JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Intercessory Prayer

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul asks people to pray for him because it's scriptural! 1Tim 2:1,1 says, "There, I exhort first of all that supplications of, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men . . ." All Christians are called to be intercessors. God commands it and to not pray for others is sin (1Sam 12:23)! Jesus prayed for people when He was on earth and even when He was on the cross. We have to follow Christ's example to intercede for other people both saved and unsaved. Because Jesus closed the gap between us and God when He died on the cross, we can now intercede in prayer on behalf of others asking God to grant their requests according to His will. True intercessory prayer seeks God's glory, not our own. I pray for others on a routine basis because I have seen the results of intercessory prayer in my own life and how other people's prayers for me in times of trouble has greatly helped my situations.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect? What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

I believe he asked others to pray for him because :First, he believes the Bible. The second reason is that when one is under so much pressure, it feels like Moses holding up the staff as the Israelites crossed the Red Sea; we just get tired and need others to undergird us. It effects us because we know that God inhabits te praise of His people, all of them. Abraham asked God, "would you have the righeous suffer with the wicked?" Having others pray increases the righteousness of the prayer and gives us blessed assurance that while others would try to drive us to our knees in shame; we know it is a perfect position to pray. It is wonderful to know that others sharing this power are praying on our behalf. What has happened in my life is too great a burden for others to bear. Just know that in my own strengh, I could not have handled it. I know personally that God would not put more on us than we can bear. In those moments when it seemed I could not bear the pain of deceit, betrayal, dissapointment, shame, and attack, my phone would ring and someone would either need my help which would shift the focus from me to them or someone would contact me to express appreciation on how I have uplifted their life. This certainly reminds you that God does indeed have a purpose for my life and I dare not allow Satan to derail that plan. I know personally 1 Corinthians 10:13 is true, he will give us a way out in ways we coiuld never imagine.

As I was facing a serious illness, I knew that several people were praying for me.

Even though God chose not to take my illness away, I walked out of the hospital stronger because I knew I was not alone. I was miles away from my biological family, but God had given me a part of His family to be with me.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect? What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

Paul asked people to pray for him because God answers the prayers of His children. Jesus taught us, by example, to pray and He told us when we pray in twos and threes, His presence is in our midst. Love for others and praying that God's will is done in the earth causes me to intercede for others.

We are a family. God is the Head and we are is adopted children. We honor Him when we pray for each other. God loves to answer our prayers in His will and in His way and time. He wants us to love each other and one way to do that is to pray for each other. It isn't a matter of perfect words and all the la de dah that goes on but what is in our hearts that He cares about. Sometimes we ourselves are so in the midst of perplexing situations that others can see better to pray for us. We need each others prayers. We are not an island, we are connected with the living Holy Spirit and our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. And after all is done many can give thanks to their Father in heaven for His mercies on us.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

We are a family and families prays for one another. I had surgery in 1997, my family was back in Georgia, I was in Arizona. My Dad and his prayer group, prayed for me before the surgery. I was not scared or worried at all, I know God was with me and everything would be fine and it was. I had faith in my Heavenly Father and I know my earth father was talking to Him on my behalf. My Dad was my intercessor, as Jesus is our intercessor, and I try to be the intercessor for my daughters, and grandchildren. God tells us, we are to pray for each other and love one another. If God cares for the sparrow, how much more does he care for us? God is good! All the time!

"Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect? What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer? "

Paul surely believes in the power of prayer - not just for him to receive it but also for those who pray. We can learn compassion, empathy and greater love of others when we pray for them. It is an example our Lord showed us to pray.

Paul knows that God answers prayer. He also knows that prayer brings us into closer relationship as brothers and sisters as we "help together" (2 Cor 1:11). Prayers for him brought him to safety when all seemed hopeless. And when prayers are answered it grows faith, God is thanked and praised, and so God is brought honour by his people. In sum, prayer blesses the person/ s prayed for, the pray-er, and the Lord Himself.

Pual asked people to pray for him because he knew that God would answer intercessory prayers.

God has promised to hear the prayers of His children who come together in His name to pray. Such prayers produce the desired results- positve responce from God in our favour.

Paul asked for prayer because he knew there was power in prayer when people come together & pray. Jesus is in the midst of prayers when two or three are gathered in His name. I realize the power of prayer--both in my life and my son's life in two different illnesses--not knowing if we'd come out of them or not. We relied on prayer heavily at that time & God answered!

Paul ask people to pray for him because he want whatever come out of his mouth be words that come form God and not from him.so that he could teach people the mystery of the gospel.

The prays of other can have an effect when by God word when two or more touch and agreeon earth about anything you ask him by his father in heaven it will be done.

What help me get in the ministry of intersecession was going through some of the test that I had to go through. And how when I start to intercess for someone I know that God have given me that power to go before him.

Paul needs God's power to effectively minister. God tells us to pray for each other. It shows unity of purpose when many pray toward a specific goal. I've seen God answer prayer in miraculous ways.

Paul asks people to pray for him because it's scriptural! 1Tim 2:1,1 says, "There, I exhort first of all that supplications of, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men . . ." All Christians are called to be intercessors. God commands it and to not pray for others is sin (1Sam 12:23)! Jesus prayed for people when He was on earth and even when He was on the cross. We have to follow Christ's example to intercede for other people both saved and unsaved. Because Jesus closed the gap between us and God when He died on the cross, we can now intercede in prayer on behalf of others asking God to grant their requests according to His will. True intercessory prayer seeks God's glory, not our own. I pray for others on a routine basis because I have seen the results of intercessory prayer in my own life and how other people's prayers for me in times of trouble has greatly helped my situations.

Does Paul ask it because it's scriptural?

Or is it scriptural because Paul asks it?

Paul knows that God answers prayers and that the people will witness this, giving them an opportunity to see God in action and at the same time a reason for thanksgiving. We, as believers, are all united with Christ and with each other. We know from what Jesus told us, if even only as little as two believers pray together their prayers will be heard and answered. It not only enhances our relationships with fellow believers but also allows us to build a close relationship with God Himself. Having been a Christian for so many years I have on numerous occasions experienced the grace, mercy, and love of God in answering intercessory prayers. I know it is these prayers that help us turn the tide against the dark and evil powers of this world. Knowing that God is always in control.

We don't know how prayer works, but Paul is most certain it works and is necesary.

He couldn't do without this support.

First I thought I had no gifts, but then someone told me that I pray a lot for persecuted Christians, and that this is also a gift.

I don't understand all of this, but it feels like something that doesn't come just out of myself.

We should learn to pray for each other because we all facing different challenges in this life. Our Lord Jesus Christ pray for Simon Peter in Luke 22 v 31 -32 so that his faith may never fail and when he turn back he may strengthen his brother, praying for each other is very important . God will continue to deliver us.

PRAYER IN NUMBERS ARE POWERFUL. WE ARE TO PRAY FOR PASTORS, MISSIONANIERS AND ANYONE DOING GODS WORK.

THE EVENTS IN MY LIFE THAT LED TO PRAY ARE LOST FAMILY MEMBERS,

DEATH OF A LOVE ONE. WHEN WE HAVE THINGS TO HAPPEN TO US AND HEAR SIMILAR THINGS HAPPENING TO OTHERS IT ENCOURAGES US TO STOP AND PRAY FOR THEM.

JESUS TAUGHT HIS DISCIPLES ABOUT PRAYER. LUKE:11:1-4. THIS PRAYER TELLS US WHAT ORDER TO PRAY,FRIST PRAISE GOD AND THEN HE MAKES HIS REQUESTS. PRAISING GOD FIRST PUTS US

IN THE RIGHT FRAME OF MIND TO TELL HIM OF OUR NEEDS.

Intercession is our gift and God uses us as vessels of His mercy to accomplish His will on earth. When we pray, according to His will, He sees to it that His will is done. Pray according to His will...and all things will work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose ~ to be conformed to the image of His son, Yeshua.

Paul knew there was power in prayer and that God works on our behalf through our prayers as well as others prayers.When others intercede on our behalf, they are doing spiritual warfare on our behalf and pulling down the stronghold of the enemy in our lives.When I almost died many years ago as a moslem and doctors had given up hope, my sister took me to church and it was because of the prayers and petitions of faithful men and women of God that I ended up accepting Jesus as Lord and praise God I'm alive and not dead because of the power of effective, fervent prayer.Now I am an intercessor who prays for others and with great results.To God be the glory!!!

Truthfully, I wish I was perfectly organized in my prayer life, there ate so many to pray for by name, people I know, my family members, all the lost people. Since I'm not, I can still testify that GOD is leading me to understand that

1. HE is listening, and answering my prayers, and leading me to do more for HIM, to just say "Yes!"

2. He is guiding me, on the right path, and it is beautiful

3. HE want all to know what great things he has blessed me with even in 2011: a new full time job, a great new church, deeper love of people in general, and a desire to know GOD more deeply, and opportunities to evangelize, they are EVERYWHERE

So we must pray for others, as it teaches us to love them, and we become more like Jesus when we pray for others, though we can't move mountains of physical size, but HE can help us to move mountains in helping others remove the chains that keep them from being free like we are.

So, let us pray and thank HIM, let us praise HIS Holy name, let us adore HIM for HE has saved us from death, and given us eternal life. What a joy divine, to be near to HIM and to pray to HIM for others!

a. To help him by keeping them safe from their persecutors, and keeping them strong in faith and courage, and keeping the pathway between his heart and God open and flowing with the sureity of Gods love.

b. When I know others are praying for me, it gives me confidence, a feeling of Gods power entering into the problem so I can let the problem go into His hands knowing He will take care of it, in His time, in His perfect way.

c. As a child, I remember my mother always writing (no phone back then) my dads mom for intercessory prayer. Illness, troubles, whatever, my grandma and her friends at church prayed for us. As I grew up, mama still called grandma (now we had a phone) for prayer. With an example like that, how could I not pray for others? I'm not as faithful in prayer as my grandma, but God is still working on me. It is so good to know God loves us all and is willing to listen when we pray.

We are all, who have accepted Christ as our savior joint heirs to the Kingdom of God. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ. Paul ask other Christians to intercede for him, as brothers and sisters it is important that we lift one another up to God. To pray for one another's provisions.

Matthew 18:20(KJV)

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Christ promises to be in the midst of those praying for one another. Through Faith, believing that Christ will hear all prayers ,Paul ask for prayers from his brothers and sisters in Christ. Paul is beaten down so badly that death would be welcomed. As we suffered with Christ, we are also comforted by Christ. Paul wants his brothers and sisters to experience the comfort and hope found in Christ through prayer and supplication.

There have been many things in my life that have caused me to ask for intercessory prayer. The latest being an undiagnosed health issue. I have many people praying for me, including our prayer team at our church. Please pray for me also.

God Bless,

Thank You!

Pauls Asks people to pray for him because God does hear and answers and the effect of many people praying together becomes as one mind in one accord. "for where two or three come together in my name there am I with them" Matthew 18: 19-20. joining a Bible study group within my church has opened the ministry of intercessory prayer by caring and praying for our fellow members within and without the church.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him?

Because Paul knows the value of intercessory prayer not only for the ones being prayed for but also the ones doing the praying. It increases our faith and brings us closer to one another.

How do the prayers of others have an effect?

It increases the faith of all those praying and is an encouragement to keep on praying.

What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

I was delivered from the sin of gluttony 4 years ago and now I interceed for others who are in bondage to that sin.

Also I really relied on the prayers of others when my daughter was missing and we did not know where she was. She was grown and had left on her own but she was not mentally well, God brought her back home after 5 months, this was several years ago but today she is well and serving the Lord!