JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Flow of Worship in the Tabernacle

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship?

The arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us that God is particular about the way in which preparation for worship is performed. When we prepare ourselves for worship, and are prepared to receive the Presence of God according to His wWill, He will appear.

Why do you come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself?

You come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself because they represent the shedding of the old man and the putting on of the new man. Only when you are fully adorned in the new man can you enter into and receive the Glory of God.

Q3. What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship? Why do you come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself?

The arrangement of the furniture, the Tabernacle and the courtyard teaches us the flow of worship:

1. Entering. We enter into prayer to begin to seek God and draw near to him.

2. Sacrifice and confession of sin are represented by the bronze altar where sacrifices for sin were made. Christ is our sacrifice since our sin has caused an estrangement from God. As we confess our sins in humility and look with faith to his sacrifice for us on the cross, we connect with his grace and atonement.

3. Cleansing and forgiveness are represented by the bronze laver or basin. We receive his forgiveness and cleansing by faith with thankfulness.

4. Worship is the next step. As the priests tended the lamps, the table, and the altar of incense, we offer regular thanksgiving and praise to God in the Holy Place, as a sweet fragrance before him.

5. Encounter with God in the Holy of Holies is the ultimate goal. Before him in the Holy of Holies, our words are no longer necessary as we bask in his presence.

The bronze altar and bronze laver were outside the Tent because we have confess our sins and be cleansed and forgiven before we can truly worship God will all our heart and all our strength.

Q3. What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship? Progression to the ultimate encounter is important.

Why do you come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself? We must be cleansed or purged through confession, repentance, and purity of heart before approaching God.

Q3. What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship? Why do you come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself?

Worship should be orderly, for one thing. No noncense, and eficient.

I come to the bronze alter and the basin first, so that I can 1. confess my sins, and 2. be cleansed of all unrighteousness.

We come before God with worship--Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise!

We need to be cleansed before entering. There is no way to enter if we aren't cleansed by Jesus first!!

Q3. What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship?

It teaches that there should be an "order of service". When we begin to pray to God we need to confess our sins and ask His forgiveness, which has been purchased for us by the shed blood of Jesus Christ. We don't take that for granted though. We receive forgiveness and cleansing when we ask for it then we move on to worshiping God. Symbolically, under the old Covenant, the priest would firstly sacrifice an animal or bird for his sins, then wash himself clean in the basin, then proceed inside the tent to worship God. Jesus has paid the price for our admission into the presence of God but we still should approach Him with respect and awe. It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God . . That's in the New Testament.

Why do you come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself?

In order to approach the presence of God ceremonially clean. A sacrifice for the remission of sins then a washing of the hands and feet make it OK then to approach God.

The arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teaches us the typical progression in Chistian worship as we approach the very presence of God.

I come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before I reach the tent itself in order to confess my sins in humility and to look with faith to His sacrifice for me on the cross, thus to connect with His grace and atonement. Thereater to receive His forgiveness and cleansing.

The arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about the orderly manner we approach God in worship to him. We see a progression as we approach the very presence of God, a progression that is typical of Christian worship as well as Old Testament worship.

God abhors sin so before we can approach his presence we need to purge ourselves of sin. Before we can reach the tent itself, we need to come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin to receive God's forgiveness and cleansing by faith with thankfulness.

I believe that it was set up to show the Israelites how they were to meet with God. It showed them how to purify themselves before meeting with God.

From past teaching, I have learned that outside the Tabernacle fence was to represent the world or the lost. As you enter through the fence, you come to the Altar, which represents the sacrifice of Jesus and our belief in Him. Next we come to the Laver which represents immersion, or cleansing from sin by the blood of Jesus. After that, we become a part of the church or the first room of the Tabernacle. The Lampstand is the Bible, the table of shewbread is communion, the Altar of Incense's smoke is our prayers going into the presence of God in the Holy of Holies.

Q3.

What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship?

It teaches us about a natural progression that should take place before entering into His Presence. There has to be sacrifice (made for us by Christ) and confession. Once we have confessed our sins we receive His cleansing and forgiveness; can we worship Him by praising and thanking Him. Only now do we enter into His presence.

To receive His cleansing and forgiveness before we come into His presence.

The arrangement of the furniture seems to show us the steps we need to take to enter into the presence of God. We start our communion with God in prayer. At the bronze alter, we confess our sinfulness. We have already acknowledged that we desperatly need a savior and we find Him in the Lord Jesus. We confess our sins before God and man so we may change our ways and be forgiven. I don't think that this can transpire without thankfulness and appreciation for the forgiveness of sins. This leads to the laver, which is where we worship a God of mercy and righteousness.

The arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle and the courtyard show us a progression in worshiping God. Our first form of worship is coming before the Lord in prayer, then we confess our sin (bronze altar) and are washed clean of our sins, confessing the blood of the Lamb.(Laver) We then can enter into he Holy of Holies which is the very presence of God. Confession/Repentance of sin is important for our cleansing because we must confess we are sinners to accept the blood of the Lamb as forgiveness for our sins. Anyone who won't say they are a sinner, doesn't think they need cleansing or Jesus. But we, know we do, and confess that and repent of our sins. Accepting our salvation through His blood.

I think these were instruction for how to approach a Holy God before grace came to us in the New Covenant. I thank God that now, since the Cross, we are told to "come fearlessly and confidently and boldly, drawing near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners) that we may receive mercy (for our failures) and find grace to help in good time for every need...(appropriate help and well timed help), coming just when we need it!" Hebrews 4:16. Amplified

I enjoy the freedom of coming to the Lord in whatever state I'm in without observing a formula. (I don't believe that is what Pastor Wilson is suggesting here however) I was taught as a new believer, the ACTS formula for prayer...Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. That hindered me in being transparent and honest in my prayers as I tried to "pray in the correct order".

But in corporate worship I appreciate order, especially in Communion, where the Lord's Body and Blood remind me that it was for every sin and failed righteousness on my part, that Jesus suffered and died such a painful death. I love the 45 min. of worship in our church at the beginning of the service, where Jesus is lifted up and where my heart is prepared to receive His Word with gladness and openness.

Num 1:50 tells us that the Levites were to carry the tabernacle when journeying and all its furnishings, and they shall minister to it and encamp around it, as a reminder that God's Presence was always near. Prayer is for me, stepping into His Presence rather than "trying to get Him to come to me" via some kind of progression through a formula.

These represent sin and cleansing.....the laver was made from the bronze mirrors of the women....I expect when one bent over it to wash the hands and face, one's own reflection could be seen....a reminder to examine one's own heart and life for sin needing His cleansing and forgiveness.

The table was used to display twelve loaves of bread in the presence of the Lord. It was approximately three feet long, eighteen inches wide, and twenty-seven inches high.The English word tabernacle comes from the Latin tabernaculum, meaning

1. Worship begins with certain steps leading to God. Cleansing and repentence, sorrow for sin.

2. We must be repentent of our sins, pray for forgiveness and be cleansed of sin before we are worthy to worship our God.

The Tabernacle which, from the New Covenant prospective, suggests the 3 persons of the Divine Trinity (a unity of 3 in 1) while the arrangement of the furniture forms a cruciform, foreshadowing the altar of the Cross and the site of the final and perfect sacrifice.

God promised in Exodus 20:24 that whenever sacrifice was offered He would come to Israel at the moment of sacrifice and He would bless Israel. At the Bronze Altar of Burnt Offerings in the courtyard of the Tabernacle/Temple the cloud of smoke that rose from the burning sacrificial victim was the visible sign that God had come and had received the offerings of the Covenant people both individually and collectively, recompensing them by His blessings: An altar of earth you shall make for me, and upon it you shall sacrifice your holocausts and peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen. In whatever place I choose for the remembrance of my name I will come to you and bless you.

Pax

The Tabernacle which, from the New Covenant prospective, suggests the 3 persons of the Divine Trinity (a unity of 3 in 1) while the arrangement of the furniture forms a cruciform, foreshadowing the altar of the Cross and the site of the final and perfect sacrifice.

God promised in Exodus 20:24 that whenever sacrifice was offered He would come to Israel at the moment of sacrifice and He would bless Israel. At the Bronze Altar of Burnt Offerings in the courtyard of the Tabernacle/Temple the cloud of smoke that rose from the burning sacrificial victim was the visible sign that God had come and had received the offerings of the Covenant people both individually and collectively, recompensing them by His blessings: An altar of earth you shall make for me, and upon it you shall sacrifice your holocausts and peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen. In whatever place I choose for the remembrance of my name I will come to you and bless you.

Pax

Answer:

1 What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship?

It tells us that,to approach God,one must pass through pre conditioned acts,or ceremony to be accepted.Worshipping God in the old Testament is hard,it is not that people don

Q3. What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship? That God intends that there should be a clear and well defined order for worship which involves prayer, confession, cleansing and forgiveness and then worship. We cannot come into the presence of God without first going through the process of confession and forgiveness.

Why do you come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before you reach the tent itself? The altar represents the sacrifice (which in our case has been made once and for all by Jesus on the cross) and confession and the laver or basin represents cleansing and forgiveness, all of which are required before we can enter God's presence.

The arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle and the courtyard show us the progression in worshiping our lord God. The first form of worship is coming before the Lord in prayer, then when we confess our sin(s) and are cleanse of our sins, then confessing the blood of the Lamb (represent Jesus Christ in our days. We then can enter into he Holy of Holies which is the very presence of God. Confession/Repentance of sin is important for our cleansing because we must confess that we are sinners, then we can accept the blood of the Lamb as a forgiveness for our sins. Anyone who won't say they are a sinner, doesn't think they need cleansing or Jesus. But we, know we do, and confess that and repent of our sins. Accepting our salvation through His blood.

What does the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teach us about worship?

That there was and is a process that is pleasing to God, yet I am somewhat reluctant to place this process to a formula. Understanding that the True and Living God is a God of order and not confusion, we are to worship Him decently, with reverence and godly fear. I am still somewhat reluctant to place the process to a formula.

Not attempting to distract from the lesson, nonetheless there is public worship and private worship. I understand that in both there is yet a process and I get the progression.

Let me conclude Worship is acknowledging that He is worthy. The woman at the well (John 4), technically she entered at the encounter with Christ, as she received what He was sharing there was confession and cleansing. She then went on to testify, as she did so she worshiped the Lord. Hopefully I'm not taking this next verse out of context: Hebrews 11:21- By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.

The altar represents the sacrifice (which in our case has been made once and for all by Jesus the Christ upon the cross) and confession and the laver or basin represents cleansing and forgiveness. Simply put I did because it was the way to be in relationship with Him. I do so because I desire to be in intimate relationship with Him. Through Him there was justification, by Him I am being sanctified, God willing I will be glorified. Although I often fall short, it is my utmost desire to WORSHIP Him in all that I do.

Answering Q.3:The arrangement tells us of the gradation of holiness where the normal people stay at bronze or outer area while the priests stay at the inner part and only the high priest can enter into the most holy zone and only once a year.

We come to the bronze area to express ourselves as the sinners and unworthy to offer sacrifices and blessings. So, we should clean ourselves first and then confess of our sins or to fully reconcile to God and ask the priest to offer our sacrifices for us instead.

I think that the arrangement of the furniture, the tabernacle, and the courtyard teaches us that we need to all that we can to reach the Holy of Holies. We should confess our sin to God and worship Him. Since the curtain of the Holy of Holies had been torn in half when Jesus was crucified, we not have access to it through Jesus.

We come to the bronze altar and the laver or basin before we reach the tent itself so we can confess our sins and God to forgive them. Only Jesus can was our sins away and that was when he shed his blood for us.