JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Obedience and Deliverance

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Exodus 12:50) Why was obedience so important to the people's deliverance? Why is obedience so important to our deliverance from "sin, the flesh, and the devil"? Is there any discipleship without obedience? Does a person who says he believes in Jesus but don't obey him have real faith?

Obedience was important to the peoples' deliverence because through their specific obedience they received God's protection for each Hebrew family. The Hebrew's obeying meant they were dressed and ready to eat and depart. Obeying was important to God's timing of the Passover of the Death Angel; and, the exodus.

Obedience to the word of God and His commandments, to deny the flesh and, "put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness" (Eph. 4:24) so that we live Christ like lives before men; and, obtain deliverence from sin, the flesh and the power of satan. This can only be accomplished through obedience to the word and commandments of God.

Discipleship is defined as one in training, receiving preparation and development; a follower of a particular teacher or doctrine. There can be no discipleship without obedience to the teacher and/or doctrine being taught and followed.

"Even so faith, if it hath not works is dead being alone". (Jas. 2:17). True saving faith expresses itself in obedience to God. Works is our testimony to God which is our obeying scripture through our personal daily living and actions, in a desire to please Christ. There can be no belief in Jesus without obeying Him; nor can there be faith without obeying Him.

You raise some deep, deep questions for us here Pastor Ralph!

First, an answer to the relatively easy question: Obedience in the deliverance from Egypt was important in that the pass over itself was conditioned upon the people putting the blood on the door jambs and door posts to prevent the first born of their households from being stricken down by the destroyer. Failure to be obedient would have caused their households to suffer the same fate as the Egyptians that night.

Why is obedience so important to our deliverance from "sin, the flesh, and the devil"? As believers, we're first delivered from the consequence of our sin when we follow the Holy Spirit's tug on our heart and trust Jesus as our Savior. From that point forward in our lives, we are forever changed. The extent of that change and the depth of our relationship with God however are dependent upon our obedience to His leading in our lives.

In the almost 38 years that I have been a Christian, I can report lamentably that when I have failed to be obedient there have been consequences - I missed the blessing God intended for me in this situation or that. I have no heinous transgressions to confess here from the world's standpoint but rather those small, generally unseen kinds of failings that the Holy Spirit uses to show us we've not yet reached the level of fellowship with Him that He wants for us. When we're obedient, we can see God work in miraculous ways to deliver us.

Is there any discipleship without obedience? On some level I suppose their is discipleship without obedience because God is very patient with us. That said however, we'll never grow in grace to anywhere near the extent that He wants for us if we're not obedient. My view of the doctrine of sanctification is that each day we walk in obedience (listening to God through His word, through fellow believers and through the circumstances of life), we become just a little bit more sanctified - more "set apart" for the life He wants for us. For newer believers, it's important to understand that discipleship is altogether different from salvation; what God did for us that we could never do for ourselves - God did for us. How much we enjoy His fellowship from that point forward however is a function of our obedience to Him.

Does a person who says he believes in Jesus but doesn

There were certain things that had to be done to obtain freedom. If they hadn't followed what God said to do through Moses, they would have died.

Our obedience leads to righteous living & it is easier to fight temptation with Jesus leading us.

No discipleship without obedience, unless your discipler is off target.....

No, he doesn't. If you believe, you obey.

Why was obedience so important to the people's deliverance?

Obedience was the key to deliverance because obedience is linked to faith and without faith it is impossible to please God. By obeying God they put their confidence in Him for the welfare of their existence.

Why is obedience so important to our delivery from "sin, the flesh and the devil?

By being obedient to God's commands we place our lives into His hands. He is our creator who wants only what is best for us. His aspiration is that none should perish but be delivered foe the clutches of the Devil.In order for this to take place we must be obedient. Trust and obey for there is no other way.

Is there any discipleship without obedience?

Discipleship is the adherence of the one you desire to follow and to learn about. So unless your desire is something other than having a will to obey then there cannot be any discipleship.

Does a person who says he believes in Jesus but don't obey Him have real faith?

No because where your heart is there will be your treasures. We simply can't straddle the fence so to say. We can't say one thing and then do something that which is contrary to what we admit.

Q2. (Exodus 12:50)

Why was obedience so important to the people's deliverance?

We read in Deut 28 that obedience would bring blessings and that disobedience would bring curses to the Israel nation. Among the blessings promised are material prosperity, fruitfulness, good crops, and victory in battle. The curses included drought, defeat in battle, and crop failure among others. These where the promises God made to the people of Israel if they obeyed Him; but today our blessings are spiritual blessings in heavenly places (Eph 1:3). We note that God

Obedience is vital in every venue. In the case of the people in the Exodus they needed to respect Moses and Aaron as they were receiving their commandments from the Lord whose plan must be followed explicitly if they were to safely leave Egypt and the abuse behind.

As children of GOD we must learn and obey His teachings. God's commandments are meant to give us a comfortable life sans any vices that will affect our well-being and our faith in the Lord. However, we must bear in mind that the word Discipleship entails obedience as well. Obedience in hearing, learning and testifying are all part of the disciple Which is only achieved through faith and obedience

Faith is an interesting concept and very important when believing in our Lord. Its the confidence to believe in something which one cannot physically see and hear and yet trust that what God is asking you to do is in your best interest. Hence, it is inappropriate, sinful and impossible to say that one believes in Jesus and yet display disobedience.

Q2. (Exodus 12:50) Why was obedience so important to the people's deliverance? Why is obedience so important to our deliverance from "sin, the flesh, and the devil"? Is there any discipleship without obedience? Does a person who says he believes in Jesus but don't obey him have real faith?

How important it is, then, to let your light so shine before your fellow citizens and before the world, "that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven" (Mt 5:16) As all creatures were made by Him, so all owe Him obedience and reverence; but, to be acceptable to this infinite Spirit, a person who says he believes in Jesus but don't obey him have real faith? No he has not!

Pax.

Q2. (Exodus 12:50) Why was obedience so important to the people's deliverance?

I watched a documentary on sheep over the weekend and the answer to this question was crystal clear! We are dumb sheep who must have a Shepherd!The people had been enslaved for hundreds of years and were "captives" in their minds. They had never left Goshen, and had no idea where they were going nor how to take care of themselves without a slave master providing for them or directing them. God entrusted Moses and Aaron with the leadership of this "lost" sea of humanity, and they would certainly perish without being obedient to their leaders God given wisdom and guidance.

Why is obedience so important to our deliverance from "sin, the flesh, and the devil"?

God is the One with power over "sin, the flesh and the devil". My flesh cannot (doesn't even WANT to) deliver me from myself, let alone sin and the devil. In order to be set free, I must obey His leading, His will, and surrender to His power. I'm a sheep who needs to follow closely on my Shepherd's heels!

Is there any discipleship without obedience?

I don't believe so. We are saved by obeying and yielding to the Holy Spirit Who has been wooing and drawing us to Jesus. We then must follow/obey Him as our Master. He is now in charge, and He alone knows where He wants to take me on this journey toward eternal life with Him. Rebellion will make the trip much more difficult and may prevent me from fulfilling my destiny completely!

Does a person who says he believes in Jesus but don't obey him have real faith?

There are those who believe "IN" Him, but don't BELIEVE Him, who tag along when they feel like it, or when He's doing what they expect and want. Only He knows whether a person is truly saved. So I would say that kind of faith is minimal and not being allowed to grow, if there at all. True discipleship involves a life surrendered to His leading and authority...and that takes real faith!

Obedience was so important to the people's deliverance because by obeying their leaders, they obeyed the Lord who was bringing their deliverance. Thus,they got blessed by such obedience and they were delivered.

Obedience is so important to our deliverance from "sin, the flesh, and the devil" because by obeying we are blessed. It then follows that, obedience is the key to receiving God's blessing.

I think there cant be any discipleship without obedience.

A person who says he believes in Jesus but don't obey him has no real faith. It means the belief of such person is in words but not in action. But we should remember: Faith without action is dead.