were not being obedient, because they were fearful. They had taken their eyes off the given task, and from the assurances of God. God regained their attention, upon doing so they decided to obey

Q1. (Exodus 7:6-7) Why did Moses blame God for his troubles?

I can so relate to Moses! I did this once too, and it was because like Moses, God had given me a wonderful promise, but which required obedience. When I obeyed, instead of a glorious fulfillment, circumstances got very ugly, and the opposite happened. I began to get criticism, anger and ridicule directed at me....and like Moses, I said, "Lord, why are You doing this to me???? I obeyed you, sacrificially even, and look how things turned out!" It was because I thought I knew how things were supposed to go, and had no idea there was a long wilderness to cross in preparation to receiving the promise!

Moses was hit with opposition and hadn't expected it. God had shown him His power and told him what the outcome would be...and I suspect like me, Moses thought God would swoop in and do a quick and mighty work without obstacles.

Why are Moses and Aaron so stubborn, do you think? Was it fear? Was it unbelief? Or both, perhaps?

I think it was both...Moses fell back on his original fear since his own people rejected him a second time...and this was with him speaking God's words of deliverance! "Behold, I am of deficient and impeded speech; how then shall Pharaoh listen to me?"

They were still thinking it was up to them to convince Pharaoh, and they knew they had no authority to confront such a powerful leader! God had to convince them first that they were going in His authority and power, before they would move forward and function in His authority alone.

The unexpected opposition stopped them in their tracks. They had momentum going, and like a freight train stopped cold, it's difficult to get going again! They needed to be compelled and commanded into action and forward motion again to overcome the shock and dismay which had stopped them cold!

Answer:

1.Why did Moses blame God for his troubles?

Because Moses expects instant deliverance,and result from God.

Exodus 5:22-And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Lord, wherefore hast thou so evil entreated this people? why is it that thou hast sent me?

23 For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in thy name,, he hath done evil to this people; neither hast thou delivered thy people at all.

Moses,followed God instruction to the dot.What ever God instruct Him,He do,and expect good result.In fact Moses was so by the book,and might be afraid to take ownership,of the instruction he gave to Pharaoh,by using..AS THE LORD SAYS..

Exodus 5:1-