JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Comfort and Comforting

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:3-7) What kind of comfort do you receive from your faith in God? From your personal daily relationship with God? How might you share the blessing of this kind of comfort with a friend or relative who is currently suffering? What words of comfort can you bring to others?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comfort I get from my faith in Christ is assurance that whatever happens in my life now is for my own good, that it is because God is conforming me into the image of Jesus and that one day He will receive me unto Himself, that my salvation is sure and secure. The comfort I receive from God also helps me to endure whatever trials I might be going through. It help me get through ever minute, ever hour, ever day; some days more patiently than others. It gives me a peace that we cannot understand (Phil. 4:7) and this is what I tell family and friends when they need help from suffering.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:3-7) What kind of comfort do you receive from your faith in God? From your personal daily relationship with God? How might you share the blessing of this kind of comfort with a friend or relative who is currently suffering? What words of comfort can you bring to others?

It is faith in God that gives deep lasting comfort. The words of friends are sweet (sometimes) and comforting but only God can provide the true comfort that reaches the inner parts of the soul. I read the Bible every day however it is not enough. I must spend more time in prayer and talking to Him, singing hymns. I need constant relationship with Him. My sister put it this way last night that she becomes a hamster in a wheel and that is how I can get. My husband became very ill this summer and his recovery has been difficult and I too have become like a hamster in a wheel when I have needed to spend more time with the One who cares for us and can do all things.

I pass along what I have gotten. Bible verses, hymns, a hug, just listening, a smile, a kind word. It feels inadequate sometimes however the God of all comfort and God of all grace who knows our needs knows what they need and when they need it. He is never to late and we just need to be willing to be used by Him. We should be a little touch of heaven on earth for our neighbors, friends, and family.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

I receive comfort from knowing that God sees the bigger picture. When I’m only focused on the here and now, He reminds me that He has comforted me in the past and because He is faithful, He will continue to give me comfort and strength to face life’s difficulties. Sometimes others need to know that they are not alone – they may need to hear how I’ve been through what they are going through. Many times the best comfort I can give is to assure them that God cares and that He suffers when we suffer. “He is an ever present help in times of trouble.” (Psalm 9:9)

I receive peace knowing that He is with me through whatever I might be going through. I love vs 5 where it talks about...as the sufferings of Christ "abound toward us" our encouragement also abounds through Christ. I took that to mean...the more suffering we encounter, the greater amount of encouragement comes through Christ.

I live and breath in the comfort of knowing that I do not know everything but that God does and if I trust in God; He will take care of what I do not know.

I share this by radiating a light that others want to share. When they ask about the source of my glee, I simply tell them. They usually follow me to "Bible Study." It is the place to refill my cup and their cup as well. Truly, I am drinking from my saucer because my cup of God overflowed long ago.

My faith in God is what comforts me through the trials and difficulties of life.It's a peace that passes all understanding and a calm even in the midst of severe pain. The Lord Himself, by His Precious Holy Spirit, is my Comforter. He always comes alongside me and helps me when I totally depend on Him.Even in my daily relationship with the Lord, as I spend time in the Word, I sometimes hear His still, small voice comforting me and speaking peace to my troubled heart.I do share with my christian as well as non- christian friends how God's help and comfort can make all the difference in the world when you are going through struggles in life.Some receive it, some don't because they don't care much about God or the things of God.

My faith in God brings me through everyday trail and tribulations. HE Help me make it thru each and every day. My relalationship with GOD is growing more and more each day, studying the word and having personal time with him. I admit I need to do more and I shall do more because you just can;t get enough of Jesus. When people see you family or friends they see the change in you and want to know what is it about you that change. So then you share thee goodness of Jesus and what he does for you. Some will want to know more but some will not but if you just plant the seed about Jesus, It will grow in HIS time.

My faith in God provides a spiritual peace and mental comfort that I recognize daily regardless of whether there's difficulties or not. I thank God in prayer each day for that peace and comfort knowing how important it has become in my life. In conversations with others my expressions of comfort and peace often become emotional and I believe others recognize their importance in dealing with difficulties in their own lives. I tell others that "God is with you always" and "Pray hard for peace and comfort knowing that it will come."

I know that when the going gets tough, God is right there with me through the whole mess. I know that everything that I am going through is going to be making me a better women of faith; it's going to mold me into a better representation of what Jesus wants me to be--if I let God lead the way and I get out of His way. This comforts me. In my daily personal life, I let God lead and I follow. My motto is "whatever Lord". I try hard not to do things my way. And I find comfort that God has my best interests always in mind. When others are going through bad times, I share this with them. I share with them that God never leaves them and uses all things for their good because he loves them more than they can ever know.

I have suffered a lot and not just because I'm a christian. Being on the receiving end of bias and stigma toward those

with mental illness, I have learned to trust in God's grace. My only hope in times of suffering is the Cross. That is where

I would point other people in their suffering.

God is the God of all comfort. He comforts us whenwe are bereaved, in persecution, sickness and in different difficult situations. He gives us the grace to bear the pains and hurts in such situations whenever we cry out to him.

We can share this kind of comfort with a friend who is currently suffering by telling them how God helped us to go through our previous experiences and asked them to call unto God to do same for him.

We can tell such a friend that God really loves us, cares for us and feels our pain and is willing to come to help us in our our of need if call unto Him.

Just knowing that God is always there for me, give me great comfort. I can rely on Him for everything, because He is faithful. He loves me far more then I can ever love anyone. My Uncle just passed away, and my Aunt, told him, before he died. Stay near the gate, I will be there soon enough. She comforted me, with the faith that she has. His funeral was a celebration and everyone there spoke of his life and how he influenced them. That is faith, that is knowing God is there for you all the time. My Aunt is the perfect example of how to comfort others. She tells everyone, she loves them, she show everyone she loves them. She tell all that God loves them and she show it in how treats everyone, not just family. God is love and love is comfort. God doesn't let us go through trouble along, He is always right there with us.

The comfort I receive from my faith is KNOWING that Yeshua is Lord. He is with me all the time, and brings the peace that passes all understanding. Others can visibly see His grace and know that the comfort extended to them through His followers is indeed supernatural. It is important to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit when expressing the comfort of God. People "read" actions...not necessary your words.

Often a look or a touch will speak "comfort" more so than rattling off scripture. I find people want to know they are not alone...the fact that "you've been there," and He has brought you through means more, and is a "word in due season."

He will never leave and never forsake me. This I believe. This I know. It is His character I trust in...not my faith. His is the True and Living God. I am merely human.

1. The most comfort that I receive is assurance of His presence in my life. God said that He will always be with me, through any trouble or problem.

2. I don't worry about the future, for I know God will strengthen me when I need it. I don't worry about where the money comes from to live on, I just know God will provide it. The situations I have gone through have helped me to help others with the same situation.

3. I would be with them to let them talk about it and share how God has helped me in a simular situation, especially the assurance of His love

4. I know whom I believe in, and I know that He will cover me in His love when I need it. Trust in Jesus, He never fails to give and to take upon Himself our pain.

The comfort that I receive the most from God is the knowledge that He is there and that I am not alone. I try to tell my son who is suffering from depression that He is there for him, too. And I tell him and show him that I am there for him as well.

I am learning that not everything is about me. God uses us to be a part of other's lives for His purposes. It is comforting to know that God trusts me to be part of His plan for the betterment of someone else's life. With this knowledge comes acceptance of circumstances in my life and the lives of those I love. God will see us through everything.

When I am uncomfortable about something, that is a clear sign that I am not following God's will. God is a God of clarity, not of confusion. That's when I need to get back on track through bible study, prayer and meditation. The uncomfortable feelings push me in that direction and back to His will for me.

I received great comfort from my faith in God, I know he is always with me and I can talk to him at any moment. I know that not matter what happens in my life I can lean on Him and it is His will for me. I may not understand but through my faith I know it is His desire.

Because of the comfort I have I don't worry as much (we all worry) because I know God is in control. If I am concerned about something I give it to God and ask for his direction. My daily relationship in prayer and His word bring a certain peace to my life. I know he answers my prayers. I just went through a recent surgery very minor but still surgery and I prayed and I know my prayers were answered.

My faith in God gives me an assuring comfort, as I trust in Him and walk in obedience to His precepts I can rest knowing that regardless of the situation; because God knows my end from the beginning, I can be at peace. When friends and relatives are in need of comfort, sharing with them my experiences will lead them to have faith and trust the God of all comfort.

I know God is there, also when I don't feel His presence.

I'm not alone and He'll help me.

Every day God is a life buoy.

When you're alone, or feel tired, or don't know what to do He's there to help you through the day.

We can't see God, but by reading or hearing things like this we hear about Him.

So like Paul - who knew all kinds of trouble - comforts us, we can use this knowledge to comfort others.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)
What kind of comfort do you receive from your faith in God?
From your personal daily relationship with God?
How might you share the blessing of this kind of comfort with a friend or relative who is currently suffering?
What words of comfort can you bring to others?

I know that all good things have their origin in God and that they come to me through Jesus. In the same way the comfort I receive from God overflows through my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Knowing this and that my Heavenly Father is Sovereign; completely in control, as well as being continually involved with His creation - is a comfort to me and gives me absolute peace. This reminds me of one of my favourite verses, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:6-7). I often experience this God-sent comfort as I study the Word, or during my quiet time. The reading of psalms can also be a great source of comfort. Psalm 107:6, “Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.” Christian friends very often provide great comfort. God comforts us by giving us strength, encouragement, and hope to cope with all our problems. He may allow us to experience difficulties so that we are then able to comfort others. This is the way God in His sovereignty can take a traumatic experience and redeem it and create a blessing for others.
Since, as believers we are united with Christ and with each other, we are to share this comfort we receive. We must be less self-centred and listen to others without interruption – being sensitive to their deepest fears and worries. There are so many incidents that can propel us into grief and sorrow, and in our grief and tears many of us turn to God for comfort, guidance and hope. We hope that God will draw near to us, answer our deep questions and fill an aching void. In the same way our Lord comforts and strengthens us in our hardships and trials, are we to comfort others needing our sympathy and encouragement. We can be sure He will give us the strength to endure.

God has always been there for me when I've gone through deep dark valleys. At times I've felt I was held in his hand, when I was otherwise alone in my pain. When dealing with others it's impotant to let tem feel their feelings and see God working in His timing for them. However I certainly can talk to people about the dark struggles I've gone through and the fact that ultimately God is the one unnchanging, completely powerful, completely understanding one that I can rely on. I find tremendous comfort in the fact that God loves me no matter what, and He is in control of everything that happens, even those things that I don't understand or don't want to happen.

I find great comfort in His promise that He will never leave me, nor forsake me. When I am going through hard times, I seek diligently the lessons He would have me learn. As He confirms in my Spirit what He would have me do, I can gain further peace and exhiliration in my relationship with Him. Even if I don't get it right the first time, I can confidently continue my persuit of His path for my life, knowing that He is rooting for me; His guidance is forever before me. I can encourage others to seek God's will for their own personal lives, conveying the good news that His plan is so much greater than anything that we could think of on our own. Denying our own will leads to true peace. Faith in His love is eternal.

The kind of comfort my faith in God brings me is that I know where I will go when this life here on earth is over for me. It brings me no more fear of death. Yes, He comforts me with this truth.

He has also comforted me so much and in such a tremendous way when my daughter of 22 years was murdered by her boyfriend. I could not have gotten through such shock, pain and exceedingly terrible sorrow without Jesus' comfort amd consolation. As I would never wish this on any parent ever, I do know somewhat of how they do feel and because of this have become more enabled to comfort someone in this same kind of sorrow. I think that God's comfort in this tragedy for me has made me more compassionate because I have truly known His compassion, comfort and consolation. I have not suffered for Christ's sake except maybe a little when I first came to Him and tried to get others to come to Him and was made fun of but I have never suffered for Christ as Paul or the Christians in China or Somalia or other places where they suffer just because they belong to Christ. I would hope that I would be triumphant knowing that no matter what happens to me. He is with me and will comfort me no matter what. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding; acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your paths."Proverbs 3:5 This is one of my favorite scriptures and has helped me very much in my walk with the Lord.

Love, Joy and Peace

Brothers and Sisters

In Christ Jesus our Lord!

Dotty B.

When I go to God with a problem, or issue of any kind, I find that God comes and comforts my heart. He keeps me calm until the problem or issue is settled, and there are no more worries.

When someone comes to me needing prayer or help, I just share with them how that God emptied all the worry and stress, and calmed me, and kept me until the answer to my prayer came. God answers prayer! He does it in His way, in His time! And-His way and time are always best!