JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Interceding

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Exodus 32:11-13, 30-35; 33:12-17) Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses

In Moses' ministry interceding for the people is so important because of God's Word and promises to the Israelite and Moses' own personal favor with God.

This is such an important role for pastors and lay leaders today so that they can be able to act as leaders in cases of crisis.

To intercede effectively before God, we must know both his character and his promises because such knowledge makes us His personal friends, thus He can listen quickly and positively to our requests.

The people had no one else to intercede for them.

This is an important role for pastors/leaders today because God wants their hearts to be right with Him.

Only by being in the Word daily can we know of the character of God & of his promises which Moses used in intercession for the people. That puts feet on our intercession.

Q3. (Exodus 32:11-13, 30-35; 33:12-17) Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses' ministry?

God called and raised Moses up to be His visible representative to the people (as Jesus came in the flesh to show us Who God is and to reveal the heart of God) The success of the "mission" depended on Moses revealing God's heart to the people and knowing God brought Moses' heart into alignment with God's desires. These verses in Exodus, were tests for Moses leadership as God said He would destroy the people and raise Moses' seed into a great nation....pride and arrogance did not win out! The humility and dependence upon God Moses had learned during the abasing time in the wilderness, had "worked their work" and he proved himself a faithful leader through his intercession....God's heart for the people had become Moses heart.

Why is this such an important role for pastors and lay leaders today?

At one point Moses felt responsible FOR the people more than responsible TO GOD. Stress is about how I relate to what I do. Intercession not only brings God into the lives of people, it moves pastors and leaders into right relationship with God and brings clear perspective on Who is responsible FOR the people...God. Intercession shifts responsibility to God's shoulders where it belongs. I Peter 5:6, 7 addresses this I think. Intercession keeps us humble. "Therefore humble yourselves, demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you, casting the whole of your care, all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all on Him, for He cares about you watchfully." Prayer changes our own hearts, and allows us to "partner" or align our desires/prayers with His desires. Intercession is what changes peoples lives, not our leadership skills.

To intercede effectively before God, why must we know both his character and his promises?

Intercession is not about me trying to manipulate God to do my will in others lives...it is about praying His will and purposes into those lives....impossible to do effectively if I don't know God or His Word of promise. In my early days, intercession was all fear based and crying out to God so that my loved ones wouldn't ever hurt emotionally or feel pain or discomfort of any kind as I had experienced. When I began to "know" Him (not about Him) and to learn His Word, my prayers changed to His hearts cry! For restoration, and salvation, and growth and maturity in Christ, and the crucifixion of the flesh that hinders those things.....and yes there has been pain and discomfort and loss for some, but the rewards in Christ are far greater! Praise God!)

Q3. (Exodus 32:11-13, 30-35; 33:12-17) Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses

Why is interceding for the people so important for Moses? Because He was their caregiver. God had given him the role of leading and guiding the people. He was to take them to the promised land. It turned out to be a long journey, but his purpose was to lead them where God was telling him to take them. God was giving Moses instruction for the people, their lives and conduct and direction in where they were going. Moses was God's spokesperson to the people. I love the "heart" of Moses in his second prayer, after the slaughter, but don't want to loose the power of his first prayer. The prayer Moses offered first, was appealing to God's character and faithfulness and honor. God wanted to utterly destroy the people and Moses reminds God that He had brought them out of Egypt, with great power and a mighty hand. He says, "Why should the Egyptians say it was with evil intent that You brought them out to kill them on the mountain and to wipe them off the face of the Earth?" He then reminds of God's promises. "Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel to whom you swore by your own self, I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give all your descendants all this land." At this, the Lord relented. Moses appealed to God's faithfulness in promises and in preserving God's honor to a doubting outside world. He was submitting and honoring God, not just asking for the people to be spared. God did not destroy the people at that time, but He did call for a turning back to Him and obedience from the tribe of Levi to slaughter the people. Sin still was not tolerated.

The second prayer was offered more in a "heart" for the people. "But now please forgive their sin-but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written." Here, he identifies in relationship with the people. He is offering self sacrifice for them. But God does not relent in this request. He just says, "Whoever has sinned against me, I will blot out of my book. Now go lead the people....." Then He sent a plague. They were punished, but not destroyed as the others had been. The sin of no one was excused, those who turned back to God and were obedient to His command were spared the slaughter, but received the plague.

We too today as leaders, need to know the character of God. He is sovereign and our direction is from Him. Our hearts should be in relationship with the people in our care....but first and foremost it should be that they know truth and obedience to God. Our whole purpose is in relationship with God to lead the people to God. That should be our prayer. To appeal to His character, in His purposes, so they may know Him. You can't lose with God first! In this world it might seem we are.... but only losers to things that don't matter, that will all pass away.....but just wait! Wait for the REAL promises.

How does that song go? All the losers get a crown!

Q3. (Exodus 32:11-13, 30-35; 33:12-17)

Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses' ministry?

Moses had to step in and intercede on behalf of the Israelites. They had broken their promises to God and committed gross idolatry and immorality. God was most angry and threatened to have them all killed.

Pastors and leaders know the Word and know the Promises He has made and are therefore well qualified to intercede on our behalf.

To intercede effectively before God, why must we know both his character and his promises??

We can only come to God covered in the righteous blood of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Then we come as a child before our Heavenly Father and make our requests on behalf of others known. We know Him as a loving, merciful, and caring Father; we also know that He keeps His promises and will always answer in His perfect time and in His perfect way.

Q3. (Exodus 32:11-13, 30-35; 33:12-17) Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses' ministry? Why is this such an important role for pastors and lay leaders today? To intercede effectively before God, why must we know both his character and his promises??

Answer:

1.Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses' ministry?

God appointed Moses to be a leader,of Hebrew People..God could have seen something in Him,that nobody can see..There must be a reason...The book of Hebrew tell us why:MOSES FAITH

Hebrews 11:24-25-24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years , refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; 25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God , than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season.

Moses love the Hebrew people(Exodus 2:12-And he looked this way and that way , and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian , and hid him in the sand /..Exodus 2:17- And the shepherds came and drove them away but Moses stood upand helped them, and watered their flock)...He will defend them,and help them in any He can,including interceding in their behalf.

By His intercession,Moses demonstrated to the people,that indeed God's favor is in them,and that God is merciful..They know the gravity of their sin...They have agreed to follow God's Word,and that in chapter 20..God has told them to HAVEN NO OTHER GODS BEFORE HIM..

Exodus 19:8- And all the people answered together , and said , All that the LORD hath spoken we will do . And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD .

Exodus 20:1-3- 1 And God spake all these words, saying , 2 I am the LORD thy God , which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt , out of the house of bondage . ; 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me . 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above , or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

So by intercession,Moses established His position as The leader,to which God can communicate,to which God listen,and through Him,through His intercession,God will be merciful,and forgives...A type and shadow of things to come in JESUS CHRIST.

2,Why is this such an important role for pastors and lay leaders today?

It is important role for pastors and lay leaders today,so that the congregation can feel God's presence in their behalf.In the NEW TESTAMENT,we are all Priest and King(Rev 1:6- And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father ; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.)..however the role of pastor and lay leader is still important.God can speak to the Pastor regarding His Plan to the Church,and for each individual member,so that it is important for the congregation to accept,and trust the leadership of the Pastor,that indeed it is from God...TRUST is the key word..The people should Trust the Pastor or the Leader for the CHURCH to be strong and united,IN CHRIST.

3. To intercede effectively before God, why must we know both his character and his promises?

We have nothing except God's WORD..HIS PROMISES..Without His Word,we hold nothing..Interceding in fact is GOD'S WILL:

Isaiah 59:16- And he saw that there was no man , and wondered that there was no intercessor therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained.

Ezekiel 22:30- And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge and stand in the gap before me for the land , that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Isaiah 64:7- And there is none that calleth upon thy name , that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face H6440 from us, and hast consumed us, becausef our iniquities.

In the New Testament,Apostle James encouraged us to Pray to one another..Jame 5:16- Confess your faults one to another , and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

God has spoken the WORD...and He says LET THERE BE LIGHT...and indeed there was Light,even though the Source of Light has never been in existence..WHY?Because God speak it...When He says something that He will do..HE will do it..Because God is Faithful,and He cannot deny Himself(2 Tim 2:13- Ifwe believe not yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.).

Numbers 23:19-Godis not a man , that he should lie; neither the son of man , that he should repent : hath he said , and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken , and shall he not make it good.

So it is important to have God's Word and Promises,for God will always honor the Word that He had spoken,the promises that He has bowed to do,He will do it....All of these when making request,intercession,mediation..should be done....IN THE NAME OF JESUS..FOR HE IS OUR ONLY MEDIATOR BETWEEN GOD AND MAN.

John 16:23- And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily , verily, I say unto you , Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name he will give it you .

John 14:13-14- 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name , that will I do , that the Father may be glorified in the Son 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name , I will do it.

1 Tim 2:5-For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men , the man Christ Jesus ;

To God says to Moses, that the Israelites had corrupted themselves. Sin is the corruption of the sinner, and it is a self-corruption; every man is tempted when he is drawn aside of his own ****. They had turned aside out of the way. Sin is a departing from the way of duty into a by-path. They soon forgot God's works. He sees what they cannot discover, nor is any wickedness of the world hid from him. We could not bear to see the thousandth part of that evil which God sees every dayntercede effectively before God, why must we know both his character and his promises?? God expresses the greatness of his just displeasure, after the manner of men who would have prayer of Moses could save them from ruin; thus he was a type of Christ, by whose mediation alone, God would reconcile the world to himself. Moses pleads God's glory. See the power of prayer. In answer to the prayers of Moses, God showed his purpose of sparing the people, as he had before seemed determined on their destruction; which changes of the outward discovery of his purpose, is called repenting of the evil. Why is such an important role for pastors and lay leaders today? Because God replied:

Why is interceding for the people so important in Moses' ministry?

The people prior to being delivered from physical Egypt, the Scriptures informs us that they prayed and God heard their prayers. However as they are now gathered with Moses in the process of being delivered from spiritual Egypt, they are not in relationship with God as He desires. Moses is striving to be in relationship with God as He desires, therefore it is important in his service. Moses intercedes / appeals on the bases of having a personal relationship; that he found favor with God; that he was a willing and teachable vessel; and because he recalled what God had said to him.

The people at this point (perhaps not all) as a whole were still in spiritual Egypt, and acting upon their own spirit's not according to the Spirit of the Lord.

It is just as important today as it was in Moses' day unfortunately because the same issues are abreast. Some people still have a spiritual Egypt mentality, many will walk in or after their own understanding, many are just as the people were in the desert, "stiff-necked". It is so important because pastors appointed or called are, have a great responsibility as under shepherd to lead and care for the spiritual of people under their care by the Will of God

To intercede effectively before God, why must we know both his character and his promises?

So that we remain in His Will, so that our interceding has substance, being that it would be based on what He has already said.

Answering to Q. 3:Moses as the leader had the responsibility to lead Israelites to the promised land, to look after and tend them well in all scopes of normal life; so he had to intervene in everything, of course, in interceding to God for both the negative and positive matters.

Today people still complain and grumble at almost everything in everyday life,so pastors and lay leaders ought and/or have to pray and intercede for them besides giving or teaching them the truth of life.

We must know both his character and promises in order to intercede effectively for if we do not learn or know well enough of these things, how we can inform, encourage and/or be the good witness to the Word and Love of God we proclaim.