JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Growing through Crisis

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When working with a physical trainer, they NEVER let you stop where you think you need to stop. Their command is always, "go to failure." I believe it is God's command as well--"go to failure." A crisis takes us face to face with our spiritual work-out. When standing there in disbelief you must default to God because at that moment, your perceived end is evident. God always picks up a new beginning at our perceived end. When it is over, He reveals that He was just revealing that we have not scratched the surface of His power in us. As for pride, it is truly over-rated. Our effectiveness is enhanced with new confidence when we realize that the battle is now ours anyway. Mostly, we realize that no weapon formed against us will prosper if we keep our eyes on God.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

Facing any crsis alone is almost always harrowing. Facing it with God makes all the difference in the world. I've tried it both ways and, believe me, with God I can face anything. Each time I deal with a crisis or issue with God guiding me I do so with a peace of knowing that, whatever the results, I will be a stronger person and that God's will is in the results. In the process I find greater humility, greater patience, greater comfort, and a much greater knowledge that the Holy Spirit is with me.

When we face a harrowing crisis, we usually know we can't fix it by ourselves. We must humble ourselves and ask for the Lord's intervention. This is just what God wants! He wants to be involved in our lives and helping us! He wants us to know that He is our Rescuer and our Redeemer in times of trouble. God gives grace to the humble and strength and courage and wisdom to face anything. With God on our side we can face anything. All we need is humility and some fear of the Lord and get rid of all personal pride and we can become very effective servants of God.

When facing a crisis, we can not rely on our own strong. God wants us to trust Him, to rely on Him. He wants to be involved in our lives. He loves us that much. There is a phrase in a song, which we should take to heart, "for I am weak but He is strong." We need to learn to lean on God for everything. Don't let your pride get in the way, become a humble servant of the Lord.

I really didn't understand this concept until I faced a serious illness that could change my whole life, Standing in the hospital, wondering why, with all the people who were praying for me, my illness was not going away I prayed the simple words, "Lord, may this cup pass from my lips. But if it cannot, not my will but thine be done."

It was then that I understood that the cup that God had given me was not more than I could handle because He was by my side.

I left the hospital changed forever both physically and spiritually. Since then, I have become more calm and serene realizing that I need not be anxious for God is with me.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

Facing a harrowing crisis helps us grow and draws us closer in our relationship with the Lord because we see ourselves as needing to be totally inadequate and dependent upon Him. We turn our focus upon our Lord and see Him as our deliverer and strong tower. I am strengthen and offer thanksgiving and worship to God in crisis. When we realize that we cannot depend on ourselves we see ourselves for the lowly creatures that we are, but with a powerful God who is waiting for us to call upon Him. Our pride is shelved and we open up to receive the love of God as His grace and mercy brings us into that place of a humble servant.

Having trials and crisis help us to realize, to see that there are things we cannot do, that we have to have more help than we have in ourselves; that we are really nothing and have no power at all within ourselves; in other words it teaches us to rely on the one true God; we have to turn to Him and have faith that He will solve the problem for us and at the same time give us patience, peace to endure while we are waiting on Him. Crisis have helped me to develop a closer relationship with God, a Father-child relationship, to where I look to Him for everything although sometimes He is not sought first all the time when I have crisis. I am still learning to do that. It has strengthened my faith in God to know that He is here for me even when I am out of fellowship with Him because of something that I have done that does not please Him; that He is just waiting on me to confess and He always forgives and welcome me back. Trials have also given me the experience that I need to be able to try to help others when they are having troubles and trials.

Facing a crisis on your own is next to impossible. When you put it in God's hands you are able to have peace and deal with the situation. God gives us trials ans situations to mold us as He wants. Sometimes he puts us in difficult situations to get out attention and bring our focus back to Him. It turned out to be nothing but I had a medical issue which in my mind may be very bad. I prayed and went to the Lord for guidence. This gave me the strenght and inner peace knowing this was his will. It brought me closer to Him as I think it does with all believers. These situations humble us we always think we can do it on our own but this brings us back to Jusus and we know we can do nothing on our own.

It's in the trying times of life that most of us tend to look to the Lord and rely on Him because crisis in life have a way of bringing us to the end of ourselves and looking to Him instead.I used to get so angry in the past because it seemed like I had to deal with one crisis after another, but somewhere in the process I have grown to realise trials do make me stronger and more spiritually mature.My problem is that I tend to focus more on the pain than the growth that comes with the pain.Sometimes, when I realise I can't rely on myself beacuse things are way above my head, I get panicky and anxious, but once my pride is gone , I remember it's when I'm totally dependent on Him that's when miracles come forth.Because of some of the persecution I have endured as a christian, I have also felt at times like I despaired of life, but I found out in those times that His divine, supernatural power is more than sufficient to carry me through those harrowing crisis in life.

My current experience of prolonged unemployment helps me by learning patience, acceptance and helps me learn faith and reassurance in my daily bread and promises of His supply of my needs and hearing of my prayers. I can avoid taking personally failed interviews, I can believe His Will for me includes a job to support my family and I can learn humility that even as I fail in this world He will sustain, protect and love me.

Often we try to solve our problems by ourselves. However, when things are really bad, we have to omit we can't solve it, and only then we turn to God. This humbles us and learns us we're completely dependant on God. This makes us more effective as God's servants. If we realy on ourselves, we're still proud, and don't completely trust in God.

God allows us to face these certain crises situations in order that we learn not to trust in ourselves, but to put our trust in Him. It is when going through a most difficult period in my life that I experienced the wonderful sense of God’s presence and peace and purpose. I had come to a new appreciation of the power of God – the God who raises the dead (v9). I got to know my Heavenly Father more personally and I experienced a deeper confidence and understanding of a God who comforts and sustains. This has taught me to rely solely on my Lord’s promises – He will be there for me. When the chips are down there is no time for pride. We might think we are in control but this is an illusion. When being deeply tested we discover the power of God and of prayer and thanksgiving. It is because of this stronger sense of God’s presence and power in my life that I have become a much more effective servant to Him.

I can really reate to this. I like to feel I can take care of myself without help, but God has taken me to a point over the last several years,wen I felt reallly helpless. My family was falling apart, with kids in crisis making bad choices, and a husband arrested and put in prison. Many times I felt I couldn't discuss with others what was going on so as not to gossip. I had to completely rely on God alone and He is faithful! He truly is our strength and our comfort. He also worked dramatically through my church family, but many times I felt it was me and God alone. My faith was strengthened immeasurably through this time.

It forces us to seek the help of another. If we turn to the Lord we learn to trust in His all-sufficiency, His grace and mercy. It was at the beginning of one deep (for me) crisis that I had my prayers answered in a way that could only be of God. I said to my husband (with great exuberance) "He answered, He answered". It was the beginning of a walk of relying on Him and not myself. When we rely on Him we are relying on One who knows everything including the thoughts in every head, every thing that will happen, and the One who has power to deliver.

Pride? What pride? I'd rather have Jesus!

We can more effectively serve with greater confidence our Lord as we fully trust in Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

We need to pray for each other!!

When one is finally brought down to the depths of despair ( an it will happen-all of us will experience defeat at some point in life, some more than others) that is when if we are non-believers we reach for something and it is not there. This is the time for most of us, if we are smart, that we begin to realize there is something more, and that something more is GOD! Sometimes God drives us to our knees to help us realize that He is our ONLY salvation. A salvation that cannot be found through any earthly thing. He does this because He loves us and wants to draw us, His children,near to Him. He wants us to learn to live righteously to honor Him because He knows the alternative ( living the devils way) will ultimately destroy us. He wants only good for His children. So, even when we are very down, feel rejected, and alone, He is there and we need to remember that All things work together for the greater good, even if we can't see it now.

1 Corinthians 13:12

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Learning that we cannot always rely on ourselves, and must turn to a higher power, GOD, is a very humbling experience. It was and still is for me. Relinquishing 'control' ( control we never really had in the first place, as GOD is in control)humbles us, it make us realize that we don't KNOW everything! And that we really are but a grain of sand, we are that small in the presence of our Lord.Yes, that small, and if anyone is really 'puffed' up realizing that, is humbling!! Very humbling!There is so much God can teach us, everything! Living life God's way is a daily learning experience and will always be a learning experience. Knowing and trusting in God's awesome power and living our lives in a Godly manner is the best way we can be ambassadors for God, it is the only way we can become good servants. For me, the turning point was realizing it is not all about "me" but it is all about God. I began asking what I could do for God instead of what He could do for me. I began to realize what it meant to Love God because He first loved me. I used to think this was a selfish statement, something a kid might say well..okay..you love me so I'll love you. But than I began to realize a much deeper implication of this love. I began to realize that I love God because He created me, because of all the sacrifices He made, because of His faithfulness, because of His grace when He sent His son to die for us so we may be forgiven!, Because of his "oneness", His sovereignty, because of His LOVE, His greatness,His power, His omnipresence and that is when I became God's servant!. He is ALL in ALL, the Alpha and the Omega! Knowing ALL of these things, truly knowing God, makes me a good servant!

When we are desperate, we are motuivated to learn! IvoryEagle says: “God always picks up a new beginning at our perceived end”. I love this. I think a crisis will teach us something new about God’s love and faithfulness, about what faith means, about what is really important compared to what we normally focus on. It will help us start again or continue on with renewed hope and confidence in God, and it will sharpen our spiritual insight and walk. We realise we need Him, we cannot do it ourselves…a lesson just as critical to learn, however, in the non crisis times. We are made to be dependent, ouch, this goes against our grain.

Facing a crisis helps me to cry out to the Lord because I know He is the only one who can help me. As I look back on situations in my life, I can say with 100% certainty that He has never failed me. He has never walked away from me. He was there when I didn't know it; He was there when I thought He wasn't. Sometimes you don't realize His presence until the situation is over. But by being vigilant and growing closer to Christ you will feel His presence more and more.

Every time I tried to rely on myself, I messed things up because they were not according to the will of God. He never gives me more than I can handle and sometimes takes things or people out of my life because it would be too much for me to deal with at the time either because it was not in HIs plan or because it would be harmful to me in some way. He loves me and wants only the best for me.

It is very humbling to turn our will and our lives over to God, especially in a crisis when we think that we know better and we know how to fix things, but time and time again He was right and I was wrong. The more I learn to trust Him, the more effective I will be in sharing the Good News with friends, family and all the people in my life. Trust is something that you learn by seeing results and there has never been a time when I trusted the Lord that things didn't turn out O.K. And then there's faith..........that's believing without seeing. And that's HIs gift to us and is strengthened more and more by growing closer to Him.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God's servants?

I've been blessed with being able to logically assess most situations in my life although I have to admit it takes me about three days to process any crisis. One of my daughters was stabbed in the back by her "boyfriend" about six years ago and my first thought was, "just give me ten minutes with this young man with a baseball bat in my hands!" Not very Christian to say the least. I prayed to God that my daughter would be healed and that I would have no ill will towards this man. God answered both of my prayers and once again my faith was strengthened. God takes us through "deep water" to cleanse us, not to drown us.

At the young man's trial, I was allowed to speak and through my faith in God and His faithfulness in my life, I was able to tell this man that I had forgiven him and that I would pray that he would seek God and receive Jesus Christ as his personal Savior. I could not have done this on my own. I don't know if he ever made a decision for Christ or not. Pride was not and is not an issue.

Facing a harrowing crisis helps us grow in the Lord because we learn we, in ourselves, are powerless and we need Him. They open our eyes to how many lies we believe about being in control or advancing our own happiness or how prideful we are in our doings. I've had many crisis's in my life and have learned different things from them. When my daughter died, I learned I did not have control of anything in life. I learned to rely on God to hold on by a thread to just keep living myself and I learned I couldn't go through a day without Him. He became my salvation.

When my husband couldn't work for 6 months and I was chronically ill myself, I learned God was my provider and I found He was my strength for the day to do what I needed to do. When friends leave, when we are are unjustly accused, when all the best laid plans fail....He's there. I learned He will never leave us or forsake us and He never has. He's been everything to me and I'm so grateful. He's so faithful if we look to Him and trust Him. We could never do enough to serve Him once we know how good He has been to us. Not for works alone, but in deepest love for Him. Even when we stray in our prideful ways, our crisis can bring us back into submission again, reminding us "our" way just doesn't suffice and we seek Him again for His way and we are content in the rest He gives us wondering what could we have possibly thought we were doing in the first place!

Facing a crisis will bring you to the Lord with your problems. Most crisis are beyond our own ability to fix. I find comfort knowing that God is handling what I cannot. The hardships I have gone through has taught me to go to Him with all of my thoughts, feelings and problems. He has brought me through when things seemed impossible. whenever I have relied on my abilities things never worked out. I believe God uses what was meant for our harm and turns it into good. It makes our dependency on ourself become smaller and smaller. It kills the pride we came submit to when we think we have achieved only what God can do. It will teach us to be more effective servants when we follow God's leading on who and when to bless. It will keep us quiet when we need not speak and it will lead us how to handle people in a loving manner so that they wil see the works of God instead of condemnation.

1.WE OFTEN FEEL WE CAN HANDLE OUR OWN CRISIS BUT AS WE TRY EVERYTHING WE REALIZE IT IS NOT WORKING. THIS IS WHEN WE TURN TO GOD. TURNING TO GOD IS NOT DEFEAT OR WEAKNESS. IT MAKES US REALIZE THAT WE ARE POWERLESS AND IN CONSTANT NEED OF HIS CONTACT.

2. IT HAS MADE ME A STRONGER PERSON. I ASK FOR GOD TO GIVE ME STRENGHT EVERY DAY.

MY CRISIS SEEM SMALL WHEN I LET THE LORD LEAD ME THROUGH THEM. THIS TAKES US BACK TO NUMBER ONE QUESTION WHEN WE TRY TO HANDLE IT ALL BY OURSELF. [LET GO LET GOD]

WE CANNOT DO ANYTHING ON OUR OWN. GOD IS IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING. HE KNOWS THE OUTCOME OF OUR CRISIS BEFORE IT EVER BECOMES A CRISIS. IT TAKES A BIG STEP OF FAITH TO LET LET GO AND LET GOD HANDLE OUR PROBLEMS. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT IT TAKES OUR SAVIOR TO HELP US IN OUR GREATEST TIME OF NEED.

4.PRIDE WILL GET YOU NOWHERE. WE ALL HAVE HAD BRUISED PRIDE, BUT PRIDE WILL KEEP US FROM GOING TO JESUS WITH OUR PROBLEMS. WE SHOULD RUN TOWARD GOD WITH ALL OUR CRISIS AND LET NOTHING STAND IN THE WAY. LEARN HOW TO RELY ON GOD DAILY BY PRAYER AND STUDING GODS WORD.

5. TELL OTHERS HOW GOD TOOK CONTROL OF YOUR CRISIS AND THROUGH PRAYER AND HIS WORD RESOLVED AND MADE YOU A STRONGER SERVANT FOR GOD

Whenever we face challenges, we usually remember to run to God for help. This increases our dependency on Him and draws us closer Him. This is part of spiritual growth.

As we learn to depend on God, this helps us to avoid depending on ourselves as we can not be able to solve our own problems by ourselves.

Going thru harrowing trials draws us closer to God. We find we need to cry out to him often. The more we keep in contact with God the stronger our faith grows! We know we cannot rely on ourselves and we lean on Jesus! Pride goes out the window with our self-reliance and we become more joyful, dependent servants for the Lord. Others will be able to recognize this in us & our witness will be stronger.

Question #2

(a) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? It lets me know that the God that I serve is always watching over His children, just as a hen protects her chicks. When he brings you through the crisis, you gain more confidence and knowledge of just how much our God cares for us.

(B) How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? This is where you get your spiritual from strength from, every valley I go through does not last forever, but I gain strength from it to help me fight the next crisis that I have to face, it is a continuing growing experience in the fullness of our spiritual life.

© What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? If I decide to face the crisis on my on, nothing good would come out of the situation, because God does not think as we do nor does He handle situations the same as us so I have learned to give it to Him and let Him take care of it. He never makes mistakes nor does He handle anything wrong.

(d) What does this do to our pride? The first thing you have to learn is that God despises pride. As it says in the Bible The third kind of love of the world, the Apostle speaks of under that uncommon expression, hE alazoneia ta biou. This is rendered by our translators, the pride of life. It is usually supposed to mean, the pomp and splendour of those that are in high life. But has it not a more extensive sense? Does it not rather mean, the seeking happiness in the praise of men, which, above all things engenders pride? When this is pursued in a more pompous way by kings or illustrious men, we call it "thirst for glory;" when it is sought in a lower way by ordinary men, it is styled, "taking care of our reputation." In plain terms, it is seeking the honour that cometh of men, instead of that which cometh of God only.A Treasury of Great Preaching.

(e) How does this improve our effectiveness as God's servants? It makes us stronger and a more stronger in our dependence upon our Lord Jesus Christ, to let Him know that I can't make it through this sin cursed world without His help. Knowing that my strength comes from Jesus Christ, means He is my all and all and that is everything.

Maranatha;

Brother Mike McCue