JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Golden Calf

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6) Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images? Why do you think Aaron facilitated their sin? How do you think the golden calf made God feel? What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day?

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6) Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images?

So much had happened to them in such a relatively short time that I think they were overwhelmed by it all. They were scared to death of God, the Bible tells us, and begged Moses to intercede for them so they wouldn't have to hear God's terrifying voice. Also, they were used to the graven images and animal gods of Egypt and with Moses gone for forty days, which is almost six weeks, they might even have thought him to be dead by God's hand. I think they longed for a feeling of familiarity that an idol gave them.

Why do you think Aaron facilitated their sin?

There were over a million people in the desert and Aaron was just one man. He was afraid to stand up to them the way Moses would have and just rolled with the flow. The Bible doesn't say this, but I reckon Aaron's call by God was an afterthought, since Moses didn't initially want to be Israel's leader. God provided Aaron, Moses' older brother, to cajole Moses into taking on the job. I don't think Aaron had Moses' faith in as great a measure.

How do you think the golden calf made God feel?

After reading the passage I'd say God was absolutely livid! He was angry enough with Israel to have wiped them out and start again with Moses as the new patriarch.

What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day?

I know we're not to disparage denominations here, so I won't mention any names, but the obvious one is Mary. People bow down to her image and ask her to pray on their behalf to God. This is done despite there being no Biblical instruction to do so.

Then there are the so-called Saints to whom people pray for particular purposes. There are patron saints for just about everything. We should pray to God. Here in Australia they're trying their darnedest to have a Godly woman from years ago canonized so they can pray to her. Why? Pray to God! Every time someone prays to a dead person instead of praying to God they're drifting further away from worshiping the True God.

People also pray to angels. Angels are only our fellow servants in God's service. Remember the time in Revelation when John wanted to worship the angel who'd shown him the future. The angel told him: Don't do it! Worship God.

I think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images because for the long time while in Egypt, 400 years, were used to worshiping gods, which appeared in the shapes of animals.

I think Aaron facilitated their sin because he wanted to be seen a "good" leader of the people by giving them what they want without realising that, although majority rules, but not always what the majority wants is correct. Thus, by agreeing to make god in the shape of a golden calf, Aaron led the Israelites into sin.

I think the golden calf made God feel very bad, dissapointed, betrayed and angry.

The idols Christian churches do allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day include the money, fancy cars, mansions,etc. Considerable number of people who own such things normally forgot about the true God and think their riches are their gods.

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6) Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images? They had taken on the customs of the oppressor. While God had delivered them; they still did not know God the way they should have. They sank to comfort when confusion pulled their card.

Why do you think Aaron facilitated their sin? Awe of being in charge. Ignorance as to how to respond to having power. Perhaps he was a bit flattered and confused at the same time.

How do you think the golden calf made God feel? Angry, Angry, Angry!!

What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day? Power, Politicians, and the adoration of society.

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6) Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images? Why do you think Aaron facilitated their sin? How do you think the golden calf made God feel? What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day?

A. These people had been in slavery in Egypt for 400 years. The practice in Egypt was worshipping animals. The Isrealites lost their faith in God by that time. Or maybe a tiny remnent was all that was left of that faith.

B. Aaron also had Egypt to thank for his loss of memory of the God of his fathers. He was practicing what we call 'syncretism, that means serving our God and their gods all at the same time.

C. The golden calf made God really angry,especially since they had heard Moses telling them about the ten commandments. Thou shalt not bow down and worship idols.

D. Today any given church might have statues,new cars in the parking lot, charming wardrobes, stunning hair colors and styles. Sports also effect a persons time to worship properly and faithfully.

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6) Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images?

They'd SEEN and experienced the glory cloud shielding them from the Egyptian army before crossing the Red Sea. Moses had been a very visible leader as well, and they were afraid since he'd been gone a long time. Now they wanted something they could SEE to lead them. The very first temptation was the same...Eve SAW that the fruit was good, and disobeyed God to have it. Satan has not changed! He just "repackages" what works in each age. Faith is believing what God has promised, to the exclusion of what we SEE in our circumstances. Satan's job is to stab us with fear, then get us so focused on the adverse circumstances that we buy his lies and doubt God's Word! Too often we trust what we SEE and are deceived and fall into sin.

I thought of several possible reasons....one being that he may have had a resentment about being second in command and wanted to be in charge...this was his "15 minutes of fame" time to shine as number one. Another reason might be that he was afraid they'd riot and making them an idol might keep them from tearing him and the camp apart. His excuse (he blamed the people....and said "they gave me their gold and I threw it into the fire and out came this golden calf!") and the fact that he didn't hesitate to make the idol, nor did he encourage them to wait upon God since His promise was to take them into the promised land, nor did he reassure them that Moses would indeed come back makes me think it was the former.

He was angry and wanted to destroy the people and start over with Moses as the beginning of a great nation. Moses reminded God of the covenant He'd made with Abraham and "Your servants", and God relented. (God SEES the future and knew they were going to rebel, so this may have been a test for Moses leadership motives)

What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day?

Some have allowed their huge buildings and mega congregations to turn their heads. Traditions....to the exclusion of the Holy Spirit's influence and leadership. (pleasing people rather than God) Angels have become increasingly the focus in some churches ("angel dust" being sprinkled on members, "jewels" falling from the sky which "angels" have thrown down to be found, feathers from angels floating down during the service. Since these detract from Jesus it's clear to me that they are demonic in nature). Status in the community....and then there are all of the many idols that individuals in the church pursue, which is endless, from their children, to their activities, to their possessions, etc. Anything which is more important than God qualifies as an idol.

This act has always been a mystery to me how, quickly the Israelites turned back to idolarty. I would have to say after being under the Egyptian lifestyle for 400 years, they had no real direction on the new ways under the leadership of God. They were very impatient people, just as we see today in our churches, when people start yelling at a microwave because it is not fast enough, the world is in serious trouble, just as the Bible says in the last days people would be running to and fro trying to keep up with what!!! Aaron didn't have the ability to handle the situation so he compromised and almost caused God, to wipe the whole nation off the face of the earth and start over. What a mighty God we serve who can forgive the worse of sins and backsliding. Thank God for Grace. Most people today don't even realize that they are serving and idol, anything that takes us away from God is our Idol!!! Where your time is spent is what you are serving, I am so thankful that I realized just what an idol can be. I can see why God was so angry, gold and worship of a dead golden calf was more important than a living God who had brought them from bondage, I would say God was very upset and sad that He was forgotten about in such a short time span.

Maranatha

Bondservantmccue

The people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images because they still carried their old ways within and wanted to be like everyone else. They failed to see the uniqueness of their position as God's treasured people.

i believe Aaron facilitated their sin because he wanted to be the leader that every body loves.

That Israel would choose to worship a golden calf is a let down. I am sure God must have felt that given the choice man will invariably disappoint.

Today, Christian churches allow the idol of Postmodernism to crept in and sway them from the pure simplistic worship of God to be embellished with appeasement of the senses, pure flesh no spirit.

Their faith in God was shallow. They were impatient and could not wait for Moses to return. Aaron himself was swayed by the masses as he was also not sure of Moses' return. The golden calf was an abomination to God. Today, there are many idols that are leading Christians astray - charismatic pastors, money/materialism, jobs, family and hobbies, to name a few.

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6)

Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images?

It is hard to understand that barely 6 weeks after the Blood of the Covenant was sprinkled on them, that they would reject their allegiance to God. I think this proves that their loyalty to Him was never genuine. Perhaps they were being obedient only to Moses, and as soon as he was gone they rebelled. The fact that they could lapse into idolatry so soon is a warning to us to never underestimate the influence of sin. This must have been a national rebellion for we do not read about any voices of protest.

Maybe he was trying to discourage the rebellion of the people

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6)

Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images?

They were not patient they wanted everything to happen now

He wanted to be a leader so bad that it took over his God knowing judgment

Dissapointed

None that I know of

The people of Israel has been too used to worship the Idols in Egyp for over 400 years and they still not really know the Lord that brought them out of Egyp.

Aaron was a weak leader and he was afraid of the huge number of Israelites that may overthrown him during absent of Moses.

It made God very disappointed and angry.

Nowadays the wealth and greed that that led people away from worship God.

I think they were fearful that Moses would not be back & they needed something they could see & touch.

He knew what they wanted...and didn't want to cut across the grain like his brother would have in dealing with the people. He wanted to be accepted by them.

The golden calf made God angry!! He would have destroyed them if Moses hadn't stepped in....

Idols in churches can be almost anything--carpeting, singers, a certain pastor, special programs, and a heart that holds tightly to these things instead of Jesus.

The Istaelites wanted a king or leader, and they were afraid that Moses wouldn't come back, so they made a substitute.

I think maybe Aaron was a little scared not to comply with the wishes of the people.

I think God was furious!

Pictures of Jesus, crosses, certain regulations. Beliefs that don't line up with what the Bible says.

Why were the people of Israel so quick to make idols after hearing the monotheism of the ten commandments that forbade worshiping graven images?

The answer is found in verse 1 of Chapter 32. When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, come and make us gods who will go before us. As for that fellow Moses, we don't know what happened to him!

The people know they need a "god" and a leader, that's inherent, but now, the leader (and his God)who led them out of Egypt seems gone, out of sight, and doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon. So, they are quick to turn to anything that will fill that core need. They ask Aaron who is second in command to "give then a god." No matter it's not the REAL God. They just want a god to go before them. Someone or something to fill that need.

Why did Aaron facilitate their sin? For one, he had let the people get out of control (vs. 25) and he was weak in character as shown in vs. 22-24. He did not own up to his sin in leading the people wrongly, he blamed the people for his own sin. I see it as "the natives got restless" and he appeased them any way he could. He really didn't stand on any faith himself or he would have instructed waiting on God (and Moses return)and would have trusted in God for controlling the people. He just didn't want any trouble and took the easy way out.

How did the golden calf make God feel? Fierce anger. So much so, He wanted to be left alone and have his anger burn against them and He wanted to destroy them.

What are idols today? I think the number one idol is self. Just as the people of Israel tried to substitute a golden idol for what they truly needed,(God)we do the same today. Instead of having God as number one and provider of all things GOOD for us, WAITING for Him in all of it, accepting it may not look like what WE thought it would be, we turn to many things to fill up. Money, power, position, success at all cost, society standards and self importance in them, postmodern thinking (that one says we can make anything up as we go! If we think it, it must be true.) There is no standard there! We compromise truth, twist truth, justify going away from truth....all for self. We turn from God and His teachings that are the opposite, that could cause us to be humble, selfless and giving, instead of taking.

God's Word supersedes the word of men. The moment we put man's word before God's Word that is the beginning of religions and all kinds of isms in the world today. Disobedience is a word I can use for this sort of thing. It happens in the Garden of Eden when God told Adam and Eve to eat all fruits in the garden except the one in the middle of the garden. When the serpent tempted Eve she went ahead and ate it and gave it to Adam to eat. That is disobedience.

The people of Israel heard about the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images and yet they went contrary against it and did their own thing. That is disobedience. Under no circumstances are they allowed to make idols for themselves.

Aaron facilitated their sin because he was under pressure. He wanted to please the people rather than pleasing God. Which is more important, pleasing God or man? Disobedience to God's Word is on display here too. Aaron should know better.

The golden calf made God feels rejected, betrayed, and angry. The people of Israel knows how God always feels about idolatry which is coveteousness.

Disobedience, pride, coveteousness, and **** for the things of the world are some of the idols Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day.

The Israelites are just like all people. They have a short memory, strengthen by the fear of God speaking to them. By Moses being gone so long, it make them feel leaderless and more fearful that some nation may attack them. Also having had many graven images in Egypt, they drew upon their memory in making a golden calf.

Aaron did not have strong leadership character. He was moved my mob action that he felt fear of. To keep in good favor with the people, he then helped them build the golden calf.

Any idol worship by any people group would make God angry, but here His people who just heard the ten commandments, which included not making any idols, kept doing their own thing of not listening to God, but their own instincts.

I am sorry to say that there are many:

1. dead saints

2. statues of dead saints

3. the Pope

4. church buildings

5. church worship

6. Bible translations

7. pastors

8. money

9. possessions

10. Bible scholars

These are but a few of the idols that Christians have today.

Old habits, old lifestyles and customs are hard to break - especially when there is no one to challenge them. . .These were things they had become accustomed to when in Egypt - and it seems that these things followed them out of Egypt as they traveled toward Canaan. . .

- Possible out of fear. . .possibly as an attempted religious practice hoping to keep their focus on God. . .

- The golden calf angered God - no matter what the intent was - it being an image cause God to be angry with the people. . .

- Figures of angels. . .specific buildings. . .specific people. . .

B)

I think that it is possible that the people thought Moses was not coming back, and that it was God's fault.They quickly sucumbed to their old ways of idolatary.

God was upset and angry with these actions

I think one of the idols created in the church today is simply accepting man's own ways and beliefs above those of God's, and this mostly done in the name of science.Many people have strayed from atheir belief in Gods word because they believe that science has disproved the Bible.

Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images? They had not really left behind their old lives in Egypt. Up until this point, their moaning had been longing for a return to Egypt where there was plenty of food and a constant supply of water. Now it extends to a hankering back to the old Gods despite everything which they had seen happen since leaving Egypt.

Why do you think Aaron facilitated their sin? It was the path of least resistance. It was easier to bend to the wishes of the majority than to stand firm for what Aaron must have known was God's way.

How do you think the golden calf made God feel? Angry.

What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day? The seemingly obvious answer to this question at least when looked at from a protestant point of view are things like statues of Saints and of the Virgin Mary or icons. However, I am not sure that is entirely correct. A statue or an icon can be an idol if it replaces God. However, where the statue or icon is simply an aid to focus worship on God, then in my view it ceases to be an idol and becomes a part of the worship. The same can be said of a lot of things in Church, the music, the liturgy, even prayers. If they become an item for veneration in themselves, then they become an idol. If they are a part of or a focus for the worship of God, then they are not idols.

Answer:

1.Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images?

As spoken,prophesied by God,in a dream to Abraham..the Israelites people will be in bondage for more than 400 years in Egypt.:

Gen 15:13-14- And he saidunto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years ; 14 And also that nation , whom they shall serve , will I judge : and afterward shall they come out with great substance

To be exact,it is 430 years(Exodus 12:40- Now the sojourning of the children of Israel , who dwelt in Egypt , was four hundred and thirty years)

During this bondage,hard labor,The Hebrew people are so accustomed to see idols, of their master being prayed...

The impact of the graven images,being worshipped in their midst,might be so great that,they also might have followed,or force to follow to avoid punishments.For 430 years they have done it,it become their daily lives,they began to get accustomed with it..and maybe are comfortable with it...

They want to see some representations,something tangible that they can relate to,just like their Egyptian boss.They want to imagine something,some figures,something that they can worship.

But God is a Spirit(John 4:24)...and He only wants His people to know that HE IS THE GREAT I AM.

Exodus 3:13-14-..... What is his name ? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses , I AM THAT I AM:

1. Fear, doubt and habit. Fear that Moses had taken God with him and left them; doubt that they had really seen the miracles God had done for the, the manna, quail, and water in the desert, and all the miricles leading to their journey; worshipping other gods was a habit acquired over 400 years in Egypt. Hard to break that habit.

2. He was trying to please the people, not God. He wanted to remain a popular leader, rather than a pious leader.

3. Angry, furious, probably sick with disgust.

4. Some churchs worship saintly people and pray to them. Some have more pride in their buildings and bank balances than pride in and love for God

The people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images because during the 400 years in bondage in Egypt they were use to it. It was the path of least resistance. It was easier to bend to the wishes of the majority than to stand firm for what Aaron must have known was God's way. It hurts God's feeling deeply since his people left him for some graven image like the golden calf. Christian worship idols in the media, money, wealth and other material possession in our day.

It is so very true that the people heard God's commands in Exodus 20, and from their ancestors they knew or heard about God. From their ancestors they as well had heard about gods, and for more than 400 years they lived where they saw the practices of worshipping gods. I think more specifically they did so because the True and Living God is a Spirit, and they being influenced by a stronger influence desired to worship something that they could resonate according to their five senses, their own understanding and their feelings.

Aaron may have been a leader in his family if he had one, and he may have been a good leader in his family. However he was faced with a new facet of leadership, people who were not a part of his direct family. People that he did not intimately know, nor they him. He was not chosen to lead these people, he was chosen to aid Moses, to be his spokes person. Having said that, Aaron succumbed to the people's desire instead of seeking God's counsel. He as Timothy wrote adhered to itchy ears! He leaned upon his own understanding, recalling where he had just came from and in regards to the idol he formed that which he thought was accommodating.

I don't know exactly why Aaron facilitated their sins, however I suspect it was he assumed doing what they wanted was less confrontational. Also by associating

Hurt, grieved, disappointed and angry

Unfortunately since rededicating my life to Christ I have on occasions made a golden calf or two (elevating a person and hobbies/activities). I know that God felt the same way towards me. PRAISE be to God that He is merciful, patient, extended His mercy, Grace and Love. In the process of growing I saw Him, repented and continued to walk. My prayers are that I do not build anymore.

There are many within the church houses, however the most dangerous are the ones' that are seen but cannot be physically touched. Pride, envy and money are a few to mention. These three are often facilitated from the pulpit and the pews. Many profess "we got the truth! compare themselves with others and point out deficiencies and or defects they believe exist within other denominations; Many look with a green eye at what other ministries are doing, vise praying that the Will of God be done accordingly; Many preach prosperity as in obtaining earthly treasure is the focus of God, and if a person doesn't have it some taint the faith of Believers.

There are many more and too many to make mention, what I can say with confidence is that many which are mentioned in the Bible are still continued today within many church houses. They may not be in the form of physical items, but in the spirit of many of the items that are mentioned in the Bible.

While these sacred transactions were taking place on the mount, a far different scene was enacted below in the camp of Israel. Without attempting the foolish and wrongful task of palliating the sin of making the Golden Calf, (Exodus 32:1-6) it is fight that the matter should be placed in its true light. The prolonged absence of Moses had awakened peculiar fears in the people. They had seen him pass more than a month ago into the luminous cloud that covered the mount.

Pax